Back end database lock-up

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Excuse my noobness.  I am managing an access database that is shared
by 4 users.  Management does not want to use any technologies outside
of access for this application (no SQL Server, etc).  I have split the
database into front end and back end databases and put the front end
on each of the users' computers.  All users can open the front end
simultaneously, but once somebody updates data in the form, the back
end locks up.

What I expect to happen:
- I assume that access should use optimistic locking (?) that would
only lock the records that are being updated, but it locks the entire
database.

what I've tried:
- i checked and double checked that the query and form are set to no-
locks
- I tried taking out all calculated values (string manipulations) in
the query
- I'm not the only one working on this, so there have been quite a few
other things looked at to no avail.

I'm stumped.  Thanks for any help.
0
Reply zmickle (7) 11/13/2008 4:05:33 AM

See related articles to this posting

Suggestions:

1. Is this on a wired (CAT5) network?
No unstable connections (such as notebooks using WiFi)?

2. You say that users each have a different front end MDB on their own
computers, but then you say they open the front end (singular)
simultaneously. Is each one opening a separate front end MDB file that's on
their own C: drive? (That's best.)

3. Check the open mode and locking strategy of *each* front end.
In A2007, that's Office Button | Access Options | Advanced.
In earlier versions it's Tools | Options | Advanced.
You should see:
- Default Open mode:          Shared
- Default Record Locking:    No Locks

4. Close all front ends. Make sure the LDB file in the back-end folder is
gone. Then try again. (In practice, it's the first user in who sets the
actual locking mode.)

On Nov 13, 3:42=A0am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
> Suggestions:
>
> 1. Is this on a wired (CAT5) network?
> No unstable connections (such as notebooks using WiFi)?
>
> 2. You say that users each have a different front end MDB on their own
> computers, but then you say they open the front end (singular)
> simultaneously. Is each one opening a separate front end MDB file that's =
on
> their own C: drive? (That's best.)
>
> 3. Check the open mode and locking strategy of *each* front end.
> In A2007, that's Office Button | Access Options | Advanced.
> In earlier versions it's Tools | Options | Advanced.
> You should see:
> - Default Open mode: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Shared
> - Default Record Locking: =A0 =A0No Locks
>
> 4. Close all front ends. Make sure the LDB file in the back-end folder is
> gone. Then try again. (In practice, it's the first user in who sets the
> actual locking mode.)
>
> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. =A0Perth, Western Australia
> Tips for Access users -http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>
> "zmic...@gmail.com" <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Excuse my noobness. =A0I am managing an access database that is shared
> > by 4 users. =A0Management does not want to use any technologies outside
> > of access for this application (no SQL Server, etc). =A0I have split th=
> > database into front end and back end databases and put the front end
> > on each of the users' computers. =A0All users can open the front end
> > simultaneously, but once somebody updates data in the form, the back
> > end locks up.
>
> > What I expect to happen:
> > - I assume that access should use optimistic locking (?) that would
> > only lock the records that are being updated, but it locks the entire
> > database.
>
> > what I've tried:
> > - i checked and double checked that the query and form are set to no-
> > locks
> > - I tried taking out all calculated values (string manipulations) in
> > the query
> > - I'm not the only one working on this, so there have been quite a few
> > other things looked at to no avail.
>
> > I'm stumped. =A0Thanks for any help.

Allen,

Thanks so much for your response

1. Yes every computer has a  wired.

2. Each user has their own ACCDB front end on their own C: drive.

3. Each front end is configured as you suggested in Access Options (I
will double check today)

4. The locking file is not created until a user updates the data via
the form.  Any computer that has that same form already open can make
changes as well.  After an update is made, any new instance of the
form is "not updatable." When the updating users close the form, the
locking file goes away.

Something about updating the query through the form locks the back end
database, then the back end is locked until the form is completely
closed.

I think the problem is occurring at the point that someone updates.

