Accessing data from an MS access db from an Oracle UNIX server

Hello,

I am a newbie to Oracle databases....

We have a visualization front-end tool connected to an Oracle back-end
database on a Tru64 UNIX server. We also have clients with MS access
databases who would like to share their data using this visualization
tool but do not want to import their data into the Oracle server
back-end.

Is there any way we could use the Oracle backend to query the MS
Access databases and merge this data with other data in the Oracle
back-end for presentation  by the visualization tool? Perhaps through
ODBC or some other standard?

The Oracle back-end is a a Tru64 UNIX server running Oracle 8i.

Any input would be appreciated.

Andrea Segovia
A/Project Manager
0
andrea9234 (11)

Andrea M. Segovia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a newbie to Oracle databases....
>
> We have a visualization front-end tool connected to an Oracle back-end
> database on a Tru64 UNIX server. We also have clients with MS access
> databases who would like to share their data using this visualization
> tool but do not want to import their data into the Oracle server
> back-end.
>
> Is there any way we could use the Oracle backend to query the MS
> Access databases and merge this data with other data in the Oracle
> back-end for presentation  by the visualization tool? Perhaps through
> ODBC or some other standard?
>
> The Oracle back-end is a a Tru64 UNIX server running Oracle 8i.
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Andrea Segovia
> A/Project Manager

Oracles Heterogeneous services should do what you need, you set up a
dblink to the Access "database" thru ODBC and then more or less treat it
like any other linked db.

Andrea M. Segovia wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a newbie to Oracle databases....
>
> We have a visualization front-end tool connected to an Oracle back-end
> database on a Tru64 UNIX server. We also have clients with MS access
> databases who would like to share their data using this visualization
> tool but do not want to import their data into the Oracle server
> back-end.
>
> Is there any way we could use the Oracle backend to query the MS
> Access databases and merge this data with other data in the Oracle
> back-end for presentation  by the visualization tool? Perhaps through
> ODBC or some other standard?
>
> The Oracle back-end is a a Tru64 UNIX server running Oracle 8i.
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Andrea Segovia
> A/Project Manager

Your management needs to stop playing games with those that have the MS
Access databases and put all of the data into Oracle.

If you didn't have Oracle ... fine so you use MS Access. But once you
have Oracle there is no excuse for business data sitting on PCs where
there is no security, no guarantee of data integrity, and almost
undoubtedly no nightly backup.

All that money for Oracle and they are letting a some whiners make the
business decisions. Management ... needs to manage.

Move the d... data.
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel
11/26/2003 4:56:36 PM
Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Andrea M. Segovia wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a newbie to Oracle databases....
>>
>> We have a visualization front-end tool connected to an Oracle back-end
>> database on a Tru64 UNIX server. We also have clients with MS access
>> databases who would like to share their data using this visualization
>> tool but do not want to import their data into the Oracle server
>> back-end.
>>
>> Is there any way we could use the Oracle backend to query the MS
>> Access databases and merge this data with other data in the Oracle
>> back-end for presentation  by the visualization tool? Perhaps through
>> ODBC or some other standard?
>>
>> The Oracle back-end is a a Tru64 UNIX server running Oracle 8i.
>> Any input would be appreciated.
>>
>> Andrea Segovia
>> A/Project Manager
>

> Your management needs to stop playing games with those that have the MS
> Access databases and put all of the data into Oracle.
>
> If you didn't have Oracle ... fine so you use MS Access. But once you
> have Oracle there is no excuse for business data sitting on PCs where
> there is no security, no guarantee of data integrity, and almost
> undoubtedly no nightly backup.
>
> All that money for Oracle and they are letting a some whiners make the
> business decisions. Management ... needs to manage.
>
> Move the d... data.

I agree thats the best solution overall Daniel, but in some cases (like
mine) it may not be practical or even doable. Many of our areas purchase
these little MSaccess back end "niche" programs that do only one thing
and the vendor's eyes start to glaze over when you ask them if they have
an Oracle or SQL server version. I can rant all I want about the lack of
security, no restore to point of failure etc.. but in the end the
business unit will purchase what fits their needs best and I have to
deal with it.
Fortunatly I only have one set of tables in MsAccess that I have to have
accesible from an Oracle based app, but once it was set up it runs along
quite nicely. I'd still sooner have the tables sitting in their own
little Oracle schema, but if the product doesn't support it then I have
to make do...

