Access 2003 and SQL Server 2005 Express

Hi,

I tried to migrate data of an Access 2003 application (.mdb) to SQL
Server 2005 Express.
Using the Wizard and choosing 'create a new database', I receive (a
French message saying roughly) '... migration wizard requires SQL
Server version 6.5 sp 5 and later ... connect to an SQL server source
of data.'.

Given that failure, I went to another PC running MSDE (according to
readme file it should be SQL server 2000 service pack 3). Started
migration and it worked just fine. Did some tests and this is really
what we need.

My conclusion has been that Access 2003 has trouble connecting to SQL
Server 2005. Trying to find an answer  browsing posted messages, it
sounds like both should connect. Is it just the method I am using that
don't work? The message says that 'the wizard' is not compatible,
is there another way?

I went back to the machine with SQL 2005 and created a small DB using
SQL Client. I started the wizard and this time using the 'use an
existing DB' option but in the end I received the same message.

Is Access 2003 compatible with SQL Server 2005 Express and if so, I
think I need some help about how to do it.

Thank you.

0
jmnaste (2)

On 26 Jun 2006 13:54:48 -0700, jmnaste@hotmail.com wrote:

Worked fine for me when I just tried (using the Northwind sample db),
so I don't think it's an inherent problem with Access 2003.
Are you on the latest service packs for Office and SQL Server 2005?
My instance is called <machinename>\SQLEXPRESS. Did you specify the
correct instance name?

-Tom.

Tom van Stiphout wrote:
> On 26 Jun 2006 13:54:48 -0700, jmnaste@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> Worked fine for me when I just tried (using the Northwind sample db),
> so I don't think it's an inherent problem with Access 2003.
> Are you on the latest service packs for Office and SQL Server 2005?

Maybe I am not on the latest SP for Office. Good point, I'll try that.

Thanks.
Jean-Marc.

0
jmnaste (2)
6/27/2006 7:04:27 AM
Just confirming:  Been using Access 2003 against SQL Server 2005 for several
months now.  No issue found on that score.
0
w_a_n_n_a_l_l_
6/28/2006 3:08:09 AM
If you are trying to transfer a MS Access database to a SQL Server 2005
database, I found this blog to have a good how-to / walk through...
http://cfpayne.wordpress.com/2006/07/23/how-to-import-microsoft-access-into-sql-server-2005/

jmnaste@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to migrate data of an Access 2003 application (.mdb) to SQL
> Server 2005 Express.
> Using the Wizard and choosing 'create a new database', I receive (a
> French message saying roughly) '... migration wizard requires SQL
> Server version 6.5 sp 5 and later ... connect to an SQL server source
> of data.'.
>
> Given that failure, I went to another PC running MSDE (according to
> readme file it should be SQL server 2000 service pack 3). Started
> migration and it worked just fine. Did some tests and this is really
> what we need.
>
> My conclusion has been that Access 2003 has trouble connecting to SQL
> Server 2005. Trying to find an answer  browsing posted messages, it
> sounds like both should connect. Is it just the method I am using that
> don't work? The message says that 'the wizard' is not compatible,
> is there another way?
>
> I went back to the machine with SQL 2005 and created a small DB using
> SQL Client. I started the wizard and this time using the 'use an
> existing DB' option but in the end I received the same message.
>
> Is Access 2003 compatible with SQL Server 2005 Express and if so, I
> think I need some help about how to do it.
>
> Thank you.

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

Loads of errors when querying MS SQL Server Express 2005 from Access 2007
Hi, I wonder if you could help - I have an SQL server database with four tables... I have a 'tblContact': ContactID,FirstName,LastName 101,Peter,Smith 102,John,Crow 103,Ed,Bye 104,Stuart,Jones I have a =91tblClient=92: ClientID,CompanyName 201,XYZCom 202,ABCCom I have a =91bltClientContactLinkTable=92: ContactID,ClientID, PositionID 101,201,301 102,201, 301 103,202, 302 104,202,302 And fiinally a tblPosition: PositionID,Description 301,Manager 302,Director The query below (when run through a Query Analyser connected diretly to the SQL server) displays the first and last name of all contacts along with the company they work for and the position the hold. If they don't have a position it returns 'no position'. SELECT tblClient.CompanyName, tblContact.FirstName, tblContact.LastName, coalesce(tblPosition.Description, 'no position') as Description FROM tblContactClientLinkTable INNER JOIN tblContact ON (tblContact.ContactID =3D tblContactClientLinkTable.ContactID) INNER JOIN tblClient ON (tblClient.ClientID =3D tblContactClientLinkTable.ClientID) LEFT JOIN tblPosition ON (tblContactClientLinkTable.PositionID =3D tblPosition.PositionID) GROUP BY tblClient.CompanyName, tblContact.FirstName, tblContact.LastName, tblPosition.Description ORDER BY tblClient.CompanyName However, If I connect to the server from Access so I can actually edit the data easily I get problems Once I'd added all the tables I need (through ODBC linked table), prefixed eac...

