Can't see all of the queries when merging to MS Word and can't get to reports

I'm working with a database developed by an untrained person over
several years - and on a network that has recently been upgraded with
a new server installed and MS office upgraded from 2K (I think - it
might have been XP) to 2003.  The database is impressive, both in what
it does and the obtuse and inconsistent ways it works.  There are
several hundred queries, for example, with no indication of where they
are used or if they are in fact necessary at all...

The database is for the local Hospice service, and their entire
operation is based on it - from patient records to donations.

The database was developed in Access 2K and has not been converted, so
it's being opened as an Access 2000 database in Access 2003.  I tried
converting to 2003, and didn't see any change in the bothersome
behavior.

There are several letters in MS Word that use the database as the
source data for mail merges.  Until the conversion, everything worked
fine, but with the conversion, it became necessary to specify new
locations for the source data for the merges.  In MS Word 2003, when I
try to open a new datasource, I can specify the MS Access database,
but the format of the dialog box is significantly different than I am
used to.  I am presented with a list of "Views" and tables, with the
Views apparently corresponding to the queries in the database.

The difficulty is that, unlike in Access 2K, I don't seem to be seeing
any query that contain parameters - at least I think that's why I'm
not seeing all of the queries.  I do see all of the tables, so my
workaround has been to create make-table queries based on the old
parameter queries, and specify those tables as the datasources for the
merges.  That works, but involves lots of work with making new
make-table queries, and new macros that call the new queries, and
there are lots more merge document that need to be dealt with.

Also - I can't seem to open any reports.  If I try to get to design
view from the reports tab, nothing happens - no error message or
anything.  If I try to open a report from a button on a form that uses
code, I get a message the "The Open Report Action was cancelled".

Help!!!!?????
0
starship (6)

Hard to help you without more specific info.  Any answer to your post here
would be speculative.

Question #1: What database backend is being used (JET? MS SQL Server?
Oracle?)?
Question #2: If JET, are you using front-end/backend, or single file
scenario? (I *highly* recommend the former).
Question #3: Why would you use make-table queries to run reports? (these
will inflate your database dramatically, are *not* friendly or practical in
multi-user environments, and cause more maintenance hassles).
Question #4: The report design problem needs more detail.  Are you able to
see the report designs in the MSA2K version?

Personally, I'd recommend getting more specialized on-hands help for your MS
Access dilemma.

HTH.
~ Duane Phillips.

"Jerry Hull" <starship@peak.org> wrote in message
> I'm working with a database developed by an untrained person over
> several years - and on a network that has recently been upgraded with
> a new server installed and MS office upgraded from 2K (I think - it
> might have been XP) to 2003.  The database is impressive, both in what
> it does and the obtuse and inconsistent ways it works.  There are
> several hundred queries, for example, with no indication of where they
> are used or if they are in fact necessary at all...
>
> The database is for the local Hospice service, and their entire
> operation is based on it - from patient records to donations.
>
> The database was developed in Access 2K and has not been converted, so
> it's being opened as an Access 2000 database in Access 2003.  I tried
> converting to 2003, and didn't see any change in the bothersome
> behavior.
>
> There are several letters in MS Word that use the database as the
> source data for mail merges.  Until the conversion, everything worked
> fine, but with the conversion, it became necessary to specify new
> locations for the source data for the merges.  In MS Word 2003, when I
> try to open a new datasource, I can specify the MS Access database,
> but the format of the dialog box is significantly different than I am
> used to.  I am presented with a list of "Views" and tables, with the
> Views apparently corresponding to the queries in the database.
>
> The difficulty is that, unlike in Access 2K, I don't seem to be seeing
> any query that contain parameters - at least I think that's why I'm
> not seeing all of the queries.  I do see all of the tables, so my
> workaround has been to create make-table queries based on the old
> parameter queries, and specify those tables as the datasources for the
> merges.  That works, but involves lots of work with making new
> make-table queries, and new macros that call the new queries, and
> there are lots more merge document that need to be dealt with.
>
> Also - I can't seem to open any reports.  If I try to get to design
> view from the reports tab, nothing happens - no error message or
> anything.  If I try to open a report from a button on a form that uses
> code, I get a message the "The Open Report Action was cancelled".
>
> Help!!!!?????

