Access 2003 database will not open using Access 2002

Hi everyone.

I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but when
trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the following
error

"This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with a
later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..."

Could anyone please help to resolve this issue.

Many thanks.

Joe.

0
bugs0071 (15)

Use Access 2003 to decompile the database.

To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command
prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the
quotes:
    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"

Then compact the database to get rid of this junk:
    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair

Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version of
Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's supposed
to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open the database in
A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In practice, this doesn't
always work. The decompile explicitly discarding the binary, which usually
solves the problem.

This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling when
switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version.

"Bugs" <bugs007@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi everyone.
>
> I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but
> when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the
> following error
>
> "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with
> a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..."

0
AllenBrowne (3681)
12/1/2006 5:57:16 AM
Hi Allen

Thank you so much for that. Extremely appreciated.

I have performed the decompile using Access 2003 on the mdb file. I tried to
do it on the mde and it didnt work. I assume decompile is only for mdbs.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Joe.

"Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.invalid> wrote in message
> Use Access 2003 to decompile the database.
>
> To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command
> prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the
> quotes:
>    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
>        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"
>
> Then compact the database to get rid of this junk:
>    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair
>
> Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version of
> Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's
> supposed to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open the
> database in A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In practice, this
> doesn't always work. The decompile explicitly discarding the binary, which
> usually solves the problem.
>
> This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling when
> switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version.
>
> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia
>
> "Bugs" <bugs007@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but
>> when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the
>> following error
>>
>> "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with
>> a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..."

0
bugs0071 (15)
12/1/2006 11:27:30 AM
The MDE contains *only* the compiled binary.
Therefore it cannot be decompiled.

There's no way that the MDE created using A2003 will work in A2002.
However, the MDE created in A2002 can be used in A2003.

Each version of Access can read the binary from the versions before, but not
from later versions.

> Hi Allen
>
> Thank you so much for that. Extremely appreciated.
>
> I have performed the decompile using Access 2003 on the mdb file. I tried
> to do it on the mde and it didnt work. I assume decompile is only for
> mdbs.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Joe.
>

> "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.invalid> wrote in message
>> Use Access 2003 to decompile the database.
>>
>> To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command
>> prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the
>> quotes:
>>    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
>>        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"
>>
>> Then compact the database to get rid of this junk:
>>    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair
>>
>> Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version of
>> Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's
>> supposed to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open the
>> database in A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In practice,
>> this doesn't always work. The decompile explicitly discarding the binary,
>> which usually solves the problem.
>>
>> This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling
>> when switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version.
>>

>> "Bugs" <bugs007@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Hi everyone.
>>>
>>> I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but
>>> when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the
>>> following error
>>>
>>> "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created
>>> with a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..."

0
AllenBrowne (3681)
12/1/2006 11:39:55 AM
Thanks again Allen for helping sort through it all.

> The MDE contains *only* the compiled binary.
> Therefore it cannot be decompiled.
>
> There's no way that the MDE created using A2003 will work in A2002.
> However, the MDE created in A2002 can be used in A2003.
>
> Each version of Access can read the binary from the versions before, but
> not from later versions.
>
> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia
>
> "Bugs" <bugs007@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi Allen
>>
>> Thank you so much for that. Extremely appreciated.
>>
>> I have performed the decompile using Access 2003 on the mdb file. I tried
>> to do it on the mde and it didnt work. I assume decompile is only for
>> mdbs.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Joe.
>>

>> "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Use Access 2003 to decompile the database.
>>>
>>> To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the
>>> command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and
>>> include the quotes:
>>>    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
>>>        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"
>>>
>>> Then compact the database to get rid of this junk:
>>>    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair
>>>
>>> Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version
>>> of Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's
>>> supposed to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open
>>> the database in A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In
>>> practice, this doesn't always work. The decompile explicitly discarding
>>> the binary, which usually solves the problem.
>>>
>>> This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling
>>> when switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version.
>>>

>>> "Bugs" <bugs007@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

0
bugs0071 (15)

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon ...

