'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal''''''''''''''

Hello fellow programmers,

I am trying to run an append/update query from code, a command button
on a form initiates the queries.

the format i am using is;

SELECT "criteria"
FROM "criteria"
WHERE "criteria"
UPDATE/APPEND "field selections"

RecordSource "qryExample" = above text strings"

When i am running a SELECT query in this manner it works fine with no
problems, and accepts the values of specified linked form fields.

This never works when doing an APPEND/UPDATE query. It can never find
the values of linked form fields, Access always asks for the parameter
value of the field(s) in question, or Access comes up with an error
3323 - No recordset. I am sure there are other people that have had
this problem.

What is the difference between Select queries and append/update
queries? the append/update queries never seem to be able to find
values in linked form fields.

Can anyone shed any light on this or point to a knowledgebase Item, or
even recommend a book focusing on this subject, I will go and buy it
now.

I have been for up 2 nights trying to acomplish this and now
considering suicide, please help.

Thanks In advance,

Aaron.
0
aaron6392 (8)

I know of two ways you can accomplish this.

1. You can create the SQL script for you append or update query and run the
script with DoCmd.RunSQL.

2. You can create a query based on the SQL script and run the query with
<query object>.Execute.

Both ways are documented in Access Help. The first one is easier if you want
to create queries on the fly and if you do not want to save the queries
themselves.

HJ

"Aaron" <aaron@rapid-motion.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello fellow programmers,
>
> I am trying to run an append/update query from code, a command button
> on a form initiates the queries.
>
> the format i am using is;

> SELECT "criteria"
> FROM "criteria"
> WHERE "criteria"
> UPDATE/APPEND "field selections"
>
> RecordSource "qryExample" = above text strings"
>
> When i am running a SELECT query in this manner it works fine with no
> problems, and accepts the values of specified linked form fields.
>
> This never works when doing an APPEND/UPDATE query. It can never find
> the values of linked form fields, Access always asks for the parameter
> value of the field(s) in question, or Access comes up with an error
> 3323 - No recordset. I am sure there are other people that have had
> this problem.
>
> What is the difference between Select queries and append/update
> queries? the append/update queries never seem to be able to find
> values in linked form fields.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this or point to a knowledgebase Item, or
> even recommend a book focusing on this subject, I will go and buy it
> now.
>
> I have been for up 2 nights trying to acomplish this and now
> considering suicide, please help.
>
> Thanks In advance,
>
> Aaron.

0
hjiscoolno (40)

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' #2
Hi, Thanks for ur help there HJ. I know how to do the tasks you specified there. I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. please help. Aaron Hi Aaron, Could you post the entire code that you are having trouble with? Now it is not possible to see what goes wrong. HJ "Aaron" <aaron@rapid-motion.co.uk> wrote in message news:260d7f40.0408120245.2f3d01f8@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Thanks for ur help there HJ. > > I know how to do the tasks you specified there. > > I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the > fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, > DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the > values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; > > [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] > > a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. > > please help. > > Aaron First off, if you are not always using all the parameters specified in your form, then you have to add parameters to your query on the fly. Also, you can't just do something like qdf.SQL = "SE...

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y" tells you whether x and y actually refer to the same object. In the case of singletons like None (there's only one None object), it's better to use "is". "ElChino" <elchino@cnn.cn>: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: Do the following: take two $10 bills. Hold one bill in the left hand, hold the other bill in the right hand. Now, the bill in the left hand "is not" the bill in the right hand. However, the bill in the left hand "==" the bill in the right hand. > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. In almost all cases, both tests would result in the same behavior. However, the "is not" test is conceptually the correct one since you want...

'^=' and '~='?

if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
Hi, there. =20 I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this line : if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.')=20 =20 Igor Kurbeko Clinical Programmer Analyst 678 336 4328 ikurbeko@atherogenics.com =20 no brain no pain =20 how about: if not (str_mo in ('','.') or str_da in ('','.') or str_yy in ('','.')) OR if not (missing(str_mo) or missing(str_da) or missing(str_yy)) Eric On 22 Oct 03 21:13:37 GMT, ikurbeko@ATHER...

