Blocking users from accessing Access database

Hi, All
  I try to block some one import my Access database tables using Access
database.

  I used password protection, but if some one crack through my password, are
there any other methods to block some one importing my tables using Access
database?

Thanks

kai

0
kailiang (32)

"kai"  wrote

 >  I used password protection, but if some
 > one crack through my password, are
 > there any other methods to block some
 > one importing my tables using Access
 > database?

No, not that I know of, if they break security (and it isn't all that
difficult). Security on a desktop database that someone can copy as a file,
take away, and work on at their leisure isn't ever going to be as good as
security on a server database. If your data tables are very important to
you, that would be the way to go -- a server database with an Access
front-end.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

0
bouncer (4168)
9/24/2004 5:29:52 AM
Larry,
Thanks
Kai
"Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in message
> "kai"  wrote
>
> >  I used password protection, but if some
> > one crack through my password, are
> > there any other methods to block some
> > one importing my tables using Access
> > database?
>
> No, not that I know of, if they break security (and it isn't all that
> difficult). Security on a desktop database that someone can copy as a
> file,
> take away, and work on at their leisure isn't ever going to be as good as
> security on a server database. If your data tables are very important to
> you, that would be the way to go -- a server database with an Access
> front-end.
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Access MVP

0
kailiang (32)
9/24/2004 5:39:14 PM
Larry,
  Is it possible when some try to import tables from current data, the
database pops a from (user defined form) to request username and password?

Thanks

kai
"Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in message
> "kai"  wrote
>
> >  I used password protection, but if some
> > one crack through my password, are
> > there any other methods to block some
> > one importing my tables using Access
> > database?
>
> No, not that I know of, if they break security (and it isn't all that
> difficult). Security on a desktop database that someone can copy as a
> file,
> take away, and work on at their leisure isn't ever going to be as good as
> security on a server database. If your data tables are very important to
> you, that would be the way to go -- a server database with an Access
> front-end.
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Access MVP

0
kailiang (32)
9/24/2004 8:38:12 PM
I am not aware of any mechanism by which you can be aware that someone is
importing from your database -- there's no event. In fact, you can import
objects from a database that isn't open (it may be, internally, temporarily
"opened"). You can apply Access security, but as I mentioned, that can be
broken.

My view of "user defined forms" for name/password security is that is, at
best, "security lite", even easier to defeat than Access' own builtin
security. I have, in the distant past, implemented a security lite scheme,
but only after I had been strong in my warnings to the client that it was,
essentially, worthless. They took the view that the people using it would be
unfamiliar with computers (computer-illiterate) and wouldn't even _try_ to
get around it. I am sure they were wrong; the only "saving grace" was that
version never went into production; the version that did go into production
had been converted to an Access client to an SQL Server database, so they
had the security of the server and of SQL Server.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access

"kai" <kailiang@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Larry,
>   Is it possible when some try to import tables from current data, the
> database pops a from (user defined form) to request username and password?
>
> Thanks
>
> kai
> "Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in message
> > "kai"  wrote
> >
> > >  I used password protection, but if some
> > > one crack through my password, are
> > > there any other methods to block some
> > > one importing my tables using Access
> > > database?
> >
> > No, not that I know of, if they break security (and it isn't all that
> > difficult). Security on a desktop database that someone can copy as a
> > file,
> > take away, and work on at their leisure isn't ever going to be as good
as
> > security on a server database. If your data tables are very important to
> > you, that would be the way to go -- a server database with an Access
> > front-end.
> >
> >  Larry Linson
> >  Microsoft Access MVP

0
bouncer (4168)
9/24/2004 10:35:02 PM
Thank you very much Larry

>I am not aware of any mechanism by which you can be aware that someone is
> importing from your database -- there's no event. In fact, you can import
> objects from a database that isn't open (it may be, internally,
> temporarily
> "opened"). You can apply Access security, but as I mentioned, that can be
> broken.
>
> My view of "user defined forms" for name/password security is that is, at
> best, "security lite", even easier to defeat than Access' own builtin
> security. I have, in the distant past, implemented a security lite scheme,
> but only after I had been strong in my warnings to the client that it was,
> essentially, worthless. They took the view that the people using it would
> be
> unfamiliar with computers (computer-illiterate) and wouldn't even _try_ to
> get around it. I am sure they were wrong; the only "saving grace" was that
> version never went into production; the version that did go into
> production
> had been converted to an Access client to an SQL Server database, so they
> had the security of the server and of SQL Server.
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Access
>