Glen A Stromquist wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
>> Andrea M. Segovia wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am a newbie to Oracle databases....
>>>
>>> We have a visualization front-end tool connected to an Oracle back-end
>>> database on a Tru64 UNIX server. We also have clients with MS access
>>> databases who would like to share their data using this visualization
>>> tool but do not want to import their data into the Oracle server
>>> back-end.
>>>
>>> Is there any way we could use the Oracle backend to query the MS
>>> Access databases and merge this data with other data in the Oracle
>>> back-end for presentation  by the visualization tool? Perhaps through
>>> ODBC or some other standard?
>>>
>>> The Oracle back-end is a a Tru64 UNIX server running Oracle 8i.
>>> Any input would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Andrea Segovia
>>> A/Project Manager
>>

>> Your management needs to stop playing games with those that have the
>> MS Access databases and put all of the data into Oracle.
>>
>> If you didn't have Oracle ... fine so you use MS Access. But once you
>> have Oracle there is no excuse for business data sitting on PCs where
>> there is no security, no guarantee of data integrity, and almost
>> undoubtedly no nightly backup.
>>
>> All that money for Oracle and they are letting a some whiners make the
>> business decisions. Management ... needs to manage.
>>
>> Move the d... data.
>

> I agree thats the best solution overall Daniel, but in some cases (like
> mine) it may not be practical or even doable. Many of our areas purchase
> these little MSaccess back end "niche" programs that do only one thing
> and the vendor's eyes start to glaze over when you ask them if they have
> an Oracle or SQL server version. I can rant all I want about the lack of
> security, no restore to point of failure etc.. but in the end the
> business unit will purchase what fits their needs best and I have to
> deal with it.
> Fortunatly I only have one set of tables in MsAccess that I have to have
> accesible from an Oracle based app, but once it was set up it runs along
> quite nicely. I'd still sooner have the tables sitting in their own
> little Oracle schema, but if the product doesn't support it then I have
> to make do...

The vendors may not be able to do Oracle. Thats understandable. But
there is nothing that stops these systems from being backed up every
night to the Oracle database and then using the Oracle database as per
your original inquiry.

And I'd give you the same advice if the back-end was SQL Server or
Informix or any other industrial strength RDBMS. MS Access on a personal
PC just isn't a serious database for business applications.
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel
11/26/2003 9:43:45 PM
My enquiry was not meant to start a religious war....I also agree that
using a robust database on a server (preferably UNIX) is the better
way to go, but one has to work within the limitations imposed by the
environment.

In this case, the requirement is partially driven by accomodating
groups without the funding to spend on importing their data into the
Oracle environment as well as those groups with the type of
applications that Glenn mentioned. It is hoped that seeing what can be
done within the Oracle environment will encourage them to seek funding
for this....

As an aside, I doubt that your reply will encourage others new to
Oracle to post questions to the group for fear of being lambasted.
This forum is quite valuable as a learning tool, and while I agree
that pointing out the "ideal way" of doing things is useful, the
manner of your reply may be discouraging. You make the assumption that
the poster has the authority to correct the mistakes of the
organization and that is not a valid assumption in many cases. "User
and management education" is probably a better way to address this,
but in my experience, this does not happen overnight.

(Although new to Oracle, I have over 13 years systems and network
administration experience - and have slowly educated users,
developers, and management on various issues.)

Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1069883054.13946@yasure>...
> Glen A Stromquist wrote:
>
> > Daniel Morgan wrote:

> >> Your management needs to stop playing games with those that have the
> >> MS Access databases and put all of the data into Oracle.
> >>
> >> If you didn't have Oracle ... fine so you use MS Access. But once you
> >> have Oracle there is no excuse for business data sitting on PCs where
> >> there is no security, no guarantee of data integrity, and almost
> >> undoubtedly no nightly backup.
> >>
> >> All that money for Oracle and they are letting a some whiners make the
> >> business decisions. Management ... needs to manage.
> >>
> >> Move the d... data.
> >

> > I agree thats the best solution overall Daniel, but in some cases (like
> > mine) it may not be practical or even doable. Many of our areas purchase
> > these little MSaccess back end "niche" programs that do only one thing
> > and the vendor's eyes start to glaze over when you ask them if they have
> > an Oracle or SQL server version. I can rant all I want about the lack of
> > security, no restore to point of failure etc.. but in the end the
> > business unit will purchase what fits their needs best and I have to
> > deal with it.
> > Fortunatly I only have one set of tables in MsAccess that I have to have
> > accesible from an Oracle based app, but once it was set up it runs along
> > quite nicely. I'd still sooner have the tables sitting in their own
> > little Oracle schema, but if the product doesn't support it then I have
> > to make do...
> >

