A way to "hide" or not display a field when entire field is null

I'm building my own crosstab table.

If a crosstab field has no data in the entire field (as a result of
filtering), I don't want to show that field.  Is there a way to do
this in a qry or frm object?
I'd use a pivot, but PT are too slow, and they sometimes crash with
amount of data (rows and columns) I'm talking about ..or I get an
exceeds capacity error message.
Thanks
Jerry

In a data sheet view, set the column names blank, then
auto fit the columns. This sample also shows how to
hide some named fields.  In data sheet view, hidden
columns are just columns with width 0.

Setting all the column names to blank is an odd thing
to do, but your alternative is checking all records for
non-null values.

(david)

Sub gsbBS_AutoFit(f As Form)
'(david)
    Dim intField As Integer

    For intField = 0 To f.Count - 1
        If TypeOf f(intField) Is Label Then
        Else
            If f(intField).Name = "Summary" Or Left(f(intField).Name, 1) =
"_" Then
                f(intField).ColumnWidth = 0
            Else
                f(intField).ColumnWidth = -2
            End If
        End If
    Next

End Sub

<jerry.ranch@pioneer.com> wrote in message
> I'm building my own crosstab table.
>
> If a crosstab field has no data in the entire field (as a result of
> filtering), I don't want to show that field.  Is there a way to do
> this in a qry or frm object?
> I'd use a pivot, but PT are too slow, and they sometimes crash with
> amount of data (rows and columns) I'm talking about ..or I get an
> exceeds capacity error message.
> Thanks
> Jerry

0
david
1/26/2006 10:58:27 PM
So David
I'd run this as an on open event, right?

> So David
> I'd run this as an on open event, right?
> Jerry

Yes, or after changing the recordsource, or after
applying a filter.

You can save the column names to an array so that
you can put them back after you have adjusted the
column width.  (We get our column names from a
table anyway).

(david)

>>In a data sheet view, set the column names blank, then
>>auto fit the columns. This sample also shows how to
>>hide some named fields.  In data sheet view, hidden
>>columns are just columns with width 0.
>>
>>Setting all the column names to blank is an odd thing
>>to do, but your alternative is checking all records for
>>non-null values.
>>
>>(david)
>>

>>Sub gsbBS_AutoFit(f As Form)
>>'(david)
>>    Dim intField As Integer
>>
>>    For intField = 0 To f.Count - 1
>>        If TypeOf f(intField) Is Label Then
>>        Else
>>            If f(intField).Name = "Summary" Or Left(f(intField).Name, 1) =
>>"_" Then
>>                f(intField).ColumnWidth = 0
>>            Else
>>                f(intField).ColumnWidth = -2
>>            End If
>>        End If
>>    Next
>>
>>End Sub

0
david

Specifying "target field" by calculation (in "Set Field")
In order to make a Find script as generic as possible, I want to be able to pass it (as parameters) a layout name, a field name, and a field value. So the script will go to the layout (using P1), set the field (using P2 and P3), and do the find. Trouble is, I can't see how to use P2 in the Set Field script step - it seems only to allow me to specify an actual field name (rather than a field name calculated from the parameter). Any suggestions? (FM9, PC). Carla. "Carla" <carla_sloan@yahoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht news:5eb843e6-9286-4051-a506-f348eebb6cba@e4g2000hsg....

split field by delimiter "|" but data have "\|"
Hi All When Our Application output to Oracle. We need replace below char as below in output file replace ' to /' replace " to /" replace | to /| Data File. A|08000326-20081215-104202|HEADER STATUS|39 Fields B|08000326-20081215-104202|CUSTOMER INFORMATION|55 Fields C|08000326-20081215-104202|PRODUCT DETAIL|90 Fields D|08000326-20081215-104202|BX+SO-1100-02|1|HK PROD||remarks/COPY FROM SO-1100-01 \|SO-1100-02\|\"REMARK\" \'REMARK2\' How to split field by "|" by awk ? I try to modify below awk program. but I does not understa...

Data with "," and field sepeator is ",", How to handle this
HI All How to handle Data with "," and field sepeator is "," ? Data file Case 1 field number two without "," "H","itest090708123","15014",..... "D","15014","SKO0000147" ... "D","15014","SKO0000147", .... Case 2 field number two with "," "H","itest090708123,RESENT","15014",..... "D","15014","SKO0000147" ... "D","15014","SKO0000147", .... I try below not work awk -v STR='...

