Converting SQL Server Stored Procedures to MS-Access

Hi,
How can I export SQL Server Stored Procedures to MS-Access?

Cheers

hani_ar (3)

sollento wrote:
> Hi,
> How can I export SQL Server Stored Procedures to MS-Access?
>
> Cheers

Open the SQL Server SPROC in Query Analyzer, copy the SQL itself, open
a new query in Access, paste in the SQL, making sure that there are no
"gotchas" such as SQL Server user-defined functions etc.  I know of no
way to automate this process, though there may be one.

Edward
--
The reading group's reading group:
http://www.bookgroup.org.uk

0
teddysnips (320)

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you created and the table(s) you need. ...

MS SQL to MS Access Stored Proc. for Deletes
I have this stored procedure below that works great in SQL Server. The sql purges rows out of a table, leaving "x" # of rows in the table ("x" = s.RetainHistoryNum below). Now I need it to run in MS Access. The thing that throws me off is the multiple "from" statements. I have tried a dozen different queries, nothing seems to do the trick. Either I end up with an syntax error, or I end up with inaccurate results. Dan -------------------------------------------------- -Here is the stored proc I need to work in Access ------------------------------------------...

ODBC connection
Hello all! I have such question to all of you. I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing query based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked but imported to MS Access? Can you answer this question? Thank you in advance for posts Marcin from Poland. On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:23:48 +0200, "Kamyk" <marcinzmyslowski@poczta.onet.pl> wrote: >Hello all! > >I have such question to all of you. >I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing >query >based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than >the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked >but >imported to MS Access? > >Can you answer this question? > >Thank you in advance for posts >Marcin from Poland. > That depends on a lot of things... The most obvious thing it depends on is the size of the result set. In a client/server arrangement, you want to keep result sizes down, and do aggregation and filtering on the server. Next, how many people will be sharing the back-end data. Access slows down as soon as 2 people are sharing a JET back-end, but the server won't have this limitation. On the other hand, if the server is too slow, or you're trying to use MSDE with more users than it's optimized for, the server will be slow. There are m...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Converting MS Access Queries to TSQL in SQL Server
I am attempting to upsize from access to SQL Server. I'm trying to convert my queries to SQL Server views; however, I'm having a lot of difficulty with the syntax differences. For instance, a query with select mid(tblTable.FieldName,1,10)should look something like select substring(tblTable.FieldName,1,10). This is really the simplest of examples. I've tried using the SQL Server Import tool, but it takes the queries and changes them into actual tables in SQL Server. I've attempted to use the upsizing wizard, but I get an OVERFLOW error. Does anyone know of a tool that will co...

Convert from SQL Server to MS Access (yes that is not a typo)
I have a SQL Server database that is connected to a client server program via ADO. I want this same program to be able to use JET as the database back end (to provide a light alternative that doesn't require a full install of MSDE or SQL Server.) I know that I can't necessarily get a fully automated conversion, but I was wondering what advice group members would have to make this conversion as painless as possible (not to mention keeping the two in sync.) Perhaps there are some tools out there that will break the back of the work? I haven't used JET since 3.5, but I understand that 4.0 has support for stored procedures. It is possible to convert SQL Server stored procedures to JET stored procedures? Thanks for your help. In Access, Views and Procedures are called Queries. You can create queries to some stored procedures (e.g. parameter queries, action queries), but JET does not support everything you can do in stored procedures. Others will need to be reworked to use different functionality, or split into separate queries. If you use the ADOX library, you can list the Procedures separately from the Views in Access code. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. <nde_plume@ziplip.com> wrote in message news:1172808624.788042.13400@30g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I have a SQL Server database that is connected to a c...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

MS Access, SQL Server, Web server
Scenario -------- I am planning to write an application using MS Access as front-end. User enters records (mostly 15 records or less per user per day) into an Access database. Having done that, users click a button to transfer these records to a web server hosting an SQL Server database (set up by a service provider). Each record represents a job; provider will update its status when a job is done. At the end of day, user will open up the database to enquire the records status, which will be retrieved from the web server (through HTTP protocol) A service provider will probably have 2000 records/jobs per day, which will be fetched from the web server to its PC for job scheduling purposes. Question -------- Can someone advise me as to how to go about doing this ? I have read a little on WinInet APIs of MS Visual Studio 6, but I am still not sure; eg how to get SQL server to send data to client PC using HTTP. Thanks for your advice. I can't really understand the scenario here. You are going to have to explain this better. 1. Who are the users? What do they do? Are they mobile in that they are not connected to the network when they are working, like traveling salesmen? 2. Who are the service providers? I'm assuming that these are not Internet Service Providers or Application Service Providers, but rather people who work for the company and do things for customers. What kind of jobs do they do? Do they provide their services in places where they h...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Need Help Converting MS SQL Server Stored Procedures to DB2
Hi! I'm a newbie at DB2 but have 13 years of SQL Server. I need to convert over 100 SQL Server procs to DB2. I haven't had much luck with the IBM Integration Toolkit and want to avoid ER/win templates. Any suggestions. Thanks. Adam Not sure what toolkit you are referring to have you tried the migration toolkit? http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/migration/mtk/ The toolkit does a fairly good job with a usual conversion rate around 80%-90%. I doubt you will find a toll doing better than that. Given that any tool will deliver an "emulation" of the source ...

