Hi

The technical support guys at my company have set up my system so that
the server containing the MS Access database is on one server, while
the pages that should access the database are on another server.

When the pages and database are on the same server, I usually just
connect through ODBC.

The problem is that I don't know how to set up an ODBC connection to
link from one server to a database in another.

Anyone know what I am getting at and know of a possible solution, or a
link to a site which may help.

thanks in advance

Brendan

"Singularity" <Brendan.Collins@Singularity.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> The technical support guys at my company have set up my system so that
> the server containing the MS Access database is on one server, while
> the pages that should access the database are on another server.
>
> When the pages and database are on the same server, I usually just
> connect through ODBC.
>
> The problem is that I don't know how to set up an ODBC connection to
> link from one server to a database in another.
>
> Anyone know what I am getting at and know of a possible solution, or a
> link to a site which may help.

I think this may be more of a network issue than an Access one.  Can you see
both servers from your PC?  Is there any particular reason why they've been
put on different servers?  Seems a little odd to me.

Regards,
Keith.
www.keithwilby.com

0
keith.wilby1 (166)
6/14/2005 12:01:57 PM
Yeah, I can see both of the servers from my pc. I think the reason for
the configuration is to do with the firewall. They want to keep the
database behind the firewall and for the pages to access the database
to be kept outside the firewall.

This is the way things are set up for most applications I've done.  The
database server is separated from the application server or servers for
a variety of reasons.

See the connection string references

http://www.connectionstrings.com
http://www.codemaker.co.uk/it/tips/ado_conn.htm

If your MS Access database is on a different server from the
application then you can reference the database file using the full UNC
path to the file which includes server name
(\\server\share\database.mdb)

Bill E.
Hollywood, FL

0
billmiami2 (162)
6/14/2005 7:36:31 PM
> Yeah, I can see both of the servers from my pc. I think the reason for
> the configuration is to do with the firewall. They want to keep the
> database behind the firewall and for the pages to access the database
> to be kept outside the firewall.

By 'pages' do you mean built-in MS Access pages or HTML or ... ?

0
keith.wilby1 (166)