Access treating Memo like a Text field

Hi,

I have an web app and I am using access 2002 and VB.net. I am using a
data adapter to fill a dataset.

I am retrieving product descriptions, some are long and i have used a
field of memo datatype to save them in.

The problem is sometimes I can only retrieve the first 255 characters
in a memo field and other times I can retrieve the full product
descriptions which can be over 640 charaters.

The problem is consistent, the same fields are always truncated to 255
characters and the others are always displayed in full.

Has anyone heard of this before? Any ideas on where I can look?

Thanks for any help.

Sling Blade,
Jet's maximum column width for a text column is 255 characters.  Jet is the
database engine behind Access.  So, Access' maximum column with for a text
column is 255 characters.  There is no easy way around this.

"sling blade" <compassSoftware@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an web app and I am using access 2002 and VB.net. I am using a
> data adapter to fill a dataset.
>
> I am retrieving product descriptions, some are long and i have used a
> field of memo datatype to save them in.
>
> The problem is sometimes I can only retrieve the first 255 characters
> in a memo field and other times I can retrieve the full product
> descriptions which can be over 640 charaters.
>
> The problem is consistent, the same fields are always truncated to 255
> characters and the others are always displayed in full.
>
> Has anyone heard of this before? Any ideas on where I can look?
>
> Thanks for any help.

0
knogeek (392)
3/21/2005 3:54:45 PM
Alan Webb wrote:
> Sling Blade,
> Jet's maximum column width for a text column is 255 characters.  Jet
> is the database engine behind Access.  So, Access' maximum column
> with for a text column is 255 characters.  There is no easy way
> around this.

If he is storing them in a memo field that should not be an issue as it does
not have a 255 character limitation.

to OP:
Make sure your query is not using DISTINCT or doing any GROUP BY on the memo
field.  That will cause it to truncxate at 255 characters.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
3/21/2005 4:42:01 PM
Rick,
Memo fields are not text fields.  They are an embedded object which contains
text.  This allows Access to store more than 255 characters in a column but
as your post points out, also has limitations when you want to use a Memo
field in some SQL statements.

"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Alan Webb wrote:
>> Sling Blade,
>> Jet's maximum column width for a text column is 255 characters.  Jet
>> is the database engine behind Access.  So, Access' maximum column
>> with for a text column is 255 characters.  There is no easy way
>> around this.
>
> If he is storing them in a memo field that should not be an issue as it
> does
> not have a 255 character limitation.
>
> to OP:
> Make sure your query is not using DISTINCT or doing any GROUP BY on the
> memo
> field.  That will cause it to truncxate at 255 characters.
>

> --
> I don't check the Email account attached
> to this message.     Send instead to...
> RBrandt    at       Hunter      dot      com

0
knogeek (392)
3/22/2005 1:40:26 PM
Alan Webb wrote:
> Rick,
> Memo fields are not text fields.  They are an embedded object which
> contains text.  This allows Access to store more than 255 characters
> in a column but as your post points out, also has limitations when
> you want to use a Memo field in some SQL statements.

But the OP indicated he was using a Memo field and then you commented that a
Text field is limited to 255 characters.  I was merely pointing out that the
limitation on a Text field is not relevent since that is not what he is
using.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...
RBrandt    at       Hunter      dot      com

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
3/22/2005 1:53:38 PM
> Make sure your query is not using DISTINCT or doing any GROUP BY on
the memo
> field.  That will cause it to truncxate at 255 characters.

It was the DISTINCT keyword which was doing it. Do you know why
DISTINCT would make it behave like that?

Thank you for your help. I would never have found that on my own.

Problem concatenating memo fields in MS access database
I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving non-predictably. The code is: Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2] Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEntered] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![IVF] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Diet] DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70 Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Could there be a casting problem? (I just want to append the text of 1 field to another field - am I actually assigning objects this way?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. GH ghadley_00@yahoo.com I have managed this in a report without the $ sign e.g. =[FirstName] & " " & [lastname] & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & IIf([job title] Is Not Null,[job title] & Chr(13) & Chr(10),"") It does not use memo fields but I would think they would work OK? James <ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1131535433.245165.221450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed > to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving > non-predictably. The code is: > > Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] & > Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2] > Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEnter...

