If I have a computer without Microsoft Access installed but with an
ODBC connection to a .mdb file - can I still access the 'database' via
ODBC?

thanks

Tim

0
timasmith (244)

<timasmith@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If I have a computer without Microsoft Access installed but with an
> ODBC connection to a .mdb file - can I still access the 'database' via
> ODBC?

Yes, provided you are running a program prepared in a language that supports
ODBC and have installed an ODBC driver on that user's machine.

What you cannot do is to access a Jet (often called Access) database via
ODBC from Access. You can link to tables in that Jet database, or open it
directly, but you can't ODBC to Jet tables from Access itself.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

0
bouncer (4168)

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Accessing Access

Read-Only ODBC Access to MS Access 2000
I have created an ODBC File DSN data source in Windows XP. I have successfully used this DSN to link tables from a Sybase SQL Anywhere database to Access 2000. How can you make this ODBC connection read-only? P.S. I would like to make the ODBC connection itself read-only (if possible) rather than adding security to the MS Access DB. ...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Using Iseries Access ODBC Driver with MS ACCESS 2003
When Trying attaching databases into MsAccess2003 using Iseries Access ODBC Driver (I'm in OS400 v5r2) I get an error message according to which the duration of connection is too long and so I can't attach the database although I got the list of the tables in the library I specified. Can anyone help me ? Thanks in advance. The timeout to dispay de data is small. You need to increase this timeout. The problem can occur when the tables are very very very (but very) big. "Bertrand Bard" <bbard@dehon.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:d01a5cc.0404280030.58f11d3e@posting.go...

Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access
How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to work. I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: select id from emp I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a book or website, would be greatly appreciated! berj Yes, I do have the table links working. But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number off of a sequence. As in: select test.nextval fro...

ms access data access pages
hi my self uttam . i am working in r & d organization . friends i need a he lp from u . if any one of u know how add two sections(consisting of caption, header, footer ) be displayed on the same data page in ms access 2003 or 2005.i tried to display two tables on the data page in tabular format but i could not do it. it is allowing to display one table but it is not allowing to display the other table separately in tabular format . i want more than one table in tabular format to be dispalyed in data page separately with some text in-between tables. plz reply me with regards uttam On Mar 24, 5:06 am, kunu...@gmail.com wrote: > hi my self uttam . i am working in r & d organization . friends i > need a he lp from u . if any one of u know how add two > sections(consisting of caption, header, footer ) be displayed on the > same data page in ms access 2003 or 2005.i tried to display two tables > on the data page in > tabular format but i could not do it. it is allowing to display one > table but it is not allowing to display the other table separately in > tabular format . i want more than one table in tabular format to be > dispalyed in data page separately with some text in-between tables. > plz reply me > with regards > uttam Use a form and subforms. ...

Accessing MS-Access from Solaris and AIX
Hi: I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives. (I can't change database product) Thanks, Vasanth on 7/12/2004 11:48 AM Vasanth Wrote: > Hi: > I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on > Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to > Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win > platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and > AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I > need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access > is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives. > (I can't change database product) > > Thanks, > Vasanth Vasanth, You would need odbc drivers on Solaris/AIX. Googling for odbc unix gives a good hit: http://www.easysoft.com/solutions/accessnw.phtml Its a good place to start your investigations from... -- Shanmu. Vasanth wrote: > Hi: > I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Acce...

MS Access Question for Access Gurus
I have one table called Album another table called Song One Album has many songs I created an Album form that contains a Song Subform. in the Song table I have a field id which is the primary key, and another field called index The song index is a number that represents the song number on the record. For example on the Beatle's Album: Abbey Road the song indices are as follows: Track Listings 1. Come Together 2. Something 3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer 4. Oh! Darling 5. Octopus's Garden 6. I Want You (She's So Heavy) 7. Here Comes the Sun ...

MS Access trying to access the Internet
The personal firewall on my computer keeps informing me that MS Access is trying to access the Internet. I deny the process from continuing, so I don't know where it is trying to go. Is this typical behavior for MS Access? Thanks. ...

Web resources about - accessing ms access via ODBC without Microsoft Access - comp.databases.ms-access

Accessing the Future Fund a sensible proposal, says super expert Daryl Dixon
As portfolios go, the Future Fund's asset allocation is concentrated in higher-risk investment, including equities and alternative assets.

Accessing my Super
I'm 57 - can I access my super?

Australia, US accessing Indonesian telephone data, leaked documents show
Newly disclosed documents from former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden have revealed that Australian intelligence efforts against Indonesia ...

Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke detained at Melbourne Airport, accuses Customs officials of accessing ...
Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke has accused Customs officials of accessing hundreds of patients' sensitive records on his laptop after detaining ...