Hi!

I'm trying to connect to a MDB file via ODBC like this:

char *DSN = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\dev-cpp\\test\\1.mdb";

SQLAllocEnv(&env);
SQLAllocConnect(env, &hdbc);
SQLBrowseConnect(hdbc,
                       (UCHAR*)DSN,
                       strlen(DSN),
                       (UCHAR*)buf,
                        BUF_SIZE,
                       (SQLSMALLINT*)&rcvlen);

The function SQLBrowseConnect fails and SQLGetDiagRec returns
"IM001 Driver does not support this function"

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

David

0
dsiroky (7)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 12:55:30 +0200, David Siroky <dsiroky@email.cz>
wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I'm trying to connect to a MDB file via ODBC like this:
>
>char *DSN = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\dev-cpp\\test\\1.mdb";
>
>SQLAllocEnv(&env);
>SQLAllocConnect(env, &hdbc);
>SQLBrowseConnect(hdbc,
>                       (UCHAR*)DSN,
>                       strlen(DSN),
>                       (UCHAR*)buf,
>                        BUF_SIZE,
>                       (SQLSMALLINT*)&rcvlen);
>
>The function SQLBrowseConnect fails and SQLGetDiagRec returns
>"IM001 Driver does not support this function"
>
>Can anyone help me?
>
>Thanks!
>
>David

Hi
Maybe you need to post to another group, this one is very VB-based,
but
1. Can't you use ADO instead of ODBC? It is a lot easier.
2. Last time I did this sort of thing I set up a system DSN  in
advance ("MTM" in the example below) and connected to it as follows.
(This was db2 but Access should be similar).

	/* allocate an environment handle */
    retcode = SQLAllocHandle( SQL_HANDLE_ENV, SQL_NULL_HANDLE, &henv )
;
    if ( retcode != SQL_SUCCESS )
    {   printf( "\n--ERROR while allocating the environment handle.\n"
) ;
        printf( "  retcode           = %d\n", retcode);
        printf( "  line              = %d\n", __LINE__);
        printf( "  file              = %s\n", __FILE__);
        return( 1 ) ;
    }

	/* Set the ODBC version environment attribute */
   	retcode = SQLSetEnvAttr(henv, SQL_ATTR_ODBC_VERSION,
(void*)SQL_OV_ODBC3, 0);
	ENV_HANDLE_CHECK( henv, retcode ) //returns nonzero if error

    /* Allocate connection handle */
    retcode = SQLAllocHandle(SQL_HANDLE_DBC, henv, &hdbc);
	ENV_HANDLE_CHECK( henv, retcode ) //returns nonzero if error

    /* Set login timeout to 5 seconds. */
    /* SQLSetConnectAttr(hdbc, (void*)SQL_LOGIN_TIMEOUT, 5, 0); */

    /* Connect to data source */
    retcode = SQLConnect(hdbc, (SQLCHAR*) "MTM", SQL_NTS,
         (SQLCHAR*) "db2admin", SQL_NTS,
         (SQLCHAR*) "db2admin", SQL_NTS);
        DBC_HANDLE_CHECK( hdbc, retcode ) //returns nonzero if error

David

0
not
7/11/2005 8:22:02 AM
I've solved it. Using SQLDriverConnect with the same DSN instead
SQLBrowseConnect solves this. But thanx!

David

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 12:55:30 +0200, David Siroky <dsiroky@email.cz>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>I'm trying to connect to a MDB file via ODBC like this:
>>
>>char *DSN = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\dev-cpp\\test\\1.mdb";
>>
>>SQLAllocEnv(&env);
>>SQLAllocConnect(env, &hdbc);
>>SQLBrowseConnect(hdbc,
>>                       (UCHAR*)DSN,
>>                       strlen(DSN),
>>                       (UCHAR*)buf,
>>                        BUF_SIZE,
>>                       (SQLSMALLINT*)&rcvlen);
>>
>>The function SQLBrowseConnect fails and SQLGetDiagRec returns
>>"IM001 Driver does not support this function"
>>
>>Can anyone help me?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>David
>>
> Hi
> Maybe you need to post to another group, this one is very VB-based,
> but
> 1. Can't you use ADO instead of ODBC? It is a lot easier.
> 2. Last time I did this sort of thing I set up a system DSN  in
> advance ("MTM" in the example below) and connected to it as follows.
> (This was db2 but Access should be similar).
>
> 	/* allocate an environment handle */
>     retcode = SQLAllocHandle( SQL_HANDLE_ENV, SQL_NULL_HANDLE, &henv )
> ;
>     if ( retcode != SQL_SUCCESS )
>     {   printf( "\n--ERROR while allocating the environment handle.\n"
> ) ;
>         printf( "  retcode           = %d\n", retcode);
>         printf( "  line              = %d\n", __LINE__);
>         printf( "  file              = %s\n", __FILE__);
>         return( 1 ) ;
>     }
>
> 	/* Set the ODBC version environment attribute */
>    	retcode = SQLSetEnvAttr(henv, SQL_ATTR_ODBC_VERSION,
> (void*)SQL_OV_ODBC3, 0);
> 	ENV_HANDLE_CHECK( henv, retcode ) //returns nonzero if error
>
>     /* Allocate connection handle */
>     retcode = SQLAllocHandle(SQL_HANDLE_DBC, henv, &hdbc);
> 	ENV_HANDLE_CHECK( henv, retcode ) //returns nonzero if error
>
>     /* Set login timeout to 5 seconds. */
>     /* SQLSetConnectAttr(hdbc, (void*)SQL_LOGIN_TIMEOUT, 5, 0); */
>
>     /* Connect to data source */
>     retcode = SQLConnect(hdbc, (SQLCHAR*) "MTM", SQL_NTS,
>          (SQLCHAR*) "db2admin", SQL_NTS,
>          (SQLCHAR*) "db2admin", SQL_NTS);
>         DBC_HANDLE_CHECK( hdbc, retcode ) //returns nonzero if error
>
> David

0
dsiroky (7)
7/11/2005 1:10:07 PM
"David Schofield"  wrote

 > Maybe you need to post to another group,
 > this one is very VB-based,

No, this one is for any Microsoft Access related issue. That includes, but
is not limited to, the graphic UI, VBA code, SQL code, Query Builder,
Wizards....