Get the real type of columns from MS Access databases(OLEObject, text, memo, numeric)
Hello, I made one application that opens MS Access databases.And I have one problem.How can I find the real data type of columns(text, memo, OLEObject, numeric) like it is into Access.I tried with resultSetMetaData.getColumnType(columnIndex) but I receive java.sql.Types.I have two columns that contains OLEObjects(images).But I receive two different types for columns : VARCHAR once, and for second column SMALLINT.I only want to see the types like in Access(OLEObjects, Text, Numeric, Memo...).Thanks in advance! Best regards, Calin Pop ...

MS Access Memo Fields
Hi I am a novice at Access (2002) and I need some help. I want to use a query to interrogate a memo field which contains the body of an email but despite help with the syntax etc. I can not get it to return any records. Can anyone tell me if there are limitations using queries on Memo fields? For example, do they just look at the first 255 characters, all the field contents or just not work at all The query I am running is: SELECT Emails.* FROM Emails WHERE ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%BUY%' Or ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%SELL%' ORDER BY Emails.[Message#]; I was also unsure whether the Like function is case sensitive Thanks <philip.spinks@gartmore.com> wrote in message news:1181653682.879684.93670@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > I am a novice at Access (2002) and I need some help. I want to use a > query to interrogate a memo field which contains the body of an email > but despite help with the syntax etc. I can not get it to return any > records. > > Can anyone tell me if there are limitations using queries on Memo > fields? For example, do they just look at the first 255 characters, > all the field contents or just not work at all > > The query I am running is: > > SELECT Emails.* > FROM Emails > WHERE ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%BUY%' Or > ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%SELL%' > ORDER BY Emails.[Message#]; > > I was also unsure whether the Lik...

Accessing Access

MS Access Memo field question?
Hi I was wondering is it possible to read write to a memo field in ms access, the same way you would read write to a text field? I have my database set up and reading writeing to the databse ok using text field but I have to now store strings which will contain 316 characters e.g 1315259804765771089746208008724780151971640940654061 5945089711350055105440014387233852223755558178959373 5901729523358226196346901333363266720160161567476750 8698500810033377223926558621622404221161922571217657 5908662820038302522362188659394554116014527409368579 573295108852401025657242056374503972313949815709 6436944847683848865450458408521580987232589912971236 713653320010771954202838636539445174893761859498584761 774348548858284051610193336458404802244737321229315795 259346400597219730922809042994571064196264789556436973 256754063980517342616225212190669661339367714653468330 0777901869239185845560584199360795573155 I need to do it beacuse Im encrypting ever thing in the database, Thank if you can help Niall ...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Old ms-access file, showing wrong text in access xp
Dear sirs: I've one old .mdb file ( since 97). now when I open it, it converts most of text to strange unicode characters. can I stop this conversion and ask access to just show original non-unicode characters? Thanks Bijan ...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Web resources about - Access treating Memo like a Text field - comp.databases.ms-access

Treating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about treating, in various senses involving provision of a treat for a person or group of people. For treatment, see Treatment ...

How Facebook Is Treating Name Days Like Birthdays
Facebook continues to treat users’ name days the same way it treats their birthdays , as some users are seeing notifications for name days in ...

Treatings - Meet the right people for your career on the App Store on iTunes
Get Treatings - Meet the right people for your career on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Mitt Romney on Treating Obama Gingerly - YouTube
Mitt Romney on Treating Obama Gingerly - YouTube

UAE tops the Middle East table in treating women with respect
... by the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council, ranked the UAE 37th out of 132 countries. The UAE ranks first in the Middle East for treating ...

ALP is treating public servants unfairly: Government
ALP is treating public servants unfairly: Government

Stop treating travellers like ATMs
Australian travellers are regarded by governments as fabulously wealthy people who can afford to pay whatever is demanded.

Queensland health chiefs admit a problem with overweight and obese doctors treating patients for obesity ...
QUEENSLANDS top health bodies have admitted there is a problem with overweight and obese doctors treating patients for obesity.

Depression and party drug: Ketamine proves to be highly effective in treating patients with severe depression ...
Although party drug ketamine has proven to be highly effective in treating severe depression, more research is needed to better understand its ...

Private health funds not meeting costs for treating the sick
WHEN Donna Smith’s husband developed heart disease and she got cancer they lost their family home and were declared bankrupt because the health ...