0
askme5690 (46)
11/25/2004 1:23:25 PM
There are three ways to get Mail Merge data from an Access database:

DDE     (office 6)
ODBC    (office 95)
OLEDB   (office 2000).

All three methods are still supported, you just have to navigate
through Word to find them.  From your description, you are using
OLEDB, and can only see queries which are valid views in the OLEDB
connection.  I think that you will have better luck with an ODBC
connection, but I personally don't do it that way: I automate from
the Access side, and I always start mail merges with an export to
a spreadsheet, csv, or a word (rtf) table.

I'm not really familiar with Word (you would be better off in a
Word group), but perhaps you could look for the "Select Method"
checkbox in the "Open Data Source" dialog box.

I don't know what the problem is with the reports. Make a backup
copy of the database, then de-compile or import all objects into
a new database.

(david)

"Jerry Hull" <starship@peak.org> wrote in message
> I'm working with a database developed by an untrained person over
> several years - and on a network that has recently been upgraded with
> a new server installed and MS office upgraded from 2K (I think - it
> might have been XP) to 2003.  The database is impressive, both in what
> it does and the obtuse and inconsistent ways it works.  There are
> several hundred queries, for example, with no indication of where they
> are used or if they are in fact necessary at all...
>
> The database is for the local Hospice service, and their entire
> operation is based on it - from patient records to donations.
>
> The database was developed in Access 2K and has not been converted, so
> it's being opened as an Access 2000 database in Access 2003.  I tried
> converting to 2003, and didn't see any change in the bothersome
> behavior.
>
> There are several letters in MS Word that use the database as the
> source data for mail merges.  Until the conversion, everything worked
> fine, but with the conversion, it became necessary to specify new
> locations for the source data for the merges.  In MS Word 2003, when I
> try to open a new datasource, I can specify the MS Access database,
> but the format of the dialog box is significantly different than I am
> used to.  I am presented with a list of "Views" and tables, with the
> Views apparently corresponding to the queries in the database.
>
> The difficulty is that, unlike in Access 2K, I don't seem to be seeing
> any query that contain parameters - at least I think that's why I'm
> not seeing all of the queries.  I do see all of the tables, so my
> workaround has been to create make-table queries based on the old
> parameter queries, and specify those tables as the datasources for the
> merges.  That works, but involves lots of work with making new
> make-table queries, and new macros that call the new queries, and
> there are lots more merge document that need to be dealt with.
>
> Also - I can't seem to open any reports.  If I try to get to design
> view from the reports tab, nothing happens - no error message or
> anything.  If I try to open a report from a button on a form that uses
> code, I get a message the "The Open Report Action was cancelled".
>
> Help!!!!?????

0
david
11/26/2004 1:51:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions from those who responded - Here's what I've
discovered:

Re: couldn't see parameter queries from Word 2003:
MS Word 2003 will show the appropriate dialog boxes to let you choose
parameter queries as the data source for mail merges if, in word, you:
  Select Options from the Tools menu
  Click the General Tab
  Place a check mark next to "Confirm conversion at Open"

After this (which only needs to be done once), you will get a dialog
box that lists tabs at the top for tables and queries, and you'll be
able to select parmeter queries.

Re: couldn't open reports
The problem seemed to be with the default network printer that was
somehow confusing MSAccess.  Following the instructions of the network
administrator, we removed the network connection from the printer and
reconnected it as a local printer.  Now the reports print fine - but
we're still not sure what causes the problem with the network
connected printer.

Re:questions and comments from responders

Question #1: What database backend is being used (JET? MS SQL Server?
Oracle?)?
JET

Question #2: If JET, are you using front-end/backend, or single file
scenario? (I *highly* recommend the former).
Since I inherited the database, and it's a real mish-mash, I haven't
split the database yet.  First there's got to be a redesign, new
junction tables, importing and massaging existing data, redirecting
forms and reports, etc.

