Can I have a Subform's VBA "see" the value passed by a "LinkMasterFields" field?

Hi,

I'm working on improving an independent subform so that I don't have
to put any code on the main forms it's being used on.

Jon and Salad just helped me figure out that I can trigger code on
changes to the links based on the subform's "OnCurrent" event.

However, I now have a new problem.  When the value I'm linking with my
master/child fields doesn't exist in my Subform's table, I need to use
the value in the master field.

I've tried googling yet again, and can't find an answer.  Lots and
lots of pages on setting which fields are linked.  But, not on pulling
out the values being passed in.
me.linkmasterfields.value doesn't seem to work
me.linkmasterfields.value(0) doesn't either.
me.recordsource only gives me the name of the table.
me.recordsourcequalifier gives an error.

me.parent.[myfieldname] works.  But, I'm not sure the field name is
the same everywhere.

Anyone know if it's possible to have the subform address exactly what
value is being passed for a given "linkmasterfields" column?

Thanks,

Jon
0
jonceramic (96)

jonceramic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on improving an independent subform so that I don't have
> to put any code on the main forms it's being used on.
>
> Jon and Salad just helped me figure out that I can trigger code on
> changes to the links based on the subform's "OnCurrent" event.
>
> However, I now have a new problem.  When the value I'm linking with my
> master/child fields doesn't exist in my Subform's table, I need to use
> the value in the master field.
>
> I've tried googling yet again, and can't find an answer.  Lots and
> lots of pages on setting which fields are linked.  But, not on pulling
> out the values being passed in.
> me.linkmasterfields.value doesn't seem to work
> me.linkmasterfields.value(0) doesn't either.
> me.recordsource only gives me the name of the table.
> me.recordsourcequalifier gives an error.
>
> me.parent.[myfieldname] works.  But, I'm not sure the field name is
> the same everywhere.
>
> Anyone know if it's possible to have the subform address exactly what
> value is being passed for a given "linkmasterfields" column?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

I created a command button on the MAIN form.  I called it
CommandSubform.  I run the following code
   Private Sub CommandSubform_Click()
       MsgBox Me.MYSUBFORMNAME.LinkMasterFields & vbNewLine & _
           Me.MYSUBFORMNAME.LinkMasterFields
   End Sub
and it spits out the links.  I could have modified it like so, I guess

   Private Sub CommandSubform_Click()
       Me.MYSUBFORMNAME.LinkMasterFields = "Test"
       Me.MYSUBFORMNAME.LinkMasterFields = "Test"
   End Sub
0
salad (170)
5/5/2011 10:05:26 PM
You need to reference the subform control on the Parent to find out what the
LinkMasterFields field is and then get the value of the field from the
Parent itself.

Dirk Goldgar's function below will get you the Subform control.  Then this
will get you the value you want (again in the On Current event of the
Subform):

Dim v As Long
v =  Me.Parent(ParentSubformControl(Me).LinkMasterFields).Value

************************
Function ParentSubformControl(frmMe As Access.Form) As Access.subForm

    Dim frmParent As Access.Form
    Dim ctl As Control

    On Error Resume Next
    Set frmParent = frmMe.Parent
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
        ' This is not a subform.
        Set ParentSubformControl = Nothing
    Else
        For Each ctl In frmParent.Controls
            If ctl.ControlType = acSubform Then
                If ctl.Form Is frmMe Then
                    Set ParentSubformControl = ctl
                    Exit For
                End If
            End If
        Next ctl
    End If

    Set ctl = Nothing
    Set frmParent = Nothing

End Function

*************************

"jonceramic" <jonceramic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on improving an independent subform so that I don't have
> to put any code on the main forms it's being used on.
>
> Jon and Salad just helped me figure out that I can trigger code on
> changes to the links based on the subform's "OnCurrent" event.
>
> However, I now have a new problem.  When the value I'm linking with my
> master/child fields doesn't exist in my Subform's table, I need to use
> the value in the master field.
>
> I've tried googling yet again, and can't find an answer.  Lots and
> lots of pages on setting which fields are linked.  But, not on pulling
> out the values being passed in.
> me.linkmasterfields.value doesn't seem to work
> me.linkmasterfields.value(0) doesn't either.
> me.recordsource only gives me the name of the table.
> me.recordsourcequalifier gives an error.
>
> me.parent.[myfieldname] works.  But, I'm not sure the field name is
> the same everywhere.
>
> Anyone know if it's possible to have the subform address exactly what
> value is being passed for a given "linkmasterfields" column?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

0
jon.lewis (33)
5/6/2011 12:53:03 PM
In the form that you are using as the sub-form control's source object you can
use code like the following to return the sub-form control's LinkMasterFields
value.  If that is not what you are attempting to do, I apologize for wasting
your time.

