Access 97 to Access 2003 conversion problem !

I have just been asked to port an Access 97 app from an old Pentium 3
to a new Pentium Core-2-Duo PC.

On the new PC, Office 2003 is installed. On opening the database,
Access provided me with an option to convert the database which I did.

However, there are a couple of small issues. For one, there were a
couple of conversion errors which it stored in a conversion errors
table (saying it could not find the field "description").

Secondly, and this is my main problem ...

When I click on a button in the old Acc97 app it used to work fine,
however in Acc2003 it says "The command or action 'SaveRecord' isn't
available now". Here is the sub where it occurs:

Private Sub Cash_RV_Preview_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_Cash_RV_Preview_Click

    [RVHAMT] = [Receipt Voucher Sub Form].[Form]![PAYABLE AMT]
    [RVHDIS] = [Receipt Voucher Sub Form].[Form]![TOTAL DISCOUNT]

    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, ,
acMenuVer70

    Dim stDocName As String

    stDocName = "Receipt Voucher Printing Cash"
    DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview

Exit_Cash_RV_Preview_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_Cash_RV_Preview_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Cash_RV_Preview_Click

End Sub

On checking the Menu Bar I saw the action "Save Record  Shift+Enter"
is grayed out & not available in the Acc2003 app. However, when
checking it under Access 97 on the other PC, the option Save Record is
available.

Could someone please throw some light on this & guide me as to how to
proceed further with such errors ?

Thx & Best Rgds,
Prakash

If there is no field named 'description', this is a form of corruption. Try
a compact/repair of the old database in Access 97. If that doesn't work, try
creating a new (blank) database, and importing everything.

In place of the SaveRecord line, try:
    If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False
That should work in both versions.
If it doesn't what are RVHAMT and RVHDIS? If they are fields in the form's
RecordSource but not text boxes on the form, create text boxes for them and
see if that solves the problem. (Visible = No if you don't want to see
them.)

<prakashwadhwani@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have just been asked to port an Access 97 app from an old Pentium 3
> to a new Pentium Core-2-Duo PC.
>
> On the new PC, Office 2003 is installed. On opening the database,
> Access provided me with an option to convert the database which I did.
>
> However, there are a couple of small issues. For one, there were a
> couple of conversion errors which it stored in a conversion errors
> table (saying it could not find the field "description").
>
> Secondly, and this is my main problem ...
>
> When I click on a button in the old Acc97 app it used to work fine,
> however in Acc2003 it says "The command or action 'SaveRecord' isn't
> available now". Here is the sub where it occurs:
>

> Private Sub Cash_RV_Preview_Click()
> On Error GoTo Err_Cash_RV_Preview_Click
>
>    [RVHAMT] = [Receipt Voucher Sub Form].[Form]![PAYABLE AMT]
>    [RVHDIS] = [Receipt Voucher Sub Form].[Form]![TOTAL DISCOUNT]
>
>    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, ,
> acMenuVer70
>
>    Dim stDocName As String
>
>    stDocName = "Receipt Voucher Printing Cash"
>    DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview
>
> Exit_Cash_RV_Preview_Click:
>    Exit Sub
>
> Err_Cash_RV_Preview_Click:
>    MsgBox Err.Description
>    Resume Exit_Cash_RV_Preview_Click
>
> End Sub
>

> On checking the Menu Bar I saw the action "Save Record  Shift+Enter"
> is grayed out & not available in the Acc2003 app. However, when
> checking it under Access 97 on the other PC, the option Save Record is
> available.
>
> Could someone please throw some light on this & guide me as to how to
> proceed further with such errors ?
>
> Thx & Best Rgds,
> Prakash

0
AllenBrowne (3681)
9/8/2008 4:20:18 PM
Hi Allen !   Thx for such a swift response.

1)  Your solution:      If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty =3D False   worked
absolutely fine !!