 > but
 > 1. Can't you use ADO instead of
 > ODBC? It is a lot easier.

I am not sure why you feel ADO is easier. I didn't find it so. I am more
comfortable using DAO and ODBC because I have been using it ever since
Access 2.0 was released in 1994, and DAO - Jet - ODBC - server is the
current recommendation of the Access team at Microsoft.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

0
bouncer (4168)
7/12/2005 5:33:22 AM
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:33:22 GMT, "Larry Linson"
<bouncer@localhost.not> wrote:

>"David Schofield"  wrote
>
> > Maybe you need to post to another group,
> > this one is very VB-based,
>
>No, this one is for any Microsoft Access related issue. That includes, but
>is not limited to, the graphic UI, VBA code, SQL code, Query Builder,
>Wizards....
>
> > but
> > 1. Can't you use ADO instead of
> > ODBC? It is a lot easier.
>
>I am not sure why you feel ADO is easier. I didn't find it so. I am more
>comfortable using DAO and ODBC because I have been using it ever since
>Access 2.0 was released in 1994, and DAO - Jet - ODBC - server is the
>current recommendation of the Access team at Microsoft.
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Access MVP

Hi
I didn't mean it was off topic but just that he might get more replies
in another group, after all his is a C program and he hadn't been
answered here. By VB-based I meant the code discussed is usually vba.
On ODBC and Microsoft I am glad to hear it but it does sound like
backtracking to me. It isn't the impression given to the non Access
community.
Personally I have nearly always used DAO (and always in Access) but as
you know a few posters here are avid ADO converts.
Cheers
David

PS in 2002 someone asked here
Hi,
can you help to write a simple C code to send an sql query
to an access db?
thanx
alessio.

and michka replied
There is no simple C code since you need to do one of the following:
a) use COM to get to ADO/DAO to Jet, or
b) use the ODBC API to get to Jet
b) use OLE DB to get to Jet

(A) in C is insane, even in C++ its a challenge if you have not done
if before (and this is the wrong group for it).
(B) in C is beyond insane and difficult, and again this is the wrong
group for it.
(C) again requires C++ and COM, and once this is the wrong group for
it.

0
miles

Problem with MS Access Database
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C56A17.539605A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I'm using wxWidgets now a long time for designig my applications. This weekend I tried first to use the Database classes, but I've got a problem with them... I've got an Microsoft Access Datenbase, with two tables: Orte(ID, Staat, Name, and so on) PLZOrte(ID, PLZ) This tables are set into a relationship. The field ID ist the primary key in Orte and set up the relation. Now I'd like to do a query to this database in my...

problem accessing access 97 database through odbc on windows 2003 sp1
Hello, We have a legacy application which relies on an Access 97 database (upgrading is nog an option atm). As we are setting up a new server (Windows 2003), we started experiencing problems running that application after installing all required updates (Windows, Office, ..) It did work before updating, with a basic OS + application installation. Somewhere an update dit break things, but we do not know which one. Now for the problem. When starting the application, following error is returned: --------------------------- ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed ---------------------------...

Read-Only ODBC Access to MS Access 2000
I have created an ODBC File DSN data source in Windows XP. I have successfully used this DSN to link tables from a Sybase SQL Anywhere database to Access 2000. How can you make this ODBC connection read-only? P.S. I would like to make the ODBC connection itself read-only (if possible) rather than adding security to the MS Access DB. ...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security
All, I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access 97 database applications that support production and order fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following problems: 1) no one can make modifications to the database except by logging in using the database creator's userid and password on the workstation used by that person, who has of course left the company. Anyone else who tries to access the database, even the system administrator, gets the message "You dont have the nececssary permissions to use the xxxxxxxxx object.Have your system administrator or the person who created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you." 2) We logged in and "added" another person with the same permissions as the creator for all database objects, except we did not change the database object "ownerships", and the problem still persists. I suspect that the ownerships are the problem. Is this so? 3) I dont know anything about the restriction to a particular machine. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue? TIA JL <jliebman@kjlsoftware.com> wrote in message news:1176986756.146353.213270@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > All, > > I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access > 97 database applications that support production and order > fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following > problems: > > 1) no one can make modifications ...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

Web resources about - accessing MS Access database fila via ODBC problem - comp.databases.ms-access

Accessing the Future Fund a sensible proposal, says super expert Daryl Dixon
As portfolios go, the Future Fund's asset allocation is concentrated in higher-risk investment, including equities and alternative assets.

Accessing my Super
I'm 57 - can I access my super?

Australia, US accessing Indonesian telephone data, leaked documents show
Newly disclosed documents from former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden have revealed that Australian intelligence efforts against Indonesia ...

Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke detained at Melbourne Airport, accuses Customs officials of accessing ...
Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke has accused Customs officials of accessing hundreds of patients' sensitive records on his laptop after detaining ...