Access 2007 db.accdb modified using Access 2010 can no longer be opened with Access 2007

Hi,

A client sent me an Access 2007 db.accdb which I modified using 2010.
The client could not open using Access 2007 "Unrecognized database
format 'C:\RD\db.accdb".

I tried to open using Access 2007 and got the same message.

Does anyone have an explanation??

Cheers,
Barry

"Barry Edmund Wright" <barry.edmund.wright@witstoronto.ca> wrote

 > Does anyone have an explanation??

Explanation: It's easy to look back and make a version backward compatible
because you can see and test with the older version (Access 2010
successfully opens the Access 2007 database) ; it's not nearly so easy to
look forward and make a version (in your case Access 2007) forward
compatible with whatever may be done in the _next_ version (Access 2007 not
opening the database once it's been modified and saved in Access 2010).

This is a known issue, discussed many times here in the newsgroup.  What we
don't know is whether Microsoft _thought_ they'd implemented both backward
and forward compatibility in Access 2010.

 --
 Larry Linson
  Microsoft Office Access MVP

0
accdevel (436)
1/22/2012 6:36:54 PM
"Barry Edmund Wright"  wrote in message=20

>Hi,
>
>A client sent me an Access 2007 db.accdb which I modified using 2010.
>The client could not open using Access 2007 "Unrecognized database
>format 'C:\RD\db.accdb".
>
>I tried to open using Access 2007 and got the same message.
>
>Does anyone have an explanation??
>
>Cheers,
>Barry

In a nutshell the basic problem is Access 2007 and 2010 use + share the =
same=20
format, but have different features.

In the past this has occurred. For example Access 2002 and 2003 don't =
have a=20
separate file versions. They share the SAME version.

The policy is quite much that two versions of office in a row now have =
to=20
use the same file versions. This "hopefully" allows easy of upgrade and=20
switching.

For most of office this works rather well. I mean from office 2000 all =
the=20
way up to office 2003 (3 versions of office), you only have two file=20
versions. And even more interesting was the defaults for most office =
2003=20
applications were to use 2000 file formats.

So over a span of quite a few years, and over a span of THREE office=20
releases there was VERY little issues in terms of switching from one =
version=20
of office to the next.

On other hand, when I attempted to support and develop using Access 2003 =
for=20
Access 2000 clients, I found that even after delivering the 2000 file, =
and=20
THEY on site created the mde, a good number of bugs and issues resulted=20
(note how THEY were creating the mde with a2000). In fact, the only fix =
was=20
to do a de-compile on-site in Access 2000, then re-compile, and THEN =
create=20
the mde in 2000. When we did this, EVERYTHING worked fine in the mde.

So nearly 10+ years ago I learned that it is a very bad idea to modify =
or=20
develop Access applications and send them backwards.

In fact even going back to the old DOS days of FoxPro etc., we always =
found=20
that moving forward to the next version was easy, but sending something=20
backwards was a risky proposition. So this is not new, and our industry =
has=20
a long history in this regards (and so does Access have many past =
examples=20
of this issue).

Ok, so building on the lessons learned above from basic history and=20
experience in my industry, a few things:

Install all the SP2 packs to office 2007.  A number of updates =
"improved"=20
the warnings and in fact would allow 2007 to open tables with 2010 =
features,=20
but they would become READ ONLY.  You want to ensure updates are also =
issued=20
to ACE (the data engine) since these updates are required for opening of =

tables.

If you have to share the database between the two versions, then use a =
LOWER=20
common denominator.  Just like you could not use 2003 features in 2002, =
the=20
file formats because they where the SAME. This made it very difficult to =

know or tell when you do something that would cause a failure in 2002. =
The=20
difference between the 2002/2003 file format and the 2007/2010 file =
format=20
is Access had such a HUGE number of changes in 2010.

So use the 2002/2003 format with 2007/2010. This will prevent you from =
using=20
2010 features into that mdb file, and BOTH will open the file without =
issue.

As I stated, I think due HUGE number of changes in 2010, Access 2010 =
MOST=20
certainly should have received a new file version. However there is that =

"nasty" policy for office that says no new file formats for "2" office=20
versions. As noted we seen this done in the past (2002/2003). However,=20
changes from 2002/2003 where not that great whereas changes from 2007 to =

2010 are.