Thanks,

Sam
0
Reply zmickle (7) 11/13/2008 8:15:50 PM

zmickle@gmail.com wrote:

> Excuse my noobness.  I am managing an access database that is shared
> by 4 users.  Management does not want to use any technologies outside
> of access for this application (no SQL Server, etc).  I have split the
> database into front end and back end databases and put the front end
> on each of the users' computers.  All users can open the front end
> simultaneously, but once somebody updates data in the form, the back
> end locks up.
>
> What I expect to happen:
> - I assume that access should use optimistic locking (?) that would
> only lock the records that are being updated, but it locks the entire
> database.
>
> what I've tried:
> - i checked and double checked that the query and form are set to no-
> locks
> - I tried taking out all calculated values (string manipulations) in
> the query
> - I'm not the only one working on this, so there have been quite a few
> other things looked at to no avail.
>
> I'm stumped.  Thanks for any help.

What version of Access are you using?

Is the backend on a network server?

Keith Wilby mentioned rights.  I think in Novell for rights; read,
write, erase (delete), modify, create.  You said you had read/write.
Are there other rights you can grant?

Are you up to date on program service packs on all computers?
0
Reply oil (4048) 11/13/2008 11:37:57 PM

Is this a bound form? Or are you programmaticlly executing some updates in
an action query or some code?

A bound form should not behave as you describe, but code might lock a whole
table.

On Nov 13, 4:48 pm, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > I'm stumped. Thanks for any help.
>
> Allen,
>
> Thanks so much for your response
>
> 1. Yes every computer has a  wired.
>
> 2. Each user has their own ACCDB front end on their own C: drive.
>
> 3. Each front end is configured as you suggested in Access Options (I
> will double check today)
>
> 4. The locking file is not created until a user updates the data via
> the form.  Any computer that has that same form already open can make
> changes as well.  After an update is made, any new instance of the
> form is "not updatable." When the updating users close the form, the
> locking file goes away.
>
> Something about updating the query through the form locks the back end
> database, then the back end is locked until the form is completely
> closed.
>
> I think the problem is occurring at the point that someone updates.

Thanks for the responses.  I may request a SQL Server instance.  With
the right argument I may be able to convince my higher-ups to allow
it.  But here are the answers to the questions asked in your

@Salad:
What version of Access are you using? Access 2007 (enterprise I think)

Is the backend on a network server? Yes it is on a shared drive that
is mapped to each workstation.  The linked tables are referencing the
backend via drive name (i.e. Q:...) rather than the network name.

Keith Wilby mentioned rights.  I think in Novell for rights; read,
write, erase (delete), modify, create.  You said you had read/write.
Are there other rights you can grant?  They only have read/write, no
delete, modify, or create.  I do not have rights to change these, but
might be able to request it if I find out that it is a must-have.

Are you up to date on program service packs on all computers?
yes. I can check, but I believe so.

@Allen

By bound form do you mean the form is bound to a query, then yes.  In
the data source property, there is a query.  The query simply merges
two tables on a foreign key.  values from the query are available in
the form and when you put your cursor in the textbox, you can update
the data.  That is when the backend locks up.

They want this thing working by tomorrow, so if it's still not working
by end of day, I'll request a SQL Server DB.

Thanks for the help.

Sam
0
Reply zmickle (7) 11/14/2008 3:35:39 AM

Hi,
If your query is a 'select' query and it has multiple tables in it and
it's bound to the form you might try changing the Recordset Type of
that query.
open the query to design view, open the properities box, single-click
in a blank spot in the tables area of the query(I forget what that
area is called), scan down the properties and find 'recordset type'
change it from 'dynaset' to 'inconsistent update', save it. load the
form and try updating again.

it may help with your issue.
bobh.

On Nov 13, 10:35=A0pm, "zmic...@gmail.com" <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> write, erase (delete), modify, create. =A0You said you had read/write.
> Are there other rights you can grant? =A0They only have read/write, no
> delete, modify, or create. =A0I do not have rights to change these, but
> might be able to request it if I find out that it is a must-have.
>
> Are you up to date on program service packs on all computers?
> yes. I can check, but I believe so.
>
> @Allen
>
> By bound form do you mean the form is bound to a query, then yes. =A0In
> the data source property, there is a query. =A0The query simply merges
> two tables on a foreign key. =A0values from the query are available in
> the form and when you put your cursor in the textbox, you can update
> the data. =A0That is when the backend locks up.
>
> They want this thing working by tomorrow, so if it's still not working
> by end of day, I'll request a SQL Server DB.

