Access 97 to Access 2003

Am about to upgrade several machines running access 97 to new boxes with
access 2003.  Got a massive access front end DB with a SQL back end.  Guess
I will have to "upgrade" that '97 front.

Anyone have any advice or things to watch out for?  Any VBA hasles?  Horror
stories??

Hope it goes seamlessly... Got enough headaches.

0
harristomm (11)

Hi Tom.

This link contains our experience with upgrading Access.
It does not address the SQL Server aspects, but does describe
Setup, Conversion, and Usability issues:
    Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003
at:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/ser-48.html

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia.

"Tom" <harristomm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Am about to upgrade several machines running access 97 to new boxes with
> access 2003.  Got a massive access front end DB with a SQL back end.
> Guess
> I will have to "upgrade" that '97 front.
>
> Anyone have any advice or things to watch out for?  Any VBA hasles?
> Horror
> stories??
>
> Hope it goes seamlessly... Got enough headaches.

0
AllenBrowne (3681)
8/31/2004 2:32:51 AM
Slight differences between the Jet 3.5 and Jet 4 connections to MSSQL.

Firstly, identity insert works seamlessly like in Access :~) And Unicode
support :~).  But transactions even more broken with locking problems.

(david)

"Tom" <harristomm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Am about to upgrade several machines running access 97 to new boxes with
> access 2003.  Got a massive access front end DB with a SQL back end.
Guess
> I will have to "upgrade" that '97 front.
>
> Anyone have any advice or things to watch out for?  Any VBA hasles?
Horror
> stories??
>
> Hope it goes seamlessly... Got enough headaches.

0
david
8/31/2004 11:52:08 PM
"Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:

> This link contains our experience with upgrading Access.
> It does not address the SQL Server aspects, but does describe
> Setup, Conversion, and Usability issues:
>     Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003
> at:
>     http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/ser-48.html

Allen,

When I run the decompile routine on my A97 file I get an error telling me
that the file is already in use (it isn't) and that the version of VBA used
to create the code doesn't match what's on my PC.  I've recently been given
a new PC but it still has our 'standard' corporate image on it.

I'm not sure where to go from here, any polite suggestions? :o)

Regards,
Keith.
0
keith.wilby (292)
9/2/2004 10:26:13 AM
Hi Keith

First up, close Access, and make sure there is no ldb file in the same
folder as your mdb. The ldb contains locking information. Access normally
deletes it, but if the computer/application crashes, you can be left with
spurious locking info that has to be deleted manually.

If that does not solve the problem, try creating a new, blank, A97 database
(File | New) in A97, and then import all the objects from the damaged one
(File | Get External | Import).

BTW, my ISP is having problems with their news server, so I'm not able to
get back for quick replies at present.

--

"Keith Wilby" <keith.wilby@AwayWithYerCrap.com> wrote in message
> "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
>
>> This link contains our experience with upgrading Access.
>> It does not address the SQL Server aspects, but does describe
>> Setup, Conversion, and Usability issues:
>>     Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003
>> at:
>>     http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/ser-48.html
>
> Allen,
>
> When I run the decompile routine on my A97 file I get an error telling me
> that the file is already in use (it isn't) and that the version of VBA
> used
> to create the code doesn't match what's on my PC.  I've recently been
> given
> a new PC but it still has our 'standard' corporate image on it.
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here, any polite suggestions? :o)
>
> Regards,
> Keith.

0
AllenBrowne (3681)
9/3/2004 8:04:32 AM
"Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:

> First up, close Access, and make sure there is no ldb file in the same
> folder as your mdb. The ldb contains locking information. Access
> normally deletes it, but if the computer/application crashes, you can
> be left with spurious locking info that has to be deleted manually.
>
> If that does not solve the problem, try creating a new, blank, A97
> database (File | New) in A97, and then import all the objects from the
> damaged one (File | Get External | Import).

Thanks Allen :o)
0
keith.wilby (292)

Access 97 or Access 2003
Hi everybody I want to use an Access database in a Visual Basic 6 program. Question: -Should I use Access 97 or Access 2003? Thank's On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:28:20 -0400, "Sylmena" <sylmena1@hotmail.com> wrote: > I want to use an Access database in a Visual Basic 6 program. > >Question: >-Should I use Access 97 or Access 2003? If you use MS Access '97, more people will be able to access your data. Access '97 doesn't use Unicode - a space/speed advantage if you are not storing Russian or a language other than English. I can't think ...

