converting access aplication to access-sql server client-server aplication

Hello!!

I have a problem with moving tables from access to sql server with wizard.
after setting odbc connection there is an error: overflow.
Does anybody know what can couse this problem ????

Thanks in advance,
slawko.
0
spietron (1)

Win2000 Server can access client but client cannot access server files.
Hi We're running 2000 Server feeding 4 PC's and two Macs. Last week I found one PC can no longer access files on the server whereas the server can access any files on that PC. I suppose it's a good sign that it is at least working in one direction. I just need to get it back to working both ways. Though I am very competent with stand alone PCs I'm not very experienced with networks. I'd very grateful of any suggestions regarding settings I should check that would re-connect the link of this PC to the server. If there are any web sites you can recommend for network ne...

Win2000 Server can access client but client cannot access server files.
Hi We're running 2000 Server feeding 4 PC's and two Macs. Last week I found one PC can no longer access files on the server whereas the server can access any files on that PC. I suppose it's a good sign that it is at least working in one direction. I just need to get it back to working both ways. Though I am very competent with stand alone PCs I'm not very experienced with networks. I'd very grateful of any suggestions regarding settings I should check that would re-connect the link of this PC to the server. If there are any web sites you can recommend for network ne...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and database engines are used by big sites such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc, and what are the good database structures for the hosting applications that deal with huge,complex information and large number of users. Thanks a lot, your time and help are highly appreciated. On 13 Sep 2004 18:37:35 -0700, penghao98@hotmail.com (Leon) wrote: I think there is only one instance of Jet running. You can check this using Task Manager. More than likely you don't have to worry about Yahoo et al. They take many orders of magnitude more traffic then yours. One thing for sure: they are not using an Access back-end :-) -Tom. >Hi, > I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access >database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web >applications (same content different copies) running as different >sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database...

MS Access, SQL Server, Web server
Scenario -------- I am planning to write an application using MS Access as front-end. User enters records (mostly 15 records or less per user per day) into an Access database. Having done that, users click a button to transfer these records to a web server hosting an SQL Server database (set up by a service provider). Each record represents a job; provider will update its status when a job is done. At the end of day, user will open up the database to enquire the records status, which will be retrieved from the web server (through HTTP protocol) A service provider will probably have 2000 records/jobs per day, which will be fetched from the web server to its PC for job scheduling purposes. Question -------- Can someone advise me as to how to go about doing this ? I have read a little on WinInet APIs of MS Visual Studio 6, but I am still not sure; eg how to get SQL server to send data to client PC using HTTP. Thanks for your advice. I can't really understand the scenario here. You are going to have to explain this better. 1. Who are the users? What do they do? Are they mobile in that they are not connected to the network when they are working, like traveling salesmen? 2. Who are the service providers? I'm assuming that these are not Internet Service Providers or Application Service Providers, but rather people who work for the company and do things for customers. What kind of jobs do they do? Do they provide their services in places where they h...

Running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server BE on same TS Server
What are the implications of running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server BE on the same Terminal Server? Assuming that the TS can handle the load are there any other issues? Thanks Patrick Patrick Fisher wrote: > What are the implications of running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server > BE on the same Terminal Server? > > Assuming that the TS can handle the load are there any other issues? > Thanks > Patrick You either serve the Access "front end" as a terminal server published application or you just stick an Access "back end" on it in which case the server is nothing more than a file server. Which are you talking about? Certainly in the case of the latter the added load would be minimal. If you plan on installing Access on the server and running Access apps from the server then the added load would be significant as your number of users climb. -- I don't check the Email account attached to this message. Send instead to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com Hello Rick We are talking about a customer who currently runs 4 TSs with load balancing running SQL Server to about 80 users, the data is held on a 5th TS, this system is running a program called scala and works at an acceptable speed accross an ADSL VPN Against my advice they have installed our Access97 Runtime using DFS and BE on one of the TSs, this across the VPN is very slow when Scala users a logged on. They have restricted the Access Runtime to on...

