Access 2k upgrade to Access 2003 or SQL Server Express?

I'm having a system using Access 2000 as both front-end (queries,
forms, reports & temp tables for reports) & back-end (data) with
back-end running on the server. The application runs on the network
with around 15 users.

The back-end database is suffering from performance issues. There were
several corruptions since few months & one major corruption & corrupted
the MSysObjects table. Also, the system will run batch process that
generate hundreds to thousands of records in the transaction table,
which caused the transaction table being locked even though users just
trying to add new transactions even though the database has been
selected to use record-level locking. Furthermore, some queries are
very slow as they query the transaction table which has over 1.3
million records.

The company has just been covered by the corporate license (as a
company of the group) to update all PCs to Office 2003. Is upgrading to
Access 2003 help to get the system more stable/reliable? Is Access 2003
not so easy to corrupt? Can we get true record-locking or still
suffering from locking pages or even the whole table when adding
hundreds of records?

As upgrading to SQL Server is not an option at the moment (due to the
budget), I'm also looking to the SQL Server Express which is free. But
how hard is it to upgrade to SQL Server Express? There are lots of
codes using DAO recordset in the application, do I need to change all
to ADO? Is the front-end still in .MDB (database) or change to .ADP
(Access project)?

Thanks,
Ray

0
raypower33 (12)

"RayPower" <raypower33@yahoo.com.au> wrote

 > I'm having a system using Access 2000 as both front-end (queries,
 > forms, reports & temp tables for reports) & back-end (data) with
 > back-end running on the server. The application runs on the network
 > with around 15 users.
 >
 > The back-end database is suffering from performance issues. There were
 > several corruptions since few months & one major corruption & corrupted
 > the MSysObjects table. Also, the system will run batch process that
 > generate hundreds to thousands of records in the transaction table,
 > which caused the transaction table being locked even though users just
 > trying to add new transactions even though the database has been
 > selected to use record-level locking. Furthermore, some queries are
 > very slow as they query the transaction table which has over 1.3
 > million records.

I'd suggest you do some searching at Tony Toews' webstite,
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm -- he has the best collection of
information and links on avoiding corruption and improving performance that
I know of, for an Access mutliuser environment. A couple of more sites with
good information are Jeff Conrad's "Access Junkie" site... look for posts by
him in this newsgroup and the microsoft.public.access... newsgroups, and
Albert Kallal's site... again look for posts by Albert -- I think he carries
the site address in his SIG line.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

> The company has just been covered by the corporate license (as a
 > company of the group) to update all PCs to Office 2003. Is upgrading to
 > Access 2003 help to get the system more stable/reliable? Is Access 2003
 > not so easy to corrupt? Can we get true record-locking or still
 > suffering from locking pages or even the whole table when adding
 > hundreds of records?

Well, I feel more comfortable with Access 2002 or Access 2003, with all the
Service Packs and updates, than I do with Access 2000, with all its Service
Packs and updates. I've discovered quite a number of people who have
problems but have not got their IT department to apply the SPs and updates.

> As upgrading to SQL Server is not an option at the moment (due to the
> budget), I'm also looking to the SQL Server Express which is free. But
> how hard is it to upgrade to SQL Server Express? There are lots of
> codes using DAO recordset in the application, do I need to change all
> to ADO? Is the front-end still in .MDB (database) or change to .ADP
> (Access project)?
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

0
bouncer (4168)
4/10/2006 5:11:44 AM
Access 2003 uses the same version of the database engine as
Access 2000. There are unlikely to be any performance changes.

You can change to SQL Server Express without making any
changes at all, but explicit dao transactions are likely
to fail, and the system is unlikely to be any faster unless
you re-optimise for the new system. SQL Server will still
automatically upgrade record locks to table locks in some
situations.

Running batch processes across the transaction table that
the users are using is always a bad idea, and always scales
badly. One of the reasons I am not permitted to have direct
access to some of the Servers I use is because the dba
are afraid that some user may naively run a batch process
or query across the whole transaction table, bringing all
interactive use to a stop. Changing your server from a
file server to a sql server may buy you some time, but it
won't fix the fundamental design problem.

(david)

"RayPower" <raypower33@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> I'm having a system using Access 2000 as both front-end (queries,
> forms, reports & temp tables for reports) & back-end (data) with
> back-end running on the server. The application runs on the network
> with around 15 users.
>
> The back-end database is suffering from performance issues. There were
> several corruptions since few months & one major corruption & corrupted
> the MSysObjects table. Also, the system will run batch process that
> generate hundreds to thousands of records in the transaction table,
> which caused the transaction table being locked even though users just
> trying to add new transactions even though the database has been
> selected to use record-level locking. Furthermore, some queries are
> very slow as they query the transaction table which has over 1.3
> million records.
>
> The company has just been covered by the corporate license (as a
> company of the group) to update all PCs to Office 2003. Is upgrading to
> Access 2003 help to get the system more stable/reliable? Is Access 2003
> not so easy to corrupt? Can we get true record-locking or still
> suffering from locking pages or even the whole table when adding
> hundreds of records?
>
> As upgrading to SQL Server is not an option at the moment (due to the
> budget), I'm also looking to the SQL Server Express which is free. But
> how hard is it to upgrade to SQL Server Express? There are lots of
> codes using DAO recordset in the application, do I need to change all
> to ADO? Is the front-end still in .MDB (database) or change to .ADP
> (Access project)?
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

0
david
4/10/2006 7:43:22 AM
The company should hire a competent database manger.