Accessing Access

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

problem accessing access 97 database through odbc on windows 2003 sp1
Hello, We have a legacy application which relies on an Access 97 database (upgrading is nog an option atm). As we are setting up a new server (Windows 2003), we started experiencing problems running that application after installing all required updates (Windows, Office, ..) It did work before updating, with a basic OS + application installation. Somewhere an update dit break things, but we do not know which one. Now for the problem. When starting the application, following error is returned: --------------------------- ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed --------------------------- Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application. --------------------------- OK Cancel --------------------------- OK let's you choose another mdb (not an option) and CANCEL fails the app, which is the problem :-) Current versions: * JET version: 4.0.6305.00 - not sure which this is, it's more recent than JET 4 SP8 which is the lates I can download separately. * Office 2000 SR1 with latest updates * MDAC 2.8 SP2 ON WINDOWS SERVER 2003 SP1 (2.82)(ComponentChecker 2.0) What we tried so far, to no good: * http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q310804 * http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310937 * downgrading MDAC, which is seems useless (has no effects on file versions + no relation to odbc?) * downgrading JET 4 (by manually replacing odbcjt32.dll in system32 and system32/dllcache) * Googled to death on the matt...

Converting Access 2003 to Access 97
Hi, I wrote a VBA program to read and process data from an ODBC source and put it into an Access database. I want to make the program into an MDE file and run it on systems with Access 2003. So I have to work in Access 2003 to do this. The problem is that the database that is created by my program will have to be imported into an application that only handles Access 97 .mdb file formats. I am wondering if there is any way to do this. I only have to export the tables, but I need to preserve the table properties. I was thinking about doing some type of generic export from ACC2003 and then running some kind of VB script to convert it into ACC97.... Maybe there is a better way.... Thanks for any help. Dave Dave wrote: > Hi, > > I wrote a VBA program to read and process data from an ODBC source and > put it into an Access database. I want to make the program into an MDE > file and run it on systems with Access 2003. So I have to work in > Access 2003 to do this. The problem is that the database that is > created by my program will have to be imported into an application that > only handles Access 97 .mdb file formats. I am wondering if there is > any way to do this. I only have to export the tables, but I need to > preserve the table properties. I was thinking about doing some type of > generic export from ACC2003 and then running some kind of VB script to > convert it into ACC97.... Maybe there is a better way.... Use the Tools ...

conversion access 97 to access 2003
which are the differences between Access 97 and Access 2003 ? See: Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003 at: http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/ser-48.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "helena" <petrouchka-63@caramail.com> wrote in message news:b6222801.0410270323.67b7bbb3@posting.google.com... > which are the differences between Access 97 and Access 2003 ? ...

Use Access 97 or Access 2003
I have an Access 97 runtime database in use with over 300 users scattered around the country. I'm planing on an upgrade to the front end in the next 2-3 months. I'd like to use Access 2003 and upgrade all users to Access runtime 2003 especially because of XML support which would be *very* useful in my app. However, many of my users are *not* on Win XP and I understand that my app in A2003 runtime won't run on less than Win XP. So, am I stuck with Access 97 while I wait for all users to upgrade to XP or later before I port Access 2003? - Mark "Mark G. King" <markgk...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

View Access 2003 database in Access 2000
How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? rahulghai12@gmail.com wrote: > How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? > look here http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HP051863711033.aspx ...

Access 97 to Access 2003
My client has an Access 97 app which contains details (fields) some in English and some in Arabic. On opening the database with Access 2003 (which it offers to convert & I accept), the data in the tables in English is fine ... but the fields containing Arabic are filled with some garbage & spurious characters. I've encountered this with 2 different clients with the same problem ! Does anyone know what the problem is and how to provide a workaround ? And .. oh yes !! Both, the Access 97 & Access 2003 versions were Arabic enabled. Best Rgds, Prakash. If you create a blank A2003 database and import the tables from A97 do you see the same problems? What about linking from A2003 to A97? Just trying to get an idea of the scope - convert can sometimes make assumptions that import or link won't. Good luck, Tim On Jun 10, 4:58=A0am, prakashwadhw...@gmail.com wrote: > My client has an Access 97 app which contains details (fields) some in > English and some in Arabic. > > On opening the database with Access 2003 (which it offers to convert & > I accept), the data in the tables in English is fine ... but the > fields containing Arabic are filled with some garbage & spurious > characters. > > I've encountered this with 2 different clients with the same problem ! > > Does anyone know what the problem is and how to provide a workaround ? > > And .. oh yes !! =A0Both, the Access 97 & Access 2003 versions w...