> The vendors may not be able to do Oracle. Thats understandable. But
> there is nothing that stops these systems from being backed up every
> night to the Oracle database and then using the Oracle database as per
> your original inquiry.
>
> And I'd give you the same advice if the back-end was SQL Server or
> Informix or any other industrial strength RDBMS. MS Access on a personal
> PC just isn't a serious database for business applications.
0
andrea9234 (11)
11/27/2003 5:45:13 PM
On 27 Nov 2003 09:45:13 -0800, andrea@mun.ca (Andrea M. Segovia)
wrote:

>"User
>and management education" is probably a better way to address this,
>but in my experience, this does not happen overnight.

I think you are wrong. Most of the people responding here have been
suffering for years from people who don't have any experience and are
asked by management (which doesn't have a clue about databases either)
to design a database. Experience dictates  those 'developers' usually
know better and don't *want* to be educated. They can point and click
and that is sufficient. On the other hand if they want to be educated
they leave the company before getting anywhere, after which they are
replaced by someone else inexperienced, leaving you with their mess.
To get through to these people the only thing which helps is getting
quite explicit. If that might be considered as 'rude', so be it.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
0
Andrea M. Segovia wrote:

> My enquiry was not meant to start a religious war....

You didn't. The answer was fact based and written to solve the problem
you presented: Nothing more.

> As an aside, I doubt that your reply will encourage others new to
> Oracle to post questions to the group for fear of being lambasted.

Anyone that isn't trembling in trepidation at the sight of their own
shadow knows that I lambasted your management ... not MS Access and not
you. If that scares them then perhaps they should retreat to 3x5 cards.

You comments about the "cost" of going to Oracle are based on what? I
could move data from an Access database to Oracle at the rate of one
database every day or two without a single dollar going to Oracle
corporation for more software. Perhaps you should talk to your SysAdmins
and DBAs about the concept of licensing by CPU.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel
11/27/2003 6:56:51 PM
Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2003 09:45:13 -0800, andrea@mun.ca (Andrea M. Segovia)
> wrote:
>

>>"User
>>and management education" is probably a better way to address this,
>>but in my experience, this does not happen overnight.
>

> I think you are wrong. Most of the people responding here have been
> suffering for years from people who don't have any experience and are
> asked by management (which doesn't have a clue about databases either)
> to design a database. Experience dictates  those 'developers' usually
> know better and don't *want* to be educated. They can point and click
> and that is sufficient. On the other hand if they want to be educated
> they leave the company before getting anywhere, after which they are
> replaced by someone else inexperienced, leaving you with their mess.
> To get through to these people the only thing which helps is getting
> quite explicit. If that might be considered as 'rude', so be it.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

And I think you, Sybrand, are correct.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel
11/27/2003 6:58:01 PM
"Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> I agree thats the best solution overall Daniel, but in some cases (like
> mine) it may not be practical or even doable. Many of our areas purchase
> these little MSaccess back end "niche" programs that do only one thing
> and the vendor's eyes start to glaze over when you ask them if they have
> an Oracle or SQL server version. I can rant all I want about the lack of
> security, no restore to point of failure etc.. but in the end the
> business unit will purchase what fits their needs best and I have to
> deal with it.
> Fortunatly I only have one set of tables in MsAccess that I have to have
> accesible from an Oracle based app, but once it was set up it runs along
> quite nicely. I'd still sooner have the tables sitting in their own
> little Oracle schema, but if the product doesn't support it then I have
> to make do...

Glenn,

It may be worth looking at relocating the "data" to an Oracle database (to
gain the security and backup benefits), but continue to use the MSAccess
application as the client.

Oracle's Migration Workbench for MSAccess has wizards which _could_ make the
migration quite a simple process.