So while I had problems in FoxPro DOS days, and even using Access 2003 =
to=20
send files back to 2000 users, then this simply suggests that sending =
files=20
back to previous versions can be problematic.

So, from all this:

Use a common lowest format that forces features to be restricted. So use =
the=20
2002/2003 format if you have to send data between 2007 2010. You have to =
do=20
this since we don't have a 2007 only format.

Have them install office sp2, for 2007. Then access 2007 should be able =
to=20
open the file. However tables with CALCULATED columns cannot be opened.=20
Also, tables with data macros (the new TRIGGER code) CAN be opened, but =
they=20
will be read only. You get a message to that effect (again, office sp2 =
for=20
2007 must be installed else you get the invalid format message).

An outline of the steps you have to take to allow this file to be used =
in=20
previous versions is outlined here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/cc907897.aspx

At the end of the day, this issue nor problem is not any different then =
back=20
in the FoxPro DOS days, the Access 2003 days, or today in the Access =
2010=20
days.

I do think however what is different here is the relative ease in which=20
touching the file with 2010 can cause issues with 2007.

And I think in this case the release cycle and the "policy" of forcing =
the=20
same file format may have helped most of the office programs,
but in the case of Access I think such a "same file" policy has hurt =
more=20
than it helped IMHO. In other words, a policy designed to make this=20
situation better has in fact made it worse.

--=20
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Pleasenospam_kallal@msn.com=20

"Barry Edmund Wright" <barry.edmund.wright@witstoronto.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A client sent me an Access 2007 db.accdb which I modified using 2010.
> The client could not open using Access 2007 "Unrecognized database
> format 'C:\RD\db.accdb".
>
> I tried to open using Access 2007 and got the same message.
>
> Does anyone have an explanation??
>
> Cheers,
> Barry

As has been pointed out, this is a common problem. Very frustrating - mostly
because Access doesn't point out when you're using a feature that isn't
compatible with Access 2007, and doesn't help you find it when you do. I've
run into this many times.

Oftentimes is the "empty cell" feature that gets you, if you use cells with
your forms.

Best thing is to create an Access 2007 database, and try to export your
forms, one by one, from 2010 to 2007. When you come across the form that's
causing the problems, you won't be able to export it. That should help you
narrow it down to find where the problem(s) is/are.

0
newsgroup766 (170)

Is it possible to open an Access 2007 accdb database in Access 2003?
I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? Robert Hi, Robert. >I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way >I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? Sorry. "Unrecognized database format." ACCDB's require Access 2007. HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials. Blogs: www.DataDevilDog.BlogSpot.com, www.DatabaseTips.BlogSpot.com http://www.Access.QBuilt.c...

Accessing Access

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon ...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007 #2
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon Simon van Beek wrote: > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in > Access 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon Yes. There might be some issues, though, depending on how you've programmed the db. Best suggestion, in my eyes, would be testing and playing around a little with *a* *copy* of the database and see what turns up. Most likely, you'd need to set the directory in which the database resides, as a trusted location. A very good sumup of "the good, bad and ugly" ;-) of Access 2007 is this list by Allen Browne http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Roy-Vidar Simon, Best wishes to you too. One question: why do you use so many carriage returns in your messages? They cause readers having to unnecessary scroll. Thanks, John "Simon van Beek" <SvanBeekNL@Versatel.nl> schreef in bericht news:495f3ebf$0$28733$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl... > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access > 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon >...

Access 2000 opening in Access 2007 Issue
Hi, I have an Access 2000 database that we have many Groups created in it which we are now trying to use in Access 2007. Each year we add a new group. For example, Sales 2004 Sales 2005 Sales 2006 Sales 2007 Sales 2008 Sales 2009 .... So, in Access 2000 I have just added a new group called "Sales 2010". However, when we open up this MDB in Access 2007, the newly created "Sales 2010" is not showing up. While still appearing when opening with Access 2000. This new group does not appear in "Navigation Pane or Navigation Pane Options" like all the others in Access 2007. Any thoughts and/or ideas? ...

Access 2003/Access 2007
I have a mde database file developed for a client. This was originally set up and run in Access 2003. Everything worked fine. Recently this client purchased several new computers. These computers came with Access 2007. Now whenever an Access 2007 user opens the database, it locks the database for all other users. I have checked all the Access settings I know to check. These new machines are also running Windows 7. I am not sure if this is enough information or if anyone has seen this behavior and may have some suggestions. Any help is appreciated. Hello, open the options ...

