Access 2003 vs Access 2007

The is a simple example of code that worked in access 2003 but does
not in access 2007.  I have checked it with the debugger and the
reason is the value of formField1 does not change in ver. 2007 in the
code as the docmd.gotorecord,,acnext moves down the records.  But it
does in ver 2003.  Any Suggestions?

Example of Table displayed in a continous form with 5 records.

Example Code:

When double Clicking on the 1st record the cursor should move to
record 4.

Private Sub formField1_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
   dim vTest as Byte

   vTest = 1

   Do While [formField1] = vTest
      DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNext
   Loop

End Sub

Thanks.
0
pballou (5)

Microsoft spent big bucks developing and streamlining the Access/
Windows GUI, including scrollbars and default navigation buttons. They
are fast, slick, and, TTBOMK, foolproof. Use them!
Forms are for editing data, not silly buttons.

On Aug 20, 9:28=A0pm, lyle fairfield <lyle.fairfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Microsoft spent big bucks developing and streamlining the Access/
> Windows GUI, including scrollbars and default navigation buttons. They
> are fast, slick, and, TTBOMK, foolproof. Use them!
> Forms are for editing data, not silly buttons.
>
> On Aug 20, 10:12=A0pm, pballou <pbal...@nctc.com> wrote:
>

> >=A0Any Suggestions?- Hide quoted text -

I just simplified the code to make it easy to understand the problem.
I am doing alot more than just trying to move down the page.  It is
part of scheduling program that moves through dates and times to find
open time slots.  With that being said do you have any ideas why the
values from the form are not changing??
0
pballou (5)
8/21/2008 2:41:28 AM
I don't see why the code would not work in 07.

I would do a few things:

first, do a debug->compile while looking at the code. Does it compile?

And, you could try:

   try using me.formField1 in place of [formField]. Or even me!FormField1

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

I don't see why the code would not work in 07.

I would do a few things:

first, do a debug->compile while looking at the code. Does it compile?

And, you could try:

   try using me.formField1 in place of [formField]. Or even me!FormField1

And, if it has spaces, then perhaps try:

    me![FormField]

--

pballou wrote:

> The is a simple example of code that worked in access 2003 but does
> not in access 2007.  I have checked it with the debugger and the
> reason is the value of formField1 does not change in ver. 2007 in the
> code as the docmd.gotorecord,,acnext moves down the records.  But it
> does in ver 2003.  Any Suggestions?
>
> Example of Table displayed in a continous form with 5 records.
>   1
>   1
>   1
>   2
>   3
>
> Example Code:
>
> When double Clicking on the 1st record the cursor should move to
> record 4.
>
> Private Sub formField1_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
>    dim vTest as Byte
>
>    vTest = 1
>
>    Do While [formField1] = vTest
>       DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNext
>    Loop
>
> End Sub
>
> Thanks.

Why is vTest set to 1?  Why not set vTest to the value of formField1?  Ex:

     dim vTest as Variant  'have no idea what formField1 is

     vTest = Me![formField1]

     Do While Me![formField1] = vTest
        DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNext
     Loop

BTW, are you updating formField1 as you loop thru the code?  Your
description of your problem, what is occurring, what should occur could
use some fleshing out.  Why should the value change?  Until you provide
a better detailing I believe you'll get some stabs and guesses at what
you are attempting to do as a fix, not a real solution.

0
oil (4047)
8/21/2008 3:18:42 AM
On Aug 20, 9:49=A0pm, "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...@msn.com>
wrote:
> I don't see why the code would not work in 07.
>
> I would do a few things:
>
> first, do a debug->compile while looking at the code. Does it compile?
>
> And, you could try:
>
> =A0 =A0try using me.formField1 in place of [formField]. Or even me!FormFi=
eld1

> --
> Albert D. Kallal =A0 =A0(Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKal...@msn.com

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sorry I replied to Author instead of reply.

I don't submit very many questions to the groups.
Normally I can find my answers just by reading other people's
questions.

This one has stumped me.

It will compile and I tried the me. and me! reference.  Still no
luck.
I've been trying everything for a couple of days.

This has been working fine at about 7 customers for several years.
One of my customers had their computers stolen and upgraded to 2007
and I tested the program and found this problem.  In my scheduling
program the docmd.gotorecord,,acnext moves down and back up the form
to record the dates and times already scheduled.