Reply vulcaned (287) 11/14/2008 7:26:43 PM

On Nov 14, 12:26=A0pm, bobh <vulca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > write, erase (delete), modify, create. =A0You said you had read/write.
> > Are there other rights you can grant? =A0They only have read/write, no
> > delete, modify, or create. =A0I do not have rights to change these, but
> > might be able to request it if I find out that it is a must-have.
>
> > Are you up to date on program service packs on all computers?
> > yes. I can check, but I believe so.
>
> > @Allen
>
> > By bound form do you mean the form is bound to a query, then yes. =A0In
> > the data source property, there is a query. =A0The query simply merges
> > two tables on a foreign key. =A0values from the query are available in
> > the form and when you put your cursor in the textbox, you can update
> > the data. =A0That is when the backend locks up.
>
> > They want this thing working by tomorrow, so if it's still not working
> > by end of day, I'll request a SQL Server DB.

bobh,

I tried it, but to no avail.  It still locks up.  In fact, if I open
just the query on one computer, it will be locked for any new instance
of the datasheet.  I cannot figure this on out.
0
Reply samlambson (14) 11/14/2008 8:20:39 PM

1. for the join in the query you are using as the form's recordsource
a one-to-one join and a one-to-many join??

2. have you tried updating each table singularly? might help with
determining if a table is locking up?

bobh.

On Nov 14, 3:20=A0pm, Sam Lambson <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 12:26=A0pm, bobh <vulca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > If your query is a 'select' query and it has multiple tables in it and
> > it's bound to the form you might try changing the Recordset Type of
> > that query.
> > open the query to design view, open the properities box, single-click
> > in a blank spot in the tables area of the query(I forget what that
> > area is called), scan down the properties and find 'recordset type'
> > change it from 'dynaset' to 'inconsistent update', save it. load the
> > form and try updating again.
>
> > it may help with your issue.
> > bobh.
>
> > On Nov 13, 10:35=A0pm, "zmic...@gmail.com" <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote=
:

> > > On Nov 13, 4:48 pm, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote=
:

> > > Thanks for the responses. =A0I may request a SQL Server instance. =A0=
With
> > > the right argument I may be able to convince my higher-ups to allow
> > > it. =A0But here are the answers to the questions asked in your
>
> > > @Salad:
> > > What version of Access are you using? Access 2007 (enterprise I think=
)

> > > Is the backend on a network server? Yes it is on a shared drive that
> > > is mapped to each workstation. =A0The linked tables are referencing t=
he
> > > backend via drive name (i.e. Q:...) rather than the network name.
>
> > > Keith Wilby mentioned rights. =A0I think in Novell for rights; read,
> > > write, erase (delete), modify, create. =A0You said you had read/write=
..
> > > Are there other rights you can grant? =A0They only have read/write, n=
> > > delete, modify, or create. =A0I do not have rights to change these, b=
ut
> > > might be able to request it if I find out that it is a must-have.
>
> > > Are you up to date on program service packs on all computers?
> > > yes. I can check, but I believe so.
>
> > > @Allen
>
> > > By bound form do you mean the form is bound to a query, then yes. =A0=
In
> > > the data source property, there is a query. =A0The query simply merge=
> > > two tables on a foreign key. =A0values from the query are available i=
> > > the form and when you put your cursor in the textbox, you can update
> > > the data. =A0That is when the backend locks up.
>
> > > They want this thing working by tomorrow, so if it's still not workin=
> > > by end of day, I'll request a SQL Server DB.
>
> > > Thanks for the help.
>
> > > Sam- Hide quoted text -

> bobh,
>
> I tried it, but to no avail. =A0It still locks up. =A0In fact, if I open
> just the query on one computer, it will be locked for any new instance
> of the datasheet. =A0I cannot figure this on out.- Hide quoted text -

Reply vulcaned (287) 11/14/2008 8:37:48 PM

Yes.  When I open any database table it is not updatable, not just
those being queried. I The form has a one to one relationship with the
query, the query is pulling from two linked tables.

0
Reply samlambson (14) 11/14/2008 8:56:53 PM

I'm a bit confused but, I work in XP and I don't have 2007

1. open both the front-end and the back-end seperately, click File-
Database properties, click on the 'general' tab and check the
'attributes to be sure 'read-only' is not checked off.

2. how are the two tables joined in the query itself ?? joined as a
line or a line with an arrow at one end?

