A Query Expression That Works in Access 2000 But Not In Access 2003

I have the following query expression -
Like Format(([Forms]![frmRunReports]![mm])) & "/*/" & ([Forms]!
[frmRunReports]![yyyy])
which would translate to e.g. 04/*/2007 if someone is running a report
for last month.  The above expression is part of a Where clause for a
date field.  It works fine in Access 2000 and pulls out the
appropriate # of records but in Access 2003, this expression
(apparently) evaluates differently and no records are extracted.  Is
this an area that might've changed between Access 2000 and Access 2003
or ?  Thanks for any suggestions and/or pointing me in the right
direction.
Sheldon Potolsky

0
SHPsalm139 (70)

I wanted to add one more thing.  The above behavior that I observed
(see previous append) occurred on another user's PC running Access
2003.  I just tried it from my PC running Access 2003 and it worked
fine.  This now leads me to think there may be a setting that I need
to look for as opposed to a change in how Access 2000 and 2003 would
evaluate the expression:
Like Format(([Forms]![frmRunReports]![mm])) & "/*/" & ([Forms]!
[frmRunReports]![yyyy])
Sheldon Potolsky

0
SHPsalm139 (70)
5/1/2007 1:46:27 PM
As you found, the expression is unreliable. It performs string matching on a
Date/Time field, which could fail if:
a) the user has different date settings than you intend, or
b) JET misunderstands the data type of the parameters in the query.

Assuming that you have this criteria under a Date/Time type field in your
query, you need to get an expression that is a Date/Time value, so JET
performs date/time matching, and gives you the correct results.

DateSerial() lets you assemble a real date/time value made up of the year,
month, and day.

But DateSerial() can't handle nulls, so you need to use Nz() for each of the
3 parts, so as to avoid this error. The example below uses the year and
month of the date if the text boxes on the form are left blank.

Try something like this in the Criteria row in your query:
>= DateSerial(Nz([Forms]![frmRunReports]![yyyy], Year(Date())),
Nz([Forms]![frmRunReports]![mm]), Month(Date())), 1)
And < DateSerial(Nz([Forms]![frmRunReports]![yyyy], Year(Date())),
Nz([Forms]![frmRunReports]![mm]), Month(Date())) + 1, 1)

That's untested, and you may have to fix it up (e.g. if I mismatched the
brackets.)

The expression asks for all dates greater than or equal to the first of the
month shown on the form, and less than the first of the following month
(i.e. the month plus 1.)

The expression is crafted so that:
a) it includes any entries on the last of the month that have a time
component as well as a date, and
b) JET can use any index on the date field (which it cannot do for string
matching), and
c) it will work regardless of the user's regional settings for dates.

"Sheldon" <SHPsalm139@aol.com> wrote in message
>I wanted to add one more thing.  The above behavior that I observed
> (see previous append) occurred on another user's PC running Access
> 2003.  I just tried it from my PC running Access 2003 and it worked
> fine.  This now leads me to think there may be a setting that I need
> to look for as opposed to a change in how Access 2000 and 2003 would
> evaluate the expression:
> Like Format(([Forms]![frmRunReports]![mm])) & "/*/" & ([Forms]!
> [frmRunReports]![yyyy])
> Sheldon Potolsky

0
AllenBrowne (3681)
5/1/2007 2:54:50 PM
Thanks Allen for that value information and pointers to those
functions.  I will make the required changes and alter the report a
bit in the process.
Sheldon Potolsky

On May 1, 10:54 am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
> As you found, the expression is unreliable. It performs string matching on a
> Date/Time field, which could fail if:
> a) the user has different date settings than you intend, or
> b) JET misunderstands the data type of the parameters in the query.
>
> Assuming that you have this criteria under a Date/Time type field in your
> query, you need to get an expression that is a Date/Time value, so JET
> performs date/time matching, and gives you the correct results.
>
> DateSerial() lets you assemble a real date/time value made up of the year,
> month, and day.
>
> But DateSerial() can't handle nulls, so you need to use Nz() for each of the
> 3 parts, so as to avoid this error. The example below uses the year and
> month of the date if the text boxes on the form are left blank.
>
> Try something like this in the Criteria row in your query:>= DateSerial(Nz([Forms]![frmRunReports]![yyyy], Year(Date())),
>
> Nz([Forms]![frmRunReports]![mm]), Month(Date())), 1)
> And < DateSerial(Nz([Forms]![frmRunReports]![yyyy], Year(Date())),
> Nz([Forms]![frmRunReports]![mm]), Month(Date())) + 1, 1)
>
> That's untested, and you may have to fix it up (e.g. if I mismatched the
> brackets.)
>
> The expression asks for all dates greater than or equal to the first of the
> month shown on the form, and less than the first of the following month
> (i.e. the month plus 1.)
>
> The expression is crafted so that:
> a) it includes any entries on the last of the month that have a time
> component as well as a date, and
> b) JET can use any index on the date field (which it cannot do for string
> matching), and
> c) it will work regardless of the user's regional settings for dates.
>
> --
> Tips for Access users -http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>
> "Sheldon" <SHPsalm...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >I wanted to add one more thing.  The above behavior that I observed
> > (see previous append) occurred on another user's PC running Access
> > 2003.  I just tried it from my PC running Access 2003 and it worked
> > fine.  This now leads me to think there may be a setting that I need
> > to look for as opposed to a change in how Access 2000 and 2003 would
> > evaluate the expression:
> > Like Format(([Forms]![frmRunReports]![mm])) & "/*/" & ([Forms]!
> > [frmRunReports]![yyyy])
> > Sheldon Potolsky- Hide quoted text -

