Back end database lock-up

Excuse my noobness.  I am managing an access database that is shared
by 4 users.  Management does not want to use any technologies outside
of access for this application (no SQL Server, etc).  I have split the
database into front end and back end databases and put the front end
on each of the users' computers.  All users can open the front end
simultaneously, but once somebody updates data in the form, the back
end locks up.

What I expect to happen:
- I assume that access should use optimistic locking (?) that would
only lock the records that are being updated, but it locks the entire
database.

what I've tried:
- i checked and double checked that the query and form are set to no-
locks
- I tried taking out all calculated values (string manipulations) in
the query
- I'm not the only one working on this, so there have been quite a few
other things looked at to no avail.

I'm stumped.  Thanks for any help.
0
zmickle (7)
11/13/2008 4:05:33 AM
comp.databases.ms-access 42534 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Suggestions:

1. Is this on a wired (CAT5) network?
No unstable connections (such as notebooks using WiFi)?

2. You say that users each have a different front end MDB on their own
computers, but then you say they open the front end (singular)
simultaneously. Is each one opening a separate front end MDB file that's on
their own C: drive? (That's best.)

3. Check the open mode and locking strategy of *each* front end.
In A2007, that's Office Button | Access Options | Advanced.
In earlier versions it's Tools | Options | Advanced.
You should see:
- Default Open mode:          Shared
- Default Record Locking:    No Locks

4. Close all front ends. Make sure the LDB file in the back-end folder is
gone. Then try again. (In practice, it's the first user in who sets the
actual locking mode.)

"zmickle@gmail.com" <samlambson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Excuse my noobness.  I am managing an access database that is shared
> by 4 users.  Management does not want to use any technologies outside
> of access for this application (no SQL Server, etc).  I have split the
> database into front end and back end databases and put the front end
> on each of the users' computers.  All users can open the front end
> simultaneously, but once somebody updates data in the form, the back
> end locks up.
>
> What I expect to happen:
> - I assume that access should use optimistic locking (?) that would
> only lock the records that are being updated, but it locks the entire
> database.
>
> what I've tried:
> - i checked and double checked that the query and form are set to no-
> locks
> - I tried taking out all calculated values (string manipulations) in
> the query
> - I'm not the only one working on this, so there have been quite a few
> other things looked at to no avail.
>
> I'm stumped.  Thanks for any help.

0
AllenBrowne (3681)
11/13/2008 10:42:48 AM
On Nov 13, 3:42=A0am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
> Suggestions:
>
> 1. Is this on a wired (CAT5) network?
> No unstable connections (such as notebooks using WiFi)?
>
> 2. You say that users each have a different front end MDB on their own
> computers, but then you say they open the front end (singular)
> simultaneously. Is each one opening a separate front end MDB file that's =
on
> their own C: drive? (That's best.)
>
> 3. Check the open mode and locking strategy of *each* front end.
> In A2007, that's Office Button | Access Options | Advanced.
> In earlier versions it's Tools | Options | Advanced.
> You should see:
> - Default Open mode: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Shared
> - Default Record Locking: =A0 =A0No Locks
>
> 4. Close all front ends. Make sure the LDB file in the back-end folder is
> gone. Then try again. (In practice, it's the first user in who sets the
> actual locking mode.)
>
> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. =A0Perth, Western Australia
> Tips for Access users -http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>
> "zmic...@gmail.com" <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Excuse my noobness. =A0I am managing an access database that is shared
> > by 4 users. =A0Management does not want to use any technologies outside
> > of access for this application (no SQL Server, etc). =A0I have split th=
> > database into front end and back end databases and put the front end
> > on each of the users' computers. =A0All users can open the front end
> > simultaneously, but once somebody updates data in the form, the back
> > end locks up.
>
> > What I expect to happen:
> > - I assume that access should use optimistic locking (?) that would
> > only lock the records that are being updated, but it locks the entire
> > database.
>
> > what I've tried:
> > - i checked and double checked that the query and form are set to no-
> > locks
> > - I tried taking out all calculated values (string manipulations) in
> > the query
> > - I'm not the only one working on this, so there have been quite a few
> > other things looked at to no avail.
>
> > I'm stumped. =A0Thanks for any help.

Allen,

Thanks so much for your response

1. Yes every computer has a  wired.

2. Each user has their own ACCDB front end on their own C: drive.

3. Each front end is configured as you suggested in Access Options (I
will double check today)

4. The locking file is not created until a user updates the data via
the form.  Any computer that has that same form already open can make
changes as well.  After an update is made, any new instance of the
form is "not updatable." When the updating users close the form, the
locking file goes away.