Question #3: Why would you use make-table queries to run reports?
(these will inflate your database dramatically, are *not* friendly or
practical in multi-user environments, and cause more maintenance
hassles).
Agreed - I wouldn't use make-table queries for reports.  I used these
as a panic-induced solution to let the folks get out the mail merges
they needed (not reports).  Now I don't even need those.  The previous
designer did use some make-table queries, and I'll be doing away with
those as soon as I can.

Question #4: The report design problem needs more detail.  Are you
able to see the report designs in the MSA2K version?
Nope - but that was apparently a printer issue, and that's been dealt
with .

Personally, I'd recommend getting more specialized on-hands help for
your MS Access dilemma.
That may be a necessity in the future - but there's the problem of
cost (I'm volunteering my time) and availability (we don't have a lot
of Access developers here in the local area)

HTH.
~ Duane Phillips.

There are three ways to get Mail Merge data from an Access database:

DDE     (office 6)
ODBC    (office 95)
OLEDB   (office 2000).

All three methods are still supported, you just have to navigate
through Word to find them.  From your description, you are using
OLEDB, and can only see queries which are valid views in the OLEDB
connection.  I think that you will have better luck with an ODBC
connection, but I personally don't do it that way: I automate from the
Access side, and I always start mail merges with an export to a
spreadsheet, csv, or a word (rtf) table.

We ended up with DDE connections, which seem to work.

I'm not really familiar with Word (you would be better off in a Word
group), but perhaps you could look for the "Select Method" checkbox in
the "Open Data Source" dialog box.

Sort of what we did with the Confirm conversion at Open

I don't know what the problem is with the reports. Make a backup copy
of the database, then de-compile or import all objects into a new
database.

Didn't do it - but then, it was the printer thing....

David Epsom
starship@peak.org (Jerry Hull) wrote in message news:<583979c7.0411241339.571627bf@posting.google.com>...

Original Post:

> I'm working with a database developed by an untrained person over
> several years - and on a network that has recently been upgraded with
> a new server installed and MS office upgraded from 2K (I think - it
> might have been XP) to 2003.  The database is impressive, both in what
> it does and the obtuse and inconsistent ways it works.  There are
> several hundred queries, for example, with no indication of where they
> are used or if they are in fact necessary at all...
>
> The database is for the local Hospice service, and their entire
> operation is based on it - from patient records to donations.
>
> The database was developed in Access 2K and has not been converted, so
> it's being opened as an Access 2000 database in Access 2003.  I tried
> converting to 2003, and didn't see any change in the bothersome
> behavior.
>
> There are several letters in MS Word that use the database as the
> source data for mail merges.  Until the conversion, everything worked
> fine, but with the conversion, it became necessary to specify new
> locations for the source data for the merges.  In MS Word 2003, when I
> try to open a new datasource, I can specify the MS Access database,
> but the format of the dialog box is significantly different than I am
> used to.  I am presented with a list of "Views" and tables, with the
> Views apparently corresponding to the queries in the database.
>
> The difficulty is that, unlike in Access 2K, I don't seem to be seeing
> any query that contain parameters - at least I think that's why I'm
> not seeing all of the queries.  I do see all of the tables, so my
> workaround has been to create make-table queries based on the old
> parameter queries, and specify those tables as the datasources for the
> merges.  That works, but involves lots of work with making new
> make-table queries, and new macros that call the new queries, and
> there are lots more merge document that need to be dealt with.
>
> Also - I can't seem to open any reports.  If I try to get to design
> view from the reports tab, nothing happens - no error message or
> anything.  If I try to open a report from a button on a form that uses
> code, I get a message the "The Open Report Action was cancelled".
>
> Help!!!!?????
0
starship (6)
11/29/2004 7:51:03 PM
> That may be a necessity in the future - but there's the problem
> of cost (I'm volunteering my time) and availability (we don't have
> a lot of Access developers here in the local area)

What's the general area?
Sounds like you are working with a non-profit org?
There are those here who do sometimes contribute some effort, depending on
the cause and needs.  You won't likely get the moon, but you may find some
willing and able to help.  Also, the developer does not necessarily need to
be a local (especially with JET databases)... just someone you can trust.
Quite a few developers here have remote clientelle.