SHPsalm139 (70)

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Accessing Access

VB6 and access 2000. query works in access but gets error in VB
I have created the query using one of the wizards in Access and it works. Formatted the query to use in a VB 6 project. However when I run it in VB I receive the following error run-time error '-2147467259' (80004005): Method'Execute' of object'_connection failed. The query uses several inner joins. I am pasting in the query, but please remember this query works well in Access. Any help I would greatly appreciate. Here is the query " SELECT Master_Customers.Name, Contract_Header.Contract_ID, Contract_Header.Type, Contract_Detail.Slot, Contract_Detail.Description, Contr...

Conversion: Access 2000 to Access 2003
All 12 of my department's machines are being converted next week from Windows 2000/Office 2000 to Windows XP/Office 2003. I have downloaded the Migration document from Microsoft for distribution but would like your input regarding Access as many of our group use it. I am concerned especially about linking to other Access databases. And about connecting to Dbo data. We also regularly connect to and from Excel files. All of our databases are rather small, and we do not share many, so SQL Server is not an issue. Looking forward to hearing your insight. As Lyle and David can attest to,...

Access 2003 macros in Access 2000
Hey, I created a database in Access 2003 (I didnt convert it to Access 2002-2003 format) with marcos and code. Now I need to run this database on a computer with Office 2000. I can open my database but can't run any of the macros. Is there anything can be done here except installing Access 2003? Your help will be very appreciated! San wrote: > Hey, > > I created a database in Access 2003 (I didnt convert it to Access > 2002-2003 format) with marcos and code. Now I need to run this database > on a computer with Office 2000. I can open my database but can't run > an...

Access 2000 vs. Access 2003
Is it possible to develop an Access app in Access 2003 that will run on Access 2000? Is it just a matter of selecting "Access 2000" from the Default File Format drop down list on the Advanced Tab of the Options dialog? I need to do some quick work for a client that runs Access 2000 and I've only been doing working on 2002/2003 projects since installing Access 2003 on my development workstation. Do I need to install Access 2000 on my development workstation? I assume 2000 and 2003 will co-exist without any issues. Thanks in advance. deko wrote: > Is it possible to deve...

Access 97 Converted to 2000 refuses to work on other PC with Access 2000
Hi I have an Access 2000 database which was written in Access 97 and then converted to Access 2000. However I cannot run the Access database on another PC with just Access 2000. It keeps on complaining as if it is an unconverted database or that I must join the workgroup. No workgroups were set in the original Access 97 PC so how do you know which workgroup to join ? I have tried the Knowledge base articles Q241141 and Q 241230 to no avail. Any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks Jozua ...

Corruption Manifests In Access 2000 But Not In Access 2003
Can anyone cast any light on the following. I have a database that I have written in Access 2003 using 2000 file format. Everything was working OK when running it under Access 2003 but when I tried running it under Access 2000 if fell over when I tried to open some of the reports. I then tried opening it in Access 2003 again and it brought up the message about saving a copy and repairing - but it wouldn't repair. I then decompiled, compacted and recompiled and it would run fine under both versions of Access with no problems. However after doing some changes using Access 2003 the same p...

Read-Only ODBC Access to MS Access 2000
I have created an ODBC File DSN data source in Windows XP. I have successfully used this DSN to link tables from a Sybase SQL Anywhere database to Access 2000. How can you make this ODBC connection read-only? P.S. I would like to make the ODBC connection itself read-only (if possible) rather than adding security to the MS Access DB. ...

Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003
Hi All, Our company is migrating from Windows NT to XP and in the process from Access 97 to Access 2003. Due to the phased rollout we are faced with a situation where some users are still on NT while others have been fully upgraded, but all users need to use the same Access databases. At first we tried just opening the Access 97 databases with XP but we were worried that some of the less computer-literate employees may click "yes" on the "Do you want to convert this database to the latest version" prompt. The solution we have come up with is to create an exact duplicate of...