Something about updating the query through the form locks the back end
database, then the back end is locked until the form is completely
closed.

I think the problem is occurring at the point that someone updates.

Thanks,

Sam
0
zmickle (7)
11/13/2008 8:15:50 PM
zmickle@gmail.com wrote:

> Excuse my noobness.  I am managing an access database that is shared
> by 4 users.  Management does not want to use any technologies outside
> of access for this application (no SQL Server, etc).  I have split the
> database into front end and back end databases and put the front end
> on each of the users' computers.  All users can open the front end
> simultaneously, but once somebody updates data in the form, the back
> end locks up.
>
> What I expect to happen:
> - I assume that access should use optimistic locking (?) that would
> only lock the records that are being updated, but it locks the entire
> database.
>
> what I've tried:
> - i checked and double checked that the query and form are set to no-
> locks
> - I tried taking out all calculated values (string manipulations) in
> the query
> - I'm not the only one working on this, so there have been quite a few
> other things looked at to no avail.
>
> I'm stumped.  Thanks for any help.

What version of Access are you using?

Is the backend on a network server?

Keith Wilby mentioned rights.  I think in Novell for rights; read,
write, erase (delete), modify, create.  You said you had read/write.
Are there other rights you can grant?

Are you up to date on program service packs on all computers?
0
oil (4048)
11/13/2008 11:37:57 PM
Is this a bound form? Or are you programmaticlly executing some updates in
an action query or some code?

A bound form should not behave as you describe, but code might lock a whole
table.

On Nov 13, 3:42 am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > I'm stumped. Thanks for any help.

Allen,

Thanks so much for your response

1. Yes every computer has a  wired.

2. Each user has their own ACCDB front end on their own C: drive.

3. Each front end is configured as you suggested in Access Options (I
will double check today)

4. The locking file is not created until a user updates the data via
the form.  Any computer that has that same form already open can make
changes as well.  After an update is made, any new instance of the
form is "not updatable." When the updating users close the form, the
locking file goes away.

Something about updating the query through the form locks the back end
database, then the back end is locked until the form is completely
closed.

I think the problem is occurring at the point that someone updates.

11/13/2008 11:48:38 PM
On Nov 13, 4:48 pm, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > I'm stumped. Thanks for any help.
>
> Allen,
>
> Thanks so much for your response
>
> 1. Yes every computer has a  wired.
>
> 2. Each user has their own ACCDB front end on their own C: drive.
>
> 3. Each front end is configured as you suggested in Access Options (I
> will double check today)
>
> 4. The locking file is not created until a user updates the data via
> the form.  Any computer that has that same form already open can make
> changes as well.  After an update is made, any new instance of the
> form is "not updatable." When the updating users close the form, the
> locking file goes away.
>
> Something about updating the query through the form locks the back end
> database, then the back end is locked until the form is completely
> closed.
>
> I think the problem is occurring at the point that someone updates.

Thanks for the responses.  I may request a SQL Server instance.  With
the right argument I may be able to convince my higher-ups to allow
it.  But here are the answers to the questions asked in your

@Salad:
What version of Access are you using? Access 2007 (enterprise I think)

Is the backend on a network server? Yes it is on a shared drive that
is mapped to each workstation.  The linked tables are referencing the
backend via drive name (i.e. Q:...) rather than the network name.

Keith Wilby mentioned rights.  I think in Novell for rights; read,
write, erase (delete), modify, create.  You said you had read/write.
Are there other rights you can grant?  They only have read/write, no
delete, modify, or create.  I do not have rights to change these, but
might be able to request it if I find out that it is a must-have.

Are you up to date on program service packs on all computers?
yes. I can check, but I believe so.

@Allen

By bound form do you mean the form is bound to a query, then yes.  In
the data source property, there is a query.  The query simply merges
two tables on a foreign key.  values from the query are available in
the form and when you put your cursor in the textbox, you can update
the data.  That is when the backend locks up.

They want this thing working by tomorrow, so if it's still not working
by end of day, I'll request a SQL Server DB.

Thanks for the help.

Sam
0
zmickle (7)
If your query is a 'select' query and it has multiple tables in it and
it's bound to the form you might try changing the Recordset Type of
that query.
open the query to design view, open the properities box, single-click
in a blank spot in the tables area of the query(I forget what that
area is called), scan down the properties and find 'recordset type'
change it from 'dynaset' to 'inconsistent update', save it. load the
form and try updating again.

it may help with your issue.
bobh.