> [...]
>> Views apparently corresponding to the queries in the database.
>>
>> The difficulty is that, unlike in Access 2K, I don't seem to be seeing
>> any query that contain parameters - at least I think that's why I'm
>> not seeing all of the queries.  I do see all of the tables, so my
>> workaround has been to create make-table queries based on the old
>> parameter queries, and specify those tables as the datasources for the
>> merges.  That works, but involves lots of work with making new
>> make-table queries, and new macros that call the new queries, and
>> there are lots more merge document that need to be dealt with.
>>
>> Also - I can't seem to open any reports.  If I try to get to design
>> view from the reports tab, nothing happens - no error message or
>> anything.  If I try to open a report from a button on a form that uses
>> code, I get a message the "The Open Report Action was cancelled".

0
askme5690 (46)
11/29/2004 9:33:27 PM
Thanks for the reply!  The general area is Corvallis, Oregon.  The
nearest source of qualified Access programmers is Portland, about 90
miles to the north.

And yes, it's a non-profit.  Hospice of Benton county works to provide
care for those who have been medically certified to have less than 6
months to live.  And I am working for nothing, as a volunteer.
They're delighted to have me (I'm sure you know how little you really
have to know to be considered an expert), and I'm learning.  I do have
some experience and a basic grasp of design priciples, so I think I
can get a bit further before I need to call in the big guns - but it's
a real comfort knowing that this group exists.  It's already been very
helpful - Thanks!!!

Jerry Hull
Starship Enterprises
starship@peak.org

"Duane Phillips" <askme@askme.askme> wrote in message news:<eAMqd.15$eP3.1360@news.uswest.net>...
> [...]
> >> Views apparently corresponding to the queries in the database.
> >>
> >> The difficulty is that, unlike in Access 2K, I don't seem to be seeing
> >> any query that contain parameters - at least I think that's why I'm
> >> not seeing all of the queries.  I do see all of the tables, so my
> >> workaround has been to create make-table queries based on the old
> >> parameter queries, and specify those tables as the datasources for the
> >> merges.  That works, but involves lots of work with making new
> >> make-table queries, and new macros that call the new queries, and
> >> there are lots more merge document that need to be dealt with.
> >>
> >> Also - I can't seem to open any reports.  If I try to get to design
> >> view from the reports tab, nothing happens - no error message or
> >> anything.  If I try to open a report from a button on a form that uses
> >> code, I get a message the "The Open Report Action was cancelled".

0
starship (6)

SQL Server Management Studio can't 'see' the 2005 engine?? But can see 2000 ?!?
Hello, I had SQL2000 server running fine on the windows 2003 box. I then installed SQL 2005 Express. They both worked together fine. I then uninstalled SQL 2005 Express and installed SQL 2005 Server. But when I open SQL Server Management Studio, I can only connect to the SQL 2000 engine. In the Object explorer, it says v8.0.2039 (which I think is SQL 2000 Server, because I can see the existing SQL 2000 databases). How can I get SQL Server Management Studio to 'see' the SQL 2005 database engine so I can create tables? I *think* its running because there is the 'sqlservr.exe' process running, and during installation there is no issues. When I open SQL Server Management Studio, I choose 'Database Engine', then my local Servername with Windows Authentication. How do I connect to the SQL 2005 instance? Thanks, Jack. Jack (jack@nospam.com.uk) writes: > I had SQL2000 server running fine on the windows 2003 box. I then > installed SQL 2005 Express. They both worked together fine. I then > uninstalled SQL 2005 Express and installed SQL 2005 Server. But when I > open SQL Server Management Studio, I can only connect to the SQL 2000 > engine. In the Object explorer, it says v8.0.2039 (which I think is SQL > 2000 Server, because I can see the existing SQL 2000 databases). > > How can I get SQL Server Management Studio to 'see' the SQL 2005 > database engine so I can create tables? I *think* its running because &...