Can't Add "Mode" to Quick Access Toolbar in MS-Access 2007
I keep selecting and selecting, but it just doesn't show up. I also have no button in the ribbon for this, or any ability to get into other modes via the Office button. It's very frustrating; I had to search online for a keyboard shortcut to be able to access Design Mode at all. I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but it doesn't make sense. I can add and remove other buttons from the toolbar, why not Mode?? On Jun 19, 10:10=A0am, Heather <mywor...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I keep selecting and selecting, but it just doesn't show up. I also > have no button in the ribbon for this, or any ability to get into > other modes via the Office button. It's very frustrating; I had to > search online for a keyboard shortcut to be able to access Design Mode > at all. > > I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but it doesn't make sense. I > can add and remove other buttons from the toolbar, why not Mode?? I still don't get it, but this appears to only be the case when I'm using a database that was created in an earlier version of Access. When I start a new 2007 database, I have full functionality. ...

slow access using access 2007 on client/server
Hello all, I had this e-mail today from a user, and would like to get some ideas to pass along. Many thanks, all! Andy " my program is very very slow when more than two people are using the program. The database is installed on a desktop, which is about two years old. I am connecting with a Using Acer note book Intel Pentium-M 760 Processor 2GHz plus 2GB. However, when the database is install on the note book it runs very fast. However, if it's installed on the desktop , then it's painfully slow. Also, I have to ask my collegue to close is program before I can ope...

Access 2003 db compatibility w/ Access 2007
I have an db that was developed in Access 2003, but it was formated as Access 2000. The person who will be using the db is planning on getting a copy of ms/access 2007. Should we anticipate compatibility issues? Regards, SueB *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Susan Bricker <slbrick@verizon.net> wrote in news:1208142364_4189 @news.newsfeeds.com: > I have an db that was developed in Access 2003, but it was formated as > Access 2000. The person who will be using the db is planning on getting > a copy of ms/access 2007. Should we anticipate compatib...

Access 2003 database will not open using Access 2002
Hi everyone. I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the following error "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..." Could anyone please help to resolve this issue. Many thanks. Joe. Use Access 2003 to decompile the database. To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the quotes: "c:...

Opening access database for exclusive access
hi Folks, I am opening my access database file (Access 2003) from a C# application. The connection string specifies mode=Share Exclusive The intent is that the application have exclusive access to the database file. No other instance of MS Access or this particular C# application (or any other app) should be able to open the access database file concurrently. however it seems that this is not happening. A second instance of my program run from another computer under another LAN user id can successfully open a connection to the database using the same connection string, specifying Share E...

Access 2003 vs Access 2007
The is a simple example of code that worked in access 2003 but does not in access 2007. I have checked it with the debugger and the reason is the value of formField1 does not change in ver. 2007 in the code as the docmd.gotorecord,,acnext moves down the records. But it does in ver 2003. Any Suggestions? Example of Table displayed in a continous form with 5 records. 1 1 1 2 3 Example Code: When double Clicking on the 1st record the cursor should move to record 4. Private Sub formField1_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) dim vTest as Byte vTest = 1 Do While [formField1] = vTest DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNext Loop End Sub Thanks. Microsoft spent big bucks developing and streamlining the Access/ Windows GUI, including scrollbars and default navigation buttons. They are fast, slick, and, TTBOMK, foolproof. Use them! Forms are for editing data, not silly buttons. On Aug 20, 10:12=A0pm, pballou <pbal...@nctc.com> wrote: >=A0Any Suggestions? On Aug 20, 9:28=A0pm, lyle fairfield <lyle.fairfi...@gmail.com> wrote: > Microsoft spent big bucks developing and streamlining the Access/ > Windows GUI, including scrollbars and default navigation buttons. They > are fast, slick, and, TTBOMK, foolproof. Use them! > Forms are for editing data, not silly buttons. > > On Aug 20, 10:12=A0pm, pballou <pbal...@nctc.com> wrote: > > > > >=A0Any Suggestions?- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text - I just si...

