I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how
can i make client access database located on the server?

"HeMan_Speaks" <Lunar20092010@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how
> can i make client access database located on the server?

I think you're going to have to expand a little bit more in your question
here, as is not 100% quite clear what you're trying to do.

You might want to make a little bit of a distinction between MS access, the
development system that allows you to write code, build forms, and build
reports, and that of the database engine that you choose to use with MS
access. When you build an application MS access, you then choose your
database engine, that might be oracle, SQL server, or perhaps more often
leave the default jet database.

So when you say make a client access application, are you talking about a
piece of software that you plan to install and each computer? The fact that
your introducing the issue of java further complicates your question.

Perhaps your question is simply you have some java code running on a server,
and with to open a mdb file (an access database file). In this situation
you're not really using MS access at all here (you using what is called the
jet database engine to read that mdb file). For all the trouble in this type
of scenario you're probably better off to use SQL server.

You can most certainly place a mdb file on a server, and have MS access to
connect to that file. In this instance, the only way you can to connect the
files is using the windows file networking system. This means then you
cannot use an IP address, or so called socket connection to that file over
the iinternet. (you must use the windows networking system). If you plan to
connect over the Internet to the mdb file, then you would have to setup a
vpn, and again be forced to use windows networking. however using a VP and
in windows networking across the Internet is far too slow to get any
reasonable amount performance in this instance.

I'm going to let you expand in clarify what you're trying to do here, as is
not really quite 100% clear.

Perhaps your question is how to open up the database using java? By default
the jet database engine ships with every copy of windows (xp, and vista),
and has done so for many years now.
So you can most certainly use java to read and open a mdb file, and you
don't need ms-access to do this at all. (you simply use ADO, or a DAO
recordset in this case).

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Hi HeMan,

If you want to open / read / write an .mdb file from java you need to
either use a type3 or type 4 driver to read the database file, or use
an ODBC connection. For handling that you are probably better posting
this question in a java forum.

If you want to make a java application 'MS Office aware', and control
or automate MS Access applications then there are software tools
available for this, but as far as I know they are not for free. Again,
a java forum is probably a better place for that type of problem.

Cheers

The Frog

I have a very frustrating problem. I have a situation that works fine on some computers, but not on others. I have SQL Server Express 2005 and Access 2003 loaded on 4 computers. I have set up a "Linked Server" in SQL Server linked to my Access database. I am running queries on t-SQL against the Access tables through the linked server. On all of the computers, I can do select queries and they all work great but what I need to do is run Update, Insert, Delete queries as well. On a couple of the computers, it works fine, locally and across the LAN, and a VPN as far as that goes. B...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Win2000 Server can access client but client cannot access server files.
Hi We're running 2000 Server feeding 4 PC's and two Macs. Last week I found one PC can no longer access files on the server whereas the server can access any files on that PC. I suppose it's a good sign that it is at least working in one direction. I just need to get it back to working both ways. Though I am very competent with stand alone PCs I'm not very experienced with networks. I'd very grateful of any suggestions regarding settings I should check that would re-connect the link of this PC to the server. If there are any web sites you can recommend for network ne...

Win2000 Server can access client but client cannot access server files.
Hi We're running 2000 Server feeding 4 PC's and two Macs. Last week I found one PC can no longer access files on the server whereas the server can access any files on that PC. I suppose it's a good sign that it is at least working in one direction. I just need to get it back to working both ways. Though I am very competent with stand alone PCs I'm not very experienced with networks. I'd very grateful of any suggestions regarding settings I should check that would re-connect the link of this PC to the server. If there are any web sites you can recommend for network ne...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Accessing Access