Access Database Security

   I have a client using an mde created in 1999 by someone else, for
which I don't have the original source.  There is a workgroup file that
accompanies the mde file.  I have the user and password information
required by the workgroup file.
   In 2004 the client requested changes.  Without the source, I
couldn't make the change to the mde file itself, so I wrote a small mdb
that attaches tables and provides a form to fulfill the client's new
requirements.  I created a shortcut for the new mdb that includes the
workgroup info, and for 2 years everything has worked fine.
   Suddenly, the client is getting permission errors whenever he
attempts to access his data.  He can open my tool mdb, but not the
tables attached to it.  As it works fine when re-installed on my
desktop, I figured his copy of the workgroup file had been corrupted or
overwritten.  I sent him a replacement, but it didn't help.
   Any ideas on where the permission errors might be coming from would
be greatly appreciated.

0
glkmeyer (5)

ginnyk wrote:
>    I have a client using an mde created in 1999 by someone else, for
> which I don't have the original source.  There is a workgroup file that
> accompanies the mde file.  I have the user and password information
> required by the workgroup file.
>    In 2004 the client requested changes.  Without the source, I
> couldn't make the change to the mde file itself, so I wrote a small mdb
> that attaches tables and provides a form to fulfill the client's new
> requirements.  I created a shortcut for the new mdb that includes the
> workgroup info, and for 2 years everything has worked fine.
>    Suddenly, the client is getting permission errors whenever he
> attempts to access his data.  He can open my tool mdb, but not the
> tables attached to it.  As it works fine when re-installed on my
> desktop, I figured his copy of the workgroup file had been corrupted or
> overwritten.  I sent him a replacement, but it didn't help.
>    Any ideas on where the permission errors might be coming from would
> be greatly appreciated.

0
me2968 (1474)
6/14/2006 9:24:58 PM
MGFoster wrote:

> Permissions are kept in the .mdb/e file.  The user name and passwords
> are kept in the .mdw file.  Check the .mde file's Security settings (if
> you can).  Also, if new queries have been created make sure they have
> the RWOP (Run With Owner Option) property set to yes (checked).  Then
> make sure the proper user/groups have the proper permissions on those
> queries.
> --
> MGFoster:::mgf00 <at> earthlink <decimal-point> net
> Oakland, CA (USA)

Thank you.  I didn't realize the permissions were separated from the
username/password info.  I had assumed that the security item on the
mdb's Tools menu was accessing the mdw.  I'll fire off a message to
John (the client) and have him take a look.

0
glkmeyer (5)