Branch can't get to internet, can't ping anything but ethernet at main site.
Ok, What am i missing? I've got a new MPLS connection up and running. I can ping the branch site from my main site just fine. I can not ping ANYTHING past the main site ethernet port via the branch router. Can someone please help me out!!! Heres so configs Main: interface FastEthernet0/0 description $ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-FE 0/0$$ETH-LAN$ ip address 192.168.1.251 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto ! interface Serial0/0/0 ip address 63.239.127.226 255.255.255.252 ip access-group 189 in service-module t1 timeslots 1-12 ! router rip version 2 passive-interface FastEthernet0/0 passive-interface Serial0/0/0 network 63.0.0.0 network 192.168.1.0 neighbor 192.168.2.0 no auto-summary ! ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.250 ip route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 63.239.127.225 ! Branch router: ! interface Serial0 ip address 72.165.109.6 255.255.255.252 ip helper-address 192.168.1.205 no ip directed-broadcast fair-queue 64 256 0 service-module t1 timeslots 1-6 no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0 description connected to LAN ip address 192.168.2.254 255.255.255.0 no ip directed-broadcast full-duplex no cdp enable ! router rip version 2 network 192.168.2.0 neighbor 192.168.1.0 ! ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0 no ip http server ! no cdp run td ha escrito: > Ok, > What am i missing? > I've got a new MPLS connection up and running. > I can ping the branch site from my main site just fine. > I can no...

can't find port;error 630-MS doesn't know
I have ll xps t-800 with a modem card, purchased second hand, no docs. I get "cannot open port" at the diagnostics tab in win98 I get "error 630" when trying to dial out on new DUN. Modem not responding. Debug at d40:0 shows only port 1 following w98 help instructions as far as I understand them. Yet device manager and system info clearly shows the standard 56K modem at com5 Interrupt 10. Trying to send echo atdt and other commands in dos yields nothing. How do I get this modem to wake up. My laptop give essentially the same output in debug a...

Can't see Clie pegn760c's MS as removable drive in WXPPro
Is the subject pretty self-explanatory? I did it onec, but after, Hotsync didn't work so I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it. ...

Can't cd , can't use wildcard
Hi , I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whenever I try to "cd" into some of the directories(which exist), I get an "Invalid directory". I can use to get into few of the directories(using cd) but for other it just says "Invalid directory". Moreover, I can't use any wildcard characters..(*, ? etc) at all.. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks Arun On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:13:52 GMT, Arun Goel <arun.goel@sbcglobal.net> wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc: > Hi , > > I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whene...

Can't get patches via smpatch, update manager, web, or wget; can't re-register with sconadm or update manager
I have a Sun software support contract. Since the new My Oracle thing went alive, I've been unable to update via smpatch or the update manager--voluminous Java error messages in / var/adm/messages include: Jan 23 16:33:41 osprey root: [ID 702911 user.error] => com.sun.patchpro.util.CachingDownloader@16c79d7 <=Downloader.getResponseCode() : IOExceptionNo route to host Other messages seem to suggest failure to use a proxy server (I have no proxy server here), although my network is behind a Solaris 10 'ipfilter' firewall that nat's the internal hosts. I&#...

if lisp can add any feature, then why doesn't it get used? I don't get it..
I really don't and for some odd reason I have this fascination with forth lisp smalltalk io haskell aggghhh!! On 2008-09-06 11:46:32 +0100, gavino <gavcomedy@gmail.com> said: > I really don't > > and for some odd reason I have this fascination with forth lisp > smalltalk io haskell > > aggghhh!! Isn't the answer *precisely* in your asking the question? Lisp is not used by "people who don't get it". Not because those that do are any smarter or born geniuses, but surely *because* they decided to put in *the effort* to learn and see "...

Maple9 Can't run, can't re-install
-I installed the maple-9 on laptop without any problem. But when I run it, nothing happens. -I tried to uninstall it with start->settings->control panel->add/remove program->maple9, the "add/remove program" freeze (for long--------). All other programs still work at that time (computer is not froozen). -I tried to shut down the computer, it needs to 'end' the 'un-installation' -I tried to re-install the maple9 from the original CD, nothing happens. -With 'autorun', it runs a few seconds and nothing happens. -Tried to installed it ...