Private Function fGetMasterLinkField()
Dim frm As Form
Dim ctl As Control
Dim strResult As String

    Set frm = Forms(Me.Parent.Name)

    For Each ctl In frm.Controls
       If ctl.ControlType = acSubform Then
          If ctl.SourceObject = Me.Name Then
                strResult = ctl.LinkMasterFields
             Exit For
          End If
       End If

    Next ctl

'   Debug.Print IIf(Len(strResult) > 0, strResult, "No Link master field")
    fGetMasterLinkField = strResult

End Function

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

On 5/5/2011 3:40 PM, jonceramic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on improving an independent subform so that I don't have
> to put any code on the main forms it's being used on.
>
> Jon and Salad just helped me figure out that I can trigger code on
> changes to the links based on the subform's "OnCurrent" event.
>
> However, I now have a new problem.  When the value I'm linking with my
> master/child fields doesn't exist in my Subform's table, I need to use
> the value in the master field.
>
> I've tried googling yet again, and can't find an answer.  Lots and
> lots of pages on setting which fields are linked.  But, not on pulling
> out the values being passed in.
> me.linkmasterfields.value doesn't seem to work
> me.linkmasterfields.value(0) doesn't either.
> me.recordsource only gives me the name of the table.
> me.recordsourcequalifier gives an error.
>
> me.parent.[myfieldname] works.  But, I'm not sure the field name is
> the same everywhere.
>
> Anyone know if it's possible to have the subform address exactly what
> value is being passed for a given "linkmasterfields" column?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

0
JSPENCER1 (59)

about "++" and "--"

"out" and "in out"

why "::", not "."

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Dijkstra's "Enumeration" = "Metrics" his "Abstraction" = "Quality"
"Enumerative reasoning is only an adequate mental tool under the severe boundary condition that we only use it very moderately. We should appreciate abstraction as our main mental technique to reduce the demands made upon enumerative reasoning." ~ EW Dijkstra This is critically decisive because Dijkstra is saying that in most *software engineering" contexts, most of the time, abstraction is key relative to "metrics", the numerical, the quantitative. It is a TOWWWEEERRRING, grand slam "home run". It is of Doug William's 3-4 perfectly pitched Super Bowl touchdowns. It is growth in insight after Dijkstra one of THE very best ran into major impasses attempting to drive development with metrics. His insight is that ABSTRACTION should "lead" the way. While there is the dialectic: metrics<=>abstraction The predominant factor to engage and lead software engineering by is "abstraction". So notation wise better: metrics<=>abstraction* And to denote analyzing or summarizing the dialectic applied in whatever context, from point 'a' to 'b': a,b{ metrics<=>abstraction* Discrete points: a,b; l,q{ metrics<=>abstraction* Have at your own meaningful fun! Elliott -- Global Plans + IID = part of an optimal approach On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:36:17 -0500, "Universe" <universe@tAkEcovadOuT.net> wrote: >"Enumerative reasoning is only an adequate mental tool und...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

What's wrong with this: street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5
Hi, I wanted to remove the first zero from 0416 E. BAILEY 101, but not from 0 S 356 MADISON. I ran the following code and I have problem with the line: ------------------------ street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5; ---------------------- My desired output is something like this under one single variable "street_n": 416 E. BAILEY 101 0S356 MADISON Hope to get some help from out there. Thanks, Duckhye. data a; input street $1-19; cards; 0416 E. BAILEY 101 0 S 356 MADISON ; run; data b;set a; addr1=put(left(scan...