Any other ways to move up and down a form other than
"Docmd.GotoRecord,,acNext"?
I've already tried sendkeys with the down arrow and the tab key.  It
will move but it will still no change in the value.

I've put in a msgbox after each move statement to see if it is moving
and it does but no value changed.  It's like it gets the first
record's value but never updates as it moves.

Thanks
0
pballou (5)
8/21/2008 3:26:17 AM
You certainly can writet he code differt. I would perahps change the vTest
as byte to

dim vTest as Varient and see if that works.

I assume that other code in the application runs fine??

I am perplexed why your code don't work. There nothing inhenerent in 2007
that changed that should cause a problem.

You could rewrite the code as:

   Dim rst        As DAO.Recordset
   Dim vTest      As Variant

   vTest = 1
   Set rst = Me.Recordset
   Do While rst!FormField1 = vTest
      rst.MoveNext
   Loop

Note that you need to replace "formField1" with the actual name of the
underlying field in the table, NOT the actual name of the contorl used on
the form (often they are the SAME name, but often they are not).

Does most other code run just fine in the application?

Try the above..it should work

--

pballou wrote:
> On Aug 20, 9:49 pm, "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I don't see why the code would not work in 07.
>>
>>I would do a few things:
>>
>>first, do a debug->compile while looking at the code. Does it compile?
>>
>>And, you could try:
>>
>>   try using me.formField1 in place of [formField]. Or even me!FormField1
>>
>>--
>>Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
>>Edmonton, Alberta Canada
>>pleaseNOOSpamKal...@msn.com
>

> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> Sorry I replied to Author instead of reply.
>
> I don't submit very many questions to the groups.
> Normally I can find my answers just by reading other people's
> questions.
>
> This one has stumped me.
>
> It will compile and I tried the me. and me! reference.  Still no
> luck.
> I've been trying everything for a couple of days.
>
> This has been working fine at about 7 customers for several years.
> One of my customers had their computers stolen and upgraded to 2007
> and I tested the program and found this problem.  In my scheduling
> program the docmd.gotorecord,,acnext moves down and back up the form
> to record the dates and times already scheduled.
>
> Any other ways to move up and down a form other than
> "Docmd.GotoRecord,,acNext"?

Dim rst = Me.Recordsetclone
rst.bookmark = me.bookmark
Do while not rst.eof
	rst.movenext
	If field <> var then exit do
Loop
if rst.eof then rst.moveprevious
me.bookmark = rst.bookmark

> I've already tried sendkeys with the down arrow and the tab key.  It
> will move but it will still no change in the value.

> I've put in a msgbox after each move statement to see if it is moving
> and it does but no value changed.  It's like it gets the first
> record's value but never updates as it moves.

Yeah.  Tell us what you want to do.  What's all this about "change in
the value" stuff mean.

> Thanks
0
oil (4047)
8/21/2008 5:22:53 AM
Checking this it !!!SEEMS!!! that Access 2007 code does !!!NOT!!!
return the value of a textbox in the record to which we have moved
with DoCmd.GoToRecord from !!!WITHIN!!! the procedure where the
DoCmd.GoToRecord lives (after the DoCmd.GoToRecord is called). It
continues with the original value of the text box in the record before
DoCmd.GoToRecord is called. This is as the OP reported.

I was successful in retrieving this value only in the form's OnCurrent
event code as follows:
(Northwinds 2007 - Form:Purchase_Order_List

Dim SupplierID&

Private Sub Form_Current()
    SupplierID =3D Supplier_ID.Value
End Sub

Private Sub Purchase_Order_ID_Click()
    Dim TestSupplierID&
    TestSupplierID =3D Supplier_ID.Value
    Do
        DoCmd.GoToRecord
        If SupplierID <> TestSupplierID Then Exit Do
    Loop
End Sub

(What does this do? It moves down the continuous form while the
supplier is the same supplier as in the record where we started).

Have I tested this notion thoroughly? Nope!
Is the behaviour different than in earlier versions of Access? TTBOMR,
yes, but I didn't test that.
Could the OP solve his problem with my code modified? Maybe; my guess
is "Yes".
Could my code be streamlined. Sure. Go ahead!

