3146 Error, and Invalid Argument Value error

I have recently upsized a client database to SQL Server.

The application is used to book people onto courses at a Conference
Centre/Adult Study Centre.

It was originally an Access FE/BE, all written by my client.  While
it's not bad as an "amateur" database, it has all the expected
failings of the inexperienced developer (poor table design, queries
operating on whole tables, macros running hither and yon mixed with
code etc.)

The FE resides on a server, and all users (about four or five at most)
connect to it.  The BE resides on a different server.

Recently, the users have been getting intermittent ODBC error messages
- mostly 3146 ODBC Call Failed, but also

ODBC Call Failed
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid Argument Value (#0)

What makes this very difficult to diagnose is that the errors are not
persistent.  Yesterday, for example, certain processes threw 3146
errors constantly.  Today, the same processes run without problems.

What I would REALLY like to do is to rationalise/normalise the data
design, move ALL the macros to code and redesign all the queries.
Sadly their budget is very limited.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to resolve the immediate,
intermittent problem?

Many thanks

Edward
0
teddysnips (320)

you should have upsized to ADP instead of linked front end.

Jet doesn't give concise, clear reliable error messages.
Only through cutting out the Jet _BS_ can you get to the root of the
problem.

On Dec 9, 1:26=A0am, teddysn...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have recently upsized a client database to SQL Server.
>
> The application is used to book people onto courses at a Conference
> Centre/Adult Study Centre.
>
> It was originally an Access FE/BE, all written by my client. =A0While
> it's not bad as an "amateur" database, it has all the expected
> failings of the inexperienced developer (poor table design, queries
> operating on whole tables, macros running hither and yon mixed with
> code etc.)
>
> The FE resides on a server, and all users (about four or five at most)
> connect to it. =A0The BE resides on a different server.
>
> Recently, the users have been getting intermittent ODBC error messages
> - mostly 3146 ODBC Call Failed, but also
>
> ODBC Call Failed
> [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid Argument Value (#0)
>
> What makes this very difficult to diagnose is that the errors are not
> persistent. =A0Yesterday, for example, certain processes threw 3146
> errors constantly. =A0Today, the same processes run without problems.
>
> What I would REALLY like to do is to rationalise/normalise the data
> design, move ALL the macros to code and redesign all the queries.
> Sadly their budget is very limited.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about how to resolve the immediate,
> intermittent problem?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Edward

0
aaron.kempf (199)
12/9/2008 3:42:01 PM
hi Edward,

first of all, you may ignore Aaron, he is our all beloved troll.

teddysnips@hotmail.com wrote:
> The FE resides on a server, and all users (about four or five at most)
> connect to it.  The BE resides on a different server.
Each user should (must) have its own FE on his local machine. This is
essential for an error free operation.

> Recently, the users have been getting intermittent ODBC error messages
> - mostly 3146 ODBC Call Failed, but also

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195225

Also run SQL Profiler and check what happens.

mfG
--> stefan <--
0
ste5an (4)

error or not an error ...
I was just testing out the R4 REXX thingy, and it found an error in the following program. My question is this, is it an error or not? My PC/REXX and Regina don't barf on it, but I thought they should've. _____________________________________________ /**/ ?.='' ?.z='batman' trace i if ?.z\==''then do; say '?.z=' ?.z; end ______________________________________________ Note that there is space before the THEN. I'm not sure of the exact rules for parsing an IF statement, I know that THEN is a "reserved" keyword when an IF statement is...

Phonon error: libv4l2: error getting pixformat: Invalid argument
Here is my code. I'm just trying to play an mp3 that I've clicked in a PyQT listwidget: @pyqtSlot() def item_clicked(self): row = self.listWidget.currentRow() song = musiclist[row] QCoreApplication.setApplicationName("Phonon") output = Phonon.AudioOutput(Phonon.MusicCategory) m_media = Phonon.MediaObject() Phonon.createPath(m_media, output) m_media.setCurrentSource(Phonon.MediaSource(song)) m_media.play() I'm running OpenSUSE Linux 12.3 Any ideas? Looking in /var/log/messages, eve...