A function with 'and' , 'not' , 'null' , 'car' and 'cdr'
What's this ? (defun enigma (x) (and (not (null x)) (or (null (car x)) (enigma (cdr x))))) "I suppose I should learn Lisp, but it seems so foreign." - Paul Graham, Nov 1983 On Wed, Oct 07 2015, CAI GENGYANG wrote: > What's this ? > > > (defun enigma (x) > (and (not (null x)) > (or (null (car x)) > (enigma (cdr x))))) Bad taste? It returns T if the list X contains nil as an element. It would be clearer to write (some #'null x). Helmut CAI GENGYANG ...

error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attrib
Hi I'm trying to compile an ADC Driver & come acrosss the following error. I've no experience writing drivers before, and hence have no clue how to fix it. Hope someone out there has encountered the problem & suggesst a fix for the same. The Error is I get is : qadc.c: At top level: qadc.c:97: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'qadc_read' make: *** [qadc.o] Error 1 [root@localhost qadc]# ########################################################################### ADC Driver Code ##...

error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attrib
Hi I'm trying to compile an ADC Driver & come acrosss the following error. I've no experience writing drivers before, and hence have no clue how to fix it. Hope someone out there has encountered the problem & suggesst a fix for the same. The Error is I get is : qadc.c: At top level: qadc.c:97: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'qadc_read' make: *** [qadc.o] Error 1 [root@localhost qadc]# ########################################################################### ADC Driver Code ########################################################################### #define MODULE #define __KERNEL__ #include <linux/config.h> #include <linux/module.h> #include <linux/kernel.h> /* printk */ #include <linux/fs.h> / #include <linux/errno.h> /* error codes */ #include <linux/types.h> /* size_t */ #include <linux/proc_fs.h> /* proc file system */ #include <linux/fcntl.h> #include <asm/system.h> /* cli, flags */ #include <asm/uaccess.h> /* copy from/to user */ /*Registers to get qadc access*/ volatile unsigned short * qadcmcr = (unsigned short *)0x40190000; volatile unsigned short * qacr0 = (unsigned short *)0x4019000a; volatile unsigned short * qacr1 = (unsigned short *)0x4019000c; volatile unsigned short * qacr2 = (unsigned short *)0x4019000e; volatile unsigned short * qasr0 = (unsigned short *)0x40190010; volatile unsigned short * qasr1...

logical to 'on' / 'off'
Hi, is there a function implemented doing this conversion? my Problem is, that I want to use the following code: set(handles.edit_curr_trq_sl,'Enable',get(hObject,'Value')) where get(hObject,'Value') gives the state of a checkbox thank you! function [str]=tf2oo(logic) switch logic case 0 str='off'; case 1 str='on'; end%switch end%function tf2oo() while i do not know a built in function, I use my own:) meisterbartsch wrote: > > > function [str]=tf2oo(logic) > switch logic > case 0 > str='off'; &g...

Re: '^=' and '~='?
Duckhye, According to the doc ( http://xrl.us/befwjx ) they, and one other set of characters, and the mnemonic 'NE' all represent 'NOT EQUAL'. Art ------- On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:52:40 -0600, Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG> wrote: >Hello, >What is the difference between '^=' and '~='? > >Thanks, >Duckhye ...