> "kai" <kailiang@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Larry,
>>   Is it possible when some try to import tables from current data, the
>> database pops a from (user defined form) to request username and
>> password?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> kai
>> "Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in message
>> > "kai"  wrote

>> > No, not that I know of, if they break security (and it isn't all that
>> > difficult). Security on a desktop database that someone can copy as a
>> > file,
>> > take away, and work on at their leisure isn't ever going to be as good
> as
>> > security on a server database. If your data tables are very important
>> > you, that would be the way to go -- a server database with an Access
>> > front-end.
>> >
>> >  Larry Linson
>> >  Microsoft Access MVP

0
kailiang (32)

multiple users' simultaneous access to a MS Access database
When my end user clicks on the icon for her MS Access database (the icon is on her Novell NAL menu) she is successful in opening the database. However, when another staff member is using the database she receives the message that someone is using it and she cannot access it at that time. Any suggestions as to what I need to do to resolve this? I guess it would be a fix to allow multiple users simultaneous access to a MS Access database? Thanks in advance, Zuf Per zufie: >When my end user clicks on the icon for her MS Access database (the >icon is on her Novell NAL menu...

Open Access Database Form from within Access database
I have included the following code to open an Access database form from within an exsisting Access database. But when I run the code, it appears that it opens the database because in windows explorer I can see the database has the .ldb file extension. So it appears that it's open, but I can't see the database or the form that I've tried to open. What am I doing wrong. The following is the code: 'This is in the declaration part of the module Dim appAccess As Access.Application ' Initialize string to database path. Const strConPathToSamples = "C:\Documents a...

Hi! Is there a MATLAB command which gives access to a .mdb MS Access database or do I need a special driver? Thanks, Andree Hi Andree Ellert, you can use activeXcontrol to interact with MS-Access database. access = actxserver('Access.Application'); returns the handle for Access. set(access, 'Visible', 1); will show the opened Access window. use get(access) and set(access) commands to find the methods available to call. -Vadivelu M =========== http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/database/datatool.shtml "Andree Ellert" <ellert@gmx.net////...

access to MS Access password-protected database?
Can anyone direct me towards a code snippet showing how to use Python to insert data into a password-protected MS Access database? My google searches have been uninformative for dbs that are password-protected. Thanks, Ken On Feb 11, 10:43=A0am, Ken McDonald <kmmcdon...@medicine.wisc.edu> wrote: > Can anyone direct me towards a code snippet showing how to use Python =A0 > to insert data into a password-protected MS Access database? My google = =A0 > searches have been uninformative for dbs that are password-protected. > > Thanks, > Ken You post is a little vague...

I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how can i make client access database located on the server? "HeMan_Speaks" <Lunar20092010@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d71ce567-0434-48b8-b1d2-bb191706ab45@w8g2000prd.googlegroups.com... >I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how > can i make client access database located on the server? I think you're going to have to expand a little bit more in your question here, as is not 100% quite clear what you're trying to do. You might want to make a little bit of a d...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and sc...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); --------...

I have a Database that I am trying to run on a new vista computer. Up to now I was running it on a win 98 computer and using access 2003! I installed access 2003 and I can make it run and view the data but I can not save any new records. Has any one seen this problem yet? Thanks Clarence Wollman On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:17:13 -0700, cwoll <clarencewollman@gmail.com> wrote: Do you have the same problem with the Northwind sample application? (search your computer for northwind.mdb) -Tom. >I have a Database that I am trying to run on a new vista computer. Up >to now I was running...

