Conversion from Access 97 to Access 2000 (or XP)

I'm having difficulty converting form 97 to 2000.  Tables take forever
to open in design mode (queries, too).  I have heard that if I build
form scratch instead of convert that the problem goes away.  Anybody
figure this one out?
0
abbottk (1)

"Ken Abbott" <abbottk@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message
> I'm having difficulty converting form 97 to 2000.  Tables take forever
> to open in design mode (queries, too).  I have heard that if I build
> form scratch instead of convert that the problem goes away.  Anybody
> figure this one out?

If the tables are linked tables, try deleting them from the front end and
re-attaching them.  I have found this to help where simply refreshing the
backend location caused the tables to open slowly.

In the backend (real) tables, make sure you turn off SubDatasheetName from
the design view.

Also when going from 97 to 2000, there may be confusion / conflict with
object libraries (DAO / ADO).  Do make sure your database can compile
without errors - if the code is uncompiled this will adversly affect speed.

HTH

Fletcher

0
fletch1886 (324)
10/1/2003 10:57:53 PM
abbottk@post.harvard.edu (Ken Abbott) wrote in message news:<ad4fa493.0310011007.73107d36@posting.google.com>...
> I'm having difficulty converting form 97 to 2000.  Tables take forever
> to open in design mode (queries, too).  I have heard that if I build
> form scratch instead of convert that the problem goes away.  Anybody
> figure this one out?

You should be able to open it in 2000 and XP with no problem after it
converts. No doubt you will have to make some minor changes to some
reports and code. If you want send a zipped copy (97 version) to me,
so I can convert it up and see whats happening.

John
jrgordon@ureach.com
0
jrgordon (2)

conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000
hi access gurus would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to be expected and how to handle it. also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, update and delete. thanx in advance, regards bala balkiicbe@yahoo.com (bala) wrote in message news:<b62a781b.0310080544.6d2a08fc@posting.google.com>... > hi access gurus > > would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms > access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to > be expected and how to handle it. > > also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms > access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, > update and delete. > > thanx in advance, > > regards > bala About the only thing that's seriously different when you upgrade from 97 to 2000 is that if you have any code behind your forms, 97 uses DAO and 2000 uses ADO, so the ADO library is registered by default in 2000. You'll just have to unregister it and register DAo 3.6 instead. Access should do the conversion for you... hi Pieter thanx for the information, well have used ADO in ms access 97 so i think the conversion shouldn't be a problem. take care and best of luck regards bala ...

Conversion from Access 97 to Access 2000
I know little about Access. I have a program that produces school reports written in Access 97. When I try to run it in Access 2000 I keep getting the following error message - Compile error: Ambiguous name detected: Command4_Click When the debugger starts the following line is highlighted - Private Sub Command4 Click Can anyone assist with this problem Thanking you Don Nethercott Don, Open your form in design view then click on the Code button in the toolbar at the top of the screen. It's the only colored button and is at the left of the Properties button. This opens the code module behind your form. Look down through the subroutines there. You have two subroutines that begin with Private Sub Command4 Click. One of them needs to be deleted. -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "Don Nethercott" <nethercott@kooee.com.au> wrote in message news:40bc6c3f_1@news.iprimus.com.au... > I know little about Access. I have a program that produces school reports > written in Access 97. When I try to run it in Access 2000 I keep getting the > following error message - > Compile error: Ambiguous name detected: Command4_Click > When the debugger starts the following line is highlighted - > Private Sub Command4 Click > > Can anyone assist with this pro...

Access 97 to XP Access Conversion Error
I recently created a new database in Access 2002. I took data from an access 97 database converted one of the tables to access 2002 and then imported it into a new table in access 2002. but for some strange reason, every once in a while the data changes to Japanese characters, it only happens once in a while, but once it happens that record is lost. i have tried everything compacting, importing to a new database, new table...What is causing this strange behavior? Mitchell Thomas wrote: > I recently created a new database in Access 2002. I took data from an > access 97 database converted one of the tables to access 2002 and then > imported it into a new table in access 2002. but for some strange > reason, every once in a while the data changes to Japanese characters, > it only happens once in a while, but once it happens that record is > lost. i have tried everything compacting, importing to a new > database, new table...What is causing this strange behavior? Is it possible someone is changing the character set in your office? Joe Fallon wrote back in 1999 I was installing some new stuff and came across an interesting pprogram that MS stuck in my Start/Programs/MS Office Tools area. (Who ever looks there??) Anyway, it is called MS Office Language Settings. I ran it for kicks and it asks what other language you would like to support. Cyrillic is listed 3 times. Perhaps if you selected this option and THEN converted an mdb you would be OK. You mig...