On Nov 13, 10:35=A0pm, "zmic...@gmail.com" <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> write, erase (delete), modify, create. =A0You said you had read/write.
> Are there other rights you can grant? =A0They only have read/write, no
> delete, modify, or create. =A0I do not have rights to change these, but
> might be able to request it if I find out that it is a must-have.
>
> Are you up to date on program service packs on all computers?
> yes. I can check, but I believe so.
>
> @Allen
>
> By bound form do you mean the form is bound to a query, then yes. =A0In
> the data source property, there is a query. =A0The query simply merges
> two tables on a foreign key. =A0values from the query are available in
> the form and when you put your cursor in the textbox, you can update
> the data. =A0That is when the backend locks up.
>
> They want this thing working by tomorrow, so if it's still not working
> by end of day, I'll request a SQL Server DB.

vulcaned (287)
11/14/2008 7:26:43 PM
On Nov 14, 12:26=A0pm, bobh <vulca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > write, erase (delete), modify, create. =A0You said you had read/write.
> > Are there other rights you can grant? =A0They only have read/write, no
> > delete, modify, or create. =A0I do not have rights to change these, but
> > might be able to request it if I find out that it is a must-have.
>
> > Are you up to date on program service packs on all computers?
> > yes. I can check, but I believe so.
>
> > @Allen
>
> > By bound form do you mean the form is bound to a query, then yes. =A0In
> > the data source property, there is a query. =A0The query simply merges
> > two tables on a foreign key. =A0values from the query are available in
> > the form and when you put your cursor in the textbox, you can update
> > the data. =A0That is when the backend locks up.
>
> > They want this thing working by tomorrow, so if it's still not working
> > by end of day, I'll request a SQL Server DB.

bobh,

I tried it, but to no avail.  It still locks up.  In fact, if I open
just the query on one computer, it will be locked for any new instance
of the datasheet.  I cannot figure this on out.
0
samlambson (14)
11/14/2008 8:20:39 PM
1. for the join in the query you are using as the form's recordsource
a one-to-one join and a one-to-many join??

2. have you tried updating each table singularly? might help with
determining if a table is locking up?

bobh.

On Nov 14, 3:20=A0pm, Sam Lambson <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 12:26=A0pm, bobh <vulca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > If your query is a 'select' query and it has multiple tables in it and
> > it's bound to the form you might try changing the Recordset Type of
> > that query.
> > open the query to design view, open the properities box, single-click
> > in a blank spot in the tables area of the query(I forget what that
> > area is called), scan down the properties and find 'recordset type'
> > change it from 'dynaset' to 'inconsistent update', save it. load the
> > form and try updating again.
>
> > it may help with your issue.
> > bobh.
>
> > On Nov 13, 10:35=A0pm, "zmic...@gmail.com" <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote=
:

> > > On Nov 13, 4:48 pm, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote=
:

> > > Thanks for the responses. =A0I may request a SQL Server instance. =A0=
With
> > > the right argument I may be able to convince my higher-ups to allow
> > > it. =A0But here are the answers to the questions asked in your
>
> > > @Salad:
> > > What version of Access are you using? Access 2007 (enterprise I think=
)

> > > Is the backend on a network server? Yes it is on a shared drive that
> > > is mapped to each workstation. =A0The linked tables are referencing t=
he
> > > backend via drive name (i.e. Q:...) rather than the network name.
>
> > > Keith Wilby mentioned rights. =A0I think in Novell for rights; read,
> > > write, erase (delete), modify, create. =A0You said you had read/write=
..
> > > Are there other rights you can grant? =A0They only have read/write, n=
> > > delete, modify, or create. =A0I do not have rights to change these, b=
ut
> > > might be able to request it if I find out that it is a must-have.
>
> > > Are you up to date on program service packs on all computers?
> > > yes. I can check, but I believe so.
>
> > > @Allen
>
> > > By bound form do you mean the form is bound to a query, then yes. =A0=
In
> > > the data source property, there is a query. =A0The query simply merge=
> > > two tables on a foreign key. =A0values from the query are available i=
> > > the form and when you put your cursor in the textbox, you can update
> > > the data. =A0That is when the backend locks up.
>
> > > They want this thing working by tomorrow, so if it's still not workin=
> > > by end of day, I'll request a SQL Server DB.
>
> > > Thanks for the help.
>
> > > Sam- Hide quoted text -

> bobh,
>
> I tried it, but to no avail. =A0It still locks up. =A0In fact, if I open
> just the query on one computer, it will be locked for any new instance
> of the datasheet. =A0I cannot figure this on out.- Hide quoted text -

vulcaned (287)
11/14/2008 8:37:48 PM
Yes.  When I open any database table it is not updatable, not just
those being queried. I The form has a one to one relationship with the
query, the query is pulling from two linked tables.