replacement for '{' and '}' ?
I am still playing around with what kind of syntax I would like to mark up my documents. Are there equivalent long substitutes for { and } when they are not used to describe arguments to functions? Something like \begin{group} and \end{group}. In other words, if I could force myself to write, say, \begin{group} \it ... \end{group} instead of {\it ... }, then I believe I could identify from the markup context what is an argument that belongs to a just invoked macro and what is text. {Of course, in this context, \textit{...} would be better.} No more ambiguity whether a in \myfunction{a} is an argument or just text. Is there a way to make latex barf when it sees an ordinary '{' in text, rather than \begin{group}, but not barf when I want it (to denote macro arguments)? Regards, /iaw On Aug 16, 6:01=A0pm, "ivo...@gmail.com" <ivo...@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there a way to make latex barf when it sees an ordinary '{' in > text, rather than \begin{group}, but not barf when I want it (to > denote macro arguments)? What do you mean exactly? I don't understand. Do you have in mind your- to-be-new-syntax or just regular latex? Cheers, Tomek ivowel@gmail.com wrote: > I am still playing around with what kind of syntax I would like to > mark up my documents. > > Are there equivalent long substitutes for { and } when they are not > used to describe arguments to functions? Something like \begin{group} > and \end{gr...

'!' vs. '.'
Is there an advantage to using the '!' notation to represent form/ control relationships? (eg. Me!text1 vs Me.text1) I am currently using the '.' notation exclusively (for code completion in the VB Editor), but much of the high-quality code that I've seen (in Duane Hookom's Query-by-Form db, for example) uses the other. Here's one opinion for you: http://doc.advisor.com/doc/05352 robert.waters wrote: >Is there an advantage to using the '!' notation to represent form/ >control relationships? (eg. Me!text1 vs Me.text1) > >I am currently using the '.' notation exclusively (for code completion >in the VB Editor), but much of the high-quality code that I've seen >(in Duane Hookom's Query-by-Form db, for example) uses the other. -- HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro Please post back to this forum so all may benefit. Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200704/1 Here's my $0.02 worth on this. I tend to copy the notation style and naming conventions that I see being used in the Help files. That would be Me![text1] for a control on a form. I am of the belief that this notation explicitly refers to a control itself rather than a field in the form's recordset. Here's an example: I have a parts inventory app that uses a "Line" code, which is usually a 3-character abbreviation for a brand name, and is the na...

Override 'and' and 'or'
Is it possible to override 'and' and/or 'or'? I cannot find a special method for it... __and__ and __rand__ and __or__ and __ror__ are for binary manipulation... any proposals? Have marvelous sunday, Marco Dekker <m.aschwanden@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to override 'and' and/or 'or'? I cannot find a special > method for it... __and__ and __rand__ and __or__ and __ror__ are for > binary manipulation... any proposals? If you want to customize the truth value testing you have to implement __nonzero__ " __nonzero__( self) Call...

'a'..'z'
Is it possible to achieve something like this? switch (mystring.charAt(0)) { case 'a'..'z': // do something break; } "cruster" <cruster@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151319731.988814.326200@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Is it possible to achieve something like this? > > switch (mystring.charAt(0)) { > case 'a'..'z': > // do something > break; > } > There are times when an if statement may be more appropriate ;) Sorry - java is not VB :) -- LTP :) cruster schreef: > Is it possible to achieve somethi...

Does '!=' equivelent to 'is not'
I'm a bit confusing about whether "is not" equivelent to "!=" if a != b: ... if a is not b: ... What's the difference between "is not" and "!=" or they are the same thing? pirata wrote: > I'm a bit confusing about whether "is not" equivelent to "!=" > > if a != b: > ... > > if a is not b: > ... > > > What's the difference between "is not" and "!=" or they are the same thing? No, they are not the same thing. == and != test to see if the *value* of two variables are the same. Like so: >>> a = 'hello world' >>> b = 'hello world' >>> a == b True a and b both have the value of 'hello world', so they are equal is and is not, however, do not test for value equivalence, they test for object identity. In other words, they test to see if the object the two variables reference are the same object in memory, like so: >>> a is b False a and b are assigned to two different objects that happen to have the same value, but nevertheless there are two separate 'hello world' objects in memory, and therefore you cannot say that a *is* b Now look at this: >>> c = d = 'hello world' >>> c == d True >>> c is d True In this case, they are again the same value, but now the is test also shows that they are the same *object* as well, because...

