CompactDatabase fails with Invalid Argument error

Hello.

For years I've been using the DBEngine.CompactDatabase code to make
backups of backend databases. But now I've struck a baffling problem
where I get an Invalid Argument error. This happens on an XPHome machine
with both A97 and A2000 installed.

I simplified the code and the error still occurs. In the following new
test database containing only this procedure, dbSource refers to a brand
new database with no objects which is closed. dbDest does not yet exist.
On the last line I get the error message 'Invalid Argument'. The same
happens if I leave the dbLangGeneral out.

    Dim dbSource As String, dbDest As String

    dbSource = "C:\oj\aa\development\DBSource.mdb"
    dbDest = "C:\oj\aa\development\DBDest.mdb"

    DBEngine.CompactDatabase dbSource, dbDest, dbLangGeneral

Any suggestions?

Owen Jenkins

0
oj4367 (49)

I've since found that this problem is related to having A97 and A2000 on the
same machine. The compact process works OK in A2000 on a machine with only
A2000, and works OK in A97 on a machine with only A97. It also works OK in
A2000 on a machine with both A97 and A2000, but on the same machine, it
doesn't work in A97.

So having A2000 on the same machine, prevents the A97 compact process
working.

Any ideas why? It doesn't appear to be a references issue.

Owen

Owen Jenkins wrote:

> Hello.
>
> For years I've been using the DBEngine.CompactDatabase code to make
> backups of backend databases. But now I've struck a baffling problem
> where I get an Invalid Argument error. This happens on an XPHome machine
> with both A97 and A2000 installed.
>
> I simplified the code and the error still occurs. In the following new
> test database containing only this procedure, dbSource refers to a brand
> new database with no objects which is closed. dbDest does not yet exist.
> On the last line I get the error message 'Invalid Argument'. The same
> happens if I leave the dbLangGeneral out.
>
>     Dim dbSource As String, dbDest As String
>
>     dbSource = "C:\oj\aa\development\DBSource.mdb"
>     dbDest = "C:\oj\aa\development\DBDest.mdb"
>
>     DBEngine.CompactDatabase dbSource, dbDest, dbLangGeneral
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Owen Jenkins

0
oj4367 (49)
12/12/2003 3:39:23 AM
I duggest you go to your debug (immediate) window and type the following:

? dbLangGeneral

And tell me what it says there.

--
MichKa [MS]
NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development

This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Owen Jenkins" <oj@healthbase.com.au> wrote in message
> I've since found that this problem is related to having A97 and A2000 on
the
> same machine. The compact process works OK in A2000 on a machine with only
> A2000, and works OK in A97 on a machine with only A97. It also works OK in
> A2000 on a machine with both A97 and A2000, but on the same machine, it
> doesn't work in A97.
>
> So having A2000 on the same machine, prevents the A97 compact process
> working.
>
> Any ideas why? It doesn't appear to be a references issue.
>
> Owen
>
> Owen Jenkins wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > For years I've been using the DBEngine.CompactDatabase code to make
> > backups of backend databases. But now I've struck a baffling problem
> > where I get an Invalid Argument error. This happens on an XPHome machine
> > with both A97 and A2000 installed.
> >
> > I simplified the code and the error still occurs. In the following new
> > test database containing only this procedure, dbSource refers to a brand
> > new database with no objects which is closed. dbDest does not yet exist.
> > On the last line I get the error message 'Invalid Argument'. The same
> > happens if I leave the dbLangGeneral out.
> >
> >     Dim dbSource As String, dbDest As String
> >
> >     dbSource = "C:\oj\aa\development\DBSource.mdb"
> >     dbDest = "C:\oj\aa\development\DBDest.mdb"
> >
> >     DBEngine.CompactDatabase dbSource, dbDest, dbLangGeneral
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Owen Jenkins

0
michkap (337)
12/12/2003 2:36:39 PM
? dbLangGeneral gives me

;LANGID=0x0409;CP=1252;COUNTRY=0

It's the same on all my machines (W95/A97, Win98/A2000, WinXPH/A97/A2000).