0
samlambson (14)
11/14/2008 8:56:53 PM
I'm a bit confused but, I work in XP and I don't have 2007

1. open both the front-end and the back-end seperately, click File-
Database properties, click on the 'general' tab and check the
'attributes to be sure 'read-only' is not checked off.

2. how are the two tables joined in the query itself ?? joined as a
line or a line with an arrow at one end?

3. have you tried doing a refresh links or even delete linked tables
and linking them back in again? In 2007 can you apply anything
criteria/parameters when linking to tables?

bobh.

On Nov 14, 3:56=A0pm, Sam Lambson <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. =A0When I open any database table it is not updatable, not just
> those being queried. I The form has a one to one relationship with the
> query, the query is pulling from two linked tables.

0
vulcaned (287)
11/14/2008 9:22:08 PM
Sam Lambson wrote:

> Yes.  When I open any database table it is not updatable, not just
> those being queried. I The form has a one to one relationship with the
> query, the query is pulling from two linked tables.

I'd probably do this.  Create a new backend database called JunkBE.  I'd
create a table called Junk with a couple of fields.  Save and exit

I'd then create a new fe database called JunkFE.  I'd then link to table
Junk in JunkBE.  I'd then use the form builder wizard and build a form
called Junk bound to table Junk or to a query based on table Junk.

I'd then give the FE to a couple of people and see if they can
add/delete/modify records in form Junk simultaneously.

Setting up Junk should take a few minutes to do, it'll probably take
more time getting it distributed.  At least you'd see if Access is
multi-user in your environment.

It sounds like your existing database is quite minimal...only 1 form.
If you can get JunkFE/BE to work, maybe rewrite your existing app.  At
least build the form, copy/paste the code module for the form, and see
if that works.

If your version is not multi-user you could ask for a new version of
Access from your vendor and specify you want the network, multi-user
version and not the single stand-alone version you purchased.

Just kidding :)

0
oil (4048)
11/14/2008 9:39:26 PM
On Nov 14, 2:22=A0pm, bobh <vulca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm a bit confused but, I work in XP and I don't have 2007
>
> 1. open both the front-end and the back-end seperately, click File-
> Database properties, click on the 'general' tab and check the
> 'attributes to be sure 'read-only' is not checked off.
>
> 2. how are the two tables joined in the query itself ?? joined as a
> line or a line with an arrow at one end?
>
> 3. have you tried doing a refresh links or even delete linked tables
> and linking them back in again? In 2007 can you apply anything
> criteria/parameters when linking to tables?
>
> bobh.
>
> On Nov 14, 3:56=A0pm, Sam Lambson <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes. =A0When I open any database table it is not updatable, not just
> > those being queried. I The form has a one to one relationship with the
> > query, the query is pulling from two linked tables.

1. The files are not read only when I initially open them.  If I try
to open the back end database after someone has updated a field and
before they close the form, the database is read-only.

2. The two tables in design view are connected by a line, not an
arrow.  They are linked on a common ID.

3. I have tried refreshing the linked tables, but it doesn't change
the behavior.  There appear to be no options other than changing the
location of the source database.

Thanks for your help.

0
samlambson (14)
11/14/2008 9:42:10 PM
On Nov 14, 3:42=A0pm, Sam Lambson <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2:22=A0pm, bobh <vulca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I'm a bit confused but, I work in XP and I don't have 2007
>
> > 1. open both the front-end and the back-end seperately, click File-
> > Database properties, click on the 'general' tab and check the
> > 'attributes to be sure 'read-only' is not checked off.
>
> > 2. how are the two tables joined in the query itself ?? joined as a
> > line or a line with an arrow at one end?
>
> > 3. have you tried doing a refresh links or even delete linked tables
> > and linking them back in again? In 2007 can you apply anything
> > criteria/parameters when linking to tables?
>
> > bobh.
>
> > On Nov 14, 3:56=A0pm, Sam Lambson <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Yes. =A0When I open any database table it is not updatable, not just
> > > those being queried. I The form has a one to one relationship with th=
> > > query, the query is pulling from two linked tables.
>
> 1. The files are not read only when I initially open them. =A0If I try
> to open the back end database after someone has updated a field and
> before they close the form, the database is read-only.
>
> 2. The two tables in design view are connected by a line, not an
> arrow. =A0They are linked on a common ID.
>
> 3. I have tried refreshing the linked tables, but it doesn't change
> the behavior. =A0There appear to be no options other than changing the
> location of the source database.
>
> Thanks for your help.