Difference between 'is' and '=='
Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the result anywhere online. When is the right time to use 'is' and when should we use '=='? Thanks alot~ mwql: >Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the >result anywhere online. When is the right time to use 'is' and when >should we use '=='? http://docs.python.org/ref/comparisons.html -- Ren´┐Ż Pijlman mwql wrote: > Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the > result anywhere online. When is the right time to ...

difference between ',' and 'a,'
Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? Thanks Should be the same, in gforth: see , : , here cell allot ! ; ok see a, : , here cell allot ! ; ok On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 5:46:04 AM UTC-8, beeflo wrote: > Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? > > I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? > > Thanks beeflo <beeflobill@gmail.com> writes: >Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? > >I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? In Gforth itself, there is no difference. In Gforth's cross compiler, "a," is there for addresses, and "," is there for other cells; addresses can then be relocated when loading the image. - anton -- M. Anton Ertl http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/faq/toc.html New standard: http://www.forth200x.org/forth200x.html EuroForth 2014: http://www.euroforth.org/ef14/ ...

'[OFF]' as in 'offensive'???
Hi, given that 'off-topicness' is indicated as '[OT]' and taking a look at those postings that started the threads indicated as '[OFF]' (which may both be seen as being somewhat offensive) may lead to the conclusion that '[OFF]' stands for offensiveness. I don't think that this is the intended meaning so what actually *does* '[OFF]' mean? I never came across that abbreviation before (although I have been around on the USENET for quite some time) but maybe it is worth knowing? Josef 'Jupp' Schugt NOTE: mails >100 KiB are ignored -- German edition of comp.lang.ruby FAQ - http://oss.erdfunkstelle.de/ruby/ Aurox Linux - http://qurl.net/7q | http://qurl.net/7r - Firefox Thunderbird - http://qurl.net/7s | http://qurl.net/7t - Liferea Enigmail - http://qurl.net/7u | http://qurl.net/7v - GnuPG [Josef 'Jupp' Schugt <jupp@gmx.de>, 2004-12-10 23.20 CET] > I don't think that this is the intended meaning so what actually *does* > '[OFF]' mean? Off-topic. ...

We Are Selling The Nextel I930 For Just $130usd'''''''''''
Dear Customer We have all brands of Mobile Phones,Ipods,Sidekicks,Nextel phone,Laptops for sell at cheap an affordable prices, they ranges from Nokia/Samsung/LG/Son Ericsson/Motorola/Alcatel/panasonic With Bluetooth, al Brands and Models of Nextel Phones, we want you to get bac to us with your quote so that we can begin a good busines relationship. Note they are all Brand New T2 Euro specs unlocked, no operator logo, come in thei original sealed box, With 1 year international warrant from the manufacturer, English & Spanish manual, Finlan made We want to assure you that you will never regret buyin from us because the delivery will be to your doorstep vi FedEx Courier service.And the Tracking number shall be sen to you upon acknowledgement of your payment Kindly acknowledge the reciept of our mail and get back t us at mobiledealer_ltd@yahoo.co -- lolasam whats your url? lolasam wrote: > Dear Customers > > We have all brands of Mobile Phones,Ipods,Sidekicks,Nextels > phone,Laptops for sell at cheap and > affordable prices, they ranges from Nokia/Samsung/LG/Sony > Ericsson/Motorola/Alcatel/panasonic With Bluetooth, all > Brands and Models of Nextel Phones, we want you to get back > to us with your quote so that we can begin a good business > relationship. Note they are all Brand New T2 Euro specs, > unlocked, no operator logo, come in their > original sealed box, With 1 year international warranty > from the manufacturer, English &a...