Access Query and Invalid Argument Error
Hi, I have very serious problem with query in Access. I have, in my DB, a lot of forms with some buttons that I use to do query. When I press that buttons and query start I have "Invalid Argument" error because memo field lenght is greater than 128 char. If the type field is memo why I have this error? How I make to resolve this problem? Thanks Mara ...

When is an error not an error?
When it's OSS slopware, of course. http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Knode_send_error.png On 2006-09-12 02:42, * DFS wrote: > When it's OSS slopware, of course. > > http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Knode_send_error.png > Well, some time ago I had a problem with OE - too long reference line to other posts, and OE of course refused to send... then crashed. Should I name it a feature? -- Andrea On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 03:25:29 +0200, Andrea wrote: > On 2006-09-12 02:42, * DFS wrote: >> When it's OSS slopware, of course. >> >> http:/...

When is an error not an error?
The Java language specification claims in: 8.8.7.1 Explicit Constructor Invocations .... "If an anonymous class instance creation expression appears within an explicit constructor invocation statement, then the anonymous class may not refer to any of the enclosing instances of the class whose constructor is being invoked." Helpfully it gives an example: "For example: class Top { int x; class Dummy { Dummy(Object o) {} } class Inside extends Dummy { Inside() { super(new Object() { int r = x; }); // err...

Error Writing to MS Access Database with Replication
Greetings, I have a Microsoft Access database that is replicated accross several computers using the built-in Access replication technology. Access replication supports automatically synchronizing updates that have been applied separately to each copy of the database. When replication is enabled in MS Access, a number of "system" columns are added to every table in the database in order to facilitate the synchronization database. Note that these columns are not visible by default within MS Access. I would like to insert new rows into one of the tables in this database using PROC...

error in error code database
Hi, &nbsp; I have this error (screenshot provided), which problem is its asking for a password. I think this vi is ni developed. So,&nbsp;I have tried to reinstall labview but still this cannot work. Thanks, for any help. &nbsp; Best regards, Edwin &nbsp; error_code_database_password.zip: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/130546/1/error_code_database_password.zip Hi Edwin, The error is most likely caused by opening an LLB in a newer version of LabVIEW than the version it was developed on. It is commonly seen with the "Error Code Database.vi" when upgrading f...

MS Access 2.0 "reserved error -1302 There is no message for this error"
Hi, Folks! I am trying to resurrect a copy of MS Access 2.0 (MS Office 4.3) under WFW v3.11. I cannot start up Access because of a couple of error messages (paraphrased): 1. Opening Access: "Cannot open SYSTEM.MDA, file exclusively locked" 2. When I try to join SYSTEM.MDA in Workgroup Administrator it goes through okay but Access comes up with the same error message. 3. When trying to create a new SYSTEM.MDA file in Workgroup Administrator: "Reserved Error (-1302)..." What the Fudge!?! Does anyone know what's going on? Does anyone know how it can be fixed? A...

Error with mlabel: invalid parameter/value pair arguments.
Hi, I am plotting a map of data using the mapping toolbox and pcolorm. I've used the same script syntax a dozen times before without problem, however now I'm getting an error on mlabel and plabel. Bizarrely, this doesn't happen when the axes are set to a smaller domain, just when I use the extent of the lat-lon data. % axes setup p2 = axesm('MapProject','lambcyln','MapLatLimit',[min(mlat(:)) max(mlat(:))],'MapLonLimit',[min(mlon(:)) max(mlon(:))]); mlabel('LabelUnits','degrees'); setm(p2,'MeridianLabel','on',&#...

Objc Nubie: Errors Errors Errors
I've been toying with learning ObjC/Cocoa for sometime and finally got over the hump of "brackets vs. braces" but am wondering why my little test throws so many warnings when run: // gcc FileTest.m -o FileTest -ObjC -framework Cocoa #include <Cocoa/Cocoa.h> #include <Foundation/Foundation.h> int main( void ) { NSString * str = [ [NSStringalloc] initWithString:@"~/samplefromcocoa.txt" ]; NSString * full = [ NSString stringWithString: [str stringByExpandingTildeInPath ] ]; if( [ [NSFileManager defaultManager] fileExistsAtP...

makemap: error opening type hash map access: Invalid argument
i'm installing a new machine, and i ran into something that i haven't seen before, any help and pointers appreciated; let me know if more info is needed OS: linux sendmail-8.14.3 and db-4.8.24 (both compiled from source) # makemap hash access < access access.db: Invalid type 5 specified makemap: error opening type hash map access: Invalid argument # makemap -l hash btree # ldd /usr/local/sbin/makemap linux-gate.so.1 => (0xb77b8000) libdb-4.8.so => /usr/local/lib/libdb-4.8.so (0xb7644000) libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.s...