Access 97 .mdws with Access XP databases
I'm working at a company that is upgrading from Access 97 to 2002. We have a number of '97 databases that are .mdw secured, but in no case has anyone saved the original PIDs and SIDs used to create the security files and accounts. I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97 .mdws with the converted 2002 databases. Are there side effects? I have heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access 2K databases. Any info would be appreciated. "brucedodds2" <bruce.dodds@fmglobal.com> wrote in news:1130179432.172463.288340@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com: > I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97 > .mdws with the converted 2002 databases. Are there side effects? > I have heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access > 2K databases. I haven't seen that, but I've only used that setup very occasionally. Keep in mind that A2K+ MDWs bloat a lot more than A97 ones, so it may be an issue that only looks significant on the surface. -- David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc brucedodds2 <bruce.dodds@fmglobal.com> typed: : I'm working at a company that is upgrading from Access 97 to 2002. We : have a number of '97 databases that are .mdw secured, but in no case : has anyone saved the original PIDs and SIDs used to create the : security file...

From access 97 to access 2000
Hi, My Delphi-application uses an Access 97 database called 'sysmex.mdb'. I'd like to convert this to an Access 2000 database called 'sysmex2000.mdb'. I succeeded in converting this database to the Access 2000-format (done by Access 2000). However, the Delphi application is unable to read the Access 2000 format. These are the values of the Params field of my TDatabase component: DATABASE NAME=C:\Sysmex\Sysmex.mdb LANGDRIVER= OPEN MODE=READ/WRITE SYSTEM DATABASE= PASSWORD= Changing the database name to C:\Sysmex\Sysmex2000.mdb got me the following error: Gen...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Access 97 Database converted to Access 2000
I converted an access97 Database to Access 2K and have discovered that none of the control buttons work. Is there a simple work around ? Thanks Omey The code will not work if your references are incorrect or missing, or if there are compile errors in the code. 1. Press Ctrl+G to open the Immediate window. 2. From the Tools menu, choose References. 3. Ensure check marks beside these libraries only: - Visual Basic for Applications - Microsoft Access 9.0 - Microsoft DAO 3.6 and make sure none of these has the word "MISSING". Close the dialog. 4. From the Debug menu, choose Compile. Fix any error messages you receive, and repeat step 4 until there are no errors. More information about the references: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Omey Samaroo" <nospam@replytogroup.com> wrote in message news:BEsEb.102366$%TO.67748@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com... > I converted an access97 Database to Access 2K and have discovered that none > of the control buttons work. > Is there a simple work around ? Thanks Allen, I can always count on your help, and I remain grateful for all the ideas that you have shared with me in the past. I'll attempt the suggestions and report back if I am still having problems. Happy holidays a...

Accessing Access

conversion access 97 to access 2003
which are the differences between Access 97 and Access 2003 ? See: Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003 at: http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/ser-48.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "helena" <petrouchka-63@caramail.com> wrote in message news:b6222801.0410270323.67b7bbb3@posting.google.com... > which are the differences between Access 97 and Access 2003 ? ...

Access 2000 ----> Access 97
Witam, Mam pytanie dotycz�ce konwersji z access 2000 do 97. Na co mam zwr�ci� uwag� przy projektowaniu bazy w a2k tak , aby docelowo mog�a pracowa� w a97 (np. split itp.) Czy A2000 zawiera du�o ulepsze� (czytaj: bajer�w) , kt�re mog� potencjalnie popsu� konwersj� do A97. Z g�ry dzi�kuj� za odpowiedzi i pozdrawiam, Pawe� Sorry for mischoosing the language version of the newsgroup. U�ytkownik "Pawe� "eGEO.pl"" <biuro@geodezja.biz> napisa� w wiadomo�ci news:cael6m$n9$1@news.onet.pl... > Witam, > > Mam pytanie dotycz�ce konwersji z access 2000 do 97. > > Na co mam zwr�ci� uwag� przy projektowaniu bazy w a2k tak , aby > docelowo mog�a pracowa� w a97 (np. split itp.) > > Czy A2000 zawiera du�o ulepsze� (czytaj: bajer�w) , kt�re mog� > potencjalnie popsu� konwersj� do A97. > > Z g�ry dzi�kuj� za odpowiedzi i pozdrawiam, > > Pawe� > > > ...