Displaying Table Field in a report's title-bar ??? don't say it can't |3 done.
I have a Report and am trying to display some Fields from the table that the Report is producing in the title-bar of the window. I try things like: Me.Caption = [TABLE_NAME].[FIELD1] + " " [TABLE_NAME].[FIELD2] I want it to display the first and last name of the person the report is about in the title-bar -- because the data is used for a servay. The name can't be printed--but I'd like it to display in the title bar so that the end user can match the names together. How could I code this in Access? I get alot of wierd errors trying 2 do this? Thanx. P.S. Is there a way to show the user a value in the report, and not allow the printer to print it. I just thought it could be cool to have the name of the person the report is about in the title-bar. I am using Access 2002, and don't mind scripting if i have to. Me.Caption = [TABLE_NAME].[FIELD1] & " " & [TABLE_NAME].[FIELD2] use the ampersand when concatenating fields, the plus sign indicates you are trying to do a mathematical operation ____________________________________________________________________________ ________ select text box you want to hide during print properties format tab display when - change from always to screen only "Franz Kafka" <Symbolics_XL1201_Sebek_Budo_Kafka@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b3b6b110.0308231302.110cbe7a@posting.google.com... > I have a Report and am trying to display some Fields from the > table that the ...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

CORRECTION : Can't connect to Xserver SHOULD BE Can't connect to XVNCserver

Can't Use OnCurrent Event / Can't Find Macro
I have run into a sudden problem and thought I'd see if anyone else has ran into this. Out of nowhere (sort-of) I am not able to access the OnCurrent event on a subform. I, of course, can write code for the event, but [Event Procedure] under OnCurrent does not show up on the properties of the subform, and the event does not fire. When this problem happened, it seems to have also generated an error while changing records in the Main Form. The error is "...can't find the macro ".". At least I think their related...both started at the same time. I have never used a macro in my life. When I say "sort-of" above, the only thing I can think that I may have done is this: When quickly "ALT-TAB'ing" between my form and the VB editor, I *think* I accidently deleted the words [Event Procedure] out of the said OnCurrent event. Although, I'm quite sure I have done this in the past, and was able to just re-initiate the event, and move on. Now, when I try to re-initiate the event (by clicking the "..." symbol next to the event) it brings up the EXPRESSION BUILDER! Not the Choose Builder request like it should. I have tried everything short of re-creating the form completely (compact/repair, export form - c/r - import form, ext...) Anybody ever see this? You should be able to just type in [Event Procedure] in the event slot and it will begin working. Rational Repairs wrote: >I have run into a sudden problem and thought ...

Need Advice: Can't get crashed HD to boot as slave so I can see if any files can be recovered.
80 gig WD HD crashed on E macnine. Drive had 6 partitions. Tried recovery software x4 which fully installed but boot up stops and I always get "disk read error". Talked with e machine tech in live chat, we retried recovery disks, chkdsk said there was 1 partition and we both suspect a trashed MBR which we failed to recover. I don't want to format the drive because I have many files I want to recover if possible, the most important are health information files concerning leukemia. Purchased a WD 120 gig HD and installed XP with recovery discs. Computer is up and runn...

Both can ping, 1st pc can access 2nd pc shared folder, but 2nd pc can't 1st pc's.?
pc-a & pc-b connected with rj-45 vis a switch. Having same workgroup "MSHOME". pc-a ping to pc-b "OK". pc-b ping to pc-a "OK". both pcs TCP/IP is configured for file & printer sharing & client for ms network. pc-a can access pc-b's shared folders . MY PROBLEM IS "WHY PC-B CAN'T ACCESS PC-A's SHARED FOLDERS?". Any suggestion? By the way, both pcs can browse ie from single gateway. Both OS is Xp sp2. And they can access mutually in the past. Are you talking about regularly shared folders or admin shares like ADMIN$ or ...