What causes inconsistent error: Error loading &quot;mydll.dll&quot; Invalid access to memory location.
I have a set of sample code vis which are wrappers around an external dll using the call library function nodes.&nbsp; These work in all versions of LabVIEW from 6.1 to 8.2.&nbsp; In version 8 and 8.2, there is an inconsistent error which appears after a vi is opened, run successfully, closed and then re-opened some time later - all without closing LabVIEW.&nbsp; The error is reported without an error number as 'Error loading "myDll.dll". Invalid access to memory location.'&nbsp; If LabVIEW is closed, reopened and the vi loaded again&nbsp;and run, it works...

E2900 error on boot: TL = 1, TT = 32. ERROR: Data Access Error -- Help??
Can someone help decipher this error below? Had Sun CE install 32Gb memory into 2 system boards (64Gb total), and now we are getting this error. We tried powering it back up with each system board individually, and get same error no matter which board is in, or both. So we're pretty sure it's not a single dimm that is the problem Sun Fire E2900 OpenFirmware version 5.19.4 (01/19/06 18:06) Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. Use is subject to license terms. SmartFirmware, Copyright (C) 1996-2001. All rights reserved. 32768 MB memory installed, TL = 1, TT = 32....

ADO Connection Open fails with error -2147467259 when MS Access database under Source Safe
Immediately after generating the Access application from the Source Safe project I get: "-2147467259 Could not use ''; file already in use." If Access database closed and then reopened I get: "-2147467259 The database has been place in a state by user 'Admin' on machine ..... that prevents it from being opened or locked." This error will then persist - even past a machine reboot and compact and repair of both application db (without source safe removal) and 'server' db. If I remove the Access application from Source Safe the ADO connection open...

Web resources about - 3146 Error, and Invalid Argument Value error - comp.databases.ms-access

Tax protester administrative arguments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tax protesters in the United States make a number of administrative arguments that the assessment of the federal income tax in the United States ...

'The most hurtful argument in the marriage equality debate...': Penny Wong
Labor frontbencher Penny Wong is used to to hearing arguments against same-sex marriage. But for Australia's most prominent gay politician - ...

Police: Argument over turtle prompts SWAT standoff - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel ...
A SWAT standoff is underway in the 3500 block of Linda Vista Drive. A man wanted for making criminal threats is holed up inside a mobile home ...

Donald Trump makes the religious argument at Liberty University
CBS News Donald Trump makes the religious argument at Liberty University CBS News LYNCHBURG, Virginia Before GOP presidential candidate Donald ...

The Moment You Realize You're Argument Is Weak
Can't play video Submitted by: (via s4w ) Tagged: gif , FAIL , Cats , fall Share on Facebook

Liberal Senator Says She Wants To Avoid ‘Constitutional Arguments’ During Hearing On Obama’s Executive ...
Liberal Senator Says She Wants To Avoid ‘Constitutional Arguments’ During Hearing On Obama’s Executive Gun Action

Judd Apatow Shoots Down Too-Much-TV Argument During Netflix’ ‘Love’ Panel – TCA
While some TV network execs may be giving the too-much-TV talk, Judd Apatow thinks it’s the best of times, not the worst of times. “It’s an amazing ...

OK, I'll Bite: The Anti-Fiscal Policy Argument
Paul Krugman sets us the task of coming up with a non-ridiculous anti-fiscal policy argument. Because, you know, recent experience shows us that ...

Federal Court to Hear Arguments in Transgender Restroom Case
A federal appeals court will hear arguments in a Virginia transgender student's lawsuit challenging his school's restroom policy

Tom Benson, estranged heirs make arguments in appeals hearing on Saints, Pelicans owner's competency
Lawyers for New Orleans Saints and Pelicans owner Tom Benson and his estranged heirs made arguments Thursday in the appeals hearing regarding ...