Autopopulating fields in a form, MS Access 2000

I have a table of about 6000 clients which have unique client numbers.
I am creating a data entry form to log contacts with the clients. I
want the client information (Name, Sales Rep, phone number, etc) to
autopopulate fields on the form when the client number is entered. I
have seen this done on another database I have access to, but have
been unseccessfull in recreating it. Can anyone point me in the right
direction?

you want to use Dlookup in an event procedure that runs after you update the
client number

"lvroye" <rpellington@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have a table of about 6000 clients which have unique client numbers.
> I am creating a data entry form to log contacts with the clients. I
> want the client information (Name, Sales Rep, phone number, etc) to
> autopopulate fields on the form when the client number is entered. I
> have seen this done on another database I have access to, but have
> been unseccessfull in recreating it. Can anyone point me in the right
> direction?

Hi Ivroye

I would not be keen to do a dlookup after the even. For a start, you
only get 1 value back at a time, which may make for slow processing
when you have to get a lot of data back.

Try something like this

Client Number <after update>

dim db as dao.database
set db = currentdb()
dim rst as dao.recordset

set rst = db.openrecordset("select * from tblClientInfo where
clientnum = " & cstr(me!tboClientNum, dbopensnapshot)

if rst.recordcount > 0 then
   me!tboclientname = rst!clientfirstname & " " & rst!clientfamilyname
   me!tboaddress= rst!clientstreet & " " & rst!clientcity
   me!tbophone= rst!clientareacode & " " & rst!clientmainphone

endif

"lvroye" <rpellington@cox.net> schreef in bericht =
>I have a table of about 6000 clients which have unique client numbers.
> I am creating a data entry form to log contacts with the clients. I
> want the client information (Name, Sales Rep, phone number, etc) to
> autopopulate fields on the form when the client number is entered. I
> have seen this done on another database I have access to, but have
> been unseccessfull in recreating it. Can anyone point me in the right
> direction?

Use a query that auto-magically poputlates your fiellds from the Client =
table.
Check 'AutoLookup-query' in Help

Arno R
"lvroye" <rpellington@cox.net> wrote

> I have a table of about 6000 clients which have unique client numbers.
> I am creating a data entry form to log contacts with the clients. I
> want the client information (Name, Sales Rep, phone number, etc) to
> autopopulate fields on the form when the client number is entered. I
> have seen this done on another database I have access to, but have
> been unseccessfull in recreating it. Can anyone point me in the right
> direction?

Consider using a Subform Control linked to the Client ID in the main Form's
Record Source (or if the response isn't satisfactory, with code to create a
RecordSource for the Form embedded in the Subform Control that just returns
the one record). Then it will automatically populate when you move to or
select a new Client.

You can design/format the forms so that it is not obvious that it is a
Subform, if you wish.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Access MVP

0
bouncer (4168)
4/16/2007 2:03:01 PM
I'm going to go a different route, and you tell me if this is what you
need.

Often, when a client requests this functionality, the only thing that
they really want to see is the data.  They do not want the data saved,
and they do not want the ability to modify it.  Rather, they want to
type in a customer number, and have the first/last names, phone
numbers, etc. populate to ensure that it is the correct customer.

If this is what you are looking for, then you could have a drop down
list box (combo box) that has something along the following for the
row source:

Select ClientID, CLientName, SalesRep, PhoneNumber, (etc.) from
Clients

Now, you can set the ColumnCount  in the properties to the correct
number of fields returned.  In the ColumnWidth property, set the
fields to be 0 for those that are not displayed.  Something like:  1";
0;0;0;0;0;0

Now, you can create a text box, and for it's ControlSource, set it to:

Forms!FormName!ComboBoxName.Column(1) (keep in mind it's 0 based, so
Column(1) is the second column)

Whenever you change the combo box, it will change the name as well.

6000 records shouldn't be too many, if you are pulling from a local
database.  If it's coming from SQL Server, then network traffic will
impact your combo box.

Chris Nebinger

On Apr 16, 8:03 am, "Larry Linson" <boun...@localhost.not> wrote:
> "lvroye" <rpelling...@cox.net> wrote
>
> > I have a table of about 6000 clients which have unique client numbers.
> > I am creating a data entry form to log contacts with the clients. I
> > want the client information (Name, Sales Rep, phone number, etc) to
> > autopopulate fields on the form when the client number is entered. I
> > have seen this done on another database I have access to, but have
> > been unseccessfull in recreating it. Can anyone point me in the right
> > direction?
>
> Consider using a Subform Control linked to the Client ID in the main Form's
> Record Source (or if the response isn't satisfactory, with code to create a
> RecordSource for the Form embedded in the Subform Control that just returns
> the one record). Then it will automatically populate when you move to or
> select a new Client.
>
> You can design/format the forms so that it is not obvious that it is a
> Subform, if you wish.
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Access MVP

Read-Only ODBC Access to MS Access 2000
I have created an ODBC File DSN data source in Windows XP. I have successfully used this DSN to link tables from a Sybase SQL Anywhere database to Access 2000. How can you make this ODBC connection read-only? P.S. I would like to make the ODBC connection itself read-only (if possible) rather than adding security to the MS Access DB. ...