Owen

"Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]" wrote:

> I duggest you go to your debug (immediate) window and type the following:
>
> ? dbLangGeneral
>
> And tell me what it says there.
>
> --
> MichKa [MS]
> NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development
> Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with
> no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "Owen Jenkins" <oj@healthbase.com.au> wrote in message
> > I've since found that this problem is related to having A97 and A2000 on
> the
> > same machine. The compact process works OK in A2000 on a machine with only
> > A2000, and works OK in A97 on a machine with only A97. It also works OK in
> > A2000 on a machine with both A97 and A2000, but on the same machine, it
> > doesn't work in A97.
> >
> > So having A2000 on the same machine, prevents the A97 compact process
> > working.
> >
> > Any ideas why? It doesn't appear to be a references issue.
> >
> > Owen
> >
> > Owen Jenkins wrote:
> >
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > For years I've been using the DBEngine.CompactDatabase code to make
> > > backups of backend databases. But now I've struck a baffling problem
> > > where I get an Invalid Argument error. This happens on an XPHome machine
> > > with both A97 and A2000 installed.
> > >
> > > I simplified the code and the error still occurs. In the following new
> > > test database containing only this procedure, dbSource refers to a brand
> > > new database with no objects which is closed. dbDest does not yet exist.
> > > On the last line I get the error message 'Invalid Argument'. The same
> > > happens if I leave the dbLangGeneral out.
> > >
> > >     Dim dbSource As String, dbDest As String
> > >
> > >     dbSource = "C:\oj\aa\development\DBSource.mdb"
> > >     dbDest = "C:\oj\aa\development\DBDest.mdb"
> > >
> > >     DBEngine.CompactDatabase dbSource, dbDest, dbLangGeneral
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Owen Jenkins

0
oj4367 (49)
12/12/2003 10:15:46 PM
This parameter should be one of the dbSort constants, not one of the dbLang
constants (which are to be used only for database creation).

--

> ? dbLangGeneral gives me
>
> ;LANGID=0x0409;CP=1252;COUNTRY=0
>
> It's the same on all my machines (W95/A97, Win98/A2000, WinXPH/A97/A2000).
>
> Owen
>
> "Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]" wrote:
>
> > I duggest you go to your debug (immediate) window and type the
following:

> > ? dbLangGeneral
> >
> > And tell me what it says there.
> >
> > --
> > MichKa [MS]
> > NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development
> > Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with
> > no warranties, and confers no rights.
> >
> > "Owen Jenkins" <oj@healthbase.com.au> wrote in message
> > > I've since found that this problem is related to having A97 and A2000
on
> > the
> > > same machine. The compact process works OK in A2000 on a machine with
only
> > > A2000, and works OK in A97 on a machine with only A97. It also works
OK in
> > > A2000 on a machine with both A97 and A2000, but on the same machine,
it
> > > doesn't work in A97.
> > >
> > > So having A2000 on the same machine, prevents the A97 compact process
> > > working.
> > >
> > > Any ideas why? It doesn't appear to be a references issue.
> > >
> > > Owen

0
michkap (337)
12/13/2003 8:15:33 AM
Or better yet, do not even specify it unless you are trying to change the
collating order of the database.

--

"Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]" <michkap@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3fdacaa6$1@news.microsoft.com...
> This parameter should be one of the dbSort constants, not one of the
dbLang
> constants (which are to be used only for database creation).
>

> --
> MichKa [MS]
> NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development
> Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with
> no warranties, and confers no rights.
>

> "Owen Jenkins" <oj@healthbase.com.au> wrote in message
> > ? dbLangGeneral gives me
> >
> > ;LANGID=0x0409;CP=1252;COUNTRY=0
> >
> > It's the same on all my machines (W95/A97, Win98/A2000,
WinXPH/A97/A2000).

> > Owen
> >
> > "Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]" wrote:
> >
> > > I duggest you go to your debug (immediate) window and type the
> following:
> > >
> > > ? dbLangGeneral
> > >
> > > And tell me what it says there.
> > >
> > > --
> > > MichKa [MS]
> > > NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development
> > > Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies
> > >
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with
> > > no warranties, and confers no rights.
> > >
> > > "Owen Jenkins" <oj@healthbase.com.au> wrote in message
A2000
> on
> > > the
> only
> OK in
> it

> machine

> new
> brand
> exist.
> same

0
michkap (337)
12/13/2003 8:19:54 AM
I'm not sure what you mean that it should be a dbSort constant. And the problem
occurs even if I don't include the dbLangGeneral parameter at all, that is

--
Owen Jenkins
oj@healthbase.com.au

oj4367 (49)
12/17/2003 3:02:06 AM
What I mean is that dbLangGeneral should only EVER be used during create.