I can't help but think this is a permissions issue.  You stated
earlier that your users "only have read/write, no
delete, modify, or create" and I am assuming this pertains to the
folder and not the database itself.  Your users absolutely must have
read, write, create, and delete rights to the _folder_ where the back
end database is located.  If they need to change data then they must
have read and write access to the database file itself.  I'd make sure
your server admins haven't done something strange.  See if they'll
grant full control to to your users on the folder where your database
is on a trial basis to see if that fixes the problem.

Also, along the lines of what Salad suggested with the 'junk'
database...try splitting the sample Northwind database into front and
back end and put the back end on the server, preferably in the same
folder as the back end of your other database.  See if your users can
get Northwind to manifest (or not manifest) the problem you described
by using the front end you created.

Also...are you using the new 'multivalue' fields in any of your
tables?

Bruce

> I can't help but think this is a permissions issue. =A0You stated
> earlier that your users "only have read/write, no
> delete, modify, or create" and I am assuming this pertains to the
> folder and not the database itself. =A0Your users absolutely must have
> read, write, create, and delete rights to the _folder_ where the back
> end database is located. =A0If they need to change data then they must
> have read and write access to the database file itself. =A0I'd make sure
> your server admins haven't done something strange. =A0See if they'll
> grant full control to to your users on the folder where your database
> is on a trial basis to see if that fixes the problem.
>
> Also, along the lines of what Salad suggested with the 'junk'
> database...try splitting the sample Northwind database into front and
> back end and put the back end on the server, preferably in the same
> folder as the back end of your other database. =A0See if your users can
> get Northwind to manifest (or not manifest) the problem you described
> by using the front end you created.
>
> Also...are you using the new 'multivalue' fields in any of your
> tables?
>
> Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

I have checked and double checked.  All users accessing the database
have full control on the folder that the database is in.  I granted
full control to the file itself as well.  I don't think it's a
permissions issue.  In fact, after troubleshooting some more I don't
think it is an issue with my form or query, but with the tables
themselves.

I did the following: On one computer I open the front end and open a
linked table.  It opened in datasheet view and was editable.  When I
open the front end on another computer and try to open ANY linked
table, query, or form, it is not editable.  The whole database is
locked down, not just the tables concerned.

Would SQL Server act differently or is my problem in my front end.  I
can't seem to figure this one out since everyone's Access Options are
set to share and have no locks, each query and form is set to have no
locks.

There is one thing I haven't tried and that is to have "row level
locking" set in the table properties.  I don't know if that would free
things up.  I'm stumped.

Sam
0
samlambson (14)
11/15/2008 12:30:05 AM
On Nov 14, 4:35=A0pm, BruceB <deluxeinformat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 3:42=A0pm, Sam Lambson <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 14, 2:22=A0pm, bobh <vulca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm a bit confused but, I work in XP and I don't have 2007
>
> > > 1. open both the front-end and the back-end seperately, click File-
> > > Database properties, click on the 'general' tab and check the
> > > 'attributes to be sure 'read-only' is not checked off.
>
> > > 2. how are the two tables joined in the query itself ?? joined as a
> > > line or a line with an arrow at one end?
>
> > > 3. have you tried doing a refresh links or even delete linked tables
> > > and linking them back in again? In 2007 can you apply anything
> > > criteria/parameters when linking to tables?
>
> > > bobh.

> > 1. The files are not read only when I initially open them. =A0If I try
> > to open the back end database after someone has updated a field and
> > before they close the form, the database is read-only.
>
> > 2. The two tables in design view are connected by a line, not an
> > arrow. =A0They are linked on a common ID.
>
> > 3. I have tried refreshing the linked tables, but it doesn't change
> > the behavior. =A0There appear to be no options other than changing the
> > location of the source database.
>
> > Thanks for your help.
>
> I can't help but think this is a permissions issue. =A0You stated
> earlier that your users "only have read/write, no
> delete, modify, or create" and I am assuming this pertains to the
> folder and not the database itself. =A0Your users absolutely must have
> read, write, create, and delete rights to the _folder_ where the back
> end database is located. =A0If they need to change data then they must
> have read and write access to the database file itself. =A0I'd make sure
> your server admins haven't done something strange. =A0See if they'll
> grant full control to to your users on the folder where your database
> is on a trial basis to see if that fixes the problem.
>
> Also, along the lines of what Salad suggested with the 'junk'
> database...try splitting the sample Northwind database into front and
> back end and put the back end on the server, preferably in the same
> folder as the back end of your other database. =A0See if your users can
> get Northwind to manifest (or not manifest) the problem you described
> by using the front end you created.
>
> Also...are you using the new 'multivalue' fields in any of your
> tables?
>
> Bruce

And I'll try to split the northwind database.  That is a good idea.