Converting SQL Server 2000 query to MS Access 2000 query
Hello! I am trying to convert a query written for SQL Server 2000 database tables, to a MS Access query. Here is what I have in SQL Server: SELECT t2.*, CASE WHEN t2.QType = '3' THEN t1.Note ELSE CASE WHEN t2.QType = '2' THEN CASE WHEN CONVERT(varchar(100), t1.ANumber) = '1' THEN 'Yes' ELSE 'No' END ELSE CASE WHEN CONVERT(varchar(5), t2.Qnumber)+'.' + CONVERT(varchar(5), t1.ANumber) = t2.SubQ THEN 'Selected' ELSE 'Not Selected' END END END AS Client_Response FROM (SELECT * FROM ClientAnswer WHER...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

Running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server BE on same TS Server
What are the implications of running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server BE on the same Terminal Server? Assuming that the TS can handle the load are there any other issues? Thanks Patrick Patrick Fisher wrote: > What are the implications of running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server > BE on the same Terminal Server? > > Assuming that the TS can handle the load are there any other issues? > Thanks > Patrick You either serve the Access "front end" as a terminal server published application or you just stick an Access "back end" on it in which case the server is nothing more than a file server. Which are you talking about? Certainly in the case of the latter the added load would be minimal. If you plan on installing Access on the server and running Access apps from the server then the added load would be significant as your number of users climb. -- I don't check the Email account attached to this message. Send instead to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com Hello Rick We are talking about a customer who currently runs 4 TSs with load balancing running SQL Server to about 80 users, the data is held on a 5th TS, this system is running a program called scala and works at an acceptable speed accross an ADSL VPN Against my advice they have installed our Access97 Runtime using DFS and BE on one of the TSs, this across the VPN is very slow when Scala users a logged on. They have restricted the Access Runtime to on...

storing photos on db
Hi, I need to add photos to my database. Back End is on MS SQL Server (I believe 2000), and Front End is on MS Access. I have read about storing the photos as BLOBS, but I am not sure how to do this with SQL Server. Does this mean store the photo as OLE image, but do something else to it to make it a "Blob"? I have also read about linking to the photo rather than storing it on the db, but I'd be afraid to do that as things get moved around in my organization. What we'd like to do is have a window where user specifies the path the photo is located in (user presses "browse" button), then database imports photo in and stores it. Appreciate any help on this... THANKS! (posting on 2 google groups) "lorirobn" <lorirobn@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1182175311.423546.255780@n60g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I need to add photos to my database. Back End is on MS SQL Server (I > believe 2000), and Front End is on MS Access. > > I have read about storing the photos as BLOBS, but I am not sure how > to do this with SQL Server. Does this mean store the photo as OLE > image, but do something else to it to make it a "Blob"? > > I have also read about linking to the photo rather than storing it on > the db, but I'd be afraid to do that as things get moved around in my > organization. > > What we'd like to do is have a window where user specifies the path > the ...

Too few parameters expected 2 error occurs after migrating "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server"
Hello all I get Too few parameters expected 2 error and "The MS Jet Database engine cannot find the input table or query "myTempTablename". Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly. 3078" after I migrated "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server 2000" and relinked all linked tables. The front-end interface of my application is MS Access 2000. The back-end is MS SQL Server 2000. After I migrated the database and relinked all linked tables, "Too few parameters expected 2" and "input table or query "myTempTablename" 3078" error occurs. I found a article in Microsoft website. The "Too few parameter" error occurs because the limitation of the MS Access ODBC driver. If it is, any solution? Thanks in advance Cheers Bon Hi Bon, If you mean you are getting the error when you are trying to relink the tables through ODBC, then the problem could be - if your table(s) had a memo field, that sql server picked up the memo field as a varchar, and Access is trying to read a text field that exceeds 255 chars. You need to go to Query Analyzer (sql server QA) and run some queries against the offending table to see what the text length is in your varchar fields in the sql server table. And if Sql Server did pick up an Access memo field as a Sql Server Text field, ODBC can't read Sql Server Text fields. If any of the varchar fields exceeds 250 chars (for me I get errors after exceeding 250 cha...

Web resources about - Converting SQL Server Stored Procedures to MS-Access - comp.databases.ms-access

Converting dry air to water: solution to Broken Hill's water crisis gains support
A one-man crusade by a Broken Hill resident to solve the historic town's water crisis by introducing air to water converters is gaining support. ...