Access 2007 Quick Access ribbon
Hi, Can it's possible to use a customized QAT in Access 2007 with a Ribbon using "USysRibbons" ? because in Access options i can't select 2 ribbon name. Thank's Can you re-word your question a bit? Not familiar with QAT, and I'm usually not bad with acronyms. Do you mean using different ribbon's based on the mode the program is in? Such as full access / manager mode, versus normal user mode. "Bob" <Bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:n5oSj.9280$ix.556@weber.videotron.net... > Hi, > > Can it's possible to use a customized QAT in Access 2007 with a Ribbon > using "USysRibbons" ? > because in Access options i can't select 2 ribbon name. > > > Thank's Sorry QAT is for "Quick Access Toolbar" (Toolbar on the top left), i want use a customized toolbar on my application but i can't use it both with a main ribbon ? I try this sample : http://www.accessribbon.de/en/index.php?Downloads:8 it's work perfectly for only QAT but not work with QAT and Ribbon. Thank (Sorry for my cheap english) "ARC" <PCESoft@PCESoft.invalid> a �crit dans le message de news:kooSj.12396$V14.9262@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com... > Can you re-word your question a bit? Not familiar with QAT, and I'm > usually not bad with acronyms. Do you mean using different ribbon's based > on the mode the program is in? Such as full access / manager mode, versus...

Question (Access 2002 and Access 2007)
Hi, I will be getting Access 2007 but I have Access 2002 on my machine. I want to keep Access 2002 and install new Access 2007. Will it be conflict or not ? Is there a website for me to find any errors, cannot be done, etc.? If it's okay to have two access programs on my machine, is there any ACCESS checker for Access 2002 and Access 2007. Your feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks You have lots of options here. If you do a custom install of Access 2007, you have the option to keep your previous versions. It will install A2007 into a different folder, and you can then start either version at will. (There is a delay of 20-30 seconds when you switch versions, as that version is registered with Windows.) Alteratively, A2007 can fully edit any MDB in A2000 or 2002/3 file format. You may still want the old version for specific purposes (e.g. creating an MDE, or custom toolbars.) For info on what's new in A2007, what's gone, what's broken, etc, see: Converting to Access 2007 at: http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. <learning_codes@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3cd76a5d-b686-4a94-ae81-5cdb43f88b91@h5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I will be getting Access 2007 but I have Access 2002 on my machine. > I want to keep Access 2002 and ins...

Converting from Access 2000 to Access 2007
I have continued to work with MS Office 2000, and am looking into an upgrade to 2007. Are there any major changes in Access that require retraining of Access 2000 users? I use Access largely for ad hoc queries and reporting on an old AS400 ERP database. Marguerite Plesko Redwood City, CA Access 2007 can open your A2000 MDB and use and modify it just as you did in A2000. However, the interface will be unfamiliar, e.g. the menus, toolbar, and database window are gone (replaced by ribbons and a navigation pane.) For more detail, about the changes involved, see: Converting to Access 2007 at: http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. <mmplesko@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c3850df7-0f9c-42f6-a2ea-83db539f4245@e38g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... >I have continued to work with MS Office 2000, and am looking into an > upgrade to 2007. > > Are there any major changes in Access that require retraining of > Access 2000 users? > > I use Access largely for ad hoc queries and reporting on an old AS400 > ERP database. > > Marguerite Plesko > Redwood City, CA ...

Access 2007 difference from Access 2003
I have some generalized table edit logic that works fine in Access 2003 but has a quirk in 2007. IN the form heading, the user selects the table from a drop down list. My code then looks up the descriptions of each field and populates the headings. It also populates descriptions for selection fields. In Access 2003 I have to issue a me.refesh in order to have these VBA set values visible. In Access 2007 that does not work. They flash on the screen then go away. When I do enter a selection and the selection works and displays records, then the column headings as well as description/labels of the selection fields are all displayed. all these fields I am setting via vba code are unbound. suggestions? bob ...

Why you can't open Access 2003 db with Access 2000
Hello Access gurus, I am curious as to why you can't open an Access 2003 Db with Access 2000. We have a Visual Basic application which is using DAO 3.6 to connect to the Access database. It IS able to open an 2000 and 2003 Db because they are all in Jet 4 database format, I assume. But when trying to open an Access 2003 Db from Access 2000 you get the 'Unrecognized database' Error. Aren't they the same database structure and the only difference is within the Access program?? Thanks for your help in advance. plau011@hotmail.com wrote: > Hello Access gurus, > I am curio...