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

puts "\\".gsub("\\", "\\\\")

Gary Sokolich """"""

There's "Unix", and then there's "UNIX(r)"
From TOW[1]: The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux is the most popular non-certified workalike. So, to summarize: "Unix" is a class of operating systems that is "UNIX-like", which includes Linux. "UNIX(r)" is a trademark of the Open group, who -- somewhat snootily -- have an issue with the term "UNIX-like". (They can take a flying fsck.) "Cult of Unix" spells "Unix" as "Unix", because otherwise, what would it have to do with Linux? This PSA brought to you by the letter "U" and the number "2". -v Unix minions, unite! On 2/9/14, 1:15 PM, in article ld8nlg$bu7$1@dont-email.me, "vallor" <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote: > From TOW[1]: > > The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX > trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems > compliant with its standard, the Single UN...

Suddenly Can't Use "ifstream"s and "ofstream"s
I had a working piece of code that successfully read from files with the "ifstream" type and wrote to files with the "ofstream" type. This code is made up of a number of different files. In the course of the job I needed for two of these files to have access to one piece of information, so I created a class that I called "CSuffix" and stored the common information there. So I created a "Suffix.h" file that looks like: #pragma once class CSuffix { public: static void initialize (); static void increment (); static c...

help to pass from "." to ","
Hi alls, I sent a message some time ago for ask you how can I read a .txt file. I solved that problem and I discovered that the only command that I need is "read". Now I Have another problem, I searched on the help and online but I didn't find out something usfeull. Well, because scilab separe decimal part with the sign "." and in this file there are numbers whos decimal part is separed with "," I'd like to tell to scilab something like "well, now the symbol "," for you is a point "."". So that I can read correctly all numbers in the file... Thanks for your attemption and sorry for my english > Hi alls, I sent a message some time ago for ask you how can I read > a .txt file. I solved that problem and I discovered that the only > command that I need is "read". Now I Have another problem, I searched > on the help and online but I didn't find out something usfeull. > Well, because scilab separe decimal part with the sign "." and in this > file there are numbers whos decimal part is separed with "," I'd like > to tell to scilab something like "well, now the symbol "," for you is > a point "."". So that I can read correctly all numbers in the file... Sorry, in my previous answer suggesting fscanfMat I had overlooked that your data contain commas. Looking at these data it seems they are actually i...

putty terminal, where's the "do" "select" "remove" key?
I want to start using putty, but I can't figure out where all the lk201 keys are. Any help??? On 2013-05-14 16:45:02 +0000, jon@jonathanleslie.com said: > I want to start using putty, but I can't figure out where all the lk201 > keys are. Any help??? Start reading here <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/function-keys.html> and here <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/faq.html#faq-keyboard> and particularly here <http://www.parsec.com/general/technical.php?i=2513&r=7K5K3H&d=OpenVMS>. qv: NumLock is PF1 in VT400 mode, and the editing keypad is listed there, too. In general, dependencies on function keys are full of fail in this era. It hurts, yes, but the faster you get rid of your dependences on this morass, the better off you'll be. -- Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:45:02 PM UTC-4, j...@jonathanleslie.com wrote: > I want to start using putty, but I can't figure out where all the lk201 keys are. Any help??? Forget about PuTTY. Tera Term is a much better free VT emulation. http://logmett.com/index.php?/products/teraterm.html Neil Rieck Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/OpenVMS.html In article <0327fda4-76e6-4197-ae6d-c8ffa7e172a1@googlegroups.com>, jon@jonathanleslie.com writes: > I want to start using putty, but I can'...

Re: What's wrong with this: street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5
Dear Dyang, You have this street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5 ; But I think you want this street_n=addr1_1||" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5; HTH, Charles Patridge "Charles Patridge" <charles_s_patridge@PRODIGY.NET> wrote in message news:200403041919.i24JJEo15087@listserv.cc.uga.edu... > Dear Dyang, > > You have this > > street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5 ; > > B...