Palm can't find com port to synch. I can't either.
Hi. I just got a palm IIIxe. It has a serial connection. When I try to synch, it can't find the computer, and it gave an error message about the com port being busy or not available. I opened the hotsynch on the laptop, and it only showed com 3 Com 1 seemed missing. Is there a way to see what com 1 is being used for? And are com ports numbered 1 and 3? Thanks Jim I wish you luck in getting this "ancient" palm device to work with XP's interpretation of Com ports. Yes there is com 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. You may want to search Microsoft's web site for inform...

Windows "routing" server separating two subnets
Gurus, I have a small lab with a bunch of servers setup on two different subnets, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway for one and 172.16.1.1 is the gateway for the other. Installed on my Router (Windows Server with three NICs - I know, please don't comment on this, it's is for learning purposes, not production), the third NIC is the gateway to the Internet. What works: The Router server can reach the Internet as well as the computers in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (the first subnet built). What's broken: The computers on the 172.16.1.0/16 subnet cannot get to the Inter...

Can't get 'CONNECT' response
I have an NEC laptop with an AGERE modem. I have a comms program which requires a CONNECT response after connecting to a remote modem. The modem dials and connects correctly but there is no response string. Have tried ATQ0, ATV1 but the modem still does not respond. Any ideas welcome! Thanks, Arthur "Arthur Richards" <fake@address.com.au> wrote in message news:3f946e42$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > I have an NEC laptop with an AGERE modem. > > I have a comms program which requires a CONNECT response after connecting to > a remote modem. The mode...

Every time my Linux PC gets new Ip address, I can't access remotely, how can I access?/
Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /etc/hosts files (ip address machine-name), also when I do "hostname" it shows different name, how can I name this machine as "tiger" so always I want the machine name as tiger (if I do "ping tiger" with LAN shoud work), how can I do that?. Thanks. On 12 Oct 2005 17:08:57 -0700, GS <globalswamy@hotmail.com> wrote: >Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, >I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), >when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. >Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /etc/hosts files (ip address >machine-name), also when I do "hostname" it shows different name, how >can I name this machine as "tiger" so always I want the machine name as >tiger (if I do "ping tiger" with LAN shoud work), how can I do that?. >Thanks. DDNS GS wrote: > Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, > I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), > when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. > > Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /et...

Forget "Why Can't Johnny Read?" ... Why Can't Eudora Read?
I have a script which writes a MIME-formatted email containing both text and HTML. It works perfectly with all email clients with the exception of the free version of Eudora. As many of you no doubt are aware, a multipart/alternative email is constructed with two or more parts: (1) text for mail clients unable to read HTML and (2) HTML. Eudora is one of the clients which cannot read HTML. So does it read the text version of the multipart/alternative email? Of course not. It tries to read the 2nd part which is the HTML and fails ... thus displaying a table as if it were text. Eudora liter...

can't run a built application because it can't find Run-Time engine
Let's start at the begining.... everything was working fine, and then I started getting an&nbsp;error 2 (memory is full) while compiling any application.&nbsp; I couldn't resolve the issue but the same applications would compile on another machine, so I uninstalled every National Instrument software from Control Panel (add remove programs), and deleted the c:\Program Files\National Instruments directory.&nbsp; I then reinstall the Labview 8.0 Prof Dev system,&nbsp; and performed the labview 8.0.1 upgrade.&nbsp; I can now open and compile applications,&nbsp; but now when I try to run one of the compiled applications it says it can't find the labview 8.0 or compatible run-time engine....&nbsp; I tried to install the runtime engine, and I get an error message saying a higher version is already installed so it won't install.... when I go to control panel the runtime engine 7.0 and 7.1.1&nbsp; show up , but Runtime 8.0 or 8.0.1 do not....&nbsp;&nbsp; I installed runtime 8.2.1 to see if it would show up in the control panel 'add remove programs) and it does not ..... &nbsp; help! &nbsp; thanks Mike Mike, &nbsp; This knowledgebase may help you <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E6E8D84E9464AE33862571FB007085B2" target="_blank">http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E6E8D84E9464AE33862571FB007085B2</a> &nbsp; Regards Ray Farmer ...