3. have you tried doing a refresh links or even delete linked tables
and linking them back in again? In 2007 can you apply anything
criteria/parameters when linking to tables?

bobh.

On Nov 14, 3:56=A0pm, Sam Lambson <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. =A0When I open any database table it is not updatable, not just
> those being queried. I The form has a one to one relationship with the
> query, the query is pulling from two linked tables.

0
Reply vulcaned (287) 11/14/2008 9:22:08 PM

Sam Lambson wrote:

> Yes.  When I open any database table it is not updatable, not just
> those being queried. I The form has a one to one relationship with the
> query, the query is pulling from two linked tables.

I'd probably do this.  Create a new backend database called JunkBE.  I'd
create a table called Junk with a couple of fields.  Save and exit

I'd then create a new fe database called JunkFE.  I'd then link to table
Junk in JunkBE.  I'd then use the form builder wizard and build a form
called Junk bound to table Junk or to a query based on table Junk.

I'd then give the FE to a couple of people and see if they can
add/delete/modify records in form Junk simultaneously.

Setting up Junk should take a few minutes to do, it'll probably take
more time getting it distributed.  At least you'd see if Access is
multi-user in your environment.

It sounds like your existing database is quite minimal...only 1 form.
If you can get JunkFE/BE to work, maybe rewrite your existing app.  At
least build the form, copy/paste the code module for the form, and see
if that works.

If your version is not multi-user you could ask for a new version of
Access from your vendor and specify you want the network, multi-user
version and not the single stand-alone version you purchased.

Just kidding :)

0
Reply oil (4048) 11/14/2008 9:39:26 PM

On Nov 14, 2:22=A0pm, bobh <vulca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm a bit confused but, I work in XP and I don't have 2007
>
> 1. open both the front-end and the back-end seperately, click File-
> Database properties, click on the 'general' tab and check the
> 'attributes to be sure 'read-only' is not checked off.
>
> 2. how are the two tables joined in the query itself ?? joined as a
> line or a line with an arrow at one end?
>
> 3. have you tried doing a refresh links or even delete linked tables
> and linking them back in again? In 2007 can you apply anything
> criteria/parameters when linking to tables?
>
> bobh.
>
> On Nov 14, 3:56=A0pm, Sam Lambson <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes. =A0When I open any database table it is not updatable, not just
> > those being queried. I The form has a one to one relationship with the
> > query, the query is pulling from two linked tables.

1. The files are not read only when I initially open them.  If I try
to open the back end database after someone has updated a field and
before they close the form, the database is read-only.

2. The two tables in design view are connected by a line, not an
arrow.  They are linked on a common ID.

3. I have tried refreshing the linked tables, but it doesn't change
the behavior.  There appear to be no options other than changing the
location of the source database.

Thanks for your help.

0
Reply samlambson (14) 11/14/2008 9:42:10 PM

On Nov 14, 3:42=A0pm, Sam Lambson <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2:22=A0pm, bobh <vulca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I'm a bit confused but, I work in XP and I don't have 2007
>
> > 1. open both the front-end and the back-end seperately, click File-
> > Database properties, click on the 'general' tab and check the
> > 'attributes to be sure 'read-only' is not checked off.
>
> > 2. how are the two tables joined in the query itself ?? joined as a
> > line or a line with an arrow at one end?
>
> > 3. have you tried doing a refresh links or even delete linked tables
> > and linking them back in again? In 2007 can you apply anything
> > criteria/parameters when linking to tables?
>
> > bobh.
>
> > On Nov 14, 3:56=A0pm, Sam Lambson <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Yes. =A0When I open any database table it is not updatable, not just
> > > those being queried. I The form has a one to one relationship with th=
> > > query, the query is pulling from two linked tables.
>
> 1. The files are not read only when I initially open them. =A0If I try
> to open the back end database after someone has updated a field and
> before they close the form, the database is read-only.
>
> 2. The two tables in design view are connected by a line, not an
> arrow. =A0They are linked on a common ID.
>
> 3. I have tried refreshing the linked tables, but it doesn't change
> the behavior. =A0There appear to be no options other than changing the
> location of the source database.
>
> Thanks for your help.