VB6 ACCESS 97 -> ACCESS 2003
I have a VB6 program that uses standard ADO 2.5 connection to read and write to an Access 97 database on a Windows 98 machine. The same program is run by a number of other people who use Windows 98 or 2000 machines. They all connect to a their local copy of the DB with no problems. Occasionally, this database is opened in Access 97 (we all currently use 97) in order to make some manual tweaks here and there. But ,I am about to get a new XP machine with Access 2003. Q1. Will my VB6 program still work? Q2. Will I be able to open the DB in Access 2003 without upsetting my VB program? Q3. Assuming that Q1 and Q2 are not a problem, can I easily ship the compiled application the uses described above, bearing in mind that their OS and lesser version of Access? I assume that they won't be able to load the database in Access 97 after I've been forced to convert it to 2003, but will the VB application work using the standard ADO 2.5 connection? "Ian Barnes" <ian.p.barnes@talk21.com> wrote in message news:d9aabt$d7r$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com... >I have a VB6 program that uses standard ADO 2.5 connection to read and write to >an Access 97 database on a Windows 98 machine. The same program is run by a >number of other people who use Windows 98 or 2000 machines. They all connect to >a their local copy of the DB with no problems. Occasionally, this database is >opened in Access 97 (we all currently use 97) in order to...

Access 97 .mdws with Access XP databases
I'm working at a company that is upgrading from Access 97 to 2002. We have a number of '97 databases that are .mdw secured, but in no case has anyone saved the original PIDs and SIDs used to create the security files and accounts. I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97 .mdws with the converted 2002 databases. Are there side effects? I have heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access 2K databases. Any info would be appreciated. "brucedodds2" <bruce.dodds@fmglobal.com> wrote in news:1130179432.172463.288340@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com: > I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97 > .mdws with the converted 2002 databases. Are there side effects? > I have heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access > 2K databases. I haven't seen that, but I've only used that setup very occasionally. Keep in mind that A2K+ MDWs bloat a lot more than A97 ones, so it may be an issue that only looks significant on the surface. -- David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc brucedodds2 <bruce.dodds@fmglobal.com> typed: : I'm working at a company that is upgrading from Access 97 to 2002. We : have a number of '97 databases that are .mdw secured, but in no case : has anyone saved the original PIDs and SIDs used to create the : security file...

Time to go from Access 97 to Access 2003
I have been to Allen Browne's site about upgrading and have addressed most of the issues listed there. However, is there a fix for all the reports losing their page setups? They all have 1 inch margins and are potrait. Last time (ages ago) I upgraded a website, I had to put in all this code to get the page setup to change. Is there a fix for this bug? It's very annoying. Thanks, Laura musicloverlch wrote: > I have been to Allen Browne's site about upgrading and have addressed > most of the issues listed there. > > However, is there a fix for all the reports losing their page setups? > They all have 1 inch margins and are potrait. Last time (ages ago) I > upgraded a website, I had to put in all this code to get the page setup > to change. > > Is there a fix for this bug? It's very annoying. The Name Autocorrect feature has been known to scupper report formats as well as many other things, have you turned that off? ...

Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003
Hi All, Our company is migrating from Windows NT to XP and in the process from Access 97 to Access 2003. Due to the phased rollout we are faced with a situation where some users are still on NT while others have been fully upgraded, but all users need to use the same Access databases. At first we tried just opening the Access 97 databases with XP but we were worried that some of the less computer-literate employees may click "yes" on the "Do you want to convert this database to the latest version" prompt. The solution we have come up with is to create an exact duplicate of the database in XP but with all the Tables removed and relinked to the 97 version. This solution is working well on the whole but there have been a couple of instances where that database has required a repair. The main problem we are still having is that my colleagues and I can no longer make any changes to the database while there are any users in. Is this a setting which we can change? For instance, on 97 you could alter a form in the live database and then save the altered form......XP doesn't seem to allow you to do that. Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks in Advance, John John, as you found, Access 2000 and later do a monolithic save, and there is no setting to override this. For other suggestions on adapting to the newer versions, see: Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003 at: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-48.html (The monolithic save is...

