Access 97 .mdws with Access XP databases

I'm working at a company that is upgrading from Access 97 to 2002. We
have a number of '97 databases that are .mdw secured, but in no case
has anyone saved the original PIDs and SIDs used to create the security
files and accounts.

I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97 .mdws
with the converted 2002 databases.  Are there side effects? I have
heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access 2K databases.

Any info would be appreciated.

"brucedodds2" <bruce.dodds@fmglobal.com> wrote in

> I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97
> .mdws with the converted 2002 databases.  Are there side effects?
> I have heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access
> 2K databases.

I haven't seen that, but I've only used that setup very
occasionally.

Keep in mind that A2K+ MDWs bloat a lot more than A97 ones, so it
may be an issue that only looks significant on the surface.

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
0
dXXXfenton (2542)
10/24/2005 9:14:35 PM
brucedodds2 <bruce.dodds@fmglobal.com> typed:
:
: I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97 .mdws
: with the converted 2002 databases.  Are there side effects? I have
: heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access 2K
: databases.
:
: Any info would be appreciated.

Sadly I'm in the same situation. My .mdw was originally created in
Access 2.0 -- it converted and worked fine with Access 97, but I'm
unable to read the group and user information using Access 2002 (I get
"Record(s) cannot be read; no read permission on 'MSysAccounts'", KB
article 306077 has the details). I'm looking at rebuilding the groups
and users and re-securing my front and back-ends. :(

Unless someone here knows of a utility to convert the .mdw...

--
Please remove the under_scores if replying by mail.

0
r_f_oines (21)
10/25/2005 1:05:56 AM
Thanks for the KB article.

I have found out by reading this newsgroup that .mdw secured databases
aren't very secure. There are utilities available that can break that
security, provided the user has both the database and the .mdw file for
it.  So Access security it's not as safe as it looks, though depending
on the level of protection your client needs it may still be sufficient
for your ap[plication.

David W. Fenton wrote:

> Keep in mind that A2K+ MDWs bloat a lot more than A97 ones, so it
> may be an issue that only looks significant on the surface.

Never realized there was a cbloat issue with mdws and haven't done any
secured apps lately and none in A2003.  Nevertheless, how does one go
about compacting them other than via code?  Is there a way?

--
Tim    http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<

> David W. Fenton wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind that A2K+ MDWs bloat a lot more than A97 ones, so it
>> may be an issue that only looks significant on the surface.
>
> Never realized there was a cbloat issue with mdws and haven't done
> any secured apps lately and none in A2003.  Nevertheless, how does
> one go about compacting them other than via code?  Is there a way?

An MDW is just a special MDB with a different extension (it does
have some properties specific to MDWs). As long as the MDW is not in
use (i.e., not your default system.mdw file and not in use via the
workgroup switch of a command line), you can open it just like an
MDW.

And browse the tables of users and groups.

And view the enctryped passwords.

And compact the thing.

I'm surprised someone as experienced as you would never have
actually tried this before. It does demonstrate why it wasn't
exactly hard to crack Jet security.

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
0
dXXXfenton (2542)
10/26/2005 2:00:25 AM
David W. Fenton wrote:

> I'm surprised someone as experienced as you would never have
> actually tried this before. It does demonstrate why it wasn't
> exactly hard to crack Jet security.

I don't do much with secured mdbs.  In fact, I can probably count the
number of secured mdbs I've developed on one hand.  The vast majority of
what I do is reporting front ends on Oracle back ends where I normally
restrict the user view connected to via ODBC to one with read only
access, so Access/Jet security is not needed.

I must say, I thought an mdw was a special non-mdb file of some sort.
This may well be something I missed from the Access security FAQ (which
I must follow closely anytime I do tackle security, as I forget most
things) - is it mentioned in there?

I'll have to poke around some mdw files now when I get back to work
tomorrow!
--
Tim   http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<
/#) "Burp-beep, burp-beep, burp-beep?" - Quaker Jake
/^^ "What's UP, Dittoooooo?" - Ditto
0
Tim
10/26/2005 3:33:59 AM
There is a KB article on use of A97 .mdw files with later versions. You
have to read past the start to get the information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282357/

It doesn't raise any red flags.

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Accessing Access

problem accessing access 97 database through odbc on windows 2003 sp1
Hello, We have a legacy application which relies on an Access 97 database (upgrading is nog an option atm). As we are setting up a new server (Windows 2003), we started experiencing problems running that application after installing all required updates (Windows, Office, ..) It did work before updating, with a basic OS + application installation. Somewhere an update dit break things, but we do not know which one. Now for the problem. When starting the application, following error is returned: --------------------------- ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed ---------------------------...

Can an Access 2013 database link to an Access 97 back end?
Can an Access 2013 database link to an Access 97 back end, perhaps using ODBC even? On Monday, September 29, 2014 5:17:03 PM UTC-4, Neil wrote: > Can an Access 2013 database link to an Access 97 back end, perhaps using > > ODBC even? I think this answers the question. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA102749625.aspx. I don't see why the links to the backend wouldn't work unless you have mapping issues or something similar. On 9/30/2014 8:02 AM, Patrick Finucane wrote: > On Monday, September 29, 2014 5:17:03 PM UTC-4, Neil wrote: >> Can an Access 2013 database link to an Access 97 back end, perhaps using >> >> ODBC even? > > I think this answers the question. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA102749625.aspx. I don't see why the links to the backend wouldn't work unless you have mapping issues or something similar. > No, that article just says to convert the back end to ACCDB. I need to keep the back end in A97 (another system also uses it, and it has to be in A97 format, as that system is old). I understand A13 not supporting the A97 format for databases, as that format is old. But I don't understand it not allowing to at least link to A97 tables. Seems it should be able to do that. But, apparently, you can't. One person I've spoken with elsewhere was able...

Opening access database for exclusive access
hi Folks, I am opening my access database file (Access 2003) from a C# application. The connection string specifies mode=Share Exclusive The intent is that the application have exclusive access to the database file. No other instance of MS Access or this particular C# application (or any other app) should be able to open the access database file concurrently. however it seems that this is not happening. A second instance of my program run from another computer under another LAN user id can successfully open a connection to the database using the same connection string, specifying Share Exclusive. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. -John jljamison#gmail.com@NOSPAM never mind - i figured it out. I had inadvertently put two "Mode=..." pairs in my connection string, the latter one was less restrictive. ...

Conversion from Access 97 to Access 2000 (or XP)
I'm having difficulty converting form 97 to 2000. Tables take forever to open in design mode (queries, too). I have heard that if I build form scratch instead of convert that the problem goes away. Anybody figure this one out? "Ken Abbott" <abbottk@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message news:ad4fa493.0310011007.73107d36@posting.google.com... > I'm having difficulty converting form 97 to 2000. Tables take forever > to open in design mode (queries, too). I have heard that if I build > form scratch instead of convert that the problem goes away. Anybody > fig...

Access 97 to XP Access Conversion Error
I recently created a new database in Access 2002. I took data from an access 97 database converted one of the tables to access 2002 and then imported it into a new table in access 2002. but for some strange reason, every once in a while the data changes to Japanese characters, it only happens once in a while, but once it happens that record is lost. i have tried everything compacting, importing to a new database, new table...What is causing this strange behavior? Mitchell Thomas wrote: > I recently created a new database in Access 2002. I took data from an > access 97 database conv...

View Access 2003 database in Access 2000
How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? rahulghai12@gmail.com wrote: > How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? > look here http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HP051863711033.aspx ...

Web resources about - Access 97 .mdws with Access XP databases - comp.databases.ms-access