Re: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ? #2
Igor, There are many ways to make it more concise, however the parsimony is likely to be achieved at the expense of clarity. For instance, the expressions length ( input (mm||dd||yy, $10.) ) > 2 length ( compress(mm||dd||yy, ' .') ) > 2 and like might be somewhat shorter than the original, but they will execute slower, and their intent is far less eminent. Since it appears that you are trying to validate the components of a date, maybe it is not a worthless idea to try the date informat conforming to the mask you are testing. Say if all the pieces are 2-digit, the expression input (mm||dd||yy, ?? mmddyy6.) will return a missing value for the case you are testing and also if any irregularities in the input value that prevent it from being interpreted as a valid date should be found. And if you want a note in the log to alert you about it, leave one of the question marks off. Kind regards, ================= Paul M. Dorfman Jacksonville, FL ================= >From: Igor Kurbeko <ikurbeko@ATHEROGENICS.COM> >Reply-To: Igor Kurbeko <ikurbeko@ATHEROGENICS.COM> >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy > not in ('','.') Any shorter ? >Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:13:37 -0400 > >Hi, there. > > > >I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this >line : > >if ...

Is there a 'break' or 'continue' in 'Do Unitl'... 'Loop'?
If some condition is met, I would like to move to the next record. I tried 'Exit Do', which exits, this is not what i want; i tried 'break' or 'continue loop', none of them works. so, now i used a label with GoTo clause. I am just wondering what is the correct syntax? Thanks, ming swingingming wrote: > If some condition is met, I would like to move to the next record. I > tried 'Exit Do', which exits, this is not what i want; i tried 'break' > or 'continue loop', none of them works. so, now i used a label with > GoTo clause. > I am just wondering what is the correct syntax? > Thanks, ming > The exit do is the correct syntax. Or you can have the same or a different condition itself in the do while statement. For example, the following is building a string, strRoute (for a list of hexes along a straight line in a hexagonal overlay of a map): Do While intCount <= Abs(dy) lngY = lngY + Sgn(dy) lngx = lngx + Sgn(dy) strRoute = strRoute & "," & lngY & "-" & lngx & "," & lngY & "-" & lngx - Sgn(dy) intCount = intCount + 1 If intCount > Abs(dy) Then Exit Do lngY = lngY + Sgn(dy) strRoute = strRoute & "," & lngY & "-" & lngx intCount = intCount + 1 Loop The exit do ...

We Are Selling The Samsung D500 For Just $189usd'''''''''
[...]

Re: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_ yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ? #3
> From: Igor Kurbeko [mailto:ikurbeko@ATHEROGENICS.COM] > I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody > how to abbreviate this line : > > if str_mo not in ('','.') > and str_da not in ('','.') > and str_yy not in ('','.') %*in autoexec:; %Let Blank = Blank; %Let Invalid = Invalid; %*in aFormat; PROC Format; value $StrValu %*somevalues = 'ok'; '','.' = "&Blank." %* other = "&Invalid."; ; %*in Program; if put(Str_...

Re: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_ yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ? #4
Igor, Without robust error checking: %macro check ( vars , values , op = in /* not in */, con = and /* or */ ) ; %local i w ; %let i = 1 ; %let w = %scan(&vars,&i) ; %do %while ( %length ( &w ) > 0 ) ; %if &i > 1 %then &con ; &w &op &values %let i = %eval ( &i + 1 ) ; %let w = %scan(&vars,&i) ; %end ; %mend check ; option mprint ; data w ; retain x y z "a" r " " s t "a" a b 99 c . ; if %check( x y z , ('','.'), op = not in ) then put &qu...

Removing the letters 't' 'i' 'x' and 'y'
Im having trouble with figuring out how to write a function which will remove the letters 't' 'i' 'x' and 'y' from any input string in matlab. for example modstr(pixy) should result in ans = 'p' or modstr(picture) should result in ans = 'pcure' if anyone could offer any help or hints i would really appreciate it. Thank You >> modstr=@(s) s(~ismember(s,'tixy')) modstr = @(s)s(~ismember(s,'tixy')) >> modstr('picture') ans = pcure % Bruno ...

Web resources about - '''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' - comp.databases.ms-access