Redhat Apache to access MS-Access Database through PHP
Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows how to make this work. I have Redhat Liux ES v2.1 Server Apache 1.3 PHP 4.0 a MS-Access MDB file (just the file, already created) The MS-Access file is already in the Redhat Linux server. Is there a way I can make Apache & PHP to access this MS-Access MDB file? Thank you. ...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Accessing Access

access to Access
I've been reading some old posts that talk of an inability to connect to an Access database with RB. Is that (still) true? If so, that would be a show stipper for us. Thanks for any insight, dave In article <1187719558.603002.257260@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Dave <davegp2@msn.com> wrote: > I've been reading some old posts that talk of an inability to connect > to an Access database with RB. Is that (still) true? If so, that > would be a show stipper for us. I've never tried it, but I think you should be able to access Access via ...

Restricting User Access In Access 2010 Sharepoint With Hydrated Database
I am starting to use Access 2010 publishing to Sharepoint to allow users to use hydrated accdw database copies on laptops. They can run the apps disconnected from the internet and when they open the app and are connected to the internet, they can log in and sync both directions. I am using an Office 365 P1 account and will share the database with about 10-12 users in multiple countries. Several questions: 1) I only want the users to utilize the accdw application and not directly use the tables shown in Sharepoint. Is there any Sharepoint restrictions I can implement to res...

HXTT Access v1.0 Released for MS Access database
HXTT Access provides a type 4 JDBC driver for Table, System Table, View(Query), and Linked Table of Microsoft Access (MS Access) version from 2.0, 95, 97, 2000, XP, 2002, to 2003. It supports JDBC1.2, JDBC2.0, and JDBC3.0. It supports Personal Java, JDK1.0.X, JDK1.1.X, JDK1.2.X, JDK1.3.X, JDK1.4.X and JDK1.5.X. It supports JBuilder's Database Pilot, Oracle's JVM, JDeveloper 10G, Dreamweaver UltraDev, Dreamweaver ColdFusion, ObJectRelationalBridge, DBVisualizer, Sunopsis, MySQL Migration Toolkit, Tomcat, vqServer, Hibernate, SQuirreL SQL Client, and DbEdit Database Utilites for Eclipse Platform. It supports transaction, XOPEN SQLState, RMI, Jini, JNDI, and serialization. It supports { UNION | INTERSECT | EXCEPT | MINUS } [ ALL ] query , INNER JOIN, FULL JOIN, LEFT JOIN, RIGHT JOIN, NATURAL JOIN, CROSS JOIN, self join, and subquery which includes single-row subquery, multirow subquery, multiple-column subquery, inline views, and correlated subquery. The current version of the HXTT Access packages are available at http://www.hxtt.net/en/software/download.jsp?product=Access . ...

Accessing access
Can anyone help me please? This has been driving me nuts for ages. I want to use vb 6.0 to control data in a database (an access database). I've looked at tutorial all over the net but I don't want to use a data grid or anything like that because I want to control the database, not see it. So far, from one tutorial I've managed to get something on the lines of this ****************************************** dim db as Database Set db = OpenDatabase("E:\BT.mdb") dim rspeople as recordset set rspeople = db.openrecordset("people") ******************************************* So what I'm basically trying to do open a database and then set a recordset to it so i can start manipulating data. The actual code is a bit more indepth than this, but this is basically the first few lines run. The program stops on the bit where I set the recordset. I've stepped through the code and the db has definately been opened and there is definately a table in the actual database, but I'm told there is a type mismatch when it gets to the recordset bit. any ideas? it really is driving me nuts, any help is appreciated, Ste SteveMc wrote: > Can anyone help me please? This has been driving me nuts for ages. <snip> > ****************************************** > dim db as Database > Set db = OpenDatabase("E:\BT.mdb") > > dim rspeople as recordset > set rspeople = db.openrecordse...

Web resources about - Blocking users from accessing Access database - comp.databases.ms-access

Accessing the Future Fund a sensible proposal, says super expert Daryl Dixon
As portfolios go, the Future Fund's asset allocation is concentrated in higher-risk investment, including equities and alternative assets.

Accessing my Super
I'm 57 - can I access my super?

Australia, US accessing Indonesian telephone data, leaked documents show
Newly disclosed documents from former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden have revealed that Australian intelligence efforts against Indonesia ...

Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke detained at Melbourne Airport, accuses Customs officials of accessing ...
Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke has accused Customs officials of accessing hundreds of patients' sensitive records on his laptop after detaining ...