Comparing tables in MS Access

Hi,

I am not really familiar with MS ACCESS.  However, I am trying to make
some reports where you compare current data from a table with old data
from the same table.  What I'm saying is we have a database with
current data, and the same database with old data.

I need to create reports for new rows inserted, deleted rows, and
updates rows.  I'm having trouble figuring how to query which rows
have been updated (meaning the primary key(s) are the same, but other
attributes of the row have been modified).

Can someone please help?

Bung
0
bung (2)

bung@telusplanet.net (Bung) wrote in message news:<b847a0c.0408051302.2cf7fc17@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I am not really familiar with MS ACCESS.  However, I am trying to make
> some reports where you compare current data from a table with old data
> from the same table.  What I'm saying is we have a database with
> current data, and the same database with old data.
>
> I need to create reports for new rows inserted, deleted rows, and
> updates rows.  I'm having trouble figuring how to query which rows
> have been updated (meaning the primary key(s) are the same, but other
> attributes of the row have been modified).
>
> Can someone please help?
>
> Bung

Short answer: you can't.  There's no transaction log in Access like
there is in SQL server.  You can force your users to modify data
through a form and then use form events to log the changes.  See Allen
Browne's AuditLog code on his website.
0
pietlinden (2926)
8/6/2004 2:30:10 AM
Bung ,
Without the specifics try this:

Table 1
id, field2, field3

Table 2
id, field2, field3

create a query using the Query Builder, use both tables and link them
together by ID. (I assume you know how to do this bit), select field2
and field3 from Table 1 and drop them into the fields area of the
query builder.
in the first row of the criteria on field2 type:
<>[Table 2].field2
on the next row of the criteria on field3 type:
<>[table 2].field3

repeat this process for each field moving to the next row of the
criteria.

This creates the following sql

SELECT [Table 1].id, [Table 1].field2, [Table 1].field3
FROM [Table 1] INNER JOIN [Table 2] ON [Table 1].id = [Table 2].id
WHERE ((([Table 1].field2)<>[Table 2].[field2])) OR ((([Table
1].field3)<>[Table 2].[field3]));

To see how this works, try creating two tables (Table 1 and Table 2)
with the three fields and make the values in the non key fields
different.  Run the query and see what happens.  Try adding a field to
each table and adding them to the query.  You should see how you can
do this for as many fields as you need.

Hope this helps

:)

bung@telusplanet.net (Bung) wrote in message news:<b847a0c.0408051302.2cf7fc17@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I am not really familiar with MS ACCESS.  However, I am trying to make
> some reports where you compare current data from a table with old data
> from the same table.  What I'm saying is we have a database with
> current data, and the same database with old data.
>
> I need to create reports for new rows inserted, deleted rows, and
> updates rows.  I'm having trouble figuring how to query which rows
> have been updated (meaning the primary key(s) are the same, but other
> attributes of the row have been modified).
>
> Can someone please help?
>
> Bung
0
westmj (50)

Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access
How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to work. I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: select id from emp I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a book or website, would be greatly appreciated! berj Yes, I do have the table links working. But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number off of a sequence. As in: select test.nextval from dual; Where "test" is the name of an Oracle sequence. berj "Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:bp0821lsd8tt5ec5jhvtgbt46fdvb2t3dt@4ax.com... > The easiest way is to link the table in Access, then query the link. Is that > how you're trying to do it? > > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:25:36 -0800, "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote: > > >How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to > >work. > > > >I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. > > > > > >What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: > > > >select id from emp > > > > > >I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. > > > > > >Any help in how to get this done, or pointing ...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

MS Access VBA making multiple tables in database from a main table.
I have a database table called "tbl_personal" and struggling to VBA program a bit of code to create multiple tables in a database from the main "tbl_personal" table. In this case the 'color' column is the field I would like to look at. 1. Identify the number of unique records in column 'color' 2. For each color record that is label as red in the "tbl_personal" table, create a table called 'red' and populate with all red records in from the "tbl_personal" table. 3.Then move onto the next unique color and repeat the whole process again. 4. When all unique color tables are created in MS Access database end with a msg "batch process done" name surname age color country aa aaa 1 red UK bb bbb 10 green USA cc ccc 20 blue China dd ddd 30 red Germany ee eee 40 green France ff fff 1 blue Italy gg ggg 20 red Spain hh hhh 40 yellow Canada ii iii 34 black Italy =85 Is this doable automatically in MS Access? Many thanks. brenda Are you sure you want to do this? I would expect 3 tables vis: Table of Personel with PersonelID, Suname, FirstName, ColourID, CountryID & DateOfBirth (Age will be out of date next birthday and should be calculated), Table of Colours ColourID & Colour Table of Countries CountryID & Country. You can then use simple queries to return all the red people or people who live in UK. Am I missing something? Phil <bbcdancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:495c4ca6...

