After the default printer has been changed by code in Access 2003, the application still directs a report to the former default printer.

Could someone please help? I am using the 'defaultprt.zip' tool
provided by Ken Getz to change the default printer via VBA code (code
below). My problem is that once the default printer has been changed,
Access 2003 still directs the report to the former default printer.
Access 2003 picks up the new default printer setting only after I have
reopened the application. I have checked the default printer setting in
the OS control panel and the code works well. This problem also occurs
when an Access 2003 application is open and one changes the default
printer manually in the control panel (Windows 2000).

To me it seems that Access 2003 picks up the default printer setting
once at Application Start-up only. Is there a way that I can force
Access to "refresh" the default printer after I have changed it by
code without closing/reopening the application?

THANKS

Code to SET DEFAULT PRINTER by Ken Getz:
Option Compare Database   'Use database order for string comparisons
Option Explicit

' Code from:
' Microsoft Access 95 How-To
' (c) 1998 Ken Getz and Paul Litwin
' All rights reserved.

' You may only use this code as part of an application
' that requires its use. You must including this
' notice intact. You may not distribute the code
' as your own work, nor can you distribute the
' code on its own.

Private Function BuildName(dr As aht_tagDeviceRec) As Variant

   ' Build up the string in the format:
   '  HP LaserJet 4 on LPT1:
   ' for display in the combo box.

   BuildName = dr.drDeviceName & " on " & dr.drPort

End Function

Private Sub Button0_Click()

   DoCmd.Close

End Sub

0
i8mypnuts (1)

i8mypnuts@yahoo.com wrote:
< SNIP >
> To me it seems that Access 2003 picks up the default printer setting
> once at Application Start-up only. Is there a way that I can force
> Access to "refresh" the default printer after I have changed it by
> code without closing/reopening the application?
< SNIP >

0
me2968 (1474)

Default Printer in report set by Access and not by me
Hi there, I have created an Access 2002 db which contains several reports. Some reports need to be printed on a Laserjet and others on a Labelprinter. One of my clients wants to be able to print the same reports to 3 different laserjets and to 3 different labelprinters. (They work with the db on 3 different units each with their own Laserjet and Labelprinter) For each unit there is a copy of all the reports. The client can make a unit profile in which the specific printers for that unit are defined. When the client wants to print a report, I check whether the printer defined for the unit is t...

Access randomly changed paper size for default printer
Greetings all! My problem is this. I've installed a new printer on my computer. This is the "default printer" for access. Now, some of my reports, which were working fine with the old printer, are now showing up with an odd view (very enlarged) in preview. If I go to page setup, and choose specific printer to then look at the paper size listed in my default printer, it shows Hegaki Card 100mmX148mm instead of letter. It seems as though if I change it, save the report (with the specific printer) and then switch back to the default printer and save again it's ok, but this seems like an awful lot of messing around. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but would appreciate some help. BTW- if I look at the printer settings from windows printers and faxes, the default is letter. The reports are also showing letter if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance. PS... I forgot to mention I'm using Access 2003 SP2 Thanks again On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:24:59 -0800 (PST), brianflannery@tds.net wrote: >Greetings all! > >My problem is this. I've installed a new printer on my computer. >This is the "default printer" for access. Now, some of my reports, >which were working fine with the old printer, are now showing up with >an odd view (very enlarged) in preview. If I go to page setup, and >choose specific printer to then look at the paper size listed in my >default printer, it shows Hegaki Card 100mmX148mm i...

default printer on toolbar in access 2002
hi all, i have a problem with a network database that's used by a lot of people. people are finding, they will start the database, and if the mouse is moved over the print icon, the tooltip appears to show which printer it will print to as normal. this printer however is a printer that the user doesn't even have installed. if they however click file > print, they can print to their default printer or any printer that they have installed. any ideas what would be causing this, and possibly how to fix it? thanks everyone. Suggestions: 1. Make sure the Name AutoCorrect boxes are unchecked under: Tools | Options | General Then compact the database: Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/repair Explanation of why: http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html The link regarding printers and report is just one of those problems. 2. Open the report in design view. Choose Page Setup from the File menu. On the middle tab, make sure the report is set for: Default Printer not a specific printer. 3. If the problem still exists, open the database on a computer that displays this problem, and open the Immediate Window (Ctrl+G). Enter: ? Printer.DeviceName This will tell you if the Printer object in Access 2002 is set to something different than the Windows Default Printer. Setting the Printer to the correct member of the Printers collection should solve the problem. 4. If there are multiple users in this database, split the database so each user has their ow...