On Aug 21, 4:35=A0pm, lyle fairfield <lyle.fairfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Checking this it !!!SEEMS!!! that Access 2007 code does !!!NOT!!!
> return the value of a textbox in the record to which we have moved
> with DoCmd.GoToRecord from !!!WITHIN!!! the procedure where the
> DoCmd.GoToRecord lives (after the DoCmd.GoToRecord is called). It
> continues with the original value of the text box in the record before
> DoCmd.GoToRecord is called. This is as the OP reported.
>
> I was successful in retrieving this value only in the form's OnCurrent
> event code as follows:
> (Northwinds 2007 - Form:Purchase_Order_List
>
> Dim SupplierID&
>
> Private Sub Form_Current()
> =A0 =A0 SupplierID =3D Supplier_ID.Value
> End Sub
>
> Private Sub Purchase_Order_ID_Click()
> =A0 =A0 Dim TestSupplierID&
> =A0 =A0 TestSupplierID =3D Supplier_ID.Value
> =A0 =A0 Do
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 DoCmd.GoToRecord
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 If SupplierID <> TestSupplierID Then Exit Do
> =A0 =A0 Loop
> End Sub
>
> (What does this do? It moves down the continuous form while the
> supplier is the same supplier as in the record where we started).
>
> Have I tested this notion thoroughly? Nope!
> Is the behaviour different than in earlier versions of Access? TTBOMR,
> yes, but I didn't test that.
> Could the OP solve his problem with my code modified? Maybe; my guess
> is "Yes".
> Could my code be streamlined. Sure. Go ahead!
>
> On Aug 20, 10:41=A0pm, pballou <pbal...@nctc.com> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 20, 9:28=A0pm, lyle fairfield <lyle.fairfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Microsoft spent big bucks developing and streamlining the Access/
> > > Windows GUI, including scrollbars and default navigation buttons. The=
> > > are fast, slick, and, TTBOMK, foolproof. Use them!
> > > Forms are for editing data, not silly buttons.

> > I just simplified the code to make it easy to understand the problem.
> > I am doing alot more than just trying to move down the page. =A0It is
> > part of scheduling program that moves through dates and times to find
> > open time slots. =A0With that being said do you have any ideas why the
> > values from the form are not changing??- Hide quoted text -

Lyle, You are the MAN!

This is exactly what I needed and I would never have found it.

Thanks.
0
pballou (5)
8/22/2008 2:12:17 AM
Salad <oil@vinegar.com> wrote in

> Dim rst = Me.Recordsetclone
> rst.bookmark = me.bookmark
> Do while not rst.eof
>      rst.movenext
>      If field <> var then exit do
> Loop
> if rst.eof then rst.moveprevious
> me.bookmark = rst.bookmark

Please don't recommend that people write code like that. Instead:

 With Me.RecordsetClone
   .Bookmark = Me.Bookmark
   Do While Not .EOF
     .Movenext
     If field <> var then exit do
   Loop
   If .EOF then .MovePrevious
   Me.Bookmark = .Bookmark
 End With

But if you *do* recommend unnecessarily initializing a recordset
variable, be sure that you clean up by ending your code with:

  Set rst = Nothing

XXXusenet (2387)
8/22/2008 4:43:20 AM
pballou <pballou@nctc.com> wrote in
m:

> I am doing alot more than just trying to move down the page.  It
> is part of scheduling program that moves through dates and times
> to find open time slots.

It is likely that you should be able to get the answer with SQL
instead of jumping around in a form's recordset (or RecordsetClone).

XXXusenet (2387)

Access 2003/Access 2007
I have a mde database file developed for a client. This was originally set up and run in Access 2003. Everything worked fine. Recently this client purchased several new computers. These computers came with Access 2007. Now whenever an Access 2007 user opens the database, it locks the database for all other users. I have checked all the Access settings I know to check. These new machines are also running Windows 7. I am not sure if this is enough information or if anyone has seen this behavior and may have some suggestions. Any help is appreciated. Hello, open the options ...

