Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access

How difficult is this?  I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to
work.

I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP.

What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work:

select id from emp

I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point.

Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a
book or website, would be greatly appreciated!

berj

0
berj1 (8)

Yes, I do have the table links working.

But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number
off of a sequence.  As in:

select test.nextval from dual;

Where "test" is the name of an Oracle sequence.

berj

"Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> The easiest way is to link the table in Access, then query the link.  Is
that
> how you're trying to do it?
>
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:25:36 -0800, "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> >How difficult is this?  I'm having a tough time getting a simple select
> >work.
> >
> >I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP.
> >

> >What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work:
> >
> >select id from emp
> >

> >I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point.
> >

> >Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction
of a
> >book or website, would be greatly appreciated!
> >

> >berj

0
berj1 (8)
3/1/2005 5:48:41 AM
The easiest way is to link the table in Access, then query the link.  Is that
how you're trying to do it?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:25:36 -0800, "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote:

>How difficult is this?  I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to
>work.
>
>I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP.
>

>What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work:
>
>select id from emp
>

>I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point.
>

>Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a
>book or website, would be greatly appreciated!
>

>berj

0
nospam48 (2784)
3/1/2005 5:53:33 AM
Access does not deal directly with sequences, so you'll have to use a
pass-through query.  You should be able to simply type your statement into the
pass-through query, set the query's connection property to point to the
server, and run it.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:48:41 -0800, "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Yes, I do have the table links working.
>
>But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number
>off of a sequence.  As in:
>
>select test.nextval from dual;
>

>Where "test" is the name of an Oracle sequence.
>
>berj
>

>"Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> The easiest way is to link the table in Access, then query the link.  Is
>that
>> how you're trying to do it?
>>
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:25:36 -0800, "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote:
>>
>> >How difficult is this?  I'm having a tough time getting a simple select
>> >work.
>> >
>> >I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP.
>> >

>> >What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work:
>> >
>> >select id from emp
>> >

>> >I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point.
>> >

>> >Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction
>of a
>> >book or website, would be greatly appreciated!
>> >

>> >berj

0
nospam48 (2784)
3/1/2005 6:08:51 AM
how?

> Access does not deal directly with sequences, so you'll have to use a
> pass-through query.  You should be able to simply type your statement into
the
> pass-through query, set the query's connection property to point to the
> server, and run it.
>
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:48:41 -0800, "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> >Yes, I do have the table links working.
> >
> >But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next
number
> >off of a sequence.  As in:
> >
> >select test.nextval from dual;
> >

> >Where "test" is the name of an Oracle sequence.
> >
> >berj
> >

> >"Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >> The easiest way is to link the table in Access, then query the link.
Is
> >that
> >> how you're trying to do it?

> >of a

0
berj1 (8)
3/1/2005 7:00:16 AM
berj wrote:

> how?

Open a new query in design view.

Close the Show table window without picking any tables/queries

On menus, cLick on Query->SQL SPecific->PAss-through

The query is now in SQL view (the white background)

Assign the DSN connection: click View->Properties, if the properties
window is not visible

On the query properties window, there is aq property called ODBC COnnect
str.  CLick the builder button and select the DSN just as you would for
making a linked table.

Now, type in Select Sequence_name.nextval from dual (do not use the semi
colon - Oracle is very picky about semi colons and they are not required
in select statements).

Run the query and you advance the sequence by one or whatever your
interval is.

YOu can also use the above method to run many SQL commands.

--
Tim   http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<
Tim Marshall <TIMMY!@PurplePandaChasers.Moertherium> wrote:

> Oracle is very picky about semi colons and they are not required
> in select statements

Presumably you mean just in Access SQL statements?  They're certainly
needed in SQLplus.
0
keith.wilby (292)
3/1/2005 4:29:50 PM
Grumpy Old Man wrote:

> Tim Marshall <TIMMY!@PurplePandaChasers.Moertherium> wrote:
>

>>Oracle is very picky about semi colons and they are not required
>>in select statements
>

> Presumably you mean just in Access SQL statements?  They're certainly
> needed in SQLplus.

Actually Grumpy, for select, insert, delete, update statements, they are
not.  8)

They are only required in SQL Plus if you don't want to have to press
the / key to execute.  The semi-colon will execute an SQL Plus (and
presumeably TOAD, though I've never played with TOAD - and no frog jokes
please!!! 8)  ) on pressing enter.  Otherwise, you need to execute the
statement with the back slash.