Cannot Open Report unless I change default printer
I have had this before in the past and just ignored it, but now I need a solution. Basically, using ACC2003 if I have one particular printer as the default, the reports will not open in design, preview, or print mode. If I change my default printer to some other printer it will work. Interesting point also is that I can print to the original printer as long as it is not set as the default? ...

report object property 2C whether specific printer or default printer?
Access 97 Q: Can I examine a report object property setting in VBA and tell whether the report is setup to print to a specific printer or to the windows default printer? You know, the setting you see in the little window that appears when you open report in design view, click File, Page Setup, the Page tab (middle one). There's a little 2-radio button option group there allowing me to choose (1) default printer or (2) user specific printer. I'd like to cycle through all my printers and determine the setting programatically. Ideas? Could you store the value in the Tag property of the report? Or in a table and grab the value when you are going to print the report by using a variation of D/TLookup? Then if you leave the tag value blank, it'll use the default printer. On 24 Sep 2006 20:57:50 -0700, pietlinden@hotmail.com wrote: >Could you store the value in the Tag property of the report? Or in a >table and grab the value when you are going to print the report by >using a variation of D/TLookup? > >Then if you leave the tag value blank, it'll use the default printer. Thx. That would work, sure enough, for future reports created. Of course, so would making sure all reports created henceforth are done so with the windows default printer selection set. I'm in need of checking the setting on 50+ reports that have already been created 'n saved. Done! Had ot use a windoze macro generator to automate the process and had to watch it thro...

Export MS ACCESS 2003 Report Directly to CSV File?
I am working on a trade processing project for my company. I would like to export a report directly to .csv format. I have looked all over in the groups for a way to do this. Appearently something that would seem to be fairly simple is not. I had mixed success dropping the report into excel but upon export is carried over the field headers that I dont want to appear in the CSV extract. I really dont want to have to use xls. I want to drop a report cleanly into CSV. Does anyone know of a way this can be done? jpodesta@ibtco.com wrote: > I am working on a trade processing project for my co...

Rendering MS Access Report Into Something Else Besides Printer/PDF?
I'm doing a booklet for a class reunion. Got all the data and everybody's life history in a little MS Access app and now it's time to get the booklet ready to go to the printer's. I have a report that creates same, but rather than send it to a printer of PDF file, I'd prefer to get it into MS Word, PageMaker, or some other document editor. Reason: some people have sent in pictures, and I'd like to flow the text around their pix. I've considered exporting to an MS Word mail-merge, but there's so much contitional formatting in the report (mainly, if somebod...

Compacting a code database upon application exit (with an Access 2003 MDE)
I realize that a database can not be compacted if it is open. I created a few "work" tables in the code MDB and a few append queries and regular queries. When I run the form that uses them, the database keeps growing substantially every time it is run. The tables do not contain many records. Do the queries contain records? I can have Access 2003 (soon to be converted to 20101) compact the database On Close, but this won't work in an MDE environment, right? Is there a way to compact the code database within an MDE? Is it the queries that are bloating the database? Like I said, the tables do not contain many records. Thanks, -paulw Compact On Close is seldom, if ever, an appropriate thing to do. Databases shouldn't be compacted that frequently: it can actually cause corruption. Consider putting your work tables in a temporary database. Tony Toews has an example at http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/temptables.htm "PW" wrote in message news:7ji8c7tpho68nnupp0jf8nd7vfomvj1en4@4ax.com... I realize that a database can not be compacted if it is open. I created a few "work" tables in the code MDB and a few append queries and regular queries. When I run the form that uses them, the database keeps growing substantially every time it is run. The tables do not contain many records. Do the queries contain records? I can have Access 2003 (soon to be converted to 20101) compact the database On Close, but this won't work in an MDE ...