Paul Dixon

0
Paul
12/1/2003 10:56:29 AM
andrea@mun.ca (Andrea M. Segovia) wrote in message news:<7589088f.0311260806.dc42dce@posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> I am a newbie to Oracle databases....
>
> We have a visualization front-end tool connected to an Oracle back-end
> database on a Tru64 UNIX server. We also have clients with MS access
> databases who would like to share their data using this visualization
> tool but do not want to import their data into the Oracle server
> back-end.
>
> Is there any way we could use the Oracle backend to query the MS
> Access databases and merge this data with other data in the Oracle
> back-end for presentation  by the visualization tool? Perhaps through
> ODBC or some other standard?
>
> The Oracle back-end is a a Tru64 UNIX server running Oracle 8i.
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Andrea Segovia
> A/Project Manager

Andrea,

A belated response, but just in case you don't have a solution, here
is what will work:

Oracle HS--> Unix based ODBC Driver for Access ----O--- MS ACCESS on
Windows.

You can obtain a Unix based ODBC Driver for ACCESS from
http://www.openlinksw.com

These drivers are available on a free 30 day evaluation basis.

Regards,
Kingsley Idehen
OpenLink Software
0
kidehen (3)
12/2/2003 9:49:19 PM
kidehen@openlinksw.com (Kingsley Idehen) wrote:

>andrea@mun.ca (Andrea M. Segovia) wrote in message news:<7589088f.0311260806.dc42dce@posting.google.com>...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a newbie to Oracle databases....
>>
>> We have a visualization front-end tool connected to an Oracle back-end
>> database on a Tru64 UNIX server. We also have clients with MS access
>> databases who would like to share their data using this visualization
>> tool but do not want to import their data into the Oracle server
>> back-end.
>>
>> Is there any way we could use the Oracle backend to query the MS
>> Access databases and merge this data with other data in the Oracle
>> back-end for presentation  by the visualization tool? Perhaps through
>> ODBC or some other standard?
>>
>> The Oracle back-end is a a Tru64 UNIX server running Oracle 8i.
>>
>> Any input would be appreciated.
>>
>> Andrea Segovia
>> A/Project Manager
>

>Andrea,
>
>A belated response, but just in case you don't have a solution, here
>is what will work:
>
>Oracle HS--> Unix based ODBC Driver for Access ----O--- MS ACCESS on
>Windows.
>
>You can obtain a Unix based ODBC Driver for ACCESS from
>http://www.openlinksw.com
>
>These drivers are available on a free 30 day evaluation basis.
>
>Regards,
>Kingsley Idehen
>OpenLink Software

Where on the site is it hidden? The Only Access drivers I see are for Windows..
0
Turkbear

ms access data access pages
hi my self uttam . i am working in r & d organization . friends i need a he lp from u . if any one of u know how add two sections(consisting of caption, header, footer ) be displayed on the same data page in ms access 2003 or 2005.i tried to display two tables on the data page in tabular format but i could not do it. it is allowing to display one table but it is not allowing to display the other table separately in tabular format . i want more than one table in tabular format to be dispalyed in data page separately with some text in-between tables. plz reply me with regards uttam On Mar 24, 5:06 am, kunu...@gmail.com wrote: > hi my self uttam . i am working in r & d organization . friends i > need a he lp from u . if any one of u know how add two > sections(consisting of caption, header, footer ) be displayed on the > same data page in ms access 2003 or 2005.i tried to display two tables > on the data page in > tabular format but i could not do it. it is allowing to display one > table but it is not allowing to display the other table separately in > tabular format . i want more than one table in tabular format to be > dispalyed in data page separately with some text in-between tables. > plz reply me > with regards > uttam Use a form and subforms. ...

Remote access to a ms-access db
Hello On my webserver I' ve got a ms-access database running. Now I would like to establish a remote access to this database, like the same I know in mysql. Are there any possibilities via ODBC-driver and over HTTP-Protokoll to access onto a ms-access db? Thanks a lot. Cheers - Hans Investigate connecting to an Access database using ASP (active server pages) and ADO. ...

Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access
How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to work. I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: select id from emp I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a book or website, would be greatly appreciated! berj Yes, I do have the table links working. But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number off of a sequence. As in: select test.nextval from dual; Where "test" is the name of an Oracle sequence. berj "Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:bp0821lsd8tt5ec5jhvtgbt46fdvb2t3dt@4ax.com... > The easiest way is to link the table in Access, then query the link. Is that > how you're trying to do it? > > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:25:36 -0800, "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote: > > >How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to > >work. > > > >I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. > > > > > >What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: > > > >select id from emp > > > > > >I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. > > > > > >Any help in how to get this done, or pointing ...