2)  RVHAMT and RVHDIS are hidden controls on the form. The Record
Source of the Form is a Query which is based on 4 tables.

3)  The conversion errors table consists of the foll:
-----------------      -------------------
-----------------------
Object Type     Object Name      Error Description
-----------------      -------------------
-----------------------
Table              MSysObjects      -1017: Could not find field
'Description'.

I have checked all the 50 tables & there seems to be no field with the
name "Description". However, there is one table having a field called
"Desc". Perhaps that was renamed by someone along the way ?  I guess
you'll have a much better understanding of this.

I hope I'm ok so far, or is there anything else I need to worry
about ?

This app belongs to a Video Library so I'll make this change (Dirty)
in place of the Save Action and see how things progress. If any
further errors crop up beyond my reach, I'll post them here.

In the meanwhile if you feel I need to watch out for anything based on
the information I've given, please do let me know.

Thx & Best Rgds,
Prakash.

On Sep 8, 8:20=A0pm, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
> If there is no field named 'description', this is a form of corruption. T=
ry
> a compact/repair of the old database in Access 97. If that doesn't work, =
try
> creating a new (blank) database, and importing everything.
>
> In place of the SaveRecord line, try:
> =A0 =A0 If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty =3D False
> That should work in both versions.
> If it doesn't what are RVHAMT and RVHDIS? If they are fields in the form'=
> RecordSource but not text boxes on the form, create text boxes for them a=
nd
> see if that solves the problem. (Visible =3D No if you don't want to see
> them.)
>
> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. =A0Perth, Western Australia
> Tips for Access users -http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>
> <prakashwadhw...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have just been asked to port an Access 97 app from an old Pentium 3
> > to a new Pentium Core-2-Duo PC.
>
> > On the new PC, Office 2003 is installed. On opening the database,
> > Access provided me with an option to convert the database which I did.
>
> > However, there are a couple of small issues. For one, there were a
> > couple of conversion errors which it stored in a conversion errors
> > table (saying it could not find the field "description").
>
> > Secondly, and this is my main problem ...
>
> > When I click on a button in the old Acc97 app it used to work fine,
> > however in Acc2003 it says "The command or action 'SaveRecord' isn't
> > available now". Here is the sub where it occurs:
>
> > Private Sub Cash_RV_Preview_Click()
> > On Error GoTo Err_Cash_RV_Preview_Click
>
> > =A0 =A0[RVHAMT] =3D [Receipt Voucher Sub Form].[Form]![PAYABLE AMT]
> > =A0 =A0[RVHDIS] =3D [Receipt Voucher Sub Form].[Form]![TOTAL DISCOUNT]
>
> > =A0 =A0DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, ,
> > acMenuVer70
>
> > =A0 =A0Dim stDocName As String
>
> > =A0 =A0stDocName =3D "Receipt Voucher Printing Cash"
> > =A0 =A0DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview
>
> > Exit_Cash_RV_Preview_Click:
> > =A0 =A0Exit Sub
>
> > Err_Cash_RV_Preview_Click:
> > =A0 =A0MsgBox Err.Description
> > =A0 =A0Resume Exit_Cash_RV_Preview_Click
>
> > End Sub
>
> > On checking the Menu Bar I saw the action "Save Record =A0Shift+Enter"
> > is grayed out & not available in the Acc2003 app. However, when
> > checking it under Access 97 on the other PC, the option Save Record is
> > available.
>
> > Could someone please throw some light on this & guide me as to how to
> > proceed further with such errors ?
>
> > Thx & Best Rgds,
> > Prakash

Great. You have it sorted.

Can I suggest making sure that Name AutoCorrect is turned off in the new
A2003 database. As for why, see:
    Failures caused by Name Auto-Correct
at:
    http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html

Hi Allen !   Thx for such a swift response.

1)  Your solution:      If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False   worked
[...]