I can't help but think this is a permissions issue.  You stated
earlier that your users "only have read/write, no
delete, modify, or create" and I am assuming this pertains to the
folder and not the database itself.  Your users absolutely must have
read, write, create, and delete rights to the _folder_ where the back
end database is located.  If they need to change data then they must
have read and write access to the database file itself.  I'd make sure
your server admins haven't done something strange.  See if they'll
grant full control to to your users on the folder where your database
is on a trial basis to see if that fixes the problem.

Also, along the lines of what Salad suggested with the 'junk'
database...try splitting the sample Northwind database into front and
back end and put the back end on the server, preferably in the same
folder as the back end of your other database.  See if your users can
get Northwind to manifest (or not manifest) the problem you described
by using the front end you created.

Also...are you using the new 'multivalue' fields in any of your
tables?

Bruce
0
Reply deluxeinformation (202) 11/14/2008 11:35:31 PM

> I can't help but think this is a permissions issue. =A0You stated
> earlier that your users "only have read/write, no
> delete, modify, or create" and I am assuming this pertains to the
> folder and not the database itself. =A0Your users absolutely must have
> read, write, create, and delete rights to the _folder_ where the back
> end database is located. =A0If they need to change data then they must
> have read and write access to the database file itself. =A0I'd make sure
> your server admins haven't done something strange. =A0See if they'll
> grant full control to to your users on the folder where your database
> is on a trial basis to see if that fixes the problem.
>
> Also, along the lines of what Salad suggested with the 'junk'
> database...try splitting the sample Northwind database into front and
> back end and put the back end on the server, preferably in the same
> folder as the back end of your other database. =A0See if your users can
> get Northwind to manifest (or not manifest) the problem you described
> by using the front end you created.
>
> Also...are you using the new 'multivalue' fields in any of your
> tables?
>
> Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

I have checked and double checked.  All users accessing the database
have full control on the folder that the database is in.  I granted
full control to the file itself as well.  I don't think it's a
permissions issue.  In fact, after troubleshooting some more I don't
think it is an issue with my form or query, but with the tables
themselves.

I did the following: On one computer I open the front end and open a
linked table.  It opened in datasheet view and was editable.  When I
open the front end on another computer and try to open ANY linked
table, query, or form, it is not editable.  The whole database is
locked down, not just the tables concerned.

Would SQL Server act differently or is my problem in my front end.  I
can't seem to figure this one out since everyone's Access Options are
set to share and have no locks, each query and form is set to have no
locks.

There is one thing I haven't tried and that is to have "row level
locking" set in the table properties.  I don't know if that would free
things up.  I'm stumped.

Sam
0
Reply samlambson (14) 11/15/2008 12:30:05 AM

On Nov 14, 4:35=A0pm, BruceB <deluxeinformat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 3:42=A0pm, Sam Lambson <samlamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 14, 2:22=A0pm, bobh <vulca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm a bit confused but, I work in XP and I don't have 2007
>
> > > 1. open both the front-end and the back-end seperately, click File-
> > > Database properties, click on the 'general' tab and check the
> > > 'attributes to be sure 'read-only' is not checked off.
>
> > > 2. how are the two tables joined in the query itself ?? joined as a
> > > line or a line with an arrow at one end?
>
> > > 3. have you tried doing a refresh links or even delete linked tables
> > > and linking them back in again? In 2007 can you apply anything
> > > criteria/parameters when linking to tables?
>
> > > bobh.

> > 1. The files are not read only when I initially open them. =A0If I try
> > to open the back end database after someone has updated a field and
> > before they close the form, the database is read-only.
>
> > 2. The two tables in design view are connected by a line, not an
> > arrow. =A0They are linked on a common ID.
>
> > 3. I have tried refreshing the linked tables, but it doesn't change
> > the behavior. =A0There appear to be no options other than changing the
> > location of the source database.
>
> > Thanks for your help.
>
> I can't help but think this is a permissions issue. =A0You stated
> earlier that your users "only have read/write, no
> delete, modify, or create" and I am assuming this pertains to the
> folder and not the database itself. =A0Your users absolutely must have
> read, write, create, and delete rights to the _folder_ where the back
> end database is located. =A0If they need to change data then they must
> have read and write access to the database file itself. =A0I'd make sure
> your server admins haven't done something strange. =A0See if they'll
> grant full control to to your users on the folder where your database
> is on a trial basis to see if that fixes the problem.
>
> Also, along the lines of what Salad suggested with the 'junk'
> database...try splitting the sample Northwind database into front and
> back end and put the back end on the server, preferably in the same
> folder as the back end of your other database. =A0See if your users can
> get Northwind to manifest (or not manifest) the problem you described
> by using the front end you created.
>
> Also...are you using the new 'multivalue' fields in any of your
> tables?
>
> Bruce

And I'll try to split the northwind database.  That is a good idea.

