Access2k3 Application works under XP, fails under Windows 2000

SCENARIO:

Application originally developed in Access 97 several years ago.
Worked with no problem until recent change from Novell to Active
Directory.

PROBLEM:

Application was converted from Access 97 to Access 2003.

It WORKS on machines running Windows XP

It FAILS on machines running Windows 2000 as below:

In the Form_Load event of one of the forms (which contains a number of
subforms) the following lines appear:

            Forms![frmPartDetails]![fsubNHA_Details].Form.RecordSource
= "qryPart_Details_frm_NHA"
            Forms![frmPartDetails]!
[fsubEndUnit_Details].Form.RecordSource =
"qryPart_Details_frm_End_Unit"

When the second line is hit it prompts for a parameter thus:

Forms!frmPartDetails!fsubNHA_Details!NHA.Text

This problem does not occur on Windows XP machines.

In order to test this reasonably thoroughly, I copied the code onto a
pen drive and installed it on three machines running XP.  They all
worked fine.  I then copied it to three machines running Windows 2K
and they all failed with the same problem.

The answer, obviously, is to upgrade all Windows 2000 machines to XP.
But what is the reason that this doesn't work?  Is it an
incompatibility between Access 2003 and Windows 2000?

Thanks

Edward

0
teddysnips (320)

When you open a form, Access must it and its subforms into memory. One of
the 2 subforms loads before the other. If you have a dependency that assumes
the other subform is loaded, you can get caught short if Access loads them
in the other order.

Since this happens only when the form is loading, you might be able to work
around the problem by adding error handling, and ignoring the specific error
that occurs when the form first loads.

<teddysnips@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> SCENARIO:
>
> Application originally developed in Access 97 several years ago.
> Worked with no problem until recent change from Novell to Active
> Directory.
>
> PROBLEM:
>
> Application was converted from Access 97 to Access 2003.
>
> It WORKS on machines running Windows XP
>
> It FAILS on machines running Windows 2000 as below:
>
> In the Form_Load event of one of the forms (which contains a number of
> subforms) the following lines appear:
>
>            Forms![frmPartDetails]![fsubNHA_Details].Form.RecordSource
> = "qryPart_Details_frm_NHA"
>            Forms![frmPartDetails]!
> [fsubEndUnit_Details].Form.RecordSource =
> "qryPart_Details_frm_End_Unit"
>
> When the second line is hit it prompts for a parameter thus:
>
> Forms!frmPartDetails!fsubNHA_Details!NHA.Text
>
> This problem does not occur on Windows XP machines.
>
> In order to test this reasonably thoroughly, I copied the code onto a
> pen drive and installed it on three machines running XP.  They all
> worked fine.  I then copied it to three machines running Windows 2K
> and they all failed with the same problem.
>
> The answer, obviously, is to upgrade all Windows 2000 machines to XP.
> But what is the reason that this doesn't work?  Is it an
> incompatibility between Access 2003 and Windows 2000?
>
> Thanks
>
> Edward

0
AllenBrowne (3681)
4/3/2007 7:44:08 AM
On 3 Apr, 08:44, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
> When you open a form, Access must it and its subforms into memory. One of
> the 2 subforms loads before the other. If you have a dependency that assumes
> the other subform is loaded, you can get caught short if Access loads them
> in the other order.
>
> Since this happens only when the form is loading, you might be able to work
> around the problem by adding error handling, and ignoring the specific error
> that occurs when the form first loads.

I tried that, and it didn't work because the second form depends on a
value that exists in a control on the first form, which is not
available when it's run on Windows 2000.  So although I can bypass the
run-time error the containing form, when loading is complete, is
useless.

What I really want to know is why this should work as expected under
XP but not W2k.  I suspect that it is a library issue.

Thanks

Edward

0
teddysnips (320)
4/3/2007 9:22:09 AM
Try placing a doevents command between the two lines....

It might very well be a threading issue, and those NT machines behave a bit
different...

I had a few threading issues pop up when converting from a97 to a2003.

It is a guess on my part..but, give it a try...

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Work with XP but not 2000? Access 2000
I'm using the replace function in an unbound text field to clean up some data. I have Access 2000 on both an XP and 2000 machines. When I use this DB on an XP machine works great last a long time.... When I put it one a 2000 machine the field display #Name? instead of the data and when I go to Properties/Control source I get an error "The object doesn't contain the Automation object 'Replace." Here is the value of Control Source "=IIf([AreaCode]<>"",Replace([AreaCode],"~"," "),[AreaCode])" Is there something else I can d...