Are you truly saying that the following code fails:

Dim dbSource As String
Dim dbDest As String

dbSource = "C:\oj\aa\development\DBSource.mdb"
dbDest = "C:\oj\aa\development\DBDest.mdb"

DBEngine.CompactDatabase dbSource, dbDest

How about if you change the last line to:

DAO.DBEngine.CompactDatabase dbSource, dbDest

--

> I'm not sure what you mean that it should be a dbSort constant. And the
problem
> occurs even if I don't include the dbLangGeneral parameter at all, that is
> DBEngine.CompactDatabase dbSource, dbDest.
>
> Owen
>
> "Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]" wrote:
>
> > Or better yet, do not even specify it unless you are trying to change
the
> > collating order of the database.
> >
> > --
> > MichKa [MS]
> > NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development
> > Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with
> > no warranties, and confers no rights.
> >
> > "Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]" <michkap@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:3fdacaa6$1@news.microsoft.com...
> > > This parameter should be one of the dbSort constants, not one of the
> > dbLang
> > > constants (which are to be used only for database creation).
> > >

> > > --
> > > MichKa [MS]
> > > NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development
> > > Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies
> > >
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with
> > > no warranties, and confers no rights.
> > >

> > > "Owen Jenkins" <oj@healthbase.com.au> wrote in message

> > WinXPH/A97/A2000).

> > > following:

> > A2000
> > > on
> > with
> > > only
> > > OK in
> > > it

> > process

> > make
> > problem
XPHome
> > > machine

> > > new
> > > brand
> > > exist.
The
> > > same

> --
> Owen Jenkins
> oj@healthbase.com.au
> HealthBase Data Services
> http://www.healthbase.com.au
> PO Box 714, Randwick, NSW 2031
> Tel & Fax: 61 2 9341 7792

michkap (337)
12/17/2003 1:30:09 PM
I'd love to report success with DAO.DBEngine, but alas, same error.

Yes, the exact code below fails on the last line with error 3001 - Invalid
argument.

The db with the code has only this code in it - no other modules. The dbSource
exists and is empty. The dbDest does not exist. I have references to VBA, Access
8.0 and DAO 3.51. I also have Access 2000 on the same machine, but double
clicking on an mdb file currently opens it in A97. The same setup works in
A2000.

Owen

"Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]" wrote:

> What I mean is that dbLangGeneral should only EVER be used during create.
>
> Are you truly saying that the following code fails:
>
> Dim dbSource As String
> Dim dbDest As String
>
> dbSource = "C:\oj\aa\development\DBSource.mdb"
> dbDest = "C:\oj\aa\development\DBDest.mdb"
>
> DBEngine.CompactDatabase dbSource, dbDest
>
> How about if you change the last line to:
>
> DAO.DBEngine.CompactDatabase dbSource, dbDest
>
> --
> MichKa [MS]
> NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development
> Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with
> no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "Owen Jenkins" <oj@healthbase.com.au> wrote in message
> > I'm not sure what you mean that it should be a dbSort constant. And the
> problem
> > occurs even if I don't include the dbLangGeneral parameter at all, that is
> > DBEngine.CompactDatabase dbSource, dbDest.
> >
> > Owen
> >
> > "Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]" wrote:
> >
> > > Or better yet, do not even specify it unless you are trying to change
> the
> > > collating order of the database.
> > >
> > > --
> > > MichKa [MS]
> > > NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development
> > > Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies
> > >
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with
> > > no warranties, and confers no rights.
> > >
> > > "Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]" <michkap@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > > message news:3fdacaa6$1@news.microsoft.com...
> > > dbLang

> > > WinXPH/A97/A2000).