access 2003 and sql server 2005
Hi, Is there a patch that would make the two compatable? I can't seem to design or edit the design of anything in the queries/stored procedures/view tab in access. Thanks ken wrote: > Hi, > Is there a patch that would make the two compatable? I can't seem to > design or edit the design of anything in the queries/stored > procedures/view tab in access. Did you try? I know that one receives a message box saying that your changes will not be saved when one tries to edit. But, TTBOMK the changes are saved. Regardless, MS provides a very slick free download, Mangement Studio Express. IMO its interface is much superior to that of Access. Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition also has a Database Explorer that edits and manages SQL 2005 Express quite nicely. I haven't tried the last two with a full version of SQL 2005, but surely they won't even notice? ...

MS-Access 2003 & SQL Server
I have a form in a Access Project (SQL DB on the back end). On this form I have created a Combo box that pulls a list of dept and dept #'s from the DEPT table, and displays the dept name in the Combo box. I tried a view instead of a table but the Combo box would not update. On this form I also have a sub form. The sub form has on it, among other things, the following fields; SVCCODE, SVCODE TOTAL. I also have hidden on the sub form a GLCODE and GLDESC fields. What I need to happen is when the Main form Combo box is changed to a new dept desc, let say Radiology, I want the subform to display the radiology SVCCODE's only. What is actually happening is when the form opens a list of SVCCODES are displayed, I am not sure what they are connected to, and when I choose a dept name from the combo box the SVCCODE's display, on the subform, the department list of service codes. For example when I open the form, the subform starts off with the list of service codes I mentioned above and the Combo box is blank, but then when I change to a different department, in the combo box on the main form, the subform does not display those SVCCODE records correlating to the main forms combo box, instead it displays the SVCCODE's for the department in the list from the department table. So if I change to Radiology, it does not care and displays the BLOOD BANK SVCCODE's, those being the next department. One side note I can hit enter with the Combo box highlight...

Access XP / SQL Server 2005 Express?
Hello, Has anyone here used Access XP(2002) and SQL Server 2005 express? I'm wondering how well they work together if you were to create an ADP. Thanks! Rick ...

Access 2003 Patch for SQL Server 2005?
I am developing an Access 2003 frontend for SQL Server 2005. Problem: Access 2003 cannot update tables in SQL Server 2005 (but can update SQL Server 2000 tables) Is there a patch for Access 2003 to enable it to update tables in SQL Server 2005? Thanks, Bubbles bubbles wrote: > I am developing an Access 2003 frontend for SQL Server 2005. > > Problem: > Access 2003 cannot update tables in SQL Server 2005 (but can update > SQL Server 2000 tables) > > Is there a patch for Access 2003 to enable it to update tables in SQL > Server 2005? > > Thanks, > Bubbles It is true that an ADP project cannot update the DESIGN of tables in SQL Server 2005. You should be able to update the DATA though with no problem. If you are talking about design changes, then no there is no fix that I am aware of. ADPs are pretty much on their way out so I doubt that any sort of fix like that would be coming. -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:44:31 GMT, "Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote: ADPs have never been great at updating SQL Server objects. Fortunately SQL Server Management Studio is a free download. -Tom. >bubbles wrote: >> I am developing an Access 2003 frontend for SQL Server 2005. >> >> Problem: >> Access 2003 cannot update tables in SQL Server 2005 (but can update >> SQL Server 2000 tables) >>...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Why upgrade to MS SQL Server (be it 2000 or 2005) from Access (say, 97)?
Probably this question has been asked hundreds of times and yet net search has not generated satisfactory enough answer, at least, to me. And OK, let's assume your organization has more than 200 employees, just one measure to indicate that it's not small and data processing needs are quite extensive (for both OLTP and OLAP). We've heard so much about concurrency support, stability and performance. Are there any real persuasive paper out there to talk about it? Now, let me also put it in another perspective, say, you're a Microsoft sql server sales guy or gal for that matte...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Handle Triggers in MS Access 2003 with SQL Server as Back-End
Hi! I have a trigger created for Customer table. My front-end is access. What is the best approach to handle a trigger result when adding a new customer record? Below is the trigger script: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - CREATE TRIGGER dbo.trTrackInsert ON dbo.Customers FOR INSERT AS BEGIN -- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from -- interfering with SELECT statements. SET NOCOUNT ON; -- Validate the new record. -- Criteria: -- 1. Check if there is already a record in the NewCustTracker -- 1.1....