He or she, together with the IT department should identify the cause(s)
of the problems.

After the problems have been identified, solutions should be planned.

As you describe the db, I am prompted to think that it's a piece of
shit. Queries on 1.3 million record tables should happen in the wink of
an eye. The company may think it can't afford to fix it, but it's
likely to be spending more because of general inefficiency, corruption
and breakdown than fixing it would cost.

I've worked in very large corporations during the 90's that had many
databases worked on by hundreds of users. I have never seen a case of
db corruption, other than ones sent to me form other parts of the world
for repair.

The answer to all your questions is Maybe. It depends on who and how..

0
lylefairfield (1852)

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Accessing Access

View Access 2003 database in Access 2000
How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? rahulghai12@gmail.com wrote: > How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? > look here http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HP051863711033.aspx ...

LIBs to access SQL SERVER and ACCESS free
Hi All !!! I'm starting to use the xHarbour and would like to know which libraries to access sql server and Microsoft Access free? simple examples?? etc... Can someone please indicate a greate How-to ! Thank`s Antonio Antonio Better is go for sqlrdd witch you can acess any rdbms Regards Luiz Em quarta-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2013 08h33min11s UTC-3, Antonio Lopes Neto escreveu: > Hi All !!! > > > > I'm starting to use the xHarbour and would like to know which libraries to access sql server and Microsoft Access free? simple examples?? etc... > > Can someone please indicate a greate How-to ! > > > > Thank`s > > > > Antonio Antonio asked about _free_ access... I think that the best choice will be using ODBC directly. Regards, Bozena User <culikr@gmail.com> wrote in news:2e0714af-95e7-4190-873e-6f606706f7c8@googlegroups.com... > Antonio > > Better is go for sqlrdd witch you can acess any rdbms > > Regards > Luiz > > Em quarta-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2013 08h33min11s UTC-3, Antonio Lopes > Neto escreveu: >> Hi All !!! >> >> >> >> I'm starting to use the xHarbour and would like to know which libraries >> to access sql server and Microsoft Access free? simple examples?? etc... >> >> Can someone please indicate a greate How-to ! >> >> >> >...

Access 2003 and SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I tried to migrate data of an Access 2003 application (.mdb) to SQL Server 2005 Express. Using the Wizard and choosing 'create a new database', I receive (a French message saying roughly) '... migration wizard requires SQL Server version 6.5 sp 5 and later ... connect to an SQL server source of data.'. Given that failure, I went to another PC running MSDE (according to readme file it should be SQL server 2000 service pack 3). Started migration and it worked just fine. Did some tests and this is really what we need. My conclusion has been that Access 2003 has trouble connecting to SQL Server 2005. Trying to find an answer browsing posted messages, it sounds like both should connect. Is it just the method I am using that don't work? The message says that 'the wizard' is not compatible, is there another way? I went back to the machine with SQL 2005 and created a small DB using SQL Client. I started the wizard and this time using the 'use an existing DB' option but in the end I received the same message. Is Access 2003 compatible with SQL Server 2005 Express and if so, I think I need some help about how to do it. Thank you. On 26 Jun 2006 13:54:48 -0700, jmnaste@hotmail.com wrote: Worked fine for me when I just tried (using the Northwind sample db), so I don't think it's an inherent problem with Access 2003. Are you on the latest service packs for Office and SQL Server 2005? My instance is called <machinename>\SQLEX...

SQL Server files after upgrading an Access database
Hi all I have upgraded an Access data file to SQL Server using the wizard (Access XP, 2000 file format). There seems to be no way to direct the SQL Server database files to a specified folder during this process. I now have the SQL Server database residing on a server on drive C: but it would be better on drive E: Does anyone know of a simple way to move the SQL Server database or force the upgrade to go to a specified folder? I know little about SQL Server, so please be gentle ... Thanks Jeff Hi Jeff, I have never used the upsizing wizard, but to move a sql server database from one location to another, you need to detach the sql server database from the server. You do this in Enterprise manager(sql server 2000) - or the management console (sql server 2005). Go to the database icon in Enterprise manager - right - click - go to All Tasks, go to Detach Database - and click on Detach Database. Now go to your server and move the mdf file to your desired location. Then you have to re-attach the database. Just right click on the Databases icon under the server name in Enterprise Manager. Go to All Tasks - Attach Database. Click on Attach Database. Locate/select the mdf file and click OK. Sql Server will automatically create a new ldf file for you. Rich *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Thanks Rick. I'll give that a try ASAP. Looks to be just what I needed - thanks again. Jeff Rich P wrote: > Hi Jeff, > > I have never ...