> > > A2000
> > > with
> works
> machine,

> > > process

> > > make
> > > problem
> XPHome

> following
> to a
> yet
> The

> > --
> > Owen Jenkins
> > oj@healthbase.com.au
> > HealthBase Data Services
> > http://www.healthbase.com.au
> > PO Box 714, Randwick, NSW 2031
> > Tel & Fax: 61 2 9341 7792

Owen Jenkins
oj@healthbase.com.au
HealthBase Data Services
http://www.healthbase.com.au
PO Box 714, Randwick, NSW 2031
Tel & Fax: 61 2 9341 7792

oj4367 (49)

ADO Connection Open fails with error -2147467259 when MS Access database under Source Safe
Immediately after generating the Access application from the Source Safe project I get: "-2147467259 Could not use ''; file already in use." If Access database closed and then reopened I get: "-2147467259 The database has been place in a state by user 'Admin' on machine ..... that prevents it from being opened or locked." This error will then persist - even past a machine reboot and compact and repair of both application db (without source safe removal) and 'server' db. If I remove the Access application from Source Safe the ADO connection opens fine. (Might have to close database and reopen it to get it working the first time after eliminating source safe.) I do not appear to be short on memory. Am using: Access 2003 with sp1 Source Safe 6.0d Windows XP Professional with sp2 Database in Access 2002-2003 format Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.7 Library I have isolated error in test database with just one table and one form. Test1 fails under source safe while Test2 - which avoids use of the offending open command -works regardless of use of source safe. Any illumination on this would be appreciated. I have found the Source Safe & Access combination hard going but I do not want to loose source code control. This issue has undermined my confidence in these tools yet again. Many thanks. GM Option Compare Database Option Explicit Private Sub cmdTest1_Click() On Error GoTo Error_Handler Dim cnn As ADODB.Conne...

Error Writing to MS Access Database with Replication
Greetings, I have a Microsoft Access database that is replicated accross several computers using the built-in Access replication technology. Access replication supports automatically synchronizing updates that have been applied separately to each copy of the database. When replication is enabled in MS Access, a number of "system" columns are added to every table in the database in order to facilitate the synchronization database. Note that these columns are not visible by default within MS Access. I would like to insert new rows into one of the tables in this database using PROC SQL. The statements that I am using to perform this function worked fine before replication was enabled on the database. After replication was enabled, I now receive an error which indicates that SAS is attempting to modify the contents of the replication system columns. SAS should NOT be doing this, as the contents of these columns are automatically maintained by MS Access, and are protected against modification by external applications. The code that I am using, and the error message that I receive are provided below. Can anyone advise of a simple solution to this problem? Perhaps some other option to the libname statement or connect string that I have overlooked...? Thanks, s/KAM 508 %let MJFile=\\Speedy\D\Program Files\MJ Systems \LogSleuth2\Database\LogSleuth.mdb; <snip> 525 libname MJ ODBC noprompt="uid=admin;pwd=&MJPW;dsn=MS Access Database;DBQ=&MJ...

makemap: error opening type hash map access: Invalid argument
i'm installing a new machine, and i ran into something that i haven't seen before, any help and pointers appreciated; let me know if more info is needed OS: linux sendmail-8.14.3 and db-4.8.24 (both compiled from source) # makemap hash access < access access.db: Invalid type 5 specified makemap: error opening type hash map access: Invalid argument # makemap -l hash btree # ldd /usr/local/sbin/makemap linux-gate.so.1 => (0xb77b8000) libdb-4.8.so => /usr/local/lib/libdb-4.8.so (0xb7644000) libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.s...

3146 Error, and Invalid Argument Value error
I have recently upsized a client database to SQL Server. The application is used to book people onto courses at a Conference Centre/Adult Study Centre. It was originally an Access FE/BE, all written by my client. While it's not bad as an "amateur" database, it has all the expected failings of the inexperienced developer (poor table design, queries operating on whole tables, macros running hither and yon mixed with code etc.) The FE resides on a server, and all users (about four or five at most) connect to it. The BE resides on a different server. Recently, the users have been getting intermittent ODBC error messages - mostly 3146 ODBC Call Failed, but also ODBC Call Failed [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid Argument Value (#0) What makes this very difficult to diagnose is that the errors are not persistent. Yesterday, for example, certain processes threw 3146 errors constantly. Today, the same processes run without problems. What I would REALLY like to do is to rationalise/normalise the data design, move ALL the macros to code and redesign all the queries. Sadly their budget is very limited. Does anyone have any ideas about how to resolve the immediate, intermittent problem? Many thanks Edward you should have upsized to ADP instead of linked front end. Jet doesn't give concise, clear reliable error messages. Only through cutting out the Jet _BS_ can you get to the root of the problem. On Dec 9, 1:26=A0am, teddysn...@hotmail.com wrote:...