LIBs to access SQL SERVER and ACCESS free
Hi All !!! I'm starting to use the xHarbour and would like to know which libraries to access sql server and Microsoft Access free? simple examples?? etc... Can someone please indicate a greate How-to ! Thank`s Antonio Antonio Better is go for sqlrdd witch you can acess any rdbms Regards Luiz Em quarta-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2013 08h33min11s UTC-3, Antonio Lopes Neto escreveu: > Hi All !!! > > > > I'm starting to use the xHarbour and would like to know which libraries to access sql server and Microsoft Access free? simple examples?? etc... > > Can someone please indicate a greate How-to ! > > > > Thank`s > > > > Antonio Antonio asked about _free_ access... I think that the best choice will be using ODBC directly. Regards, Bozena User <culikr@gmail.com> wrote in news:2e0714af-95e7-4190-873e-6f606706f7c8@googlegroups.com... > Antonio > > Better is go for sqlrdd witch you can acess any rdbms > > Regards > Luiz > > Em quarta-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2013 08h33min11s UTC-3, Antonio Lopes > Neto escreveu: >> Hi All !!! >> >> >> >> I'm starting to use the xHarbour and would like to know which libraries >> to access sql server and Microsoft Access free? simple examples?? etc... >> >> Can someone please indicate a greate How-to ! >> >> >> >...

Running MS Access db as a Linked Server on SQL Server
Hi, Looking for a quick and dirty on running an Access database as a linked server in SQL Server. Basically, the majority of my stuff is in SQL Server, but there is one lingering nightmare-of-an-Access-database no one wants to touch. I just want to create a linked server to use the Access db. So far I have not found a way to connect (under Security -> Link Servers in SQL Server), though I tried all kinds of drivers, connection strings, etc. What do I put for Product Name, Data Source, Provider String, (Location, Catalog)? Thanks a bunch. This might help; note the table about halfway...

insert fails
Hi, I configured a linked server in MS SQL Server v8 pointing to a remote AS/400 DB2 database. I used Client Access ODBC driver (v7), installed it from a Client Access Express v4.5. Select/update/delete seems to be working fine, I just cannot execute an insert statement. Here's the error I'm getting: update as400..U1.TB1 set a = 4 select * from as400..U1.TB1 insert into as400..U1.TB1 ( a ) values (1) ------------------------------------------------------ Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 4 OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. The provider did not give any inf...

MS Access Multiple User access on NT Server
Advice greatly appreciated in in finalising setup for data entry : After splitting mdb should an MDE be stored on each local workstation and the data stored on the server? Should individual user accounts be setup - if so are there any specific requirements to be aware of. Does this eliminate user locking? Are there any other specific requirements necessary before users enter data? Many thanks in advance for any advice received. regards. "Heather" <precisionformat@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:c35cfc38.0308312333.1e812645@posting.google.com... > Advice greatly appreciated in in finalising setup for data entry : > After splitting mdb should an MDE be stored on each local workstation > and the data stored on the server? Yes, the above really does help in the reliability department. Good for you! > Should individual user accounts be setup - if so are there any > specific requirements to be aware of. No, you don't have to, but is not a bad idea. Don't confuse the idea of creating users in ms-access with the issue of creating users on the NT server. (they are two separate issues). You likely do probably have some users setup for the NT server. Setting up ms-access security does not need to be done unless you want to restrict certain users from running reports, or using certain forms. > Does this eliminate user locking? Not sure exactly what you mean by locking. If you mean workstations locking up, that must be eliminated for...

