Can I update a MS Access 2002 database with Visual Basic .net 2003 Standard Editon?

I am considering purchasing Visual Basic .net 2003 Standard Editon to
do some development work with Web Forms and I need to know whether
this edit will allow me to update an Access database (mdb) file. I
already have a database which is updated through an Access front-end,
I want to update the database through web forms, is this possible?
what are the benefits of going for the Professional Verion of Visual
Studio instead?

Cheers,

In VB.Net you'd use the ADO.Net objects to update the database.

Visual Studio.Net is just another Rapid Application Development (RAD)
tool.  It has the added ability of being the development platform for
VB.NET, C#.NET, C++.NET, Java.NET.  It can also easily create XML
objects/dependencies and set up web pages to use ASP.NET.  And, other
stuff I've forgotten about.

--
MGFoster:::mgf00 <at> earthlink <decimal-point> net
Oakland, CA (USA)

pisaac wrote:

> I am considering purchasing Visual Basic .net 2003 Standard Editon to
> do some development work with Web Forms and I need to know whether
> this edit will allow me to update an Access database (mdb) file. I
> already have a database which is updated through an Access front-end,
> I want to update the database through web forms, is this possible?
> what are the benefits of going for the Professional Verion of Visual
> Studio instead?

0
me2968 (1474)
9/22/2004 7:10:11 PM
You'd want to go to the description of what you get with VB.NET Standard to
see if it comes with the necessary support for dealing with Access/Jet
databases.

I've never used VB.NET Standard. I suspect most developers here who have
used .NET have used Visual Studio.NET, which certainly does have the
capability. Whether the "standard" edition does, I couldn't say.

It is just a matter of what Microsoft has packaged in that edition and what
is licensed when you purchase it.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

"pisaac" <robraizada@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am considering purchasing Visual Basic .net 2003 Standard Editon to
> do some development work with Web Forms and I need to know whether
> this edit will allow me to update an Access database (mdb) file. I
> already have a database which is updated through an Access front-end,
> I want to update the database through web forms, is this possible?
> what are the benefits of going for the Professional Verion of Visual
> Studio instead?
>
> Cheers,

0
bouncer (4168)

MS Access 2003-2002 database connectivity
I am new to MS Access database and want to accomplish following. I have a database and report in MS Access 2003. There are multiple users who wants to access and generate their respective reports (self help). Because of certain license restrictions they can not access 2003 installed on my PC. We have a shared drive with 2002 installed on it. I wanted to accomplish a connection between Access 2003 (my PC) and MS Access 2002 (shared drive). I wanted to have 10 mins data refresh in 2002. Finally users will connect to 2002 and generate their report. Please advice me on how to accomplish this. Any pointers, suggestions, guidance will be really appreciated. Thanks and Regards Piyush same program minus the prettier menu bar icons in A2K3. if you have multiple users accessing at the same time, i'd suggest you look into a front-end, back-end setup. should be able to get the details from the help file. Read the following article of mine..it should help: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/Articles/split/index.htm Note that you can run mixed clients. So, some can be access 2000, some can be access 2002, and some can be 2003.. If you follow the above instructions, all 3 versions can use, and share that data file... -- Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP) Edmonton, Alberta Canada pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com ...

Connecting to MS-Access database through visual basic
Hi, I am trying to browse a recordset using bound controls using VB 6.0. I am using Windows XP operating system. to this end i created a form in vb and try to link it to MS-Access database. when i give the path of database(.mdb) file, to link to the database, it gives an error saying unrecognised database format. any thoughts on why this is happening? any help is greatly appreciated. thanx in advance. i think u dont have latest latest Access drivers installed, and trying to access a newer version of Access database than VB (odbc) supports. Khurram ...

Database connectivity with MS Access in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
Hi All, I am developing a intra-company website. I am working in MS Visual Studio .NET, and am writing the code in VBScript. I have an MS Access database with which i want to connect. Once the connection is established, i want to retreive a particular record and display one particular field of the record in a text box. Given below is the concerned code snippet (the default.aspx.vb file): Partial Class _Default Inherits System.Web.UI.Page Protected Sub Submit_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Submit.Click Dim Conn Dim rsAddRequest Dim val Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") Conn.Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" Conn.Open(Server.MapPath("requests.mdb")) rsAddRequest = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") rsAddRequest.CursorType = 2 rsAddRequest.LockType = 3 rsAddRequest.Open("Select * from request where TrackingID='RR0004'", Conn) Name.Text = rsAddRequest.Fields("RequesterName").ToString() rsAddRequest.Close() rsAddRequest = Nothing Conn = Nothing End Sub End Class The database is requests.mdb; the table is request, the field to be displayed is RequesterName and the text boc is named Name. The code given above diplays "System.__ComObject" in the text box. And, if i remove the .ToString() part, then the error generat...

ms-access database cannot be updated
I have a ms-access application. The front end is ms-access and the backend is SQL Server. Originallly it worked well on windows 2000 machine. After the machine is re-imaged to windows xp machine. The application cannot be updated. All the textbox or dropdownlist become readonly. There are no particular error message. The screen is just freeze when you are trying to do update. Can someone help with this issue? Thanks! ...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

Updating MS-Access Database query
hello i need to update my MS-Access database thru matlab. when using the following code using function "updates" it updates the database i.e .......whereClause = 'where month = ''Nov'''..... Here "Nov" is an entry in the database. Now when i assign a variable to the months..ie variable name "MNTH" could contain Jan /Feb etc,.....and i want to pass the variable "MNTH" ie .......whereClause = 'where month = ''MNTH'''..... it DOES NOT update the database and i receive the error .....error in horxcat......

Access 2003 database will not open using Access 2002
Hi everyone. I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the following error "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..." Could anyone please help to resolve this issue. Many thanks. Joe. Use Access 2003 to decompile the database. To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the quotes: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb" Then compact the database to get rid of this junk: Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version of Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's supposed to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open the database in A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In practice, this doesn't always work. The decompile explicitly discarding the binary, which usually solves the problem. This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling when switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, r...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon ...

Creating MS Access databases with VB (.net)
Hello, I am trying to create MS Access databases using VB .net. I can create MS Access 2000 databases OK but also want to create (using VB .net code) 97 format MS Access databases as well. Was using ADOX but the create statement has no parameters for access format and just creates database to whatever format of access you have installed. --- CODE START --- Dim cat As New ADOX.Catalog() Dim sCreateString As String sCreateString = _ "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Test.mdb" cat.Create(sCreateString) --- CODE END --- Cheers Paul M Let me steal from a regul...

Web resources about - Can I update a MS Access 2002 database with Visual Basic .net 2003 Standard Editon? - comp.databases.ms-access

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
... companies – Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) – both made it easier for Oracle's (NYSE: ORCL) customers to move their databases ...