Thanks Bruce et al.
0
Reply samlambson (14) 11/15/2008 12:30:46 AM

Sam Lambson <samlambson@gmail.com> wrote in
m:

> I did the following: On one computer I open the front end and open
> a linked table.  It opened in datasheet view and was editable.
> When I open the front end on another computer and try to open ANY
> linked table, query, or form, it is not editable.  The whole
> database is locked down, not just the tables concerned.

Have you gotten everyone out and deleted the LDB file? Have you set
the locking in all your application's forms to be optimistic (i.e.,
No Locks)?

> Would SQL Server act differently or is my problem in my front end.
>  I can't seem to figure this one out since everyone's Access
> Options are set to share and have no locks, each query and form is
> set to have no locks.

Fix the problem with your Access setups, rather than buying all the
problems that come with upsizing to SQL Server.

> There is one thing I haven't tried and that is to have "row level
> locking" set in the table properties.  I don't know if that would
> free things up.  I'm stumped.

No, this isn't going to help.

In another post you mention something about splitting the northwind
database. Is your app split? If not, that's likely the source of all
your problems. You should split the app and each user should have an
individual front end. If you don't do that, then nobody here is
going to be much interested in offering any further advice, since
you'll be going against the most fundamental of best practices in
Access application development.

Reply XXXusenet (2387) 11/16/2008 4:05:20 AM
comp.databases.ms-access 42270 articles. 10 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Access 07: My query is making the back end database lock up
Hi, This is similar to another post, because I still haven't gotten to the bottom of it. I have a back end database on a shared drive. Each (of 4) user has a front end file on their own C: drive. The main form that users have is bound to a query which merges 2 linked tables. It is not an action query. When the query is executed, everyone still has access to the form/query, until somebody makes an update. Or so it seems. I have found that if I close and open the datasheet view of the query on one computer when it is open on another computer, the query is not updatable the second tim...

FMP front-end, other database back-end?
I'm after some advice about separating the front-end (layouts, buttons, etc) from the back-end (tables of data, doing queries). I am very experienced in FileMaker but almost completely ignorant when it comes to SQL, etc. What I want to get a feel for is whether it is worth me investing the time in learning the skills that will enable me to integrate FMP with other databases.... If the answer is 'yes', I'd appreciate tips on good resources or courses for learning how to do this. Thanks!! SOME MORE INFORMATION I use FileMaker to create user-friendly databases for scientist...

Securing database with separate front-end / back-end
Whenever anyone has a question about securing an Access database he/she is usually referred (unsurprisingly) to the Security FAQ. This is however incomplete/unclear with respect to databases with a separate front-end and back-end, which is rather surprising considering that all Access databases should be split into a separate front-end and back-end. Noticing that there are quite a lot of questions on this subject in the Access newsgroups I have put together a page on the subject, in the hope that it will be of use: http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/tech/access-security.html I do not however cla...

compact back-end database
I have a database application with a front-end containing links to tables in a back-end database. I like this development model because the front-end is small and detached from the client's data, therefore I can make upgrades without worry about having to save an enormous file, or potentially wiping out important data. Here's the problem. Compacting the front-end doesn't really do any good, since all of the data is in the back-end. I've looked and looked in help (am using Access 2000 and 2003 for development), but can't find a way to compact the back-end fr...

locking errors with a shared back-end?
I am getting locking errors while using a split database and a shared back- end. The front-ends are setup to open in "shared" mode and record-level locking. We are using Access 2000 and 2003 as clients but 2003 clients are setup to save in 2000 format. Any ideas how to correct this? Thanks. Could you be more specific about these "locking errors"? What error message(s) occur? Under what circumstances? Do they occur when a single user is using the application, or only with multiple users? "DLN" <dln@dln.invalid> wrote in message news:Xns956874865E829dln...