Access 97 to Access 2003
My client has an Access 97 app which contains details (fields) some in English and some in Arabic. On opening the database with Access 2003 (which it offers to convert & I accept), the data in the tables in English is fine ... but the fields containing Arabic are filled with some garbage & spurious characters. I've encountered this with 2 different clients with the same problem ! Does anyone know what the problem is and how to provide a workaround ? And .. oh yes !! Both, the Access 97 & Access 2003 versions were Arabic enabled. Best Rgds, Prakash. If you create a blank A2003 database and import the tables from A97 do you see the same problems? What about linking from A2003 to A97? Just trying to get an idea of the scope - convert can sometimes make assumptions that import or link won't. Good luck, Tim On Jun 10, 4:58=A0am, prakashwadhw...@gmail.com wrote: > My client has an Access 97 app which contains details (fields) some in > English and some in Arabic. > > On opening the database with Access 2003 (which it offers to convert & > I accept), the data in the tables in English is fine ... but the > fields containing Arabic are filled with some garbage & spurious > characters. > > I've encountered this with 2 different clients with the same problem ! > > Does anyone know what the problem is and how to provide a workaround ? > > And .. oh yes !! =A0Both, the Access 97 & Access 2003 versions w...

Access 97 to Access 2003 conversion problem with Reports !
I just converted an Access 97 application to Access 2003 & most things work fine but in approximately 12 to 15 reports I have noticed that although the page orientation is landscape, the preview and print portrays it as slightly wider than portrait. I have combed through all the settings, high and low - no problems. What's really weird though is that on some PC's eg another PC of mine with WIn-XP Media Edition SP2 & Office 2003 it shows up fine. Also on my Laptop Vista + Off 2003 it's ok. However on 3 to 4 other PC's XP-Pro + Office 2003 this problem occurs. I've applied all the Office Service Packs upto SP3 ... still no result. The only thing I can think off is that on both my Win-XP Media Centre PC & Laptop ... I don't have any printers installed which defaults to MS off document writer or FAX as my default printer. OK ... I just did some testing ... when I change the default printer to : MS office document image writer, the page now shows perfectly in preview. However when I change the default printer to any other printer eg. Epson dot matrix of HP inkjet, the page width shows up weirdly. I did manually create a fresh report & copy/pasted object by object from 1 report to another. That did work. But, if i copied an entire section of a report ... then too the problem occurs. Does any of this make any sense ? Has anyone ever faced this ? Best Rgds, Prakash. ...

problem accessing access 97 database through odbc on windows 2003 sp1
Hello, We have a legacy application which relies on an Access 97 database (upgrading is nog an option atm). As we are setting up a new server (Windows 2003), we started experiencing problems running that application after installing all required updates (Windows, Office, ..) It did work before updating, with a basic OS + application installation. Somewhere an update dit break things, but we do not know which one. Now for the problem. When starting the application, following error is returned: --------------------------- ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed ---------------------------...

Access 97 to Access 2003
Am about to upgrade several machines running access 97 to new boxes with access 2003. Got a massive access front end DB with a SQL back end. Guess I will have to "upgrade" that '97 front. Anyone have any advice or things to watch out for? Any VBA hasles? Horror stories?? Hope it goes seamlessly... Got enough headaches. Hi Tom. This link contains our experience with upgrading Access. It does not address the SQL Server aspects, but does describe Setup, Conversion, and Usability issues: Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003 at: http://members.iinet.net.au...

Access 97 or Access 2003
Hi everybody I want to use an Access database in a Visual Basic 6 program. Question: -Should I use Access 97 or Access 2003? Thank's On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:28:20 -0400, "Sylmena" <sylmena1@hotmail.com> wrote: > I want to use an Access database in a Visual Basic 6 program. > >Question: >-Should I use Access 97 or Access 2003? If you use MS Access '97, more people will be able to access your data. Access '97 doesn't use Unicode - a space/speed advantage if you are not storing Russian or a language other than English. I can't think ...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Accessing Access

Use Access 97 or Access 2003
I have an Access 97 runtime database in use with over 300 users scattered around the country. I'm planing on an upgrade to the front end in the next 2-3 months. I'd like to use Access 2003 and upgrade all users to Access runtime 2003 especially because of XML support which would be *very* useful in my app. However, many of my users are *not* on Win XP and I understand that my app in A2003 runtime won't run on less than Win XP. So, am I stuck with Access 97 while I wait for all users to upgrade to XP or later before I port Access 2003? - Mark "Mark G. King" <markgk...