I've had difficulty when including a semi colon in a pass through query
because Oracle doesn't know what to do with it when the statement is
passed directly to it this way.  It's been a few years, but IIRC, it
returned an invalid character error in Oracle trandsferred to Access.

My understanding is the semi-colon acts as the terminator for PL/SQL
code.  I am pretty shaky on PL/SQL, though, but this is what I've
divined from my Oracle DBA and comp.databases.Oracle.*
--
Tim    http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<
/#) "Burp-beep, burp-beep, burp-beep?" - Quaker Jake
/^^ "Whatcha doin?" - Ditto  "TIM-MAY!!" - Me
0
Tim
3/1/2005 5:29:37 PM
Tim Marshall <TIMMY!@PurplePandaChasers.Moertherium> wrote:

> Actually Grumpy, for select, insert, delete, update statements, they are
> not.  8)
>
> They are only required in SQL Plus if you don't want to have to press
> the / key to execute.

That was my understanding, thanks for the clarification.

Keith.
0
keith.wilby (292)

How to access MS Access from Perl?

How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
Dear all, I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know when they were created and/or modified. The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, but I have not managed to read it from SAS. (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. Regards Dietrich -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name
i am not sure if SAS will support long file name if you use libname. a workaround is to use passthrough. On Jan 16, 2008 12:31 PM, JKamgang@Yahoo.com <JBKamgang@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > > > > Happy New Year , > > > > Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS > Access > table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 > databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I > don't want to rename manually the table names. > > > > Please find the program below. > > > > Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, > > > > Jean Baptiste > > > > The program: > > - - - > > > > options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ; > > libname DBsource access 'S:\Data > Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 > Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; > > /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > > > data* pedResultadd ; > > set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = > > testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text > > ); > * > > run*; > > - - - The log - - > > 1636 > > 1637 /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > 1638 > > 1639 data pedResultadd ; > > 1640 set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional...

Accessing Access

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Re: How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
The answer is given here: Problem Note 7495: No read permission on System Tables when using SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC with a Microsoft Access ODBC Driver http://support.sas.com/kb/7/495.html Regards Dietrich Dietrich Alte schrieb: > Dear all, > > I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know > when they were created and/or modified. > The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, > but I have not managed to read it from SAS. > (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) > --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? > I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. > > Regards > > Dietrich > -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name #2
Hi Jean, It looks like your problem is that you've got a quote in a table name: Additional'n=20 If it is possible to rename that table, that might work. =20 Also, if you use the import feature in SAS, it will write code for you = that you can save and put in a program- you might try that to see if it = can handle this kind of file name. I'd rename the table in Access, = though- a quote in a table name is likely to contiously cause you = problems. -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: JKamgang@Yahoo.com=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:31 AM Subject: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name = which has more than 32 characters? Dear All, Happy New Year , Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I don't want to rename manually the table names. Please find the program below. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, Jean Baptiste The program: - - - options VALIDVARNAME=3DANY ; libname DBsource access 'S:\Data Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ data* pedResultadd ; set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTest...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name #3
Jean - Unfortunately you are stuck - SAS only allows dataset names up to 32 bytes long - using name literals or conventional names. Defining short-named queries of your tables within MSAccess is a very good idea. The SAS libname engine will read the queries as tables and it doesn't necessitate changing your table names. Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of JKamgang@Yahoo.com Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:32 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters? Dear All, Happy New Year , Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I don't want to rename manually the table names. Please find the program below. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, Jean Baptiste The program: - - - options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ; libname DBsource access 'S:\Data Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ data* pedResultadd ; set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text ); * run...

Web resources about - Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access - comp.databases.ms-access

Accessing the Future Fund a sensible proposal, says super expert Daryl Dixon
As portfolios go, the Future Fund's asset allocation is concentrated in higher-risk investment, including equities and alternative assets.

Accessing my Super
I'm 57 - can I access my super?

Australia, US accessing Indonesian telephone data, leaked documents show
Newly disclosed documents from former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden have revealed that Australian intelligence efforts against Indonesia ...

Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke detained at Melbourne Airport, accuses Customs officials of accessing ...
Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke has accused Customs officials of accessing hundreds of patients' sensitive records on his laptop after detaining ...