Access 97 to Access 2003 conversion problem !
I have just been asked to port an Access 97 app from an old Pentium 3 to a new Pentium Core-2-Duo PC. On the new PC, Office 2003 is installed. On opening the database, Access provided me with an option to convert the database which I did. However, there are a couple of small issues. For one, there were a couple of conversion errors which it stored in a conversion errors table (saying it could not find the field "description"). Secondly, and this is my main problem ... When I click on a button in the old Acc97 app it used to work fine, however in Acc2003 it says "The command or action 'SaveRecord' isn't available now". Here is the sub where it occurs: Private Sub Cash_RV_Preview_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Cash_RV_Preview_Click [RVHAMT] = [Receipt Voucher Sub Form].[Form]![PAYABLE AMT] [RVHDIS] = [Receipt Voucher Sub Form].[Form]![TOTAL DISCOUNT] DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70 Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "Receipt Voucher Printing Cash" DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview Exit_Cash_RV_Preview_Click: Exit Sub Err_Cash_RV_Preview_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Cash_RV_Preview_Click End Sub On checking the Menu Bar I saw the action "Save Record Shift+Enter" is grayed out & not available in the Acc2003 app. However, when checking it under Access 97 on the other PC, the option Save Record is available. Could someon...

Developing in Access 2003 for Access 97 users
I know you can convert a database from Access 2003 to 97 easily but is there anything that I should avoid doing in Access 2003 that might make my database incompatible with Access 97? Many thanks, Dean... DeanL wrote: > I know you can convert a database from Access 2003 to 97 easily but is > there anything that I should avoid doing in Access 2003 that might make > my database incompatible with Access 97? Starting. Dean, if you have Access 97 as well as 2003, I would agree with Lyle that it would be better to use 97 to develop this database. I actually did a small one earlier this year using 2003 and converting back at the end: if I had that time again, I would do the whole thing in A97. It kinda depends what functionality you use, but avoid stuff like: - Conditional Formatting - the Undo event of the form. - OpenArgs for OpenReport. - VBA functions such as Replace() and Split(). - ADO-specific code (especially DDL) If you do convert back, decompile first. Avoid any references other than VBA, Access and DAO. After conversion to A97, you will still need to change your DAO reference to 3.51. (A2003 doesn't make that change for you.) -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Lyle Fairfield" <lylefairfield@aim.com> wrote in message news:1135123457.218336.16840@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > DeanL wr...

How to copy form: Access 2003 to Access 97
Hi all, I have converted a database from Access 2003 to Access 97. Everything gets neatly imported into the new database except for one form which continues to show a fatal error when I try to open it in the new 97 database: "Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. For more information about this error, click here ___." This is a form that I am using as a sub-form on a parent form. The parent form is imported okay but no matter how many times and in how many different ways I try to get this sub-form into Access 97, it just won't work. Does anyone out there have any ideas on how I can get it into an Access 97 database without error so that I do not have to re-create it? Or why is this happening. Thank you. Carmela you can try SaveAsText, but I don't know if that'll work. Might need to bite the bullet and rebuild it. I found a work around and have the form in Access 97, but I am struggling with something else now :) Thanks for your input. C ...

Web resources about - Access 97 to Access 2003 - comp.databases.ms-access

Random-access memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Random access memory ( RAM ) is a form of computer data storage . A random access device allows stored data to be accessed in any order in very ...

Facebook Expanding Access to Conversion Lift Measurement
Facebook launched conversion lift measurement in January 2015 with the goal of helping advertisers track conversions instead of clicks, and the ...

Planet OS Opens Access To Weather Data
... for software developers using weather data to power their apps, researchers and climate specialists enabling them to discover, access and build ...

Sci-Hub — Free access to every scientific paper ever published
Say what? How is it I only heard of this this week? Long story headlined "Should All Research Papers Be Free?" from the New York Times short: ...

Clerk rescinds ban on journalists' access to court motions
MANASSAS, Va. (AP) — A clerk's office in Virginia has ended a five-year policy of denying journalists access to any legal motions filed in the ...

MIT, Harvard researchers push new way for users to control access to personal data
Cryptography researchers at MIT and Harvard have developed software called Sieve that is designed to help users keep track of encrypted personal ...

Cal Investigation Finds Assistant Coach Sexually Harassed Reporter Who Accused Him Of Trying To Trade ...
... a copy of Cal’s investigation into the matter, and even Hufnagel’s own statements make it appear that he attempted to trade sex for access, ...

Paragon's early access starts now, no more progress wipes
Paragon is gearing up for launch in the future, but for now, Epic is keen on putting it into an Early Access phase. The good news is that there ...

The Public Access Weekly: What's this?
Y'all. This week was SXSW and GDC and we are tired. So let's dive right on in so I can go back to trying to take a nap on my keyboard.

The Politics Of How Medicare Will Control Your Access To Drugs
If you want to understand a President Hillary Clinton’s healthcare plan, look at the elaborate scheme that Medicare unveiled this week to give ...