Thanks Bruce et al.
0
samlambson (14)
11/15/2008 12:30:46 AM
Sam Lambson <samlambson@gmail.com> wrote in
m:

> I did the following: On one computer I open the front end and open
> a linked table.  It opened in datasheet view and was editable.
> When I open the front end on another computer and try to open ANY
> linked table, query, or form, it is not editable.  The whole
> database is locked down, not just the tables concerned.

Have you gotten everyone out and deleted the LDB file? Have you set
the locking in all your application's forms to be optimistic (i.e.,
No Locks)?

> Would SQL Server act differently or is my problem in my front end.
>  I can't seem to figure this one out since everyone's Access
> Options are set to share and have no locks, each query and form is
> set to have no locks.

Fix the problem with your Access setups, rather than buying all the
problems that come with upsizing to SQL Server.

> There is one thing I haven't tried and that is to have "row level
> locking" set in the table properties.  I don't know if that would
> free things up.  I'm stumped.

No, this isn't going to help.

In another post you mention something about splitting the northwind
database. Is your app split? If not, that's likely the source of all
your problems. You should split the app and each user should have an
individual front end. If you don't do that, then nobody here is
going to be much interested in offering any further advice, since
you'll be going against the most fundamental of best practices in
Access application development.

XXXusenet (2387)

Reading to end of data file
Hi, I have one data file of 'n'rows and 1 column stored in array ('timet'). I can read and display this data. I wanted to know how many rows are there in this array without displaying. I use : timet=timenc('chinguT17.nc', 'time'); It is netCDF file reading variable 'time' , file name 'chinguT17'. Array is 'timet'. Please help. gourihar@env.leeds.ac.uk ...

Novell giving back to OSS
'Giving back to OSS' - Novell Alastair Otter May 28 2004 - Novell this week said its involvement in the open source community is intended to foster greater development in the sector. Ed Anderson, Novell's vice president for enterprise, said during the opening address ofthe three day long Brainshare conference that the company is trying to "give back to the open source community more than we have taken from it." [..] "Open source also recognises that one size does not fit all and offers us the opportunity to make the software fit our and your needs." ... &qu...

My Wallstreet Locks Up
Hi all, I have an old 14.1" Wallstreet 233 MHz running MacOS 8.6. (I know there are newer versions of MacOS) The problem is whenever I run Internet Explorer version 5.1.7, the program freezes up after a couple of minutes. Sometimes I can gracefully terminate from it, but other times it takes the whole machine down. Netscape Navigator ver 4.7 works perfectly. I would like to sell this computer, but I don�t want to unless I can guarantee it works flawlessly. Any help would be appreciated. Brian In <BB3611E9.4661%bkmoore@rapid.ocn.ne.jp> Brian Moore wrote: >...

I am Back!
After a much needed and lengthy rest, I have decided to return. So trolls, prepare to clear on out of Megakat City! On Friday, February 15, 2013 12:09:09 AM UTC-5, Chance Furlong wrote: > After a much needed and lengthy rest, I have decided to return. So > > trolls, prepare to clear on out of Megakat City! Early release. On 2/15/13 12:14 AM, MuahMan wrote: > On Friday, February 15, 2013 12:09:09 AM UTC-5, Chance Furlong wrote: >> After a much needed and lengthy rest, I have decided to return. So >> trolls, prepare to clear on out of Megakat City! >...

SQLServer database setup
Hi All, I'm wanting to put some Access tables on SQLServer, I was given a Server to use which has SQL Enterprise Manager v8 installed. Since I know nothing about SQLServer db's I've been playing with the software and created a database shell and even manager to import a table from my backend Access db. But, I really do not know what I'm doing especialy when it come to adding user and what db rights to assign. I'm also unclear as to how to setup a SQLServer db/tables that will be solely accessed thru an ODBC connection from Access. IAre there any books, trainin...

