Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express

Hi,
 I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access
database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web
applications (same content different copies) running as different
sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all
sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on
the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its
own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet
engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access
database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and database
engines are used by big sites such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc, and
what are the good database structures for the hosting applications
that deal with huge,complex information and large number of users.

Thanks a lot, your time and help are highly appreciated.
0
penghao98 (5)

On 13 Sep 2004 18:37:35 -0700, penghao98@hotmail.com (Leon) wrote:

I think there is only one instance of Jet running. You can check this
using Task Manager.
More than likely you don't have to worry about Yahoo et al. They take
many orders of magnitude more traffic then yours. One thing for sure:
they are not using an Access back-end :-)

-Tom.

>Hi,
> I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access
>database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web
>applications (same content different copies) running as different
>sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all
>sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on
>the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its
>own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet
>engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access
>database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and database
>engines are used by big sites such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc, and
>what are the good database structures for the hosting applications
>that deal with huge,complex information and large number of users.
>
>Thanks a lot, your time and help are highly appreciated.

move/copy database objects from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Standard??
Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this topic?? I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. Thank you, Tom Hi Tom If the objects are on source code control you may just want to check out the scripts and run them through SQLCMD. If you want the whole database then you can either use backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db, failing that you could use the import/export wizard, If SQLExpr...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

Copy data from access database (JET) to sql server problem
This may or may not be a labview problem, but I have a set of data which has an issue if I try to copy the data from within access (2003)&nbsp;to an mssql (2000 sp3?)&nbsp;database.&nbsp; I was wondering if anyone else had this problem when trying to move to a different db? &nbsp; I am just doing a "Insert into sqldb values select * from accessdb" command, which works find from access to access, and from access to sql within sql, but not access to sql from within access.&nbsp; Britoa, Are you performing these commands in LabVIEW or from some other DB Admin tool?&nbsp; I wasn't sure if you were using LV to perform these operations or not, from your last sentence when you said from within access. The commands are using access, but I was seeing if anyone else came across such issues with labview saved data (it's a flattened cluster)&nbsp; The data saves and loads within labview just fine from both SQL and the accessDB, but when trying to move the data from access to sql, I get those issues.&nbsp; It's... strange. Britoa, Take a look at <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;thread.id=256336" target="_blank">this post</a>, it has some links that may prove useful. ...

SqlSpec

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Hosting advice needed for changing Access backend databases to SQL Server Express
After a virus that was so new that it wasn't in the antivirus checklist hit= a company where I work recently, the company that maintains the server sug= gested that Access backends not be used to store data to minimize attack ex= posure. The VP was delighted to see that I already had plans in place to m= ove the backend data to SQL Server Express for greater stability and for gr= eater security. In looking at the SQL Server 2014 requirements in: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506(v=3Dsql.120).aspx I saw included: "Installing SQL Server on a Domain Contr...

MS Access, SQL Server, Web server
Scenario -------- I am planning to write an application using MS Access as front-end. User enters records (mostly 15 records or less per user per day) into an Access database. Having done that, users click a button to transfer these records to a web server hosting an SQL Server database (set up by a service provider). Each record represents a job; provider will update its status when a job is done. At the end of day, user will open up the database to enquire the records status, which will be retrieved from the web server (through HTTP protocol) A service provider will probably have 2000 records/jobs per day, which will be fetched from the web server to its PC for job scheduling purposes. Question -------- Can someone advise me as to how to go about doing this ? I have read a little on WinInet APIs of MS Visual Studio 6, but I am still not sure; eg how to get SQL server to send data to client PC using HTTP. Thanks for your advice. I can't really understand the scenario here. You are going to have to explain this better. 1. Who are the users? What do they do? Are they mobile in that they are not connected to the network when they are working, like traveling salesmen? 2. Who are the service providers? I'm assuming that these are not Internet Service Providers or Application Service Providers, but rather people who work for the company and do things for customers. What kind of jobs do they do? Do they provide their services in places where they h...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

Updating SQL Server Database from Access
I'm taking over an SQL Server database which is often updated with data from an Access database. Knowing little about either, this simple task has become a challenge. I'm told that the previous person used to type some simple SQL commands and this would update the SQL server database but the commands have been lost and the previous person is unavailable. The Access database has exactly the same column names as the SQL-server database and it is something simple like: Control ID Phone Name Address1 Address2 Does anyone know the SQL commands to do this kind of SQL server database upd...

Accessing an SQL Server Database with VB
I will be designing an app with VB that will access an SQL server database. How difficult is this to do in VB? Is there some built-in compatibility between the two? Any suggestions about a book to buy would be much appreciated. The one I'm looking at now is Beginning SQL Server 2000 for Visual Basic Developers by Thearon Willis. I've had experience with VB but none with SQL server. Thanks, Corey <caramelboy586@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1114104259.357833.240460@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I will be designing an app with VB that will access an SQL server &...