MS-Access 2003 & SQL Server
I have a form in a Access Project (SQL DB on the back end). On this form I have created a Combo box that pulls a list of dept and dept #'s from the DEPT table, and displays the dept name in the Combo box. I tried a view instead of a table but the Combo box would not update. On this form I also have a sub form. The sub form has on it, among other things, the following fields; SVCCODE, SVCODE TOTAL. I also have hidden on the sub form a GLCODE and GLDESC fields. What I need to happen is when the Main form Combo box is changed to a new dept desc, let say Radiology, I want the subform to display the radiology SVCCODE's only. What is actually happening is when the form opens a list of SVCCODES are displayed, I am not sure what they are connected to, and when I choose a dept name from the combo box the SVCCODE's display, on the subform, the department list of service codes. For example when I open the form, the subform starts off with the list of service codes I mentioned above and the Combo box is blank, but then when I change to a different department, in the combo box on the main form, the subform does not display those SVCCODE records correlating to the main forms combo box, instead it displays the SVCCODE's for the department in the list from the department table. So if I change to Radiology, it does not care and displays the BLOOD BANK SVCCODE's, those being the next department. One side note I can hit enter with the Combo box highlight...

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soame active content has been disabled. Click for more details." then there is a button "Enable Content". Before and after I click the "Enable Button" the file tab only has print options available. Thank you for your help, jfcby jfcby <jamesfc30@gmail.com> wrote in news:f4dc9993-afa3-4fed-8180-22786eaa7f83@l14g2000yql.googlegroups.co m: > How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access > 2010 file format? > > According to Microsoft > (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ > convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? > queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is > possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the > print options only. > > How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to > display? ...

A Query Expression That Works in Access 2000 But Not In Access 2003
I have the following query expression - Like Format(([Forms]![frmRunReports]![mm])) & "/*/" & ([Forms]! [frmRunReports]![yyyy]) which would translate to e.g. 04/*/2007 if someone is running a report for last month. The above expression is part of a Where clause for a date field. It works fine in Access 2000 and pulls out the appropriate # of records but in Access 2003, this expression (apparently) evaluates differently and no records are extracted. Is this an area that might've changed between Access 2000 and Access 2003 or ? Thanks for any suggestions and/or pointing me in the right direction. Sheldon Potolsky I wanted to add one more thing. The above behavior that I observed (see previous append) occurred on another user's PC running Access 2003. I just tried it from my PC running Access 2003 and it worked fine. This now leads me to think there may be a setting that I need to look for as opposed to a change in how Access 2000 and 2003 would evaluate the expression: Like Format(([Forms]![frmRunReports]![mm])) & "/*/" & ([Forms]! [frmRunReports]![yyyy]) Sheldon Potolsky As you found, the expression is unreliable. It performs string matching on a Date/Time field, which could fail if: a) the user has different date settings than you intend, or b) JET misunderstands the data type of the parameters in the query. Assuming that you have this criteria under a Date/Time type field in your query, you need to get an expression t...

Access 97 or Access 2003
Hi everybody I want to use an Access database in a Visual Basic 6 program. Question: -Should I use Access 97 or Access 2003? Thank's On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:28:20 -0400, "Sylmena" <sylmena1@hotmail.com> wrote: > I want to use an Access database in a Visual Basic 6 program. > >Question: >-Should I use Access 97 or Access 2003? If you use MS Access '97, more people will be able to access your data. Access '97 doesn't use Unicode - a space/speed advantage if you are not storing Russian or a language other than English. I can't think ...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Web resources about - Access 2k upgrade to Access 2003 or SQL Server Express? - comp.databases.ms-access

The Indian Express: Latest News, Breaking News Live, Current Headlines, India News Online
Indian Express covers latest news from India, all exclusive current headlines and India news live, including latest breaking news on business, ...

Local news, sports, obituaries, classifieds and more - Tallmadge Express
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) Gov. Chris Christie, who once famously called himself "the healthiest fat...

Hemsworth and South Elmsall Express
Congratulations, you're now registered! Let us know what news and updates you want to hear about and we'll send them straight to your inbox. ...

Sussex Express
Search continues for boy swept out to sea at... The search has continued today (Monday October 28) for the 14-year-old local boy who was swept ...

MV Colombo Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
a title it held until the Emma Mærsk was launched in 2006. Colombo Express holds 8,749 twenty-foot equivalent units (TEU), 730 refrigerated ...

City slicker Malcolm Turnbull hitches a ride on the urban express
Malcolm Turnbull wants his cities policy to be a trademark of his prime ministership.

City slicker Malcolm Turnbull hitches a ride on the urban express
Malcolm Turnbull wants his cities policy to be a trademark of his prime ministership.

China to Boost Express Delivery Service: Postal Chief
Workers work at a sorting center of an express company in Jiujiang, Jiangxi province, on Nov 11, 2014. [Photo:asianewsphoto.com] China will improve ...

UnitedHealth Takes on CVS, Express Scripts With Drugs Deal
UnitedHealth Group Inc.’s OptumRx unit struck an agreement to ease customers’ access to drugs through Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc.’s drugstores, ...

Terror watchdogs express concern about UK extremism plans
LONDON (AP) — Britain's current and former watchdogs over terrorism legislation say that government plans to crack down on nonviolent extremism ...