Windows 2000 Server "Opening" an Access XP Database?
Through the Access LDB viewer (MS tool used to "see" who is using an Access database) we are seeing one of our Windows 2000 servers in the as a "listed user." For those that do not know: A "LDB" is a file created by MS Access when 1 or more users open an Access database in "non-exclusive" mode. The "LDB" file exists for the duration of database sessions. During that time the "LDB" file cannot be removed. In detail: We start with a single database file (.mdb) and no LDB file located on a "Freshly rebooted" Windows 2K Server...

IWPM For Windows 2000 To work with Windows XP?
Guys, Have you been able to get this beast to work with Windows XP? When I attempt to run the install program, it says it "Can not write PATH Key" and then quits. I am in Administration mode on the PC and can write to the PATH manually. Is there a newer viewer then Version 2 Release 3 Build 20001004? Thanks! ----------------------- James http://www.fordaspire.com -Web http://www.fordtaurus.net -Web jpiper2@gmail.com - Email ...

Running TestDirector 7.6 SP2 on Windows XP SP2 with MS Access 2000
I am trying to install TestDirector 7.6 SP2 on Windows XP Sp2 machine with MS Access 2000 as database. All the software installs fine. I have IIS Server running fine. After all the installations are done, when I click the test director Icon, it successfully opens a browser and takes me to a local webpage showing all the links on the left. But when I click Test Director link, it runs all the plugin scripts and shows a pop up error message saying "RPC Server Unavailable". Also I do not see any test demo db under the left drop down. I see under Adminstrator tools > Services, all the RPC related services are running fine. Any help or pointers are highly appreciated. thanks "Seshagiri Koduganti" <giri2k@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:85a4aae5.0411030753.18c2c733@posting.google.com... > I am trying to install TestDirector 7.6 SP2 on Windows > XP Sp2 machine with MS Access 2000 as database. All .... [cut] ... I would advise you to contact Mercury support, they are very helpfull and always had an answer to questions / problems regarding the Mercury products. Another way is to look in the support.mercury.com site, in the knowledgebase, there you can also create a "service request" and get contacted by the support organization. Lars giri2k@yahoo.com (Seshagiri Koduganti) wrote in message news:<85a4aae5.0411030753.18c2c733@posting.google.com>... > I am trying to install TestDirector 7.6 SP2 on Windows > XP Sp2 machin...

Idea for getting Star Commander and other MS-DOS programs to work better under Windows 2000/XP
I just read in a computer magazine that the old 16-bit command interpreter from Windows 98 is still available under Windows 2000 and Windows XP. You start it by running command.exe whereas the 32-bit version that is recommended to use under Windows 2000/XP is started with cmd.exe. I wonder if Star Commander, 64HDD and other MS-DOS programs perhaps may work better under command.exe than cmd.exe. Of course, a tweak package would still be required to access the parallel port but perhaps it might help to get it working better. Unfortunately, my PC with Windows XP is being repaired (the hard disk b...

Flexigrid worked in Access 2000 but not under Windows 7 and not Access 2010
I am learning that using Activex controls in Access is NOT a good idea! I need to display data from several queries in a grid with both row and column sizes determined by the query results. This worked in Access 2000 by populating a Flexigrid control on a form. Windows 7 and Access 2010 refuse to have anything to do with the flexigrid controls! What alternatives do I have, barring creating a new table and re-designing the form 'on the hoof' to accomodate its fields? Sorry if this is a really silly question but I am entirely self-taught in Access. Perhaps this will point you towards a ...

Permissions Issue when linking to MS SQL 2000 DB from MS Access XP
Hello, We have a database in MS SQL 2000 and I'm trying to link to it from MS Access XP. I've created a user with full access to one specific table in the MS SQL database, but Access won't write to it. I can open this table in MS Query Analyzer and log-in as the user, and I can do update, delete, and select queries just fine... but when I link to the table from MS Access using the same MS SQL username/password, I can only read the data... no write or delete. Since I can update data fine in MS Query Analyzer, I assume permissions are setup properly. Anyone know why I can not ed...