Importing Access databases into SQL Server
Hi there, I have a situation where an application needs to import data from number of access mdb files on a daily bases. The file names change every day. The data import is very straight forward: insert into sql_table select * from acess_table There are up to 8 tables in each access file and some access files will have less. So the process needs to figure out which tables exist in Access mdb file and import them whole into sql staging tables. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks It probably depends where you're running the load process from - that's not really clear (t...

Running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server BE on same TS Server
What are the implications of running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server BE on the same Terminal Server? Assuming that the TS can handle the load are there any other issues? Thanks Patrick Patrick Fisher wrote: > What are the implications of running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server > BE on the same Terminal Server? > > Assuming that the TS can handle the load are there any other issues? > Thanks > Patrick You either serve the Access "front end" as a terminal server published application or you just stick an Access "back end" on it in which case the server is nothing more than a file server. Which are you talking about? Certainly in the case of the latter the added load would be minimal. If you plan on installing Access on the server and running Access apps from the server then the added load would be significant as your number of users climb. -- I don't check the Email account attached to this message. Send instead to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com Hello Rick We are talking about a customer who currently runs 4 TSs with load balancing running SQL Server to about 80 users, the data is held on a 5th TS, this system is running a program called scala and works at an acceptable speed accross an ADSL VPN Against my advice they have installed our Access97 Runtime using DFS and BE on one of the TSs, this across the VPN is very slow when Scala users a logged on. They have restricted the Access Runtime to on...

Copy databases from SQL 2005 server to SQL Express
Two Windows 2003 server, one with SQL 2005 server, another with SQL Express. Is it possible to copy databases from SQL 2005 to SQL Express? Thanks. Thanks (Thanks@work.com) writes: > Two Windows 2003 server, > one with SQL 2005 server, > another with SQL Express. > > Is it possible to copy databases from SQL 2005 to SQL Express? Yes, but I don't think you can use the Copy Database Wizard, but you will have to do it by hand. Which is not very difficult anyway. On source machine backup database, and make note of the logical filenames. (You see these with sp_helpdb). ...

tcl database connection for Oracle MySQL PostgreSQL Sybase "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine" DB2 Interbase/Firebird SQLite Microsoft Access
Hello everyone, There are many people that are looking for/missing the support for their database within TCL. Somehow this was overlooked: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/index.html It has native TCL API and supports most popular databases. One problem: It doesn't have production ready support on Windows, but for the lucky people who use Linux/Unix, it seems to be an excellent solution, while TDBC is being developed. One small correction, the TCL part of the db connection will work just fine on Windows connecting to sqlrelay running on Linux/Unix (which, in turn, can connect to the database running on Windows :) ). What doesn't have production ready support (according to developers) is sqlrelay running on Windows. ...

Access 2k upgrade to Access 2003 or SQL Server Express?
I'm having a system using Access 2000 as both front-end (queries, forms, reports & temp tables for reports) & back-end (data) with back-end running on the server. The application runs on the network with around 15 users. The back-end database is suffering from performance issues. There were several corruptions since few months & one major corruption & corrupted the MSysObjects table. Also, the system will run batch process that generate hundreds to thousands of records in the transaction table, which caused the transaction table being locked even though users just trying to add new transactions even though the database has been selected to use record-level locking. Furthermore, some queries are very slow as they query the transaction table which has over 1.3 million records. The company has just been covered by the corporate license (as a company of the group) to update all PCs to Office 2003. Is upgrading to Access 2003 help to get the system more stable/reliable? Is Access 2003 not so easy to corrupt? Can we get true record-locking or still suffering from locking pages or even the whole table when adding hundreds of records? As upgrading to SQL Server is not an option at the moment (due to the budget), I'm also looking to the SQL Server Express which is free. But how hard is it to upgrade to SQL Server Express? There are lots of codes using DAO recordset in the application, do I need to change all to ADO? Is the front-end still in .MDB (database) ...

Running MS Access db as a Linked Server on SQL Server
Hi, Looking for a quick and dirty on running an Access database as a linked server in SQL Server. Basically, the majority of my stuff is in SQL Server, but there is one lingering nightmare-of-an-Access-database no one wants to touch. I just want to create a linked server to use the Access db. So far I have not found a way to connect (under Security -> Link Servers in SQL Server), though I tried all kinds of drivers, connection strings, etc. What do I put for Product Name, Data Source, Provider String, (Location, Catalog)? Thanks a bunch. This might help; note the table about halfway...

Web resources about - Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express - comp.databases.ms-access

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
... companies – Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) – both made it easier for Oracle's (NYSE: ORCL) customers to move their databases ...