Simultaneous users
Hello, I have upgraded a 97' Access database to Access 2010. The old database was used by a group of users simultaneously on a shared network location. The new database though can not be used by multiple users. Once a user is using the database the others are prevented from doing so. Is this expected to happen? Is this something that Access 97 allows but subsequent versions of Access forbid? I have confirmed users have read/write/modification permissions on the database folder. I read a solution to this is to split the database. I am willing to do so but only if it is absolutel...

Access 2007 Opening Access 2000 FE.mdb the first time is Slow?
Using A2007 (12.0.6334.5000) SP1 Jet 4.0 SP-8 I=92m New to Access 2007 I develop apps in Access 2000 and both FE.mdb and BE.mdb are in Access 2000 format I have a user that is getting a new computer with A2007 preinstalled. 1. When I open the Access 2000 FE.mdb the first time with Access 2007 it taks 7 minutes to open 2. When I open the Access 2000 FE.mdb a second and subsequent times thereafter with Access 2007 if only takes 20 seconds which is tipically normal There are no error messages and the application seems to work OK. What is happening during the first opening of the FE.mdb? After further analysis, I put a MsgBox in the On Open of my start-up form and it takes 7 minutes to get to the message box, then another 15 seconds to run all my start-up code and to my opening form which is normal How can I further trouble shoot this? Thanks, John JGravesNBS wrote: > Using A2007 (12.0.6334.5000) SP1 Jet 4.0 SP-8 > > I�m New to Access 2007 > > I develop apps in Access 2000 and both FE.mdb and BE.mdb are in Access > 2000 format > > I have a user that is getting a new computer with A2007 preinstalled. > > 1. When I open the Access 2000 FE.mdb the first time with Access 2007 > it taks 7 minutes to open > > 2. When I open the Access 2000 FE.mdb a second and subsequent times > thereafter with Access 2007 if only takes 20 seconds which is > tipically normal > > There are no error messages and the application seems to...

Data pastes into Access 2000 and not Access 2007
Hi all, The same database, developed in Access 2000 and opened in 2000 and 2007. Basically I copy some data from a xls into a table and have no problems doing this in access 2000 but get an error message with the access 2007 version. Does anyone have any info on this? On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 17:14:12 -0700 (PDT), Mat <matthew.kay@optusnet.com.au> wrote: YOU actually holds most of the info: what is the error message you are getting, and what is in the Paste Errors table? -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Hi all, > >The same database, developed in Access 2000 and opened in 2000 and >2007. > >Basically I copy some data from a xls into a table and have no >problems doing this in access 2000 but get an error message with the >access 2007 version. > >Does anyone have any info on this? Just an update I found this website detailing my issue and the solution. http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Errors/ExcelPaste/Clipboard.html ...

Web resources about - Access 2007 db.accdb modified using Access 2010 can no longer be opened with Access 2007 - comp.databases.ms-access

Genetically modified maize - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Genetically modified maize ( corn ) is a recombineered corn plant with agronomically desirable traits. Traits that have been engineered into ...

Retro Cars - The coolest modified classic cars on the App Store on iTunes
Get Retro Cars - The coolest modified classic cars on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

All sizes - Modified Photo: "Starry sky over Ontario farm" - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Organic farmer takes genetically modified crop case to WA High Court of Appeal
An organic farmer who failed in a bid to sue his neighbour after genetically modified canola blew onto his West Australian property wants to ...

Modified security system to be trialled at Parliament House
Commonwealth department employees, MPs and Senators and their families won&#8217;t be subject to strict security checks at Parliament House as ...

Modified online children's privacy rules take effect in US - U.S. Federal Trade Commission, regulation ...
Some websites and mobile app developers are confused about how to comply with revised rules governing the online collection of personal information ...

Zika virus: Oxitec develops genetically-modified mosquito
IN THE space of a few weeks, health authorities around the world have mobilised to fight what could possibly be the biggest global health threat ...

Motorists reprieved as Melbourne's busiest red-light camera spot to be modified
The intersection that catches more motorists running a red light than any other in Melbourne will be modified to give drivers fairer warning, ...

Stopping Zika may require genetically modified mosquitoes: UN
It may be necessary to use controversial methods like genetically modified mosquitoes to wipe out the insects that are now spreading Zika across ...