What back-end database should I use for this project ?
I'm starting to learn Visual Basic. My aim is to develop a small downloadable application that can store and display contacts. It has to be small (say 2 mb footprint?). Q - First, will Visual Basic give me this small footprint ? Q - What back-end database is advisable (I'm familiar with MySQL), considering that the tables will be small ? Basic goal is that the application should be universally downloadable, installable (on all windows) and must fit in a small footprint. Q - Or let me ask very broadly - what technologies would *you* use if you had to develop such an application ? M...

Database back end
Hi. I am writing a web app for a small company with 50 employees for their payroll and sales. Should I use SQL Server or Access as the database? Kevin ...

Creating relationships in front/back-end database
What is the difference between creating relationships in the front-end vs. the back-end database? I was trying to create a relationship in a database front-end and noticed that I could not check the referential integrity box. What gives? Continuing on with that line of thinking, I understand what do the relationships do for you in a database, but what do they do physically to the tables? Thanks, Mike yes, you have to enforce relationships in the back end. What would happen if you have two different front ends with different sets of rules? Clearly the back end is the boss, and it r...

Security on back-end Access 2002 database.
Hi I have a front-end/back-end setup. The front-end utilises all unbound forms populating the back-end via the code I have written. All fine so far. Prior to splitting the database I ran the security wizard and used a shortcut from the desktop. All fine except of course I can open the back-end directly. The security FAQ appears to be out of date insofar as there is no wrkgadm.exe with 2002 and therefore you simply run the security wizard without having to go through the steps you had to in previous versions (much better!) I have tried to run the wizard on the back-end thinking I could 'j...

Application autolinking to 3 database back-ends?
I have a front-end application called, �inbusiness.mdb� and three back-ends databases called, �inbusinessClient_be.mdb�, �inbusinessFund_be.mdb�, and, �inbusiness_be�. I created three back-ends for the potential intensive use of certain areas of the front-end application to their back-end tables by certain type of organizations. With the code below, (used to make future front-end updates easier) I have experienced no problems to automatically link to a single back-end database file whenever my software application was installed on a client�s computer. While the installation routine ...

Linking tables to a back-end database in use
Dear reader, By linking tables to a back-end database on a server as the database is already linked to an other front-end I have the experience that the linking process is very slow. If the other user closes his forms in which tables are linked to then de linking process of the second user are moving forwards. Is there a solution to make linking possible in case an other user has a table in use. Tanks for any help. Kind regards, Simon On Oct 9, 1:14=A0pm, "Simon" <SvanBee...@Versatel.nl> wrote: > Dear reader, > > By linking tables to a back-end database on...

Securing a Back End MDE File of a Split Database
I have a split database. Only the backen is an ".mde" file in order that I can do updates of the front. I notice that even as an mde file it can be viewed and editit. When I distribute both the front end (it's secured), and with back end data tables,shouldn't I have the backend just as secure so no one can study the table structure or the client's data? How do I do this? John An MDE file is not secure; just the code modules are compiled and that locks only modules, forms with modules, and reports with modules from being viewed/edited. It does nothing to secure macros, ...

Any way to easily force all users off an Access back end database
I am not aware of such but if there is such, maybe someone will enlighten me. I only know of vba code - which I have - to show who is connected. Then you must manually get each user - using computer name - to close their access app. Bob Bob Alston wrote: >I am not aware of such but if there is such, maybe someone will >enlighten me. I only know of vba code - which I have - to show who is >connected. Then you must manually get each user - using computer name - >to close their access app. You would need some kind of network wide flag that that your progr...

Sort Order changed in Access 2003 Back End database
I have a strange problem with a split Access 2003 database that is now sorting the records on an ID number, where it wasn't previously. Until now, when the users viewed the data that they keyed, it was displayed in the order in which it was keyed. In other words, each new recorded was appended at the end (which is how they preferred it). A couple of weeks ago, I made some minor changes to the program. The most significant change was adding a new field (a 1 character boolean flag) to one of the tables. When I installed the changes on the user's LAN, I imported 2 of their permanent ta...

Anyone using a PSQL v.9 database as a listserv back end?
I want to integrate a listserv with a corporate database that runs on PSQL v.9. I'd like to use l-soft's product. Has anyone done this before? Can you steer me to some material to read or someone with experience? Thanks, Joe ...

