Conversion: Access 2000 to Access 2003

All 12 of my department's machines are being converted next week from
Windows 2000/Office 2000 to Windows XP/Office 2003.  I have downloaded
the Migration document from Microsoft for distribution but would like
your input regarding Access as many of our group use it.

I am concerned especially about linking to other Access databases.  And
about connecting to Dbo data.  We also regularly connect to and from
Excel files.

All of our databases are rather small, and we do not share many, so SQL
Server is not an issue.

Looking forward to hearing your insight.

0
koplend (7)

As Lyle and David can attest to, I've had a bad deal with Office 2003
on Windows XP. For whatever reason, Access 2003 imported about 5 times
as many records as it was supposed to when working with ONE query only.
No other queries displayed this problem. It seems to have something to
do with Access' interaction with dBASE IV files. I don't know if this
problem exists when using other types of external files.

In a nutshell, it seems to me that you will probably have a number of
problems at first, but you will eventually find them all and either be
able to fix them or create workarounds for them.

0
theonesteve (203)
12/8/2005 8:15:37 PM
"Deb" <koplend@swbell.net> wrote in

> All 12 of my department's machines are being converted next week
> from Windows 2000/Office 2000 to Windows XP/Office 2003.  I have
> downloaded the Migration document from Microsoft for distribution
> but would like your input regarding Access as many of our group
> use it.
>
> I am concerned especially about linking to other Access databases.
>  And about connecting to Dbo data.  We also regularly connect to
> and from Excel files.
>
> All of our databases are rather small, and we do not share many,
> so SQL Server is not an issue.
>
> Looking forward to hearing your insight.

I've never had a single A2K application that didn't run problem-free
in A2K3, without any conversion or any adjustements to code or
anything else.

I don't know what you mean by "Dbo" data, though.

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
0
dXXXfenton (2542)

View Access 2003 database in Access 2000
How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? rahulghai12@gmail.com wrote: > How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? > look here http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HP051863711033.aspx ...

Accessing Access

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Access 2000 vs. Access 2003
Is it possible to develop an Access app in Access 2003 that will run on Access 2000? Is it just a matter of selecting "Access 2000" from the Default File Format drop down list on the Advanced Tab of the Options dialog? I need to do some quick work for a client that runs Access 2000 and I've only been doing working on 2002/2003 projects since installing Access 2003 on my development workstation. Do I need to install Access 2000 on my development workstation? I assume 2000 and 2003 will co-exist without any issues. Thanks in advance. deko wrote: > Is it possible to deve...

Access 2003 macros in Access 2000
Hey, I created a database in Access 2003 (I didnt convert it to Access 2002-2003 format) with marcos and code. Now I need to run this database on a computer with Office 2000. I can open my database but can't run any of the macros. Is there anything can be done here except installing Access 2003? Your help will be very appreciated! San wrote: > Hey, > > I created a database in Access 2003 (I didnt convert it to Access > 2002-2003 format) with marcos and code. Now I need to run this database > on a computer with Office 2000. I can open my database but can't run > any of the macros. Is there anything can be done here except installing > Access 2003? Your help will be very appreciated! You could try to create a new empty 2000 database window in the 2000 office workstation and then try to import the objects from the other access database you are trying to open. ...

Conversion from Access 97 to Access 2000
I know little about Access. I have a program that produces school reports written in Access 97. When I try to run it in Access 2000 I keep getting the following error message - Compile error: Ambiguous name detected: Command4_Click When the debugger starts the following line is highlighted - Private Sub Command4 Click Can anyone assist with this problem Thanking you Don Nethercott Don, Open your form in design view then click on the Code button in the toolbar at the top of the screen. It's the only colored button and is at the left of the Properties button. This opens the code module behind your form. Look down through the subroutines there. You have two subroutines that begin with Private Sub Command4 Click. One of them needs to be deleted. -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "Don Nethercott" <nethercott@kooee.com.au> wrote in message news:40bc6c3f_1@news.iprimus.com.au... > I know little about Access. I have a program that produces school reports > written in Access 97. When I try to run it in Access 2000 I keep getting the > following error message - > Compile error: Ambiguous name detected: Command4_Click > When the debugger starts the following line is highlighted - > Private Sub Command4 Click > > Can anyone assist with this pro...

Read-Only ODBC Access to MS Access 2000
I have created an ODBC File DSN data source in Windows XP. I have successfully used this DSN to link tables from a Sybase SQL Anywhere database to Access 2000. How can you make this ODBC connection read-only? P.S. I would like to make the ODBC connection itself read-only (if possible) rather than adding security to the MS Access DB. ...

Access 97 to Access 2003
My client has an Access 97 app which contains details (fields) some in English and some in Arabic. On opening the database with Access 2003 (which it offers to convert & I accept), the data in the tables in English is fine ... but the fields containing Arabic are filled with some garbage & spurious characters. I've encountered this with 2 different clients with the same problem ! Does anyone know what the problem is and how to provide a workaround ? And .. oh yes !! Both, the Access 97 & Access 2003 versions were Arabic enabled. Best Rgds, Prakash. If you create a blank A2003 database and import the tables from A97 do you see the same problems? What about linking from A2003 to A97? Just trying to get an idea of the scope - convert can sometimes make assumptions that import or link won't. Good luck, Tim On Jun 10, 4:58=A0am, prakashwadhw...@gmail.com wrote: > My client has an Access 97 app which contains details (fields) some in > English and some in Arabic. > > On opening the database with Access 2003 (which it offers to convert & > I accept), the data in the tables in English is fine ... but the > fields containing Arabic are filled with some garbage & spurious > characters. > > I've encountered this with 2 different clients with the same problem ! > > Does anyone know what the problem is and how to provide a workaround ? > > And .. oh yes !! =A0Both, the Access 97 & Access 2003 versions w...