Ms Access upload to SQL Server 2005 BE & Sharepoint FE
I have about 20 Ms Access Databases to need to be upload onto a SQL Server 2005. Currently the are on a network/server residing on a specific drive. The goal is to keep the user face the same (ms access) and put all of the tables onto a SQL Server 2005 BE, and yet make those databases accessible to open/view through Ms Sharepoint. What is the simple (properties) way to grab all of those db's = 20 and upload to server? With out having to write code. Pull all db's over to SQL then store the Ms Access databases on Sharepoint where the user face remains the same and the tables are on th...

Fresh SQL Server 2005 giving problem in accessing access 97 file through Jet Ole DB Provider
Problem:Jet 4.0 Ole DB Provider stops working the momemt SQL 2005 server is installed. Environmental steps: 1.Installed XP Sp2 2.Installed SQL 2005 Server with SP1 3.Trying to import data from an access 97 file Actual problem:The linked server gets created but when try to read data we get attached error The problem displayed is following [02/19/07 18:24:47]: Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "MGMTREPORTS". OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for li...

Using GetOleDbSchemaTable and Visual Basic .NET for MS-Access and SQL Server Express
I need to write a VB.Net application that will take an mdb file (Access 2000) and create corresponding copy of it in SQL Express, creating all the tables and relationships, and transferring over the data (using an existing application like DTS in SQL Server or something else is NOT an option - this must be coded from scratch). The Access databases that it must be able to handle will only have tables, relationships, and data (i.e. no forms, macros, queries, reports). I see that in the System.Data.OleDb namespace there is the method GetOleDbSchemaTable that returns all sorts of schema informati...

Hosting advice needed for changing Access backend databases to SQL Server Express
After a virus that was so new that it wasn't in the antivirus checklist hit= a company where I work recently, the company that maintains the server sug= gested that Access backends not be used to store data to minimize attack ex= posure. The VP was delighted to see that I already had plans in place to m= ove the backend data to SQL Server Express for greater stability and for gr= eater security. In looking at the SQL Server 2014 requirements in: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506(v=3Dsql.120).aspx I saw included: "Installing SQL Server on a Domain Contr...

Web resources about - Access 2003 and SQL Server 2005 Express - comp.databases.ms-access

The Indian Express: Latest News, Breaking News Live, Current Headlines, India News Online
Indian Express covers latest news from India, all exclusive current headlines and India news live, including latest breaking news on business, ...

Local news, sports, obituaries, classifieds and more - Tallmadge Express
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) Gov. Chris Christie, who once famously called himself "the healthiest fat...

Hemsworth and South Elmsall Express
Congratulations, you're now registered! Let us know what news and updates you want to hear about and we'll send them straight to your inbox. ...

Sussex Express
Search continues for boy swept out to sea at... The search has continued today (Monday October 28) for the 14-year-old local boy who was swept ...

MV Colombo Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
a title it held until the Emma Mærsk was launched in 2006. Colombo Express holds 8,749 twenty-foot equivalent units (TEU), 730 refrigerated ...

City slicker Malcolm Turnbull hitches a ride on the urban express
Malcolm Turnbull wants his cities policy to be a trademark of his prime ministership.

City slicker Malcolm Turnbull hitches a ride on the urban express
Malcolm Turnbull wants his cities policy to be a trademark of his prime ministership.

China to Boost Express Delivery Service: Postal Chief
Workers work at a sorting center of an express company in Jiujiang, Jiangxi province, on Nov 11, 2014. [Photo:asianewsphoto.com] China will improve ...

UnitedHealth Takes on CVS, Express Scripts With Drugs Deal
UnitedHealth Group Inc.’s OptumRx unit struck an agreement to ease customers’ access to drugs through Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc.’s drugstores, ...

Terror watchdogs express concern about UK extremism plans
LONDON (AP) — Britain's current and former watchdogs over terrorism legislation say that government plans to crack down on nonviolent extremism ...