Is it possible to open an Access 2007 accdb database in Access 2003?
I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? Robert Hi, Robert. >I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way >I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? Sorry. "Unrecognized database format." ACCDB's require Access 2007. HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials. Blogs: www.DataDevilDog.BlogSpot.com, www.DatabaseTips.BlogSpot.com http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/expert_contributors2.html for contact info. "Robert" <cpq1bcle@verizon.net> wrote in message news:S2O0i.38$eP6.33@newsfe06.lga... >I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way >I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? > > Robert > On Thu, 10 May 2007 19:25:51 -0400, "Robert" <cpq1bcle@verizon.net> wrote: Software rarely is forward compatible, and Access 2003 is no exception. Does your software anticipate the changes you'll make four years later? -Tom. >I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way I >could open an accdb database in Access 2003? > >Robert > "Robert" <cpq1bcle@verizon.net> wrote in news:S2O0i.38$eP6.33@newsfe06.lga: > I understand that new features would not be available but is there > any way I ...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007 #2
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon Simon van Beek wrote: > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in > Access 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon Yes. There might be some issues, though, depending on how you've programmed the db. Best suggestion, in my eyes, would be testing and playing around a little with *a* *copy* of the database and see what turns up. Most likely, you'd need to set the directory in which the database resides, as a trusted location. A very good sumup of "the good, bad and ugly" ;-) of Access 2007 is this list by Allen Browne http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Roy-Vidar Simon, Best wishes to you too. One question: why do you use so many carriage returns in your messages? They cause readers having to unnecessary scroll. Thanks, John "Simon van Beek" <SvanBeekNL@Versatel.nl> schreef in bericht news:495f3ebf$0$28733$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl... > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access > 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon >...

Opening access database for exclusive access
hi Folks, I am opening my access database file (Access 2003) from a C# application. The connection string specifies mode=Share Exclusive The intent is that the application have exclusive access to the database file. No other instance of MS Access or this particular C# application (or any other app) should be able to open the access database file concurrently. however it seems that this is not happening. A second instance of my program run from another computer under another LAN user id can successfully open a connection to the database using the same connection string, specifying Share E...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soame active content has been disabled. Click for more details." then there is a button "Enable Content". Before and after I click the "Enable Button" the file tab only has print options available. Thank you for your help, jfcby jfcby <jamesfc30@gmail.com> wrote in news:f4dc9993-afa3-4fed-8180-22786eaa7f83@l14g2000yql.googlegroups.co m: > How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access > 2010 file format? > > According to Microsoft > (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ > convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? > queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is > possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the > print options only. > > How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to > display? ...

Using Iseries Access ODBC Driver with MS ACCESS 2003
When Trying attaching databases into MsAccess2003 using Iseries Access ODBC Driver (I'm in OS400 v5r2) I get an error message according to which the duration of connection is too long and so I can't attach the database although I got the list of the tables in the library I specified. Can anyone help me ? Thanks in advance. The timeout to dispay de data is small. You need to increase this timeout. The problem can occur when the tables are very very very (but very) big. "Bertrand Bard" <bbard@dehon.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:d01a5cc.0404280030.58f11d3e@posting.go...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Problems Opening Access 2003 mde Files In Access 2002
I have several Access 2003 mde databases. When I try to open them in Access 2002 I get the following error: "The Visual Basic for Applications project in the database is corrupt." Interestingly I can open the mdb files of the same 2003 databases in Access 2002 without problems. To my understanding the file formats of 2002 and 2003 are the same and this problem shouldn't exist. And why is it only the mde files that are giving the problem? Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Any help would be appreciated. I thought that Access 2003 could only create MDE files if the MDB was...

Accessing Access

Using Access to 'access' an sql database on a webserver
Is this possible? I know about a bit about ODBC and found how to import an ODBC database stored on the computer, however I am after accessing an SQL database stored on a webserver. I'd like to keep it up to date, but that could probably be done with a macro. At the moment I'm just considoring possible options, so just need to know if it can be done, how easy and a rough idea of how. Any help would be much appreciated! Flic On 6 Oct 2006 03:59:25 -0700, "Flic" <FelicityP@gmail.com> wrote: I typically create an ADP, then connect to such db specifying the IP address...

Access 2002 mdb fails when used by Access 2002
We are having a problem with Access 2002 as opposed to Access 2000. A multi-file query was set up under 2000 and tested good. Access is connected through a link to an Oracle 9.1 database. The database (mdb) was installed in remote client machines working with Access2000 and it worked fine. When the query was put on an Access2002 machine, it came up with "ORA-01017 invalid logon/password", and fails. The failing machine passes other queries and operations with the same Oracle database without problem. Any help is appreciated. mainframetech wrote: > We are having a problem with Access 2002 as opposed to Access 2000. > A multi-file query was set up under 2000 and tested good. Access is > connected through a link to an Oracle 9.1 database. The database > (mdb) was installed in > remote client machines working with Access2000 and it worked fine. > When the query was put on an Access2002 machine, it came up with > "ORA-01017 invalid logon/password", and fails. The failing machine > passes other queries and operations with the same Oracle database > without problem. > > Any help is appreciated. > Is the query created in the query builder or via handcode? If handcode, is it possible something is misspelled? An incorrect reference? Since it's multi-file, perhaps send the user a set of that queries...each query truncate/remove one table and column references to that table. You might find which table it...

Web resources about - Access 2003 database will not open using Access 2002 - comp.databases.ms-access