MS Access 2003 Find/Replace "Search field as formatted" checked as default
If anyone can help...Whenevr I go into a form and use the ctrl+F to find something with the binoculars the "Search field as formatted" is checked as default. This seems to slow down the find considerably. If I uncheck it the search is usually instant. The problem is I dont always rememeber to uncheck it. Does anyone know a way to permantly change the default? Thank You ...

aligning fields in a "database"
i have data like asfjklfa|iweji|eiowtppioetw|iijfawe weuiofh|owe|iojwe|wepiou|667 weioutiou|wefjiojiow|skdj|ijq with fields separated by occurrences of a character that i can guarantee never occurs in the data fields (in this example, it's |), and i want to get asfjklfa |iweji |eiowtppioetw|iijfawe weuiofh |owe|iojwe |wepiou |667 weioutiou|wefjiojiow|skdj |ijq i tried understanding align.el, and align regexp in particular, but i've made no significant progress in the last 30', except that i developed a feeling that align.el is meant to solve different problems....

ACCESS "field list"
I would like a "field list" to appear in report design. Clicking the "filed list" icon nothing happens. Have tried dozens of ways to get a "field list", so far no luck! Have created over 5 ACCESS dBases in the past 3 years. What i want now is the simpleist Table and Query both have the same 9 fields. The report will be very simple, but no can find "field list". Any help will be much appreciated. William (Bill) Camp The only way I can cause what you describe is to not designate a Record Source for the report. What exactly did you intend to do with the field list once you have it? Use it to filter the report? If that's what you're trying to do, just create a combobox on an unbound form and specify that its rowsource be a field list of a given table or query... Then you can build filters all you want and pass them in the open event of your report. ...

detect "not null" field?
Hello, I have the following sql line in a php file $query = "select * from codes where " . user_code . "= binary " . "'" .. $result1 . "'" . "&&" . user_password . "= binary " . "'" . $result2 .. "'" . "&&" . demo . "='yes'"; which works fine but if I use .. demo . " !='yes' " when a demo field in the mysql table ( varchar / not null field) and has had no value added to it, this does not work. if I add no to this field then " ...

[rfc-dist] RFC 5462 on Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Stack Entry: "EXP" Field Renamed to "Traffic Class" Field
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5462 Title: Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Stack Entry: "EXP" Field Renamed to "Traffic Class" Field Author: L. Andersson, R. Asati Status: Standards Track Date: February 2009 Mailbox: loa@pi.nu, rajiva@cisco.com Pages: 9 Characters: 19372 Updates: RFC3032, RFC3270, RFC3272, RFC3443, RFC3469, RFC3564, RFC3985, RFC4182, RFC4364, RFC4379, RFC4448, RFC4761, RFC5129 I-D Tag: draft-ietf-mpls-cosfield-def-08.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5462.txt The early Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) documents defined the form of the MPLS label stack entry. This includes a three-bit field called the "EXP field". The exact use of this field was not defined by these documents, except to state that it was to be "reserved for experimental use". Although the intended use of the EXP field was as a "Class of Service" (CoS) field, it was not named a CoS field by these early documents because the use of such a CoS field was not considered to be sufficiently defined. Today a number of standards documents define its usage as a CoS field. To avoid misunderstanding about ho...

concatenating 3 fields into a "date" field
I have some unevenly spaced time series data to plot and I am having trouble figuring out how to handle dates. My struct has the following fields: year, month, day I would like to create a 4th field named "date" where I concatenate year, month, and day. Is this possible? I have not been able to find information in the help files. I could be searching with the wrong terms. Thanks "Kirk" <kwythers.nospam@umn.edu> wrote in message <gh1lna$soo$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I have some unevenly spaced time series data to plot and I am having trouble figuring out...

What are "Service Name" and "Target Name" fields?
Colleagues, When I look at the Unix "klist -v" output, I see the "Server:" field e.g. "Server: cvs/svn.sibptus.ru@SIBPTUS.TOMSK.RU", which is the kerberos-enabled server the ticket is for. However, in Microsoft's kerbtray.exe I see the "Service Name" and "Target Name" fields. What is the difference between them? They can be like Service name: DC01-SIBPTUS$@SIBPTUS.TRANSNEFT.RU Target name: ldap/dc01-sibptus.sibptus.transneft.ru@SIBPTUS.TRANSNEFT.RU What are those fields? Thanks a lot for any input. -- Victor Sudako...

Negative Numbers in "Identity" or" Autonumber" fields
Any thought's on using negative numbers as surrogate primary keys? Working with some folks who are of the opinion that using ranges such as -1,-2,-3 is appropriate for surrogate keys for code tables. I'm of the opinion that this is impractical, as, you can't show someone -1 apples or -1 cars (or whatever you are identifying...). Not seen this before. I realize, as long as these values meet the criteria of being a Primary Key (that is unique and not null) there is no problem (technically) with this approach. Thought on this approach as a matter of form? Tha...