change default printer
Hello! i amn trying to add a Visuail basic 6 code to an excisting code that has the purpose to change the current default printer to another printer by name and then after the printer to change back to the old default printer again... Anyone knows how to do this easy?? http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/system/defaultprinter.htm http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/system/setdefaultprinter.htm -- Randy Birch MS MVP Visual Basic http://vbnet.mvps.org/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Read. Decide. Sign the petition to Microsoft. http://classicvb.org/petition/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "goJoe" <goJoe@yahoo.dk> wrote in message news:439ad5fc$0$47032$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... : Hello! : i amn trying to add a Visuail basic 6 code to an excisting code that has the : purpose to change the current default printer to another printer by name and : then after the printer to change back to the old default printer again... : : Anyone knows how to do this easy?? : : ...

Change default printer
I have an application I'm working on in Delphi 5 (Win 2k) and I want to create a report which I can fax to various recipients. Creating the report is easy (I'm using Quick Reports), but I want to change the default printer driver and force the system to use a specific one (which is a fax driver), which will not be the Windows default printer. It should however, be set up the same on each PC so I will initially want to aim for that (and handle errors later). The problem is forcing it to use a specific printer driver. There aren't any obvious options in Quick Reports, so I ...

When using &quot;Print Report&quot; my default printer changes.
Hello, &nbsp; I have the need to print two different kinds of reports to two different printers depending on which report it is.&nbsp; I use the Office toolkit and wire the correct printer for the report using the "Print Report" tool.&nbsp; However, each time I do this, it changes the default printer in Windows to the printer wired.&nbsp; I don't want to change the default printer just send the report to the specified printer.&nbsp; Is there a work around? Hi The Q, a workaround could be to read first which&nbsp;the default printer is, then print your page with the printer you want and then reset the stored printer to default. The information which printer is the default printer can be read from the registry. &nbsp; Hope this helps. Mike ...

MS Access 2003 Find/Replace "Search field as formatted" checked as default
If anyone can help...Whenevr I go into a form and use the ctrl+F to find something with the binoculars the "Search field as formatted" is checked as default. This seems to slow down the find considerably. If I uncheck it the search is usually instant. The problem is I dont always rememeber to uncheck it. Does anyone know a way to permantly change the default? Thank You ...

Changing database from access to my sql
Hi... &nbsp; So far i was working with Labview and Access.As the requirement,we have to migrate from access to MySql. Now dealing with queries i am facing lots of problem.Many of my queries worked well&nbsp;with Access is not working with MySQL. I had used some complex queries.Even queries to extract monthly data(where in the database&nbsp; its in year-month-date format), where i have used format function and group by clause is not working properly with My SQL. Why its like that?In both access and mysql we are using sql queries.Is there&nbsp;syntax difference in MySQL?&nbsp; &nbsp; the following query worked well with access ... &nbsp; SELECT DISTINCTROW&nbsp; format$(Avg([ID]),"#0.00"), Format$(avg([Date]),"dd/mm/yyyy"),format$(Avg([Res Lvl]),"#0.00"), format$( Avg([IW-B-(L)]) ,"#0.00") FROM `DPD-BTU-SEEP`GROUP BY Format$([DPD-BTU-SEEP].[Date],"yyyy/mm"), Year([DPD-BTU-SEEP].[Date]) ORDER BY Format$([DPD-BTU-SEEP].[Date],"yyyy/mm"); &nbsp; But its not working with mysql. I tried to execute the query in the query browser directl also but getting error.Date is in the format of YYYY-mm-dd in my sql so i have to change.But dont know what is the problem with the format function format$(Avg([ID]),"#0.00").Its also having error. &nbsp; Even the quesion is more related to data base than labview can any body help me regarding this? &nbsp; Thanks in advance... ...