Forms/Subforms in MS Access Database

Form Events MS Access 2000
I can't seem to figure out which of the forms event is called "AFTER" the form is displayed. I am trying to run some code after the form is displayed, not before. Any ideas? Thanks in advance... Open, Load, and Activate are the candidate events, unless you want an event that fires on each new Record displayed, which would be the Current event. Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP "Steven" <imfd69@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1103315567.731773.89470@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > I can't seem to figure out which of the forms event is called &quo...

MS Access Primary Field on form lookup
I am creating one of my first databases and definetly my first in Access 2007. This might not be possible but here it goes. I have several maintenace forms I need to create. Each of these forms has a related table with a primary key. One of these tables is a "Customer" table with the primary key being the "CustomerCode" On the form for data entry I would like to have the "CustomerCode" do the following 1) Have a lookup so I can easily go to what ever customer I choose for editing. 2) If the user enters a Customer Code that is not in the system then the form automatically knows this is a new record, clears the old data from the form and allows the user to enter the new record. 3) User enters a Customer Code that does exist then the record is retrieved for viewing and or editing. Am I asking to much from the system and is this even possible. Any help appreciated. Ray The Combo Box Wizard gives you options that do what I think you are asking for. In the Controls toolbar be sure you have the "magic wand" icon selected, then click on the Combo Box icon, move your cursor to approximately where you want it on the Form, and click, then follow the instructions in the dialog. Larry Linson Microsoft Office Access MVP "eighthman11" <eighthman11@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d5d903bc-1a06-4520-a0ab-641d0509086c@d8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com... >I am creating one of my first databases and defin...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Permissions Issue when linking to MS SQL 2000 DB from MS Access XP
Hello, We have a database in MS SQL 2000 and I'm trying to link to it from MS Access XP. I've created a user with full access to one specific table in the MS SQL database, but Access won't write to it. I can open this table in MS Query Analyzer and log-in as the user, and I can do update, delete, and select queries just fine... but when I link to the table from MS Access using the same MS SQL username/password, I can only read the data... no write or delete. Since I can update data fine in MS Query Analyzer, I assume permissions are setup properly. Anyone know why I can not ed...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

Another way to open an MS ACCESS 2000 database?
Hi! I've developed an ms access 2000 db. Then I'll protect the db with a password. But I want to open the access 2000 file from a Delphi 7 program, and try to have the program connect to the ms access 2000 db. 1. How can I have the OnOpen_event of the starting form in access check if the db is being tried open from doubleclicking the access 2000 file itself, and deny the user to open except from the Delphi program? 2. What is the connection string to the access 2000 file from the Delphi 7 program? The reason is that I'll write to the register from Delphi 7 and do ...

Need help locking fields. MS Access 2000
I am using MS Access 2000. I have a database that I use to keep weekly attendance records. In my table, each record consists of the fields: name, week 1, week 2, week 3, ect...(each week I add a new week field). I use a yes/no button to place a checkmark under each week to indicate whether a person was present (checked), or absent (no check). Here's my question: Can I lock the previous weekly fields to prevent accidentally checking or unchecking the box? For example can I lock weeks 1&2, but leave week 3 unlocked for editing? Thanks, moischmoe moischmoe wrote: > I am using MS Ac...

MS Access 2000 corrupt's databases
Hello. We have about 20 users in our Access databases. Sometime databases corrupts and are not available. I have to correct them. It is not nice, because you have to ask every user to close database, because other wise correcting is not possible. We have 100 Mt Cat 5 ethernet and some of the users use database via Citrix servers. Why databases corrupts and is there anything I can do to this problem? Hannu There are some things that can be done to minimize the problem. First, make sure the have the most current updates and service packs for Office, MDAC, Jet, and your operating systems. Th...

Web resources about - Autopopulating fields in a form, MS Access 2000 - comp.databases.ms-access

HTML5无障碍支持解决方案
工作正在进行中:实例解决方案 返回 表的图例 & 说明: “不支持" - 意味着如果提供有建设性意义的变通方案仍不能被浏览器支持。 “部分支持” - 意味着建设性意义的变通方案在浏览器中提供一些无障碍支持。 “没实现” - 意味着新特性在浏览器中仍然没有实现。 “支持” - means ...

Here's the best calendar app for the iPhone
... all sorts of secret features that I probably haven't fully taken advantage of yet. Here is the case against Sunrise: It doesn't do the autopopulating ...

About Buycott
Buycott helps you to organize your everyday consumer spending so that it reflects your principles.

The Safest Man To Have Sex With In America
... this database. Once users locate their local healthcare provider, Hula helps them get electronic records of their test results by autopopulating ...

Internet ID: Are we getting close to one?
I am getting very encouraged that the big kids (IBM, Microsoft, et al) are closing in on an Internet-centric identification scheme that will ...

Why EMR companies don’t care about usability
Why is usability neglected? The first reason is the way EMR purchases are incentivized.

How To Create A Group Pinterest Board (and why you need to!)
Wondering how to create a group Pinterest board? Your step-by-step directions are here!

Conversation with @hamburger, @helena and @JoshConstine
The Social Media Story storified by Ellis Hamburger

Performances - Campus Health Services
Campus Health Services Search this site: Student Affairs Home Services Acute Care and After Hours Clinic Allergy Services Counseling and Wellness ...