[odbc] Retreiving full unicode data using Access ODBC driver.

I am building a Blog for my own person use, and I would like to be able
to use unicode characters outside the range of the ascii set.  However,
when I use odbc to access table data, Access returns question marks in
the place of the character data.

Is there any way to set the default encoding of access to "UTF-8," or,
alternatively, is there an odbc connection string that I could use to
connect to my database that would specify UTF-8 as the encoding?  It
would also be acceptable to use any other encoding that allowed Access
to pass all data through the connection.

Hopefully,
John "Otac0n" Gietzen

On 12 Jan 2006 21:41:35 -0800, SpoonfulofTactic@gmail.com wrote:

>I am building a Blog for my own person use, and I would like to be able
>to use unicode characters outside the range of the ascii set.  However,
>when I use odbc to access table data, Access returns question marks in
>the place of the character data.
>
>Is there any way to set the default encoding of access to "UTF-8," or,
>alternatively, is there an odbc connection string that I could use to
>connect to my database that would specify UTF-8 as the encoding?  It
>would also be acceptable to use any other encoding that allowed Access
>to pass all data through the connection.
>
>Hopefully,
>John "Otac0n" Gietzen

Are you talking about a web frontend connecting to an Acess (ie JET) database, or an Access frontend
talking to an eg Oracle or SQL backend?
Web front end connecting to a Jet backend.

Thanks in Advance,
John Gietzen

Using Iseries Access ODBC Driver with MS ACCESS 2003
When Trying attaching databases into MsAccess2003 using Iseries Access ODBC Driver (I'm in OS400 v5r2) I get an error message according to which the duration of connection is too long and so I can't attach the database although I got the list of the tables in the library I specified. Can anyone help me ? Thanks in advance. The timeout to dispay de data is small. You need to increase this timeout. The problem can occur when the tables are very very very (but very) big. "Bertrand Bard" <bbard@dehon.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:d01a5cc.0404280030.58f11d3e@posting.go...

MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC
Hi, I have two MS Access 2000 databases on my desktop. I need the data from both. I use the following code to read a table from the first db: PROC IMPORT OUT=table1 DATATABLE ="table1" DBMS = ACCESS2000 REPLACE; DATABASE="C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\db1.mdb"; RUN; This works fine. For my second database, using the same code but changing the file/table names, I get the following error: ERROR: Open cursor: ODBC--connection to 'DB2' failed. ERROR: Import unsuccessful. See SAS Log for details. When do I need to use ODBC and when do I not need it for reading Access databases? Is there some attribute of the 2nd database that I can change so that I don't require ODBC? Thanks, EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC
Hi Ernie, You probably have checked the easy stuff already. But just setting aside major connectivity issues for the moment, have you checked things like the table name? i.e. MSAccess can have spaces in the table names, SAS can't, but SAS has the 'table name'n notation for just such occurances. The failure could be connection or just a no match which will also fail the connection. Hope this is helpful. Mark Terjeson Investment Business Intelligence Investment Management & Research Russell Investments 253-439-2367 Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ernie P. Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 8:58 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC Hi, I have two MS Access 2000 databases on my desktop. I need the data from both. I use the following code to read a table from the first db: PROC IMPORT OUT=table1 DATATABLE ="table1" DBMS = ACCESS2000 REPLACE; DATABASE="C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\db1.mdb"; RUN; This works fine. For my second database, using the same code but changing the file/table names, I get the following error: ERROR: Open cursor: ODBC--connection to 'DB2' failed. ERROR: Import unsuccessful. See SAS Log for details. When do I need to use ODBC and when do I not need it for reading Access databases? Is there some attribute of the 2nd database that I can ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #4
I figured you already checked the easy stuff but just makin' sure. Mark :o) -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ernie P. Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 9:25 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC Hi Mark, All of my tables have underscores in place of spaces. Thanks, EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #2
I'm not sure about that, but I think the SAS-Access-to-MS-ACCESS IS a ODBC connection! You don't need to do anything. The error message is a bit strange: "...ODBC--connection to 'DB2' failed...". That has nothing to do with DB2 (the IBM database), but maybe the name of the second DB is DB2.mdb (?). Can't imagine that SAS gets in trouble with that. But it seems to be a synchronization problem. The "open cursor" usually means, that a task has locked the DB or at least a part of it. Don't think that MS-Access has sophisticated tools for locking parts of a DB, so I think that any other program has locked the complete DB. Maybe it is possible to lock at table-level? One question: is that really a second DB? Or is it another table in the same DB? What do you change, the DATABASE and DATATABLE? Or only one of them? Try to rename the whole DB (only a idea). Then any locking should be removed or the rename is impossible... Gerhard On Tue, 5 May 2009 11:58:12 -0400, Ernie P. <aaronevans@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >Hi, > >I have two MS Access 2000 databases on my desktop. I need the data from >both. I use the following code to read a table from the first db: > >PROC IMPORT OUT=table1 > DATATABLE ="table1" > DBMS = ACCESS2000 REPLACE; > DATABASE="C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\db1.mdb"; >RUN; > >This works fine. > >For my second database, using the same co...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #5
could it be a locking problem? What does the renaming of the .mdb file bring, any changes? Gerhard On Tue, 5 May 2009 09:28:38 -0700, Terjeson, Mark <Mterjeson@RUSSELL.COM> wrote: >I figured you already checked the easy stuff >but just makin' sure. > >Mark :o) > > >-----Original Message----- >From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of >Ernie P. >Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 9:25 AM >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC > >Hi Mark, > >All of my tables have underscores in place of spaces. > >Thanks, >EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #9
Hi, I set MSGLEVEL to 'I' and also specified the PRINTMSGLIST option. I'm unaware of how to get SAS to print more detailed msgs to the log. This has bothered me for a long time since I'm already looking at the SAS LOG when I read "See SAS LOG for details" Thanks, EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #7
strange thing... If you start a new SAS session and switch the 2 DBs, is it possible to read DB2 in that case? And do you get the error afterwords in DB1? Maybe that "cursor" is an open (not properly closed) cursor from SAS? Normally a cursor is a buffer which is defined and used in programs to access a DB-table. I used that for DB2 from PL1 and other languages on mainframes. Maybe SAS and / or the ODBC-connection can only handle one cursor at a time? Gerhard On Tue, 5 May 2009 12:29:30 -0400, Aaron Evans <aaronevans@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >Hi, > >I called the databases DB1 and DB2 just for illustrative purposes. I >should have known better than to use DB2. The actual names are something >different. > >They are definitely entirely different databases and tables. I was able to >rename the problem database without any issues. > >Thanks, >EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #10
Hi, I noticed today that for the database I can successfully read in SAS, under table type it says "Table: Linked Access" For the database that causes the error, it says "Table: Linked ODBC" Thought this information might help generate ideas. Thanks EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #8
Your original message has a log snip that says look to the sas log for details. What does it say? You should be able to have multiple odbc connections one right after the other--they execute one at a time. Or they should, unless MS Access is doing something weird behind the scenes--and the log may be able to tell us that (like, connection refused). CH On Tue, 5 May 2009 11:58:12 -0400, Ernie P. <aaronevans@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >Hi, > >I have two MS Access 2000 databases on my desktop. I need the data from >both. I use the following code to read a table from the first db: > >PROC IMPORT OUT=table1 > DATATABLE ="table1" > DBMS = ACCESS2000 REPLACE; > DATABASE="C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\db1.mdb"; >RUN; > >This works fine. > >For my second database, using the same code but changing the file/table >names, I get the following error: > >ERROR: Open cursor: ODBC--connection to 'DB2' failed. >ERROR: Import unsuccessful. See SAS Log for details. > >When do I need to use ODBC and when do I not need it for reading Access >databases? Is there some attribute of the 2nd database that I can change >so that I don't require ODBC? > >Thanks, >EP ...