Backing store issue
I'm running IDL 6.2 on a SUN Blade 2000 running Solaris 8.0 I'm having a weird backing store problem. I have an application in which I sometimes display very large images (eg 23123 x 3193 pixels). What I do is create a scrolled draw widget of the same size as the image and tv the image into that window. Then, I get to scroll around the image very rapidly without having to issue any commands to redraw the parts that become visible. It seems this should work fine as long as the video card has enough memory. However, the behavoir I am seeing seems as though IDL thinks the vide...

A look back.
I was looking for some references as to when precisely the Radius Full Page Display was introduced and I found this: <http://www.archive.org/details/DesktopP1986> "The Computer Chronicles", the guest host of which was none other than Gary Kildall. Other guests on this show from October 16, 1986 included Michael Boich, President of Radius Inc. (there to show off their new Full Page Display) and Paul Brainerd of Aldus Corporation. They have a collection of the shows at archive.org, so that's just got to be worth a look! -- Alan Baker Vancouver, British Columbia &qu...

The party begins after partx begins and ends.
True ...

OS not good for database
Hi all, is very funny see Larry Allison commenting on MySQL I'd like to see he commenting on Postgres I think he couldn't say: "It's not used in transaction theory. It's mainly used for searching." Regards Gaetano Mendola Hi Can you provide a link to the interview? Simon On Sunday 10 October 2004 10:56, Gaetano Mendola wrote: > Hi all, > is very funny see Larry Allison commenting on MySQL > I'd like to see he commenting on Postgres I think he > couldn't say: "It's not used in transaction theory. It's >...

Appeals Court Backs Bush on Wiretaps
By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer A federal appeals court sided with the Bush administration Friday on an electronic surveillance issue, making it easier to tap into Internet phone calls and broadband transmissions. The court ruled 2-1 in favor of the Federal Communications Commission, which says equipment using the new technologies must be able to accommodate police wiretaps under the 1994 Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, known as CALEA. Judge David Sentelle called the agency's reading of the law a reasonable interpretation. In dissent, Judge Harry Edw...

pgsql-server/src backend/catalog/index.c backe ...
CVSROOT: /cvsroot Module name: pgsql-server Changes by: petere@svr1.postgresql.org 03/09/28 21:05:25 Modified files: src/backend/catalog: index.c pg_proc.c src/backend/commands: dbcommands.c functioncmds.c indexcmds.c tablecmds.c typecmds.c user.c vacuum.c src/backend/parser: parse_coerce.c parse_func.c src/backend/port: sysv_shmem.c src/backend/rewrite: rewriteDefine.c src/backend/storage/freespace: freespace.c src/backend/storage/page: bufpage.c src/backend/tcop: postgres.c src/backend/utils/adt: formatting.c geo_ops.c mac.c nabstime.c ...

back to the future! or the future is back?
synchronet BBS is running on ps2moussa telnet, or http use it with caution :-) Moussa -- The information contained in this post is copyright of the poster, and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com Hi Moussa ! > synchronet BBS is running on ps2moussa telnet, or http > use it with caution :-) Internet these days is largely business and entertainment. If it comes to exchange knowledge and informations nothing beats a newsgroup or a real BBS. And the more basic - the better. Keeping off the dancing balonies and HTML crap. Some...

Some advice on database use/choice
Dear All, Could anyone advise me on a good choice of database? I have some data to manage on my home computer (a Mac laptop) which I want to extract via SQL and then process in Matlab. So, I'm basically looking for an open-source database which is easy to connect to via Matlab--ideally without using Matlab's database toolbox (since I don't have it). Could OpenOffice's database facility perhaps be used? Thanks, James. ...

Back Projection Kernel
Hi Does anyone know how to create the back projection kernel for the IP algorithm, I am referring to the Irani Peleg method for Super Resolution. ...

At delema to end all
I've been searching my stuff for a group of pics I did and they were done in psp 8-9, but both of those proggies won't even start anymore, and I'm stuck with old reliable Seven, which can't even see the pspimage in it's browser, but it can see and work on psd files. I'm looking for a method that will allow me to keep layers, and get those files open for work. I found out that ACDsee can see the pspimages but only in the way they were last saved, not the layers. I tried to save one in psd and it didn't happen, so I saved one in png and it did, but of course, only one...

US-PA: Pittsburgh-JSP Front End Developer #2
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: JSP Front End Developer Job Location: PA: Pittsburgh Pay Rate: Open Job Length: full time Start Date: 2009-02-26 Company Name: Allegis Group Contact: Recruiter Phone: email only please Fax: email only ...