Conversion from Access 97 to Access 2000 (or XP)
I'm having difficulty converting form 97 to 2000. Tables take forever to open in design mode (queries, too). I have heard that if I build form scratch instead of convert that the problem goes away. Anybody figure this one out? "Ken Abbott" <abbottk@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message news:ad4fa493.0310011007.73107d36@posting.google.com... > I'm having difficulty converting form 97 to 2000. Tables take forever > to open in design mode (queries, too). I have heard that if I build > form scratch instead of convert that the problem goes away. Anybody > fig...

Access 97 to Access 2003 conversion problem !
I have just been asked to port an Access 97 app from an old Pentium 3 to a new Pentium Core-2-Duo PC. On the new PC, Office 2003 is installed. On opening the database, Access provided me with an option to convert the database which I did. However, there are a couple of small issues. For one, there were a couple of conversion errors which it stored in a conversion errors table (saying it could not find the field "description"). Secondly, and this is my main problem ... When I click on a button in the old Acc97 app it used to work fine, however in Acc2003 it says "The command or action 'SaveRecord' isn't available now". Here is the sub where it occurs: Private Sub Cash_RV_Preview_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Cash_RV_Preview_Click [RVHAMT] = [Receipt Voucher Sub Form].[Form]![PAYABLE AMT] [RVHDIS] = [Receipt Voucher Sub Form].[Form]![TOTAL DISCOUNT] DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70 Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "Receipt Voucher Printing Cash" DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview Exit_Cash_RV_Preview_Click: Exit Sub Err_Cash_RV_Preview_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Cash_RV_Preview_Click End Sub On checking the Menu Bar I saw the action "Save Record Shift+Enter" is grayed out & not available in the Acc2003 app. However, when checking it under Access 97 on the other PC, the option Save Record is available. Could someon...

Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003
Hi All, Our company is migrating from Windows NT to XP and in the process from Access 97 to Access 2003. Due to the phased rollout we are faced with a situation where some users are still on NT while others have been fully upgraded, but all users need to use the same Access databases. At first we tried just opening the Access 97 databases with XP but we were worried that some of the less computer-literate employees may click "yes" on the "Do you want to convert this database to the latest version" prompt. The solution we have come up with is to create an exact duplicate of...

Corruption Manifests In Access 2000 But Not In Access 2003
Can anyone cast any light on the following. I have a database that I have written in Access 2003 using 2000 file format. Everything was working OK when running it under Access 2003 but when I tried running it under Access 2000 if fell over when I tried to open some of the reports. I then tried opening it in Access 2003 again and it brought up the message about saving a copy and repairing - but it wouldn't repair. I then decompiled, compacted and recompiled and it would run fine under both versions of Access with no problems. However after doing some changes using Access 2003 the same p...

Access 97 to Access 2003 conversion problem with Reports !
I just converted an Access 97 application to Access 2003 & most things work fine but in approximately 12 to 15 reports I have noticed that although the page orientation is landscape, the preview and print portrays it as slightly wider than portrait. I have combed through all the settings, high and low - no problems. What's really weird though is that on some PC's eg another PC of mine with WIn-XP Media Edition SP2 & Office 2003 it shows up fine. Also on my Laptop Vista + Off 2003 it's ok. However on 3 to 4 other PC's XP-Pro + Office 2003 this problem occurs. I've applied all the Office Service Packs upto SP3 ... still no result. The only thing I can think off is that on both my Win-XP Media Centre PC & Laptop ... I don't have any printers installed which defaults to MS off document writer or FAX as my default printer. OK ... I just did some testing ... when I change the default printer to : MS office document image writer, the page now shows perfectly in preview. However when I change the default printer to any other printer eg. Epson dot matrix of HP inkjet, the page width shows up weirdly. I did manually create a fresh report & copy/pasted object by object from 1 report to another. That did work. But, if i copied an entire section of a report ... then too the problem occurs. Does any of this make any sense ? Has anyone ever faced this ? Best Rgds, Prakash. ...

A Query Expression That Works in Access 2000 But Not In Access 2003
I have the following query expression - Like Format(([Forms]![frmRunReports]![mm])) & "/*/" & ([Forms]! [frmRunReports]![yyyy]) which would translate to e.g. 04/*/2007 if someone is running a report for last month. The above expression is part of a Where clause for a date field. It works fine in Access 2000 and pulls out the appropriate # of records but in Access 2003, this expression (apparently) evaluates differently and no records are extracted. Is this an area that might've changed between Access 2000 and Access 2003 or ? Thanks for any suggestions and/or pointing me in the right direction. Sheldon Potolsky I wanted to add one more thing. The above behavior that I observed (see previous append) occurred on another user's PC running Access 2003. I just tried it from my PC running Access 2003 and it worked fine. This now leads me to think there may be a setting that I need to look for as opposed to a change in how Access 2000 and 2003 would evaluate the expression: Like Format(([Forms]![frmRunReports]![mm])) & "/*/" & ([Forms]! [frmRunReports]![yyyy]) Sheldon Potolsky As you found, the expression is unreliable. It performs string matching on a Date/Time field, which could fail if: a) the user has different date settings than you intend, or b) JET misunderstands the data type of the parameters in the query. Assuming that you have this criteria under a Date/Time type field in your query, you need to get an expression t...

Web resources about - Conversion: Access 2000 to Access 2003 - comp.databases.ms-access