Read-Only ODBC Access to MS Access 2000
I have created an ODBC File DSN data source in Windows XP. I have successfully used this DSN to link tables from a Sybase SQL Anywhere database to Access 2000. How can you make this ODBC connection read-only? P.S. I would like to make the ODBC connection itself read-only (if possible) rather than adding security to the MS Access DB. ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #3
Hi Mark, All of my tables have underscores in place of spaces. Thanks, EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #6
Hi, I called the databases DB1 and DB2 just for illustrative purposes. I should have known better than to use DB2. The actual names are something different. They are definitely entirely different databases and tables. I was able to rename the problem database without any issues. Thanks, EP ...

MS Access ODBC Driver
I need to export MySQL data to Access. As always, there seems to be more than one way to do this. I notice that PHP has: DB.php If I was doing this in perl, there would be an ODBC driver (DBD::ODBC). Is there such a thing in PHP? Can this play well with DBO? I see some commercial driver products, but my needs are modest as I'm not using any of Accesses special features, whatever those might be! Jeff In article <8cWdnZ0uWcbRty3VnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote: > I need to export MySQL data to Access. > > ...

Re: Which ODBC Drivers? (Unix SAS/Access to ODBC for Oracle &
Also consider using OleDb. It is newer and easier to use. Alan Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of ra Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 5:18 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Which ODBC Drivers? (Unix SAS/Access to ODBC for Oracle & Informix) Having read various SAS documentation and called SAS TS I am still less than crystal clear on what I consider to be a straightforward question: We are running SAS 9.1.3 on a Unix Solaris 64bit box. We wish to access Oracle data and Informix data from SAS using SAS/Access to ODBC, thereby eliminating the need to licence two SAS/Access products. The solution does not need to have particularly great performance as we will be using it overnight on small data volumes on an occasional basis. We have a trial SAS/Access to ODBC licence and the module will soon be installed. My questions involve the ODBC Drivers/ Managers. 1) Do we need both Driver and Manager for Informix and for Oracle or would one suffice for both databases? 2) Where do we get the Drivers/Managers from? Do Oracle or Informix supply them as part of their database software? 3) Are either of the above 'components' available free? I suspect that we need to purchase the Drivers and Managers. If so I have found that EasySoft and Data-Direct appear to market them. Are there any more out there which can be recommende...