Chinese database / Filemaker Pro 4.0
I'm currently designing a small database of chinese in big5 characters using Filemaker Pro 4.0 on a new mac running OS X ... I would like to export some of the tables/files to an external file. The database starts up fine under the Classic environment. After setting the Export type and selecting the fields I would like to include, the outfile is created successfully. When I look at the outfile in my terminal, it seems like some of the big5 characters have been exported to iso-8559-1 which looks very similar to big5 encoding ... Is this really the case? Because I'm using a Mac, how can...

How to read/convert Paradox 7 database
Hi, I need to convert Paradox 7 database to any format that user can consume (xls, mdb...). I think that I have a Paradox 7 database (files in folder: .db, .px, .x02, y02 if that is telling you a thing). Previously I managed to open Px 5 database with MSAccess but not this one. BTW Does anybody knows what kind of database has files in folder with extensions ..dat and .ndx. Don't have any experience with paradox so if I wrote something stupid... Thnx Is this is a "one time conversion" or will you be doing this regulary? Do you have Paradox installed? ...

PyBackend: A simple RDBMS backed object persistence framework
Hi! I am glad to announce the availability of an RDBMS backed object persistence framework in Python. It is in beta version, which means some hidden bugs may be there. It is available under GNU LGPL. So you can try it in your commercial applications too. Following are some of its features, straight ripped out from the project page: * It can store (as well as retrieve) attributes of objects in (from) a relational database supporting atomic transactions. * It allows you to map individual classes to corresponding databases. Hence an application can use multiple databases ...

how to replicate all databases to cluster using adminp
as per subject above anybody pls help.. N:( "adzir" <muadzir@yahoo.com> wrote: >as per subject above > >anybody pls help.. N:( Admin client - (flat) files view, selet all (then deselect those you don't want to replicate such as log.nsf) and then use the database -> Create replica tool. I've heard that it is safer replicating over to the cluster using adminp? "adzir" <muadzir@yahoo.com> wrote: >I've heard that it is safer replicating over to the cluster using >adminp? That method will use AdminP ...

Back To Back Network
Hi Simple question. I have a desktop and a laptop both with network cards, and want to connect these two machines without using a hub, with a direct cable. I have rewired a net cable to do this, and both computers recognise the other, however, I seem unable to share files accross the connection. All I want to do is transfer files, I dont care about internet and printer shareing Anyone know what Im doing wrong? Thanks Jon Dallimore PS, not sure when I can get on here again due to work etc. Could people please email me? Dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk thanks On 21 Apr 2004 15:30:39 -0...

basci question on new commands end environment
Hi, I'm using an environment downloaded somewhere to produce code-like text in a LaTeX document. It works fine. Here it is: \newenvironment{C} {\lstset{language=[ANSI]C++, basicstyle=\small\ttfamily, %numbers=left, showspaces=false, numberstyle=\tiny, stepnumber=2, tabsize=2, numbersep=5pt, numberfirstline = false, framexleftmargin=5mm, frame=shadowbox, breaklines = true} } {} and its use is: \begin{C} \begin{lstlisting} sometext \end{lstlisting} \end{C} I would like avoiding typing the two \begin commands and the two \end commands each time I need this environment ...

US-PA: Conshohocken-tc-Database Developer/Engineer
************************************************************** JobCircle.com - Careers, Content and Community for Technology professionals in the Northeastern United States! Jobcircle.com provides resume submission, classified searches, eLearning, hundreds of career development articles, tech news, and more to tens of thousands of Technology professionals in your area - visit us today at http://www.jobcircle.com! !!! Voted a TOP 50 Career Web Site in 2002 by CareerXRoads !!! ************************************************************** Job Title: tc-Database Developer/Engineer Job Lo...

Locking the Dock's contents?
Is it possible to lock the icons in the dock so I don't accidently delete any of them? So far, I've trashed 3 of them. I'm using OS X 10.4.1. TIA! -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" In article <rcb-C0FB2D.15064110072005@news-rdr-03.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Bob Batson <rcb@kc.rr.com> wrote: > Is it possible to lock the icons in the dock so I don't accidently > delete any of them? So far, I've trashed 3 of them. I'm using OS X > 10.4.1. TIA! Sounds like you need steadier hands. ...

I'm back (almost)
Some of my friends on comp.arch have noticed my absence for several months. Nothing serious, just lots of work. Mindless, mind-numbing, non-fun, done in almost the most inefficient way possible - but work that consumes lots of hours anyway. Also, my comp-arch.net wiki was taken out of service. I am pretty sure it was hacked, because it occurred a few days to a week after the Microprocessor Reports and Adobe websites had security breaches. I wasn't using the same password, but I was using a password algorithm, and if the MPR password was broken, some of my other password...