Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express

Hi,
 I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access
database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web
applications (same content different copies) running as different
sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all
sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on
the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its
own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet
engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access
database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and database
engines are used by big sites such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc, and
what are the good database structures for the hosting applications
that deal with huge,complex information and large number of users.

Thanks a lot, your time and help are highly appreciated.
0
penghao98 (5)

On 13 Sep 2004 18:37:35 -0700, penghao98@hotmail.com (Leon) wrote:

I think there is only one instance of Jet running. You can check this
using Task Manager.
More than likely you don't have to worry about Yahoo et al. They take
many orders of magnitude more traffic then yours. One thing for sure:
they are not using an Access back-end :-)

-Tom.