Can't log in (can't type) on console on Solaris 10 on Ultra 10
Hello, I've installed Solaris 10 on an Ultra 10. Unfortunately I cannot log in on console and I'm looking for some advice. I can log in over the net. I installed the machine using console so I know that works fine. After booting up, I can not type anything on console, though console messages, e.g. su, are printed on the screen. The only error message is "Console login service(s) cannot run". I've googled a lot on this and found only one really relevent item here: http://blog.sun.com/roller/page/lianep/Weblog/20050204. svcs states the service is not running (as if I didn't know): # svcs -x svc:/system/console-login:default (Console login) State: offline since Thu Feb 24 15:05:08 2005 Reason: Unknown. See: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-AR See: ttymon(1M) Impact: This service is not running. http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-AR has a meaningless explanation and no fix. I've tried restarting the service without any good effect: # svcadm -v enable svc:/system/console-login svc:/system/console-login:default enabled. I've enabled "milestone all". A reboot doesn't fix it. I can't see any dependencies that are not running: # svcs -d svc:/system/console-login STATE STIME FMRI online 14:56:20 svc:/system/identity:node online 14:56:21 svc:/system/filesystem/minimal:default online 14:56:27 svc:/milestone/sysconfig:default online 14:56:28 svc:/system/utmp:default Does anyon...

config.sys corrupted; can't fix; can't start windows 2000
The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with the message that winn config.sus is corrupted. I tried booting from the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks. The computer won't recognize or run off of these. Rename the Config.sys file in the root directly to ConfigOLD.sys. See if the machine will boot without it for now. Any release of NT should be able to. If you work out for sure that the Config.sys file is faulty, you can go in with your text editor, and troubleshoot it. You will need the base knowledge to work in this file. Jerry G. ======== ...

SGI Fuel won't boot, can't access PROM
I'm having a serious problem booting an SGI Fuel. I believe it is running IRIX 6.5 and the PROM is version 6.144. The system was working but no one knew the root password. Of course I tried getting into single user mode by typing 'single' at the PROM console which started a boot then the screen went blank and the system became nonresponsive. I tried using 2 different overlay installation CD's (can't find original OS) to boot but both appear to lock up the graphics after copying files to the harddrive (before any menus even come up). I've tried connecting a null-modem cable to COM1 from an XP PC running hyperterminal (9600 8-N-1) but have never been able to get any output to the terminal. I've tried with and without the keyboard and mouse plugged into the Fuel. In an attempt to get this working I was playing with environment variable in the PROM and may have changed something that's caused my current situation. I set the following: console=d AutoBoot=No When the Fuel is turned on, the 3 lights on the keyboard flash as normal; the LED on the case flashed white for a bit then goes solid white (normal I think); but the monitor never turns on! Usually the monitor would come on maybe 10 seconds after the flashing keyboard lights, just in time to see the graphical display prompting to enter Maintenance Mode. If I press the power button on the Fuel at this point it shuts down immediately. The last thing I did in the PROM console was run ...

Can't Add "Mode" to Quick Access Toolbar in MS-Access 2007
I keep selecting and selecting, but it just doesn't show up. I also have no button in the ribbon for this, or any ability to get into other modes via the Office button. It's very frustrating; I had to search online for a keyboard shortcut to be able to access Design Mode at all. I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but it doesn't make sense. I can add and remove other buttons from the toolbar, why not Mode?? On Jun 19, 10:10=A0am, Heather <mywor...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I keep selecting and selecting, but it just doesn't show up. I also > have no button in the ribbon for this, or any ability to get into > other modes via the Office button. It's very frustrating; I had to > search online for a keyboard shortcut to be able to access Design Mode > at all. > > I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but it doesn't make sense. I > can add and remove other buttons from the toolbar, why not Mode?? I still don't get it, but this appears to only be the case when I'm using a database that was created in an earlier version of Access. When I start a new 2007 database, I have full functionality. ...

Web resources about - Can't see all of the queries when merging to MS Word and can't get to reports - comp.databases.ms-access