Converting SQL Server 2000 query to MS Access 2000 query
Hello! I am trying to convert a query written for SQL Server 2000 database tables, to a MS Access query. Here is what I have in SQL Server: SELECT t2.*, CASE WHEN t2.QType = '3' THEN t1.Note ELSE CASE WHEN t2.QType = '2' THEN CASE WHEN CONVERT(varchar(100), t1.ANumber) = '1' THEN 'Yes' ELSE 'No' END ELSE CASE WHEN CONVERT(varchar(5), t2.Qnumber)+'.' + CONVERT(varchar(5), t1.ANumber) = t2.SubQ THEN 'Selected' ELSE 'Not Selected' END END END AS Client_Response FROM (SELECT * FROM ClientAnswer WHER...

access 97 to access 2003: query builder question
hi- this function IDSpecialCases works great in access 97 in the query builder but why doesn't it work in access 2003? would does anyone have any wild guesses? is it a problem with the dao reference? error message: undefined function 'IDSpecialCases' in expression. (Undefined function <name> in expression. (Error 3085) You entered an SQL expression that includes a Function procedure name that cannot be recognized. Make sure the function exists, that it can be used in SQL expressions, or check the expression to make sure you entered the name correctly.) OD Analysis: IIf(ID...

Can Shrink
I have an Access 2000 database with 4 memo fields in it named memo1 memo2 memo3 and memo4. Some fields have data in them and some don't. If I create a report and put the 4 fields (with no labels) in the detail section, keeping their height tall enough for one line of text and placing memo1 at the top of the section and memo2 directly underneath memo1 and memo3 directly under memo2 and memo4 directly under memo3, and make the 'Can Grow' and 'Can Shrink' properties both equal to 'Yes' for the 4 controls, and make the 'Can Grow' and 'Can Shrink' propert...

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soame active content has been disabled. Click for more details." then there is a button "Enable Content". Before and after I click the "Enable Button" the file tab only has print options available. Thank you for your help, jfcby jfcby <jamesfc30@gmail.com> wrote in news:f4dc9993-afa3-4fed-8180-22786eaa7f83@l14g2000yql.googlegroups.co m: > How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access > 2010 file format? > > According to Microsoft > (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ > convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? > queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is > possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the > print options only. > > How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to > display? ...

Warning when opening and Access 2000 file in Access 2003
Hi All, We are moving to Access 2003 in a month or so, so i started testing my data base files in v2003. When The mdb open I get 3 warning messagase about blocking unsafe expressions. Security Warning Unsafe excpressions are not blocked. Do you want to? Yes/No Security Warning Unsafe expressions are not blocked. You must have MS jet 4.0 Service pack 8 must be installed to block unsafe expressions. Do you want to open this file Yes/no This file may not be safe do you want to open it Yes/No I installed the Jet service pack and still get the warnings. What must I do to get rid of them? Thanks! Kathy *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! Set the security level to low or this will plague you forever dixie "kathyk" <kathy@meercat.com> wrote in message news:41c0b1b0$1_1@127.0.0.1... > > Hi All, > We are moving to Access 2003 in a month or so, so i started testing my > data base files in v2003. When The mdb open I get 3 warning messagase > about blocking unsafe expressions. > > Security Warning Unsafe excpressions are not blocked. Do you want to? > Yes/No > > Security Warning Unsafe expressions are not blocked. You must have MS > jet 4.0 Service pack 8 must be installed to block unsafe expressions. Do > you want to open this file Yes/no > > This file may not be safe do you want to open it Yes/No > > I installed the Jet service ...

Web resources about - A Query Expression That Works in Access 2000 But Not In Access 2003 - comp.databases.ms-access

Expression (sign language) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Signs with two different expressions. The pursed lips and partly closed eyes on the left, and raised lip on the right, are necessary for proper ...

Arab women artists and their long road to expression
At a London festival, female artists grapple with the issues facing their region and their own identities.

Christie’s Expressions At Trump Event Under Scrutiny
Donald Trump Holds Super Tuesday Election Night Press Conf. In Palm Beach PALM BEACH, FL - MARCH 01: Republican Presidential frontrunner Donald ...

Decoding The Facial Expressions Of The GOP Candidates
Trump's "crooked contemptuous" smile, Rubio's sheepish grin, and Cruz's upper lip of disgust dominated the debate. For tonight's Republican ...

You enjoy freedom of expression only because army guards borders: Delhi HC to Kanhaiya Kumar
The bail granted to Kanhaiya Kumar comes with several conditions, directives to JNU faculty and some serious observations

Bernie Sanders Brought His Finest Facial Expressions to the Democratic Debate
You may not like Bernie Sanders as a presidential candidate, but you’ve gotta admit, this man’s got some pretty expressive peepers. Read more... ...

Crosswords Help You Learn Regular Expressions
Regular expressions might seem arcane, but if you do any kind of software, they are a powerful hacker tool. Obviously, if you are writing software ...

Security, the Greatest Threat to Free Expression?
Like it or not, today we are all, in one way or another, engaged in a battle between perceived security and freedom of expression. And far too ...

Ruby Rose Helps Urban Decay Promote ‘Personal Self-Expression’ With New Modeling Campaign
Orange is the New Black actress Ruby Rose just signed a deal with cosmetics company, Urban Decay. The deal will certainly cast a positive light ...

It Turns Out Vanessa Hudgens' Expression of Love Was Highly Illegal
The Federal Government cares more about some old, dead, scratched up rocks in the desert than it cares about Vanessa Hudgens and Austin Butler ...