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

Replace Function in Access 2000 Report Text Box Control Source Expression Quits Working in Windows 2000
I've had an Access 2000 app running successfully for many months on both Windows XP and Windows 2000. Recently when my Windows 2000 users call a particular report, they get first a dialog requesting a "Replace" parameter. If the user clicks OK, the report opens, but only displays #Error. When the user tries to close the report, he is next presented with the choice of halting the code in break mode or not. Regardless of his choice, the app locks up and the user has to close the app with Task Manager. There is a text box on this report with the following expression in the control ...

Using Eudora 6.0.1.1 in Windows 2000/XP with Application Data Redirected to Windows 2003 Server
Does anybody have any experience with using Eudora 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines? Per the installation guide we are using Eudora with user data stored in the Application Data folder for the user. Problems have arisen as we've migrated to Windows 2003 Server and Active Directory. Users now have roaming profiles (stored on the server) and redirected folders (My Documents and Application Data) also stored on the server. Some users also are using laptops with 'Offline Files' turned on. The problems we are seeing are... - OWNER.LOK files are not getting deleted when Eudora quits (or they are getting syncronized from the Client Side Cache to the server on log out) causing multiple instance of Eudora messages. Proceeding with "Accept the consequences" is resulting in TOC and/or MBX corruption. - We seem to be getting corruption of IN.TOC on the file server. Does Eudora support writing this file over a network connection or only to the local machines file system? Thanks for any insight. Trevor Cooper UCSD ...

access 97 application only works in 2000?
I have an application written in ms access 97. Just recently certain queries have been giving various errors -- one of which is "there was an error executing the command". When I ran the application in access 2000, no errors occurred. Any ideas? If I open the database file in 2000 it asks me if I want to convert the database -- so, I know that it is still a 97 database. Thanks! skiz A2000 uses a completely different query engine (JET 4) compared to A97 (JET 3.5). There are several new pieces of functionality that work in JET 4 that are not in in 3.5. It could also be a parti...

Access 97 Converted to 2000 refuses to work on other PC with Access 2000
Hi I have an Access 2000 database which was written in Access 97 and then converted to Access 2000. However I cannot run the Access database on another PC with just Access 2000. It keeps on complaining as if it is an unconverted database or that I must join the workgroup. No workgroups were set in the original Access 97 PC so how do you know which workgroup to join ? I have tried the Knowledge base articles Q241141 and Q 241230 to no avail. Any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks Jozua ...

MS Works 6.0 to Access 2000
MS Works 6.0 to Access 2000. Tried saving to *.csv and dbf as well as converting to Excel then loading but to no avail. My Works database has about 4000 records, each with about 30 fields. Is there a way to convert to Access without re-entering the information 1 record at a time? TIA What happened when you tried saving to .csv or .dbf, and when you went through Excel? -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Tlaker" <dpmcc@localnet.com> wrote in message news:10hnuj598crfu4c@corp.supernews.com... > MS Works 6.0 to Access 2...

slow remote access with windows XP/2000
I am having a little problem remote accessing my office computer (windows XP) from home (windows 2000). At my home computer, I installed the windows XP remote desktop client, and I have a DSL networking, also use netgear wireless router for another notebook. When I connect to office computer, I first do VPN, and start remove desktop control client. My problem is this: If I worked in my office computer, say a few hours ago (like after work in the evening), then when I connect to the office computer from home, the speed is very good, I can work with the office computer almost like I was in the ...

slow remote access with windows XP/2000
I am having a little problem remote accessing my office computer (windows XP) from home (windows 2000). At my home computer, I installed the windows XP remote desktop client, and I have a DSL networking, also use netgear wireless router for another notebook. When I connect to office computer, I first do VPN, and start remove desktop control client. My problem is this: If I worked in my office computer, say a few hours ago (like after work in the evening), then when I connect to the office computer from home, the speed is very good, I can work with the office computer almost like I was in the ...

Access 2000 database and Office XP compatability?
A client has just successfully upgraded from Access 97 to 2000. I don't have Access 2000, but I do have Office XP. Can I successfully use my Access on their database? They kind of did this behind my back, and I'm responsible for the application maintenance...! Dick Access 2002 can natively use the Access 2000 format, so yes, you can maintain the database in 2002. Naturally you need to avoid the things that were new in 2002, such as OpenArgs for OpenReport. Every version of Access uses a different binary for the compiled code. This means you cannot release an MDE in A2002 if th...