Which ODBC Drivers? (Unix SAS/Access to ODBC for Oracle & Informix)
Having read various SAS documentation and called SAS TS I am still less than crystal clear on what I consider to be a straightforward question: We are running SAS 9.1.3 on a Unix Solaris 64bit box. We wish to access Oracle data and Informix data from SAS using SAS/Access to ODBC, thereby eliminating the need to licence two SAS/Access products. The solution does not need to have particularly great performance as we will be using it overnight on small data volumes on an occasional basis. We have a trial SAS/Access to ODBC licence and the module will soon be installed. My questions involve the...

problem accessing access 97 database through odbc on windows 2003 sp1
Hello, We have a legacy application which relies on an Access 97 database (upgrading is nog an option atm). As we are setting up a new server (Windows 2003), we started experiencing problems running that application after installing all required updates (Windows, Office, ..) It did work before updating, with a basic OS + application installation. Somewhere an update dit break things, but we do not know which one. Now for the problem. When starting the application, following error is returned: --------------------------- ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed ---------------------------...

ODBC: How to install Access 2.0-Drivers when Access 2003 is installed
Hi I'm running Windows 2000 and Office 2003. I want to copy tables from an unknown database format into Access 2.0 and I could do it quite easily if it weren't for the fact that recent ODBC-drivers aren't capable of writing into an Access 2.0 database (only reading). I do have the old Access 2.0 disks including odbc-driver, but it doesn't install on my machine (probably because the newer ones are installed...). And yes, I know that updating the Access-database is probably the first thought that everybody has, but it's not practicable in this case. So... how to install Access 2.0-drivers when Access 2003 is installed? Thank you! Stefan Serena You probably can't export it (although I hope somebody else can tell you how to do it) directly into Access 2.0. How about exporting your data into some other format that is readily importable into Access 2.0? Linda <StefanSerena@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137438159.285506.172070@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > I'm running Windows 2000 and Office 2003. I want to copy tables from an > unknown database format into Access 2.0 and I could do it quite easily > if it weren't for the fact that recent ODBC-drivers aren't capable of > writing into an Access 2.0 database (only reading). I do have the old > Access 2.0 disks including odbc-driver, but it doesn't install on my > machine (probably because the newer ones are installed...). And yes, I > k...

Error when using Microsoft Data Access Objects (DAO) to interface with MS Access
MATLAB doesn't seem to like several of the methods available with some MIcrosoft Data Access Objects (DAO). >> DBName = 'C:\CourseTechnology\86092-1d\Access\Brief\Case1\Videos.mdb'; >> SQLServer = DBInitialize; >> TableName = 'Client'; >> Data = DB.OpenRecordset(['SELECT * FROM ' TableName ';']); >> DB.TableDefs(TableName) ??? Index exceeds matrix dimensions. >> td = DB.CreateTableDef td = Interface.Microsoft_DAO_3.6_Object_Library._TableDef >> dbstr = ';DATABASE=C:\CourseTechnology\86092...

Web resources about - [odbc] Retreiving full unicode data using Access ODBC driver. - comp.databases.ms-access

Geotagging – one day later
The First Day When we were doing our projections for how many photos Flickr members would geotag, we though that we’d hit a million in the first ...

User Terence Eden - Stack Overflow
current community chat blog Stack Overflow Meta Stack Overflow Stack Overflow Careers your communities Sign up or log in to customize your list. ...

Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Sumisha Naidu @ sumishanaidu ...

Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Sociology/Archive 5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Culture has been nominated for a good article reassessment . Articles are typically reviewed for one week. Please leave your comments and help ...

Patient zero: ‘healer’ claimed to have powers to cure Ebola before she died of the disease
A herbalist working in a remote village in Sierra Leone who claimed she had special powers to cure Ebola may have helped the disease spread across ...

Member Login - Peoplebank Australia - IT Jobs and IT Recruitment
Peoplebank are Australias leading IT Recruitment Company Peoplebank have a focus on Temporary IT Recruitment Contract IT Recruitment Executive ...

IOS 7 - what do/don't you like - iPhone - Whirlpool Forums
... I like pretty much all of it, except the fact that you can no longer restrict how many email messages it downloads. It has been retreiving ...

How To Develop with Programmable Web API - APIhub
A Note from the Editor in Chief of ProgrammableWeb.com: In April 2014, ProgrammableWeb was both replatformed and redesigned. As a part of the ...

Arthrex - Forgot Username
Apps Arthrex.com Arthrex Vet Systems OrthoIllustrated.com TPT Online Shopping Germany / English Country: Afghanistan Åland Islands Albania Algeria ...

Conference App Secrets Part 3: JSON vs XML
Guest post by Ekkehard Gentz, BlackBerry Elite Developer This is Part 3 of my series, "Conference App Secrets." In Part 1, I demonstrated How ...