Conversion: Access 2000 to Access 2003
All 12 of my department's machines are being converted next week from Windows 2000/Office 2000 to Windows XP/Office 2003. I have downloaded the Migration document from Microsoft for distribution but would like your input regarding Access as many of our group use it. I am concerned especially about linking to other Access databases. And about connecting to Dbo data. We also regularly connect to and from Excel files. All of our databases are rather small, and we do not share many, so SQL Server is not an issue. Looking forward to hearing your insight. As Lyle and David can attest to,...

Conversion from Access 97 to Access 2000
I know little about Access. I have a program that produces school reports written in Access 97. When I try to run it in Access 2000 I keep getting the following error message - Compile error: Ambiguous name detected: Command4_Click When the debugger starts the following line is highlighted - Private Sub Command4 Click Can anyone assist with this problem Thanking you Don Nethercott Don, Open your form in design view then click on the Code button in the toolbar at the top of the screen. It's the only colored button and is at the left of the Properties button. This opens the code module behind your form. Look down through the subroutines there. You have two subroutines that begin with Private Sub Command4 Click. One of them needs to be deleted. -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "Don Nethercott" <nethercott@kooee.com.au> wrote in message news:40bc6c3f_1@news.iprimus.com.au... > I know little about Access. I have a program that produces school reports > written in Access 97. When I try to run it in Access 2000 I keep getting the > following error message - > Compile error: Ambiguous name detected: Command4_Click > When the debugger starts the following line is highlighted - > Private Sub Command4 Click > > Can anyone assist with this pro...

Conversion from Access 97 to Access 2000 (or XP)
I'm having difficulty converting form 97 to 2000. Tables take forever to open in design mode (queries, too). I have heard that if I build form scratch instead of convert that the problem goes away. Anybody figure this one out? "Ken Abbott" <abbottk@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message news:ad4fa493.0310011007.73107d36@posting.google.com... > I'm having difficulty converting form 97 to 2000. Tables take forever > to open in design mode (queries, too). I have heard that if I build > form scratch instead of convert that the problem goes away. Anybody > fig...

How to copy form: Access 2003 to Access 97
Hi all, I have converted a database from Access 2003 to Access 97. Everything gets neatly imported into the new database except for one form which continues to show a fatal error when I try to open it in the new 97 database: "Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. For more information about this error, click here ___." This is a form that I am using as a sub-form on a parent form. The parent form is imported okay but no matter how m...

VB6 ACCESS 97 -> ACCESS 2003
I have a VB6 program that uses standard ADO 2.5 connection to read and write to an Access 97 database on a Windows 98 machine. The same program is run by a number of other people who use Windows 98 or 2000 machines. They all connect to a their local copy of the DB with no problems. Occasionally, this database is opened in Access 97 (we all currently use 97) in order to make some manual tweaks here and there. But ,I am about to get a new XP machine with Access 2003. Q1. Will my VB6 program still work? Q2. Will I be able to open the DB in Access 2003 without upsetting my VB program? Q3. Assuming that Q1 and Q2 are not a problem, can I easily ship the compiled application the uses described above, bearing in mind that their OS and lesser version of Access? I assume that they won't be able to load the database in Access 97 after I've been forced to convert it to 2003, but will the VB application work using the standard ADO 2.5 connection? "Ian Barnes" <ian.p.barnes@talk21.com> wrote in message news:d9aabt$d7r$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com... >I have a VB6 program that uses standard ADO 2.5 connection to read and write to >an Access 97 database on a Windows 98 machine. The same program is run by a >number of other people who use Windows 98 or 2000 machines. They all connect to >a their local copy of the DB with no problems. Occasionally, this database is >opened in Access 97 (we all currently use 97) in order to...