slow access using access 2007 on client/server
Hello all, I had this e-mail today from a user, and would like to get some ideas to pass along. Many thanks, all! Andy " my program is very very slow when more than two people are using the program. The database is installed on a desktop, which is about two years old. I am connecting with a Using Acer note book Intel Pentium-M 760 Processor 2GHz plus 2GB. However, when the database is install on the note book it runs very fast. However, if it's installed on the desktop , then it's painfully slow. Also, I have to ask my collegue to close is program before I can open mine ( the window freeze). I really really like this program and I am thinking of buying two more licenses. However, it make no sense to do that when it's only really works well on the host computer. Also, I am not sure I need to get a new notebook ( mine is single core) or maybe I need dedicated file server. My computer know is kinda limited. I have a one gig router and network card. " On Nov 19, 10:11 pm, "ARC" <PCES...@PCESoft.invalid> wrote: > Hello all, I had this e-mail today from a user, and would like to get some > ideas to pass along. Many thanks, all! Andy > > " my program is very very slow when more than two people are using the > program. The database is installed on a desktop, which is about two years > old. I am connecting with a Using Acer note book Intel Pentium-M 760 > Processor 2GHz plus 2GB. However...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Convert from SQL Server to MS Access (yes that is not a typo)
I have a SQL Server database that is connected to a client server program via ADO. I want this same program to be able to use JET as the database back end (to provide a light alternative that doesn't require a full install of MSDE or SQL Server.) I know that I can't necessarily get a fully automated conversion, but I was wondering what advice group members would have to make this conversion as painless as possible (not to mention keeping the two in sync.) Perhaps there are some tools out there that will break the back of the work? I haven't used JET since 3.5, but I understand that 4.0 has support for stored procedures. It is possible to convert SQL Server stored procedures to JET stored procedures? Thanks for your help. In Access, Views and Procedures are called Queries. You can create queries to some stored procedures (e.g. parameter queries, action queries), but JET does not support everything you can do in stored procedures. Others will need to be reworked to use different functionality, or split into separate queries. If you use the ADOX library, you can list the Procedures separately from the Views in Access code. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. <nde_plume@ziplip.com> wrote in message news:1172808624.788042.13400@30g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I have a SQL Server database that is connected to a c...

Converting MS Access Queries to TSQL in SQL Server
I am attempting to upsize from access to SQL Server. I'm trying to convert my queries to SQL Server views; however, I'm having a lot of difficulty with the syntax differences. For instance, a query with select mid(tblTable.FieldName,1,10)should look something like select substring(tblTable.FieldName,1,10). This is really the simplest of examples. I've tried using the SQL Server Import tool, but it takes the queries and changes them into actual tables in SQL Server. I've attempted to use the upsizing wizard, but I get an OVERFLOW error. Does anyone know of a tool that will convert the MS Access query syntax to SQL Server? OVERFLOW errors are almost always caused by DATE fields that have bad data, say, a date like 2/5/1099. That date is legal in Access, but not in SQL Server. Make sure that all of your dates are valid SQL Server dates before upsizing. From ther SQL Server 7 Books Online: datetime: Date and time data from January 1, 1753, to December 31, 9999, with an accuracy of three-hundredths of a second, or 3.33 milliseconds. smalldatetime: Date and time data from January 1, 1900, through June 6, 2079, with an accuracy of one minute. To play it safe, you should make sure all of your dates are >= 1/1/1900. If you absolutely need dates prior to that, then make sure they're all >= 1/1/1753, and pray the upsize wizard uses datetime. If you need dates prior to that, (maybe your application is tracking composer birth/death dates), then you h...

Converting SQL Server Stored Procedures to MS-Access
Hi, How can I export SQL Server Stored Procedures to MS-Access? Cheers H sollento wrote: > Hi, > How can I export SQL Server Stored Procedures to MS-Access? > > Cheers > > H Open the SQL Server SPROC in Query Analyzer, copy the SQL itself, open a new query in Access, paste in the SQL, making sure that there are no "gotchas" such as SQL Server user-defined functions etc. I know of no way to automate this process, though there may be one. Edward -- The reading group's reading group: http://www.bookgroup.org.uk ...

Re: Accessing legacy data via MS SQL Server linked servers
Chuck, You might talk to MBFoster. They may have a solution for you. Imagesql has odbclink/se but I'm not sure if this will do the job for you. Imagesql is available to 7.0 and 7.5 users. I have found in some cases that MSAccess does a quick job of access legacy data with odbclink/se...(but that is going thur Imagesql). JDBC, java, perl may be another solution. These have classes for image. Hope this helps Cathlene Mc Rae HP Sr Response Center Engineer. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/arc...