using the printer object, how do I tell what my default printer is
I want to set the margins on a report to specific settings so I'm thinking this will set the prt object to my default printer Dim prt As Printer Set prt = Application.Printers(0) but it doesn't and application.printers.count correct shows that I have eight possible printers so I could cycle through them if there was a prt property for 'default printer' but I can't find one is there a way to do this ? On Nov 9, 5:19=A0pm, Roger <lesperan...@natpro.com> wrote: > I want to set the margins on a report to specific settings > so I'm thinking this will set the prt object to my default printer > > =A0 =A0 Dim prt As Printer > =A0 =A0 Set prt =3D Application.Printers(0) > > but it doesn't > and application.printers.count correct shows that I have eight > possible printers > so I could cycle through them if there was a prt property for 'default > printer' =A0but I can't find one > > is there a way to do this ? looks like this will do it application.Printer.DeviceName and application.printer also has a rightMargin setting so ?application.printer.RightMargin 360 how does 360 relate to a 1" margin if I change the margin using application.Printer.RightMargin =3D 200 will it apply to any reports that are printed or export to pdf (access2010) On Nov 9, 6:27=A0pm, Roger <lesperan...@natpro.com> wrote: > On Nov 9, 5:19=A0pm, Roger <lesperan...@natpro.com> wrote: ...

View Access 2003 database in Access 2000
How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? rahulghai12@gmail.com wrote: > How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? > look here http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HP051863711033.aspx ...

code for reading default printer
Has anyone got some code for reading which printer is the default, or simply setting the printer to default? Thanks John Fox "John Fox" <altabios@bham.ac.uk> wrote in message news:ggoldq$1g7$1@north.jnrs.ja.net... > Has anyone got some code for reading which printer > is the default, or simply setting the printer to default? Assuming Access 2002 or later, you can read the default printer as: Printer.DeviceName You can set the default printer to use in Access as: Set Printer = Printers(1) substituting the correct number (or the DeviceName in quotes.) To reset to the Windows default printer again: Set Printer = Nothing If you are using an older version of Access, it is much more messy. See help on: PrtDevNames -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. Thank you very much, just what I needed. John Fox Allen Browne wrote: > "John Fox" <altabios@bham.ac.uk> wrote in message > news:ggoldq$1g7$1@north.jnrs.ja.net... >> Has anyone got some code for reading which printer >> is the default, or simply setting the printer to default? > > Assuming Access 2002 or later, you can read the default printer as: > Printer.DeviceName > > You can set the default printer to use in Access as: > Set Printer = Printers(1) > substituting the correct number ...

Problem changing default printer
I have to add one or more printers to to the profile of a user logged onto a remote computer. I've done this by updating the HKCU registry settings. This part works fine. I also have installed a utility on the remote computer that the user will execute to change the default printer to one of the newly installed printers. This is where I encounter problems. When the use executes the utility, it will NOT change the default printer. But if the user restarts the computer and executes the utility, the default printer will be successfully changed. So, my question is why the compu...

Web resources about - After the default printer has been changed by code in Access 2003, the application still directs a report to the former default printer. - comp.databases.ms-access

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Google now accepting applications for open source Summer of Code 2016
... of selection. Our Student Manual provides lots of helpful advice to get you started on choosing an organization and crafting a great application". ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 33% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Continue to Drop in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 3.3 percent from one week ...

PDF: Application essays by CPD superintendent finalists
C2E2, meet Kristin Cavallari and 20+ other things to do this weekend Breaking News News Local news Breaking News PDF: Application essays by CPD ...

Mortgage applications eke out gain
A growing divide in the mortgage market has emerged between refinance applications and those needed to purchase a home.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...

Want To Fly A Passenger Jet? JetBlue Is Now Taking Applications From Novice Pilots
Tired of the daily grind, and yearning to spend your work hours among the clouds, using a public address system to tell people to sit back, relax, ...