Exporting From Access to a Dbase iV. via Object. Fails with error The Microsoft Jet Database engine could not find the object
Hi, I've a VB script that creates a Access object in a word doc. Here is the full script. It works for all but the Export. Which always fails with a 3011 error. If I do the same in Access as a straight Macro or script it works. Add it as an object and it won't work. HELP. Sub Sub1() Dim ACC As Variant Dim AccFileName, TableName As String Set ACC = CreateObject("Access.Application") AccFileName = "G:\Current_copy\ccdata.mdb" TableName = "OUTLETSERVIC" ACC.OpenCurrentDatabase (AccFileName) ' Delete Records - works well ACC.DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE * FROM OUTLETSERVIC WHERE ID <>"""";", 0 ACC.DoCmd.Close acTable, TableName ' End delete 'Import Records - works well ACC.DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim, "OUTLETSERVICE_csv_gz Import Specification", TableName, "G:\Working Files\OUTLETSERVICE.txt", True, "" ACC.DoCmd.Close acTable, TableName 'End Import ' ########################################################################## ' This is the bit the stuff up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 'Export to DBF - fails with error The Microsoft Jet Database engine could not find the object OUTLETSERVIC ACC.DoCmd.TransferDatabase acExport, "dBase IV", "G:\Working Files\", acTable, "OUTLETSERVIC", "G:\Working Files", False ACC.DoCmd.Close acTable, TableName 'E...

vacuumdb: vacuuming of database "testdonors" failed: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 3221225472
Hello, Using community PostgreSQL 7.4.2 I have tried to vacuum this database to no avail. Everytime I try I get this referenced errror. I even dumped and restored to a new database an get the same error. I was also able to reindex the database but no help there. Not much to say on google... Databaes is about 50 megs of mostly text. Less than 5 megs in large objects. Hardware/OS is: Dual Athlon MP 2800 3 Gig ECC Ram 3Ware Hardware Raid 7 SATA Drives in a RAID 10 (1 hot spare). Fedora Core 1 Any thoughts? Sincerely, Joshua D. Drake -- Command Prompt, Inc., ...

Access project database
Why isn't a database created on the MSDE?? Network: Two Win2K Pro machines connected as peers. (No domains.) MS Access is on X, MSDE2000A is on H. MS Access is run under: Windows Administrator. MSDE is set for Windows Authentication only. On using the Microsoft SQL Server Database Wizard to create an Access project, I don't specify a usename or password. After the wizard says it has the info it needs, it closes and a progress bar appears for a only a split second as the wizard tries to create the database. Indications are that the connections to the MSDE was dropped during creation. The result is that no database is created in the MSDE. Does Windows Authentication work on a peer-to-peer network?? Shouldn't the X Administrator be able to create a database on the H MSDE?? Lou Arnold ...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide me with a list to start researching. Thanks, Joe There used to be other third-party report writers, but I don't know how many have survived over the years -- Crystal Reports appears to have been the most popular of these packages. (It is the only one that I have observed closely in use, and I saw some impressive work done with it on web applications against SQL Server.) Unless the magnitude of the distributable would be a problem, you can create your reports in Access, and distribute the Access application to run them with Access' runtime support. You'll get the Access runtime support in the Office Developer Edition for Access 97 - 2002, and in the Visual Studio.NET Tools for Office 2003 System for Access 2003. If you have difficulties with deployment using only the Packaging and Distribution Wizard, you can use a third-party installer such as Wise InstallMaster or Instal...

Access 2002 fails on Access 2000 Query
We are having a problem with Access 2002 as opposed to Access 2000. A multi-file query was set up under 2000 and tested good. Access is connected through a link to an Oracle 9.1 database.It was installed in remote client machines working with Access2000 and it worked fine. When the query was put on an Access2002 machine, it came up with "ORA-01017 invalid logon/password", and fails. The failing machine passes other operations with the same Oracle database. Any help is appreciated. Chris ...

Web resources about - CompactDatabase fails with Invalid Argument error - comp.databases.ms-access