migrating from access 97 to access 2000
Hello, What is the best way to do this. I have many off-site locations with access 97 back-end databases. If I wish to go to access 2000, and don't want to manuall upgrade the back ends to access 2000, how do I automate this? If there isn't a way to do this through code, do I need to install to a different folder with a blank 2000 database, and manually import each table's data from the 97 database? Or is there an easier way? Many Thanks, "ARC" <andy@andyc.com> wrote: >What is the best way to do this. I have many off-site locations with access >97 back-end databases. If I wish to go to access 2000, and don't want to >manuall upgrade the back ends to access 2000, how do I automate this? If >there isn't a way to do this through code, do I need to install to a >different folder with a blank 2000 database, and manually import each >table's data from the 97 database? Or is there an easier way? You can programmatically compact a database to a new version. However, according to the A2000 help using the DAO compactdatabase method ". You can compact newdb only to a version that is the same or later than that of olddb." But the ADO compactdatabase method will work to the A2000 version. That said it's no big deal if your users are on A2000 and the BE is in A97. Performance might not be quite as good although I don't have any concrete reasons for saying that. I would strongly urge you to re...

Linking from Access 2000 to Access 97
I have a database that I want to setup both an Access 97 and 2000 front-end to. When I link to the Access 97 database from Access 2000 I can't update/delete/or add data. I can only view it. However, when I link from 97 to 97 it works fine. Is there a way to make this work so that a 2000 front end can fully manipulate the data in a 97 backend? A2000 can have linked tables from an A97 mdb and the data in the tables can be edited, deleted and inserted. There must be something else happening. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Len Svitenko" <its_goodtobethe_king@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6092a26a.0402041637.5453810@posting.google.com... > I have a database that I want to setup both an Access 97 and 2000 > front-end to. When I link to the Access 97 database from Access 2000 > I can't update/delete/or add data. I can only view it. However, when > I link from 97 to 97 it works fine. Is there a way to make this work > so that a 2000 front end can fully manipulate the data in a 97 > backend? ...

Conversion: Access 2000 to Access 2003
All 12 of my department's machines are being converted next week from Windows 2000/Office 2000 to Windows XP/Office 2003. I have downloaded the Migration document from Microsoft for distribution but would like your input regarding Access as many of our group use it. I am concerned especially about linking to other Access databases. And about connecting to Dbo data. We also regularly connect to and from Excel files. All of our databases are rather small, and we do not share many, so SQL Server is not an issue. Looking forward to hearing your insight. As Lyle and David can attest to, I've had a bad deal with Office 2003 on Windows XP. For whatever reason, Access 2003 imported about 5 times as many records as it was supposed to when working with ONE query only. No other queries displayed this problem. It seems to have something to do with Access' interaction with dBASE IV files. I don't know if this problem exists when using other types of external files. In a nutshell, it seems to me that you will probably have a number of problems at first, but you will eventually find them all and either be able to fix them or create workarounds for them. "Deb" <koplend@swbell.net> wrote in news:1134069789.188901.195630@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: > All 12 of my department's machines are being converted next week > from Windows 2000/Office 2000 to Windows XP/Office 2003. I have > downloaded the Migration document from Microsoft for ...

Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000
What are the most important differences between Access 97 and Access 2000? If I look at a book about Access 97, what should I be aware of when I work in Access 2000? Lisa One thing you need to be aware of is that Access 2000 requires a fast machine to get acceptable response times during development. I'm not sure how this works exactly, but I think Access97 saves individual objects as you work on them, whereas Access2000 saves the whole project. This can turn your delightful computer that easily develops Access97 databases into a horrid slow-coach that grinds its way painfully from save to save in Access2000, getting steadily worse as the project gets bigger. I have had to upgrade to a new Pentium IV 1.8 gHz - it flies thru Access2000. Ray -- Access Solutions for College and University Student Administration ETIK - Electronic Tender Issue Kit - Create and Issue tenders electronically and receive the responses electronically when clients use the free Response Kit. Grab! - Uses your PowerPoint files to create presentations on-the-fly for demonstrations, displays, queue distractors, Point-of-Sale information www.bluebridge.com.au Lisa Henkel <lisahenkel@monad.net> wrote in message news:43b0960a.0308150550.9cd15f0@posting.google.com... > What are the most important differences between Access 97 and Access > 2000? If I look at a book about Access 97, what should I be aware of > when I work in Access 2000? > > Lisa lisahenkel@monad.net (Lisa Henkel...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