[why are trailing '\n's missing in "$x"]: x="$(printf "hi\n\n")"; printf "$x"
Ex ~ $ printf "hi\n\n"|cat -A hi$ $ ~ $ x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" ~ $ printf "$x"|cat -A hi~ $ Why are the trailing '\n's not in "$x"? Is there any way to stop this, w/o using a tempfile? -- thanks! On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: > x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" x="$(printf "%s" "hi\n\n")" Best regards, Cyrus In article <bibnk6Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>, Cyrus Kriticos <cyrus.kriticos@googlemail.com> wrote: >On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: >> x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" > >x="$(printf "%s" "hi\n\n")" > >Best regards, >Cyrus Which is, at best, a pedantic nitpick, having nothing to do with OP's problem. In fact, ITYM: x="$(printf "%s\n\n" "hi")" (which still doesn't solve OP's problem, but at least demonstrates better pedantry) -- Watching ConservaLoons playing with statistics and facts is like watching a newborn play with a computer. Endlessly amusing, but totally unproductive. On 12/30/2013 12:00 AM, Kenny McCormack wrote: > In article <bibnk6Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>, > Cyrus Kriticos <cyrus.kriticos@googlemail.com> wrote: >> On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: >>> x="...

how to change "/" to "\"
iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. olympie@gmail.com wrote: > iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing > the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. sed 's/\//\\/g' will replace all '/' with '\' srp -- http://saju.net.in Saju Pillai <saju.pillai@gmail.com> wrote: >> iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing >> the pattrern "/" to "\" using ...

"A" is not equal "A"?
I was trying to convert String Array to String A through cycle and than compare the result with String B but eventhough results were the same it returned false. I'am working in BlueJ 3.1.0 Code is: public boolean Method () { String[] Example = {"a","b","c"}; String A = ""; String B = "abc" for (int i = 0; i<3 ; i++) { A = A + Example[i]; } if (A == B) { return true; } } never got true... I appreciate any suggestions how to solve this Den 08.04.2014 10:06, skrev 245dav@gmail.com:...

In Metapost, What's the difference between "=" and ":="?
Hi, I don't see explanation about the difference between "=" and ":=" in Metapost? Do you know what's the difference? Thanks, Peng Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, > > I don't see explanation about the difference between "=" and ":=" in > Metapost? > > Do you know what's the difference? := is an assignment: "go put that value in there right now", = is just another constraint that will be solved: "go find a solution that satisfies this constraint." Of course, with "a=3cm", there's not many values that will work for a. Consider a = 3cm; a := 4cm; If the second assignment were just an equation, mpost would complain that 3cm does not equal 4cm, because you're saying you want a to be 3cm and 4cm at the same time. HTH Ulrich -- Getting lost in the \footnotes and \temporals? Talcum makes LaTeX more fun. Now with whole new bugs ;), and, of course, still with special Beamer support. http://talcum.sarovar.org/ (Current release: 0.4.3) Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> writes: > I don't see explanation about the difference between "=" and ":=" in > Metapost? > > Do you know what's the difference? The METAFONT-book (among others) explains this. := is just the ordinary assignment of most programming languages: it unbinds the variable at the left side, calculates the value at the right side and then ass...

Re: "out" and "in out"
"no reliable initial value" means, you cannot rely on the value, but it may have a value. This depends on the parameter passing mechanism, which is _not_ related to the parameter mode (contrary to what many people think). So the parameter mode is there (nearly) solely for the information of the reader. The parameter passing mechanism for all kinds of parameters is defined in the RM. There are parameters passed by copy (in and out), by reference; for some it is explicitly left undefined. In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely...

why have both "." and "->" ?
I used to remember why c++ needed both ? Could somebody help me here ? For example class A{ f(); }; A* aa; You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. Raj "raj" <rajkumar@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:d7fee6d0.0406230748.694b966b@posting.google.com... > I used to remember why c++ needed both ? > Could somebody help me here ? > > For example > > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++...

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

"==" is NOT TRUE "==", WHY?
[CODE START] x=5; y=8; if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) a = 3 else a = 8 end [CODE END] When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. Why? Kindly advise. Thanks. "onemilimeter Chen" <onemm@example.com> wrote in message <g7adrj$5tr$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > [CODE START] > x=5; > y=8; > if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) > a = 3 > else > a = 8 > end > [CODE END] > > When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. > When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. > > Why? ...

Web resources about - Can I have a Subform's VBA "see" the value passed by a "LinkMasterFields" field? - comp.databases.ms-access