Query Subforms breaks link to back-end database on new imports
Goal: To improve an application's performance by basing sub forms on queries: The application has a front and back-end. There is no SQL server back-end involved. I use a module file for, seeking out the back-end and automatically linking to the back-end in order that I might be able to provide updates. This has worked for me since first setting everything up. First let me define what I mean by, �sub form� as to how I am designing my application. I have a number of, what I call, �main (unbound) forms� that are used to open up separate application modules. Each module contains a nu...

quer files don't work with back-end database
Goal: : To improve an application's performance by basing sub forms and combo The application has a front and back-end. There is no SQL server involved. I use a module for, seeking out the back-end and automatically linking to the back-end in order that I might be able to provide updates. This has worked for me since first setting everything up. First let me define what I mean by, �sub form� as to how I am designing my application. I have a number of, what I call, �main (unbound) forms� that are used to open up separate application modules. Each module contains a number of hyperlinks to...

"Back end not found. Or back end is busy"
Hello, I get this message when I try to connect to my IDS 9.4 via the bde16. I use the client version 4 (sqld_inf.dll). The version 5 gave me "Could not load driver", and I could not even reach the login prompt. Connecting over the bde32 works well, and I use exactly the same parameters... What is going wrong here ? regards, Yves -- ---------------------------------------------------------------- ELECTRO SECURITY Yves Glodt yves.glodt at electrosecurity.lu Support Informatique 73, rue de Strasbourg T�l: ++352 406 406-1 ...

Front End / Back End
I originally had my DB in MS Access 2000 split into a frontend and backend. I have now merged them so they are together. Nonetheless, some of the setting and scripts I had no longer work. I keep on getting an error with the following script when I try to run a report:- "Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer) Dim lngSource As Integer Dim lngTarget As Integer Dim strFilter As String intLoop = 1 If IsLoaded("Translators") Then" There is more to this script, however this is the part which gets highlighted. Any ideas? What is the error message? And, which spec...

Back -end Front-end
I just read these terms a few posts ago and have come across them in a database I inherited recently. Could someone please explain what this/these mean(s)? Brian Keanie wrote: > I just read these terms a few posts ago and have come across them in a > database I inherited recently. Could someone please explain what > this/these mean(s)? In the context of an Access app the front end is the application file that contains forms, reports, queries, code. The back end contains the data. In some cases the back end is another Access/Jet file and in others it is a server database like ...

Securing both front end and back end
I have a 2K database with a front end linked to a back end. I need to lock down or secure both ends so a user can not access the raw data in tables etc. I also need usernames and passwords for 50+ users. I've experimented with securing the database but can't get it the way I want it. I can still use the shift key to obtain access. Anyone have a link to a site or something to give me a guideline as to what I can do? Thanks You need Jamie's Software - Access Property Editor. Download from http://www.jamiessoftware.tk/ On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:55:10 GMT, "Brad P" <br...

Database Lock vs Database Freeze
Hi ALL I have come across two terms �Database Lock� and �Database Freeze�. I am not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will appreciate if anybody helps me out. Thanks in advance. Regards Madan Gopal Kundu Biostatistician I, i3statprobe Tel(O): +91 (0) 124 3094 022, Mobile: +919868788406 --------------------------------- Check out what you're missing if you're not on Yahoo! Messenger I never heared of a "database freeze", but it sounds like something like a error situation. Means, that you cannot work with a database while it is busy (...

Back-End Vs Front-End
Hi, What is the norm when a front-end programmer (e.g VB) designs an interface for a database (e.g Oracle)? Specifically, I mean should the front-end programmer hard-code constraints like null/nullable fields into his/her interface, or should he/she just output the meaningless Oracle errors to the user? (e.g via the VB interface). I was thinking there are good and bad things about the front-end programmer hard-coding/duplicating the "controls" into their program. The bad: if the DBA un-nulls a field on the Oracle DB, the front-end will still insist on a input of dat...

Back End/Front End Puzzle
Hi: I have an application that has a back end and a front end. I need to add a table which is identical to one in the back end, and then use it for a temporary holing place form some records. I have done the following: .. Copied the table in the back end and given the copy a new name .. Created a table with the identical name to the back end copy in the front end .. Used the linkage process to link the table reference in the front end with the new table in the back end. Changes to the two table are indepnedent if I am just yusing the "back end", but whe gthey are executed from the...