Access Database Security

   I have a client using an mde created in 1999 by someone else, for
which I don't have the original source.  There is a workgroup file that
accompanies the mde file.  I have the user and password information
required by the workgroup file.
   In 2004 the client requested changes.  Without the source, I
couldn't make the change to the mde file itself, so I wrote a small mdb
that attaches tables and provides a form to fulfill the client's new
requirements.  I created a shortcut for the new mdb that includes the
workgroup info, and for 2 years everything has worked fine.
   Suddenly, the client is getting permission errors whenever he
attempts to access his data.  He can open my tool mdb, but not the
tables attached to it.  As it works fine when re-installed on my
desktop, I figured his copy of the workgroup file had been corrupted or
overwritten.  I sent him a replacement, but it didn't help.
   Any ideas on where the permission errors might be coming from would
be greatly appreciated.

0
glkmeyer (5)

ginnyk wrote:
>    I have a client using an mde created in 1999 by someone else, for
> which I don't have the original source.  There is a workgroup file that
> accompanies the mde file.  I have the user and password information
> required by the workgroup file.
>    In 2004 the client requested changes.  Without the source, I
> couldn't make the change to the mde file itself, so I wrote a small mdb
> that attaches tables and provides a form to fulfill the client's new
> requirements.  I created a shortcut for the new mdb that includes the
> workgroup info, and for 2 years everything has worked fine.
>    Suddenly, the client is getting permission errors whenever he
> attempts to access his data.  He can open my tool mdb, but not the
> tables attached to it.  As it works fine when re-installed on my
> desktop, I figured his copy of the workgroup file had been corrupted or
> overwritten.  I sent him a replacement, but it didn't help.
>    Any ideas on where the permission errors might be coming from would
> be greatly appreciated.

0
me2968 (1474)
6/14/2006 9:24:58 PM
MGFoster wrote:

> Permissions are kept in the .mdb/e file.  The user name and passwords
> are kept in the .mdw file.  Check the .mde file's Security settings (if
> you can).  Also, if new queries have been created make sure they have
> the RWOP (Run With Owner Option) property set to yes (checked).  Then
> make sure the proper user/groups have the proper permissions on those
> queries.
> --
> MGFoster:::mgf00 <at> earthlink <decimal-point> net
> Oakland, CA (USA)

Thank you.  I didn't realize the permissions were separated from the
username/password info.  I had assumed that the security item on the
mdb's Tools menu was accessing the mdw.  I'll fire off a message to
John (the client) and have him take a look.

0
glkmeyer (5)

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

Securing an Access Database.
If you secure an MSACCESS Database using a Workgroup Information File WIF and then setting up permissions removing the Admin user from the its default group, repalce it with another named user, transfer all the ownership of objects to the new user. Then run the database security wizard. If after this the mdb file is placed on a different users PC which is still using the defauult system.mdw file should they still be able to open the database with full rights and permissions ? D wrote: > If you secure an MSACCESS Database using a Workgroup Information File > WIF and then setting up ...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

Opening access database for exclusive access
hi Folks, I am opening my access database file (Access 2003) from a C# application. The connection string specifies mode=Share Exclusive The intent is that the application have exclusive access to the database file. No other instance of MS Access or this particular C# application (or any other app) should be able to open the access database file concurrently. however it seems that this is not happening. A second instance of my program run from another computer under another LAN user id can successfully open a connection to the database using the same connection string, specifying Share E...

Java access to Microsoft Access database through Samba
Hi, I need to access from an JSP application in a Linux server to a Microsoft Access database (only read) that is in another Windows server (only accepts users in its domain, that are different from Linux server users) I have configured Samba so that I can access to the database file. When I access through the folder navigator of Linux it requests me user, domain and password and access without problems. I do not know, how to access from a Java/JSP application, it's possible to do it? what driver I must use? it is necessary to configure Samaba to have permission some user in parti...

UPDATE VALUE IN ACCESS DATABASE-CONNECTIVITY DATABASE?
Hi to all labviewers, I'm trying to update some values in my access database with sql and labview connectivity toolset but i got an error, what is the problem whit my code? note: when i try to update one colum it's work fine. &nbsp; regard's eyal. UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/152737/1/UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C5EE8B.DE98AE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I'm not sure if you can use comma's to se...

Securing Access 2000 Database

to connect the MS Access database
how can i call the report that i need in MS Acces database, from matlab??? ...

Splitting MS Access Database
have an access 2000 database which has several levels of security defined, i.e., certain users can only see certain forms, run certain reports. I am splitting this database in front end and back end. I want to move back end to Oracle. I don't know where security is stored in Access. Will access users see only he forms/reports they have been authorized after the move to Oracle. I can limit database access to Oracle by creating different Oracle users, but my question is what happens to front end security after the split. Thanks, Prem premmehrotra@hotmail.com wrote: > have an access 2000 database which has several levels of security > defined, i.e., certain users can only see certain forms, run certain > reports. > > > I am splitting this database in front end and back end. I want to > move back end to Oracle. I don't know where security is stored > in Access. > > > Will access users see only he forms/reports they have been authorized > after the move to Oracle. I can limit database access > to Oracle by creating different Oracle users, but my question > is what happens to front end security after the split. You have to remember there are different authentication schemes possible with Oracle, like ldap, jazn, sso, etc. If you are using Access with odbc as an Oracle client, your option for security will be whatever is provided thru the odbc driver. Most likely you will have to hatch some schmeme on the...

Web resources about - Access Database Security - comp.databases.ms-access