Re: Fields "Who" and "Subject" have disappeared (2)
Hi, thank you for your help > Is there an empty line between the headers and the message body? Yes, there is one empty line. I deleted it, to shorten the message > Does "Tools" | "Filters" show any filters? > Is there any filter intended to recognize that specific address? Yes, I have 4 filters, but no filter about this adress > Try making a copy of your "In" mailbox (in Windows Explorer, > select only file "In.mbx" then use Ctrl+C followed by Ctrl+V); > restart Eudora, see whether mailbox "Copy of In" has the...

Strawman: Is MS Access a "database"?
I would argue that it is not. JET is a desktop DB engine. Sybase is a database Oracle is a database DB2 is a database. VB 6 is a front-end development tool. PowerBuilder is a front-end development tool. MS Access is a front end devlopment tool. --------------------------------------- What's got me going on this is that I keep hearing statements like "What! you're running a mission-critical application out of an Access database?" Or the latest, to the effect of, "Well, sure the app has been working a-ok for the past five years, but would you want people reading in th...

about "++" and "--"

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

bibtex: replacing "CA" for "Calif." in address field
My dept. style requires state names to be, e.g., "Calif." instead of "CA" for California, in the list of references.I could replace accordingly in my bib file, but I was wondering how much work it'd be to have the .bst doing that automatically. My address entries are like "address={San Francisco, CA}". Thanks, Felipe. PS: a list matching the two abbreviation schemes is available at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U._S._postal_abbreviations>. On 1/3/2009 1:33 PM Felipe G. Nievinski apparently wrote: > My dept. style requires state names to be, e.g., "Calif." instead of > "CA" for California, in the list of references.I could replace > accordingly in my bib file, but I was wondering how much work it'd be > to have the .bst doing that automatically. My address entries are like > "address={San Francisco, CA}". Is ease an issue? Do you know how to use a decent editor (e.g., Vim)? If both are yes ... Change ``, CA}`` to ``, } # CA`` and at the top of your .bib file add the line @string{CA="Calif."} Similarly for all your states. You could use the list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U._S._postal_abbreviations to automate this. Alan Isaac PS On this issue, I must disagree with your dept and with the Chicago Manual of Style. The "traditional" abbreviations are defunct. On Jan 3, 12:04=A0pm, Alan G Isaac <alan.is...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 1/...

Re : Re : messages without Fields : "Who" and "Subject" !!
>On Wed, 27 May 2009 18:15:47 +0200, "jlc" <jlc@nerim.fr> wrote: >>Hi, >>In my mailbox "In", every day I receive many messages where Fields "Who" and "Subject" disappeared ! >>For example, this message : >snip >>From: Yogeshwarsing Calleecharan <yogeshwarsing.calleecharan@ltu.se> >snip >>Subject: [WinEdt] font problem >snip >>I thank you very much if you can help me. >-- >Ajo Wissink >The headers you mention *are* in the message, so what is the problem? Yes, they are...

HOWTO??: change "Who" and "Subject" fields decoding method.
Dear all, Just a question regarding the Coding issue. Many of my mails are send from user using Traditional Chinese font (Big5). Is there any way I can change the decode method while displaying the messages (the "Who" and "Subject" fields of the IN box). Currently, most of them display as =?Big5...... etc. Thanks Simon ...

1.Enter space bar for field names and save the field.The field shoud not get saved and an alert should be there as"Space bars are not allowed"
Enter space bar for field names and save the field.The field shoud not get saved and an alert should be there as"Space bars are not allowed" Add a field without giving any name and save the field.The field should not get saved,and an alert should be there as "Field name is mandatory" Sound wrote on 28 Sep 2006 in comp.lang.javascript: > Enter space bar for field names and save the field.The field shoud not > get saved and an alert should be there as"Space bars are not allowed" > > Add a field without giving any name and save the field.Th...

How to combine "regular" fields and fields with references in one row?
Hello, I have a table with staff data, containing the usual id, name, address, etc. Moreover there are some fields (e.g. for nationality, rel. denomination, title, function) which hold integer or two-character indices rather than the actual value. The actual values are contained in separate tables. I do this for ease and safety of input checking in php. If the data of a particular staff member is to be reported, I would like to have a single query for the whole row, including the referenced values instead of the indices itself. Example: table staff(staff_id, staff_name, staff_...

Function to return "remaining" of field after it finds a character in the field.
Hi, another problem I have is that have compounded fields in my sql table. Example product@customer I need a simple function to return "customer", so it should return the value after "@", unfortunate "@" will sometimes be character number 6, sometimes character number 7 etc. regards Jorgen Solutions was : set ANSI_NULLS ON set QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON GO CREATE FUNCTION [sapserviceaccount].[UNTRUNK2] (@inp as varchar(100)) RETURNS varchar(20) AS BEGIN declare @out varchar(20); if LEN(@inp) > 0 begin set @out = right( @INP, (LEN(@INP)-CHARINDEX(&#...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Web resources about - A way to "hide" or not display a field when entire field is null - comp.databases.ms-access