access to Access

We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including
me.
We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it
at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first
before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a
complicated way, actually I'll take anyway.
Thanks Mike
We have just started this database so any changes would be better done
sooner.

0
psgt777 (1)

Mike Kelliher wrote:
> We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it
> including me.
> We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to
> access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to
> log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way
> around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway.
> Thanks Mike
> We have just started this database so any changes would be better done
> sooner.

It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the
shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each
PC.

You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example.

Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the
network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates
an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access
reverts to single-user only.
--
regards,

Br@dley

0
null3556 (10)
1/27/2006 12:40:42 AM
Br@dley wrote:
> Mike Kelliher wrote:
>
>>We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it
>>including me.
>>We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to
>>access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to
>>log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way
>>around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway.
>>Thanks Mike
>>We have just started this database so any changes would be better done
>>sooner.
>

> It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the
> shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each
> PC.
>
> You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example.
>
> Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the
> network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates
> an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access
> reverts to single-user only.
Just to be clear multiple people SHOULD be able to access a single
Access database simultaneously.  If on your network more than one person
can access the database but only one at a time, then the problem is
likely that people are opening the database in EXCLUSIVE rather than
shared mode.

Bob

Accessing Access

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Spawning Access from Access
Hello, Is it possible to spawn an Access program from another Access program with out going to a batch file or something? I would like to have an Access main menu and bring up a different front end Access program depending on the menu selection. I'm using Access 2000. Thanks, Hank Reed On 27 Dec 2004 05:26:34 -0800, "Hank" <hankrunner@aol.com> wrote: Sure. You can use Automation like this: dim o as new Access.Application o.visible=true o.OpenCurrentDatabase "c:\two.mdb", False -Tom. >Hello, >Is it possible to spawn an Access program from another Acc...

Accessing Notes from Access
Hello All, We have been charged with extracting some information from a notes database, into access or excel. We don't own any lotus products at all. We've tried installing NotesSQL odbc driver, which appears to install just fine, but it doesn't add any odbc driver to the listing, and when I run the admin tool it tells me that we don't have any appropriate version of notes on the machine. The system prereq stated we needed one of the lotus apps. So, I assume that we won't have access to the notessql driver unless we get a copy of notes or domino. The...

ACCESS accessibility from a C++ process launched from an ACCESS form
Here is my problem. From an ACCESS form, I run a C++ process reaching the same database in read/write mode via the ODBC driver. An error occurs: " The database has been placed by an unknown user in a state preventing it from being opened either locked. SQLSetConnectAttr failure of the pilot " (Nota : translated approximatively from the french error message). However, if I have used an another form before (eg. to modify a table), or if I have modified myself a record of any table, there is no problem. It seems that the database is in a state " read-only " by default until th...

Accessing webservice from access
Hi Is it possible to call a web service that returns a dataset, from access? Could I please have an example of how to call such a service from access? Thanks Regards "John" <john@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:40d73cf3$0$287$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com... > Hi > > Is it possible to call a web service that returns a dataset, from access? > Could I please have an example of how to call such a service from access? > > Thanks > > Regards I don't know if there's an easier way but you can use the MSXML object. I suggest you do...

Access to Excel to Access
I have a form with two text boxes, text1 and text2. What I need is a button that exports each text box to a specific cell in an excel file, the excel file needs to be refreshed/updated so a calculation will run and the cell containing the calculation result is passed back to a third text box on the form in access. Ideas? fonzie wrote: > I have a form with two text boxes, text1 and text2. What I need is a > button that exports each text box to a specific cell in an excel file, > the excel file needs to be refreshed/updated so a calculation will run > and the cell containing the calculation result is passed back to a > third text box on the form in access. Ideas? Do the calculations in Access. Access can't do the calculations that excel can. fonzie wrote: > Access can't do the calculations that excel can. Which functions are you trying to use? I already figured it out. Dim objXL As Object Set objXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objXL.workbooks.Open "c:\examples\test.xls" objXL.range("a2").Value = Me.text1 objXL.range("a3").Value = Me.text2 Me.text3 = objXL.range("c4").Value objXL.activeworkbook.saved = True objXL.Quit Set objXL = Nothing Very well! I appreciate you post your solution. Do you care to share that formula in C4? I'm rather curious as to what that may be. (And of course I feel challenged... can't do... I wrote a flight simulator in Ac...

Access parameters and accessibility
I'm reading the book "Programming in Ada 2005" of John Barnes and I have difficulties to understand the chapter about access parameters. In chapter 10.7 on pages 197/198 he writes: --- An access parameter can be passed on to another access parameter; typically the accessibility indication is passed on unchanged but in the unusual circumstance where the called subprogram is internal to the calling subprogram, the accessibility level is replaced by that of the (statically known) formal calling parameter if less than the original actual parameter. --- Could some...

Web resources about - access to Access - comp.databases.ms-access

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

Facebook Expanding Access to Conversion Lift Measurement
Facebook launched conversion lift measurement in January 2015 with the goal of helping advertisers track conversions instead of clicks, and the ...

Planet OS Opens Access To Weather Data
... for software developers using weather data to power their apps, researchers and climate specialists enabling them to discover, access and build ...

Access your clipboard from any PC or Mac with 1Clipboard
1Clipboard is a free tool which enables sharing your clipboard contents with other PCs or Macs. The developer says that Android and iOS apps ...

Sci-Hub — Free access to every scientific paper ever published
Say what? How is it I only heard of this this week? Long story headlined "Should All Research Papers Be Free?" from the New York Times short: ...

US says losing access to China-claimed waters would be huge
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — A U.S. Navy commander warned Wednesday that if the United States lost access to international waters claimed by China ...

MIT, Harvard researchers push new way for users to control access to personal data
Cryptography researchers at MIT and Harvard have developed software called Sieve that is designed to help users keep track of encrypted personal ...

How to access Google Drive files faster with Launch Center Pro
... Launch Center Pro has solved many workflow problems for me over the years. Most recently it’s been an immense time-saver when it comes to accessing ...

Cal Investigation Finds Assistant Coach Sexually Harassed Reporter Who Accused Him Of Trying To Trade ...
... a copy of Cal’s investigation into the matter, and even Hufnagel’s own statements make it appear that he attempted to trade sex for access, ...

Paragon's early access starts now, no more progress wipes
Paragon is gearing up for launch in the future, but for now, Epic is keen on putting it into an Early Access phase. The good news is that there ...