RE: How can I access data from MS Access?
Peter, I sadly admit that I was wrong. "Doesn't seem to work" is effectivly even more useless than "doesn't work". I give up. Years ago we used to get our FORTRAN card decks back from the DP center with a piece of scrap paper saysing "She No Work". top that. On 5 Feb, 19:40, "Sells, Fred" <f...@adventistcare.org> wrote: > Years ago we used to get our FORTRAN card decks back from the DP center > with a piece of scrap paper saysing "She No Work". top that. I used to use a cross-compiler (targetting some obscure single-c...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

Accessing data from an MS Exchange server from with Oracle
This may be more appropriately posted in an Exchange ng but I wanted to ask here first - we are looking to see if, from within Oracle (9i or 10g), there are any supported methods or gateways that enable us to access calendar information from an MS exchange server (versions tbc)? Has anyone here looked into it before or could point me in the direction of a resource that I might be able to get more information from? With many thanks for any assistance -- jeremy On 30 Oct, 09:22, jeremy <jeremy0...@gmail.com> wrote: > This may be more appropriately posted in an Exchange ng but I wanted > to ask here first - we are looking to see if, from within Oracle (9i > or 10g), there are any supported methods or gateways that enable us to > access calendar information from an MS exchange server (versions tbc)? > Has anyone here looked into it before or could point me in the > direction of a resource that I might be able to get more information > from? > > With many thanks for any assistance > > -- > jeremy I'm no Exchange expert, however, Oracle's Heterogeneous Connectivity may get you started in the right direction: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14232/toc.htm HTH -g On 30 Oct, 09:22, jeremy <jeremy0...@gmail.com> wrote: > This may be more appropriately posted in an Exchange ng but I wanted > to ask here first - we are looking to see if, from within Oracle (9i > or 10g), there are any suppo...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Does MS Access db have problems with multiple users access it at once?
I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My questions are: Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at once? If yes, what is your solution to this problem? I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple users accessing it at once. Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. Will the users just be reading, or will multiple users be writing at the same time? I've seen data corruption in older (Access '97) databases with large numbers of users reading and writing. I haven't seen any corruption where there's only one user writing. You might want to take a look at using MS-SQL, but it depends a lot on and whether the complexity of the application warrents the add'l resource investment... chloemelmom@yahoo.com (mary) wrote in message news:<a0a64947.0311251150.1357819@posting.google.com>... > I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My > questions are: > > Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at > once? > > If yes, what is your solution to this problem? > > I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple > users accessing it at once. > > Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. ...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

how to access MS data access 2.7 sdk ???
I keep getting the following when trying to create a connection to a database : Error: User defined type not declared . The declaration it is complaining about is : c1 As ADODB.Connecton I'm re-entering this mess from a couple of years ago, and just want to connect to a DB2 v8.1 database from a VB app. Any suggestions, code examples, etc., would be appreciated. Mairhtin O'Feannag mairhtin at techsolutionsgroupllc dot com ... On 24 May 2004 13:31:01 -0700, in comp.lang.basic.visual.database you wrote: >I keep getting the following when trying to create a co...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide me with a list to start researching. Thanks, Joe There used to be other third-party report writers, but I don't know how many have survived over the years -- Crystal Reports appears to have been the most popular of these packages. (It is the only one that I have observed closely in use, and I saw some impressive work done with it on web applications against SQL Server.) Unless the magnitude of the distributable would be a problem, you can create your reports in Access, and distribute the Access application to run them with Access' runtime support. You'll get the Access runtime support in the Office Developer Edition for Access 97 - 2002, and in the Visual Studio.NET Tools for Office 2003 System for Access 2003. If you have difficulties with deployment using only the Packaging and Distribution Wizard, you can use a third-party installer such as Wise InstallMaster or Instal...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Web resources about - Accessing data from an MS access db from an Oracle UNIX server - comp.databases.ms-access

Accessing the Future Fund a sensible proposal, says super expert Daryl Dixon
As portfolios go, the Future Fund's asset allocation is concentrated in higher-risk investment, including equities and alternative assets.

Accessing my Super
I'm 57 - can I access my super?

Australia, US accessing Indonesian telephone data, leaked documents show
Newly disclosed documents from former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden have revealed that Australian intelligence efforts against Indonesia ...

Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke detained at Melbourne Airport, accuses Customs officials of accessing ...
Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke has accused Customs officials of accessing hundreds of patients' sensitive records on his laptop after detaining ...