Is it possible to open an Access 2007 accdb database in Access 2003?
I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? Robert Hi, Robert. >I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way >I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? Sorry. "Unrecognized database format." ACCDB's require Access 2007. HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials. Blogs: www.DataDevilDog.BlogSpot.com, www.DatabaseTips.BlogSpot.com http://www.Access.QBuilt.c...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon ...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Accessing Access

Simultaneous users
Hello, I have upgraded a 97' Access database to Access 2010. The old database was used by a group of users simultaneously on a shared network location. The new database though can not be used by multiple users. Once a user is using the database the others are prevented from doing so. Is this expected to happen? Is this something that Access 97 allows but subsequent versions of Access forbid? I have confirmed users have read/write/modification permissions on the database folder. I read a solution to this is to split the database. I am willing to do so but only if it is absolutel...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007 #2
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon Simon van Beek wrote: > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in > Access 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon Yes. There might be some issues, though, depending on how you've programmed the db. Best suggestion, in my eyes, would be testing and playing around a little with *a* *copy* of the database and see what turns up. Most likely, you'd need to set the directory in which the database resides, as a trusted location. A very good sumup of "the good, bad and ugly" ;-) of Access 2007 is this list by Allen Browne http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Roy-Vidar Simon, Best wishes to you too. One question: why do you use so many carriage returns in your messages? They cause readers having to unnecessary scroll. Thanks, John "Simon van Beek" <SvanBeekNL@Versatel.nl> schreef in bericht news:495f3ebf$0$28733$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl... > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access > 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon >...

Access 2007 difference from Access 2003
I have some generalized table edit logic that works fine in Access 2003 but has a quirk in 2007. IN the form heading, the user selects the table from a drop down list. My code then looks up the descriptions of each field and populates the headings. It also populates descriptions for selection fields. In Access 2003 I have to issue a me.refesh in order to have these VBA set values visible. In Access 2007 that does not work. They flash on the screen then go away. When I do enter a selection and the selection works and displays records, then the column headings as well as description/labels of the selection fields are all displayed. all these fields I am setting via vba code are unbound. suggestions? bob ...

Access 2000 vs. Access 2003
Is it possible to develop an Access app in Access 2003 that will run on Access 2000? Is it just a matter of selecting "Access 2000" from the Default File Format drop down list on the Advanced Tab of the Options dialog? I need to do some quick work for a client that runs Access 2000 and I've only been doing working on 2002/2003 projects since installing Access 2003 on my development workstation. Do I need to install Access 2000 on my development workstation? I assume 2000 and 2003 will co-exist without any issues. Thanks in advance. deko wrote: > Is it possible to deve...

convert access 2007 to access 2003...cannot save
I was given a tracking database that some exec did. its an access 2007 database. I was told to convert it to 2003. BUT I get cannot save features that require the current file format etc...attachements, multivalued fields or offline data. I have no idea how to find some of this stuff. does anyone know how to find the things that prevent this from converting. I have access 2007 and sp1 installed. If there is a What's New listing in the help file, or at Microsoft.com, it should give you all the changes. I no longer have 2007 installed since the new version came out, but IIRC...

Access 2003 v/s Access 2007
Hi !! I'm about to develop a new project for a client. Should I go about it in Access 2003 or 2007 ? Purchasing it either for me or for my client is not a major consideration here ... what I'd like to know is the stability, speed & ease of use of both the products. I believe Access 2007 has a new file format too and that it may be slower. Could some of you gurus please shed some more light in detail on this ? Thx & Best Rgds, Prakash. On May 18, 10:19=A0am, prakashwadhw...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi !! =A0I'm about to develop a new project for a client. > > Should I go about it in Access 2003 or 2007 ? =A0 Purchasing it either > for me or for my client is not a major consideration here ... what I'd > like to know is the stability, speed & ease of use of both the > products. > > I believe Access 2007 has a new file format too and that it may be > slower. > > Could some of you gurus please shed some more light in detail on > this ? > > Thx & Best Rgds, > Prakash. It doesn't matter. 99.44% of an application's effectiveness and efficiency is directly dependent on the developer. A capable developer's application developed and running in Access's slowest version is likely to be much faster and more efficient than an incapable developer's application developed and running in Access's fastest version. How can we know? Here's one rule of thumb. If we complain, aloud or on pa...

Access 2007 db.accdb modified using Access 2010 can no longer be opened with Access 2007
Hi, A client sent me an Access 2007 db.accdb which I modified using 2010. The client could not open using Access 2007 "Unrecognized database format 'C:\RD\db.accdb". I tried to open using Access 2007 and got the same message. Does anyone have an explanation?? Cheers, Barry "Barry Edmund Wright" <barry.edmund.wright@witstoronto.ca> wrote > Does anyone have an explanation?? Explanation: It's easy to look back and make a version backward compatible because you can see and test with the older version (Access 2010 successfully opens the Access 2007 database) ; it's not nearly so easy to look forward and make a version (in your case Access 2007) forward compatible with whatever may be done in the _next_ version (Access 2007 not opening the database once it's been modified and saved in Access 2010). This is a known issue, discussed many times here in the newsgroup. What we don't know is whether Microsoft _thought_ they'd implemented both backward and forward compatibility in Access 2010. -- Larry Linson Microsoft Office Access MVP Co-Author, Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions, Wiley 2010 "Barry Edmund Wright" wrote in message=20 news:8d50cbbe-0804-40ed-a420-3f13d1da89f3@hs8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com...= >Hi, > >A client sent me an Access 2007 db.accdb which I modified using 2010. >The client could not open using Access 2007 "Unrecognized database >format 'C:\...