Accessing data from an MS access db from an Oracle UNIX server
Hello, I am a newbie to Oracle databases.... We have a visualization front-end tool connected to an Oracle back-end database on a Tru64 UNIX server. We also have clients with MS access databases who would like to share their data using this visualization tool but do not want to import their data into the Oracle server back-end. Is there any way we could use the Oracle backend to query the MS Access databases and merge this data with other data in the Oracle back-end for presentation by the visualization tool? Perhaps through ODBC or some other standard? The Oracle back-end is a a Tru64 UNIX server running Oracle 8i. Any input would be appreciated. Andrea Segovia A/Project Manager Andrea M. Segovia wrote: > Hello, > > I am a newbie to Oracle databases.... > > We have a visualization front-end tool connected to an Oracle back-end > database on a Tru64 UNIX server. We also have clients with MS access > databases who would like to share their data using this visualization > tool but do not want to import their data into the Oracle server > back-end. > > Is there any way we could use the Oracle backend to query the MS > Access databases and merge this data with other data in the Oracle > back-end for presentation by the visualization tool? Perhaps through > ODBC or some other standard? > > The Oracle back-end is a a Tru64 UNIX server running Oracle 8i. > > Any input would be appreciated. > > Andrea Segovi...

Access 2k upgrade to Access 2003 or SQL Server Express?
I'm having a system using Access 2000 as both front-end (queries, forms, reports & temp tables for reports) & back-end (data) with back-end running on the server. The application runs on the network with around 15 users. The back-end database is suffering from performance issues. There were several corruptions since few months & one major corruption & corrupted the MSysObjects table. Also, the system will run batch process that generate hundreds to thousands of records in the transaction table, which caused the transaction table being locked even though users just trying to add new transactions even though the database has been selected to use record-level locking. Furthermore, some queries are very slow as they query the transaction table which has over 1.3 million records. The company has just been covered by the corporate license (as a company of the group) to update all PCs to Office 2003. Is upgrading to Access 2003 help to get the system more stable/reliable? Is Access 2003 not so easy to corrupt? Can we get true record-locking or still suffering from locking pages or even the whole table when adding hundreds of records? As upgrading to SQL Server is not an option at the moment (due to the budget), I'm also looking to the SQL Server Express which is free. But how hard is it to upgrade to SQL Server Express? There are lots of codes using DAO recordset in the application, do I need to change all to ADO? Is the front-end still in .MDB (database) ...

Accessing Access

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

Web resources about - converting access aplication to access-sql server client-server aplication - comp.databases.ms-access

Client/Server Runtime Subsystem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
, is a component of the Windows NT family of operating systems that provides the user mode side of the Win32 subsystem and is included in Windows ...

FTP OnConnect Free - FTP SFTP FTPS FTPES Client ( FTP / Web Server) on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about FTP OnConnect Free - FTP SFTP FTPS FTPES Client ( FTP / Web Server). ...

From client-server to cloud: SaaS evolution
Explaining the ongoing evolution from client-server to cloud-native, source of much confusion and misdirection when comparing SaaS offerings ...

Inventec acquires orders from new server clients for 2H13
Inventec at its investor meeting on May 13 revealed that the company has acquired server orders from a new client for the second half and though ...

KeyLemon Client-Server Architecture Designed for Biometric Apps
The architecture supports Android and iOS, with a back end for Linux and Windows that can be deployed on servers located on a customer’s premise. ...

Fake clouds: The last gasp of client-server
You call that a cloud? I don't think that word means what you think it means

Linux evangelists: Every time you build a client-server app, the Internet dies a little bit
Everyone's bullish about the future of open-source software in the business world at this year's LinuxCon in New Orleans, as IBM announces a ...

Client server database is what?? : WTF
reddit: the front page of the internet

Red Hat CEO announces a shift from client-server to cloud computing
Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols / ZDNet : Red Hat CEO announces a shift from client-server to cloud computing — Summary: In other words, Red Hat is ...

Mobile devices bring back that old client-server feeling
... tempted to point out the language redundancy (any place, anywhere), then you are probably not old enough to remember the birth of client-server ...