Access 97 to XP Access Conversion Error
I recently created a new database in Access 2002. I took data from an access 97 database converted one of the tables to access 2002 and then imported it into a new table in access 2002. but for some strange reason, every once in a while the data changes to Japanese characters, it only happens once in a while, but once it happens that record is lost. i have tried everything compacting, importing to a new database, new table...What is causing this strange behavior? Mitchell Thomas wrote: > I recently created a new database in Access 2002. I took data from an > access 97 database conv...

Problem with converting Access 97 to Access 2000
We're trying to convert the last Access 97 database in our department to Access 2000. The database is secured, and the problem is that the database owner hasn't worked for the department for years. So his account has been gone for a while, and the database no longer has an actual owner. We have a couple of administrative accounts, and they've been able to do what was needed to this point, but there are two tables over which we can't seem to get administrative rights: MsysModules MsysModules2 Because we can't seem to get administrative rights to these two tables, we can&...

Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003
Hi All, Our company is migrating from Windows NT to XP and in the process from Access 97 to Access 2003. Due to the phased rollout we are faced with a situation where some users are still on NT while others have been fully upgraded, but all users need to use the same Access databases. At first we tried just opening the Access 97 databases with XP but we were worried that some of the less computer-literate employees may click "yes" on the "Do you want to convert this database to the latest version" prompt. The solution we have come up with is to create an exact duplicate of...

Does MS Access db have problems with multiple users access it at once?
I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My questions are: Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at once? If yes, what is your solution to this problem? I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple users accessing it at once. Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. Will the users just be reading, or will multiple users be writing at the same time? I've seen data corruption in older (Access '97) databases with large numbers of users reading and writing. I haven't seen any corruption where...

Web resources about - Access 97 to Access 2003 conversion problem ! - comp.databases.ms-access

Conversion (law) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its criminal counterpart is theft . Examples are seen in cases where trees are cut down and the lumber hauled from the land by someone not having ...

Personalized Notifications Can Increase Conversion Up to 300%
... to avoid sending generic push notifications to every user. By sending personalized notifications instead, companies can see their conversion ...

Ex-gay conversion therapy challenged in federal consumer fraud lawsuit
... a federal consumer fraud complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against People Can Change, an organization that practices ex-gay conversion ...

10 Copywriting Tips You Can Use Right Now To Boost Conversion Rates
Writing great content is quite possibly the quickest and most cost-effective way to increase your conversion rates. Great content creates engagement ...

Hail Caesar! The 'other' Roman Centurion conversion movie is a bizarre, self-satisfied mess
Martin Saunders went to see 'Hail Caesar!', and found the whole thing incredibly disappointing.

First Solar Achieves New Conversion Efficiency World Record For CdTe Solar PV Cells
Originally published on Sustainnovate. By Henry Lindon A new conversion efficiency world record for cadmium-telluride solar photovoltaic cells ...

A Response To Jonah Goldberg On His Mistaken Claim Of My Trumpine Conversion
I prefer an economic-growth solution to middle-class angst, not a protectionist program.

What Is the Difference Between the Conversion and Recharacterization of an IRA?
... there are certain rules and tax implications you need to know about. Photo: www.TaxCredits.net . When it comes to IRAs, the terms "conversion" ...

Pay At The Pump Mobile App Could Eliminate Need For Costly EMV Conversions At Gas Stations
Gas stations and convenience stores have until Oct. 1, 2017 to replace mag swipe card readers with EMV or face the liability for fraud. A Finnish ...

TODD STARNES: Students told to write essay on their conversion to Islam
TODD STARNES: Students told to write essay on their conversion to Islam