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soame active content has been disabled. Click for more details." then there is a button "Enable Content". Before and after I click the "Enable Button" the file tab only has print options available. Thank you for your help, jfcby jfcby <jamesfc30@gmail.com> wrote in news:f4dc9993-afa3-4fed-8180-22786eaa7f83@l14g2000yql.googlegroups.co m: > How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access > 2010 file format? > > According to Microsoft > (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ > convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? > queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is > possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the > print options only. > > How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to > display? ...

Access 2003 db compatibility w/ Access 2007
I have an db that was developed in Access 2003, but it was formated as Access 2000. The person who will be using the db is planning on getting a copy of ms/access 2007. Should we anticipate compatibility issues? Regards, SueB *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Susan Bricker <slbrick@verizon.net> wrote in news:1208142364_4189 @news.newsfeeds.com: > I have an db that was developed in Access 2003, but it was formated as > Access 2000. The person who will be using the db is planning on getting > a copy of ms/access 2007. Should we anticipate compatib...

Can Shrink
I have an Access 2000 database with 4 memo fields in it named memo1 memo2 memo3 and memo4. Some fields have data in them and some don't. If I create a report and put the 4 fields (with no labels) in the detail section, keeping their height tall enough for one line of text and placing memo1 at the top of the section and memo2 directly underneath memo1 and memo3 directly under memo2 and memo4 directly under memo3, and make the 'Can Grow' and 'Can Shrink' properties both equal to 'Yes' for the 4 controls, and make the 'Can Grow' and 'Can Shrink' propert...

Access 97 to Access 2003
Am about to upgrade several machines running access 97 to new boxes with access 2003. Got a massive access front end DB with a SQL back end. Guess I will have to "upgrade" that '97 front. Anyone have any advice or things to watch out for? Any VBA hasles? Horror stories?? Hope it goes seamlessly... Got enough headaches. Hi Tom. This link contains our experience with upgrading Access. It does not address the SQL Server aspects, but does describe Setup, Conversion, and Usability issues: Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003 at: http://members.iinet.net.au...

Web resources about - Access 2003 vs Access 2007 - comp.databases.ms-access

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

Facebook Expanding Access to Conversion Lift Measurement
Facebook launched conversion lift measurement in January 2015 with the goal of helping advertisers track conversions instead of clicks, and the ...

Planet OS Opens Access To Weather Data
... for software developers using weather data to power their apps, researchers and climate specialists enabling them to discover, access and build ...

Access your clipboard from any PC or Mac with 1Clipboard
1Clipboard is a free tool which enables sharing your clipboard contents with other PCs or Macs. The developer says that Android and iOS apps ...

Sci-Hub — Free access to every scientific paper ever published
Say what? How is it I only heard of this this week? Long story headlined "Should All Research Papers Be Free?" from the New York Times short: ...

US says losing access to China-claimed waters would be huge
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — A U.S. Navy commander warned Wednesday that if the United States lost access to international waters claimed by China ...

MIT, Harvard researchers push new way for users to control access to personal data
Cryptography researchers at MIT and Harvard have developed software called Sieve that is designed to help users keep track of encrypted personal ...

How to access Google Drive files faster with Launch Center Pro
... Launch Center Pro has solved many workflow problems for me over the years. Most recently it’s been an immense time-saver when it comes to accessing ...

Cal Investigation Finds Assistant Coach Sexually Harassed Reporter Who Accused Him Of Trying To Trade ...
... a copy of Cal’s investigation into the matter, and even Hufnagel’s own statements make it appear that he attempted to trade sex for access, ...

Paragon's early access starts now, no more progress wipes
Paragon is gearing up for launch in the future, but for now, Epic is keen on putting it into an Early Access phase. The good news is that there ...