MS Access reports containing line charts are inaccurate after upgrade from access 97 to 2000
Dear all, I've encountered an unusual problem having just recently upgraded an Access 97 database to Access 2000 format and was hoping somebody could point me in the direction of a solution. 1. The problem: Essentially, a couple of the reports which contain SeriesLine charts are NOT displaying the series-lines (i.e. the results) on the charts correctly in Preview mode or when printed out. However, they ARE displaying the results correctly on the charts when the reports are viewed in DESIGN mode. 2. Background: -I have upgraded the database from Access 97 to 2000 format with very few changes. -The forms and reports are from the original Access 97 database -A few minor mods were made to the VBA code but none of this affects the reports. -I have checked the recordsets used by the charts in both 97 and 2000 versions and the data used is identical. Thus it appears to be something to do with how the chart 'object' is interpreting the recordset. The Access 97 database was using the following references -DAO 3.51. -Microsoft Access 8.0 object library The Access 2000 format db includes the following references -DAO 3.6 -Microsoft Access 8.0 object library Thanks in advance Nick J Sorry, A mistake in my previous post. The Access 2000 format db is using "Microsoft Access 9.0 object library", not 8.0 as previously posted. "NickJ" <johnsonn@unimelb.edu.au> wrote in message news:42df1572$1@news.unimelb.edu.au... &g...

Create Access 97 or Access 2000 runtime application using Office XP Developer Edition
Is it possible to create earlier runtime versions of Access applications using Office XP Developer Edition? Thanks in advance. Maur "Maur" <pksto@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:pLGyb.66$Oe5.51@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net... > Is it possible to create earlier runtime versions of Access > applications using Office XP Developer Edition? No. -- I don't check the Email account attached to this message. Send instead to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com ...

Access 97 Converted to 2000 refuses to work on other PC with Access 2000
Hi I have an Access 2000 database which was written in Access 97 and then converted to Access 2000. However I cannot run the Access database on another PC with just Access 2000. It keeps on complaining as if it is an unconverted database or that I must join the workgroup. No workgroups were set in the original Access 97 PC so how do you know which workgroup to join ? I have tried the Knowledge base articles Q241141 and Q 241230 to no avail. Any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks Jozua ...

No access to .dbf files in access 97 after installing access 2003
Hello, I need to maintain an access97 database that is linked to dbf's, but after having installed access 2003, when I try to link a .dbf file to an access97 database, I only have access and odbc when the dialog box to choose the external table comes up. I tried going to control panel and change my office 97 setup. When I go to the data access option, dbf is grayed out with a checkmark in it and it states that dbf access is already installed. Yet, I don't have access to that option when trying to link my dbf table to the access97 database. Any way to get that option back on? Thanks! ...

Web resources about - Conversion from Access 97 to Access 2000 (or XP) - comp.databases.ms-access

Gene conversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gene conversion is the process by which one DNA sequence replaces a homologous sequence such that the sequences become identical after the conversion ...

Facebook Expanding Access to Conversion Lift Measurement
Facebook launched conversion lift measurement in January 2015 with the goal of helping advertisers track conversions instead of clicks, and the ...

Ex-gay conversion therapy challenged in federal consumer fraud lawsuit
... a federal consumer fraud complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against People Can Change, an organization that practices ex-gay conversion ...

10 Copywriting Tips You Can Use Right Now To Boost Conversion Rates
Writing great content is quite possibly the quickest and most cost-effective way to increase your conversion rates. Great content creates engagement ...

Hail Caesar! The 'other' Roman Centurion conversion movie is a bizarre, self-satisfied mess
Martin Saunders went to see 'Hail Caesar!', and found the whole thing incredibly disappointing.

First Solar Achieves New Conversion Efficiency World Record For CdTe Solar PV Cells
Originally published on Sustainnovate. By Henry Lindon A new conversion efficiency world record for cadmium-telluride solar photovoltaic cells ...

A Response To Jonah Goldberg On His Mistaken Claim Of My Trumpine Conversion
I prefer an economic-growth solution to middle-class angst, not a protectionist program.

What Is the Difference Between the Conversion and Recharacterization of an IRA?
... there are certain rules and tax implications you need to know about. Photo: www.TaxCredits.net . When it comes to IRAs, the terms "conversion" ...

Nanorods Of Photocatalysts Achieve 100% Conversion From Solar Energy To Solar Fuel
Scientists in Israel have developed nanorods of photocataytic material that converts 100% of solar energy into hydrogen gas by reducing the rate ...

TODD STARNES: Students told to write essay on their conversion to Islam
TODD STARNES: Students told to write essay on their conversion to Islam