How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
Dear all, I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know when they were created and/or modified. The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, but I have not managed to read it from SAS. (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. Regards Dietrich -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name
i am not sure if SAS will support long file name if you use libname. a workaround is to use passthrough. On Jan 16, 2008 12:31 PM, JKamgang@Yahoo.com <JBKamgang@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > > > > Happy New Year , > > > > Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS > Access > table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 > databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I > don't want to rename manually the table names. > > > > Please find the program below. > > > > Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, > > > > Jean Baptiste > > > > The program: > > - - - > > > > options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ; > > libname DBsource access 'S:\Data > Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 > Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; > > /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > > > data* pedResultadd ; > > set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = > > testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text > > ); > * > > run*; > > - - - The log - - > > 1636 > > 1637 /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > 1638 > > 1639 data pedResultadd ; > > 1640 set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional...

Re: How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
The answer is given here: Problem Note 7495: No read permission on System Tables when using SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC with a Microsoft Access ODBC Driver http://support.sas.com/kb/7/495.html Regards Dietrich Dietrich Alte schrieb: > Dear all, > > I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know > when they were created and/or modified. > The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, > but I have not managed to read it from SAS. > (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) > --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? > I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. > > Regards > > Dietrich > -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name #2
Hi Jean, It looks like your problem is that you've got a quote in a table name: Additional'n=20 If it is possible to rename that table, that might work. =20 Also, if you use the import feature in SAS, it will write code for you = that you can save and put in a program- you might try that to see if it = can handle this kind of file name. I'd rename the table in Access, = though- a quote in a table name is likely to contiously cause you = problems. -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: JKamgang@Yahoo.com=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:31 AM Subject: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name = which has more than 32 characters? Dear All, Happy New Year , Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I don't want to rename manually the table names. Please find the program below. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, Jean Baptiste The program: - - - options VALIDVARNAME=3DANY ; libname DBsource access 'S:\Data Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ data* pedResultadd ; set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTest...

How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters?
Dear All, Happy New Year , Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I don't want to rename manually the table names. Please find the program below. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, Jean Baptiste The program: - - - options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ; libname DBsource access 'S:\Data Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ data* pedResultadd ; set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text ); * run*; - - - The log - - 1636 1637 /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ 1638 1639 data pedResultadd ; 1640 set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = --------------------------------------------- 211 ERROR 211-185: Invalid data set name. 1641 1642 testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text 1643 ); Jean Baptiste, --- Jean Baptiste KAMGANG, Lead Data Manager - CDC Cameroon US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Mutengene, SouthWest Province Cameroon, Africa E mail: JBKamgang@cm.cdc.gov. Tel: + 237 3 335 1690 Fax: + 237 3 335 1692 Cell: + 237 9 984 79 14 --- .. Ca...

Web resources about - Comparing tables in MS Access - comp.databases.ms-access

Forbes.com Removes Post Comparing Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg To Kim Polese
... Officer Mark Zuckerberg ) as Silicon Valley’s new It girl. That was one thing, and a fine thing. But when the article went beyond, comparing ...

Comparing Tech Companies by Revenue and Profit Per Employee, 2015
Two tweets from Dustin Curtis that tell a big story.

KidZilla - Counting, Comparing, Matching and Rhyming Fun for Kids! on the App Store on iTunes
Get KidZilla - Counting, Comparing, Matching and Rhyming Fun for Kids! on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Comparing Satellites
jurvetson posted a photo: "This is our satellite here…. It has 10x the resolution of the big satellite there with one thousandth of the mass" ...

CNN Reporter OWNED For Comparing Cruise Experience To Katrina: We're On A Freaking Cruise Ship - YouTube ...
owned cnn comparing cruise katrina - CNN Reporter Smacked Down For Comparing Passenger's Experience To Katrina: 'We're On A Freaking Cruise Ship'. ...

Comparing Approval Ratings From Different Polling Firms - Rasmussen Reports™
Rasmussen Reports - The best place to look for polls that are spot on

Getting around Dubai: Comparing costs with other parts of the world
The reporters tasked with determining the best way to get from one end of Dubai to the other wanted to not only compare the costs with other ...

Menu comparing PM to quail an in-house joke, says restaurant owner
The menu that compared Julia Gillard's body to a cooked quail has been labelled an “in-house” joke by the owner of the Brisbane restaurant that ...

Lena Dunham criticised for comparing her Jewish boyfriend to her dog
... titled, 'Dog or Jewish Boyfriend? A Quiz', she asks readers to compare the similarities. Girls actor Lena Dunham has been criticised for comparing ...

Snapped: Comparing Nokia Lumia 1020, Samsung GS4 and HTC One camera quality
Nokia's brand-new Lumia 1020 Windows Phone packs one of the most unique phone cameras on the market today. Carl Zeiss Tessar lens; 41MP (forty-one-megapixel) ...