Access database sharing on windows 2000 PC
Having problems sharing an Access database on a Windows 2000 PC. The other PC is windows 98 (as I recall) but NOT windows 2000! The 2nd PC has a shortcut to the MDB on the primary PC. The MDB can be opened - 1 user at a time. The MDB Options - Advanced - Default open mode = shared Open databases using record locking is checked Default record locking = edited record The directory containing the MDb is set for sharing for Everyone and security allowing full access for Everyone. It appears that when the 2nd PC connects, it opens the MDB exclusively. Suggestions? Bob Bob Alston wrote...

Windows XP/2000 for Intranet database service?
Hi, I have a (probably weird) question and am not sure about where to ask it. Thanks in advance for any help! I would like to sell a very small intranet web service using a small database (or text file). Thus, I guess I should code it with something like asp or .net or php (I'm fine with any language). The problem is that customers who will install this service are secretaries who have Windows XP or Windows 2000 interconnected on a LAN, and certainly not IIS. Is there any way of doing this database service on Windows XP/2000 without buying anything additional? Thank...

Replicated Application MS Access database
A client has a split database. However, the frontend is replicated. Since both frontend databases(replicated + DM)are both on same network drive, we would like to remove the replication of the front end. Can we just delete one of them and point the shortcut to open the other? *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Eric L <bopamax@yahoo.com> wrote in news:48da67f8$0$89386$815e3792@news.qwest.net: > A client has a split database. However, the frontend is > replicated. Since both frontend databases(replicated + DM)are both > on same network drive, we would like to remove the replication of > the front end. Can we just delete one of them and point the > shortcut to open the other? See question 10 here: http://dfenton.com/DFA/Replication/index.php?title=FAQ -- David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/ usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/ Eric L <bopamax@yahoo.com> wrote in news:48da67f8$0$89386$815e3792@news.qwest.net: > A client has a split database. However, the frontend is > replicated. Since both frontend databases(replicated + DM)are both > on same network drive, we would like to remove the replication of > the front end. Can we just delete one of them and point the > shortcut to open the other? BTW, front ends should never ever be replicated in the first place because Jet Replication works reliably in the long run only with pure Jet objects (tables and queries)....

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

Disable custom menu in ms access 2000 / xp
hi there is a custom built menu in an ms access 2000 applications (also xp application). all the command buttons or bars are going to be visible but i need to disable and able according the roles (the roles are stored in another table) associated with the user. for example there is option for opening "Employee Form" and say that particular user doesn't have any roles associated with the "Employee Form" so i need to disable the "Employee Form" option in the menu for this user. secondly can i create a menu on the fly based on the roles (to only certain forms a...

Please, recommend me an application to read (only) Ms-Access databases.
Dear friends: Please, recommend me a Mac application to read (only) Ms-Access databases. Thanks Juan I. Cahis Santiago de Chile (South America) Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it! In article <037m241jvlm60fde84o0ebacfijpda8k22@4ax.com>, Juan I. Cahis <jiclbchSINBASURA@attglobal.net> wrote: > Dear friends: > > Please, recommend me a Mac application to read (only) Ms-Access > databases. <http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=read+access+data base+macintosh&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8> -- Woodworking ...

Install Access 2000 on Windows XP that has Office 2002?
Hi. Is it safe to instll Access 2000 on a system that already has Windows XP and Office 2002 (Word, Excel Access, Powerpoint). Anyone done this? I would install it in a searate directory but don't know about any common dlls etc. I ask this because at my work we use Access 2000 and would like to work at home, but don't want to get into compatability/conversion issues between the 2 versions as I have Office 2002 at home. Thanks. Fred Fred, her are two Microsoft Knowledgebase links you can visit to get more information: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;218...

Web resources about - Access2k3 Application works under XP, fails under Windows 2000 - comp.databases.ms-access

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Google now accepting applications for open source Summer of Code 2016
... of selection. Our Student Manual provides lots of helpful advice to get you started on choosing an organization and crafting a great application". ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 33% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Continue to Drop in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 3.3 percent from one week ...

PDF: Application essays by CPD superintendent finalists
C2E2, meet Kristin Cavallari and 20+ other things to do this weekend Breaking News News Local news Breaking News PDF: Application essays by CPD ...

Mortgage applications eke out gain
A growing divide in the mortgage market has emerged between refinance applications and those needed to purchase a home.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...

Want To Fly A Passenger Jet? JetBlue Is Now Taking Applications From Novice Pilots
Tired of the daily grind, and yearning to spend your work hours among the clouds, using a public address system to tell people to sit back, relax, ...