Count fields that are not null

Hello all,
I have an Access 2003 database running on an XP network.
I have a subform containing a 28 day roster - shift1 to shift28.
I need to total the shifts for each employee and am unsure of how to
do thid.
Each record has 1 EmployeeNumber, 28 shift fields, and 1 shiftTotal
field and 1 HoursTotal field.
I investigated the Count function but I think this Counts on the basis
of a field (Column) not a Record.
Does anyone have an idea how I should tackle this problem or am I on
the wrong track altogether?
Regards
Kevin

On Mar 19, 11:10 pm, "Kev" <kevin.vaug...@nhw.hume.org.au> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have an Access 2003 database running on an XP network.
> I have a subform containing a 28 day roster - shift1 to shift28.
> I need to total the shifts for each employee and am unsure of how to
> do thid.
> Each record has 1 EmployeeNumber, 28 shift fields, and 1 shiftTotal
> field and 1 HoursTotal field.
> I investigated the Count function but I think this Counts on the basis
> of a field (Column) not a Record.
> Does anyone have an idea how I should tackle this problem or am I on
> the wrong track altogether?
> Regards
> Kevin

I think you want something like sum (iif (shift1, 1, 0).  This assumes
shift1 is boolean of course.   Count won't work as you found out.

0
engles (56)
3/20/2007 6:13:22 AM

> I think you want something like sum (iif (shift1, 1, 0).  This assumes
> shift1 is boolean of course.   Count won't work as you found out.

Hello All,
Unfortunately Eng, Shift1 through to Shift28 are all text, not
boolean.
I still do not understand how your solution would count or sum the
shifts for a record (datasheet row). Isn't your solution summing all
the non nulls for the shift1 field (the column).
Sorry if I'm missing something which I obviously am.
I was thinking of something like the function below in the afterUpdate
event procedure but it seems like a lot of code and processing each
time someone makes a change:
Does anyone know of a more efficient method? I've never used the
Select Case statement before, would this be appropriate or is there a
predefined function for doing this?

Regards
Kevin

Public Function ShiftCounter()
   Dim shiftCount As Long
    shiftCount = 0
    If (IsNull(Shift1)) Then
    Else
    shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
    End If
    If (IsNull(Shift2)) Then
    Else
    shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
    End If
    If (IsNull(Shift3)) Then
    Else
    shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
    End If
    If (IsNull(Shift4)) Then
    Else
    shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
    End If
    If (IsNull(Shift5)) Then
    Else
    shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
    End If
    Me![ShiftTotal] = shiftCount

End Function

On Mar 20, 3:52 pm, "Kev" <kevin.vaug...@nhw.hume.org.au> wrote:
> > I think you want something like sum (iif (shift1, 1, 0).  This assumes
> > shift1 is boolean of course.   Count won't work as you found out.
>
> Hello All,
> Unfortunately Eng, Shift1 through to Shift28 are all text, not
> boolean.
> I still do not understand how your solution would count or sum the
> shifts for a record (datasheet row). Isn't your solution summing all
> the non nulls for the shift1 field (the column).
> Sorry if I'm missing something which I obviously am.
> I was thinking of something like the function below in the afterUpdate
> event procedure but it seems like a lot of code and processing each
> time someone makes a change:
> Does anyone know of a more efficient method? I've never used the
> Select Case statement before, would this be appropriate or is there a
> predefined function for doing this?
>
> Regards
> Kevin
>
> Public Function ShiftCounter()
>    Dim shiftCount As Long
>     shiftCount = 0
>     If (IsNull(Shift1)) Then
>     Else
>     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
>     End If
>     If (IsNull(Shift2)) Then
>     Else
>     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
>     End If
>     If (IsNull(Shift3)) Then
>     Else
>     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
>     End If
>     If (IsNull(Shift4)) Then
>     Else
>     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
>     End If
>     If (IsNull(Shift5)) Then
>     Else
>     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
>     End If
>     Me![ShiftTotal] = shiftCount
>
> End Function

Have you thought about arranging your data differently?  I would have
defined a separate table called "Shift" with field to indicate the
shift in it.  Its foreign key is to the employees table.  The fact
that the record is in the Shift table for the employee means that
employee works that shift. Then you can join and count directly.

0
engles (56)
3/21/2007 5:39:11 AM
On Mar 20, 3:52 pm, "Kev" <kevin.vaug...@nhw.hume.org.au> wrote:
> > I think you want something like sum (iif (shift1, 1, 0).  This assumes
> > shift1 is boolean of course.   Count won't work as you found out.
>
> Hello All,
> Unfortunately Eng, Shift1 through to Shift28 are all text, not
> boolean.
> I still do not understand how your solution would count or sum the
> shifts for a record (datasheet row). Isn't your solution summing all
> the non nulls for the shift1 field (the column).
> Sorry if I'm missing something which I obviously am.
> I was thinking of something like the function below in the afterUpdate
> event procedure but it seems like a lot of code and processing each
> time someone makes a change:
> Does anyone know of a more efficient method? I've never used the
> Select Case statement before, would this be appropriate or is there a
> predefined function for doing this?
>
> Regards
> Kevin
>
> Public Function ShiftCounter()
>    Dim shiftCount As Long
>     shiftCount = 0
>     If (IsNull(Shift1)) Then
>     Else
>     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
>     End If
>     If (IsNull(Shift2)) Then
>     Else
>     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
>     End If
>     If (IsNull(Shift3)) Then
>     Else
>     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
>     End If
>     If (IsNull(Shift4)) Then
>     Else
>     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
>     End If
>     If (IsNull(Shift5)) Then
>     Else
>     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
>     End If
>     Me![ShiftTotal] = shiftCount
>
> End Function

You can put that logic in a query.

shiftCount: iif(isnull(shift1),0,1) + iif (isnull(Shift2), 0, 1) + ...
+ iif (isnull(Shift28),0,1)

0
engles (56)
3/21/2007 8:17:16 AM
On Mar 21, 7:17 pm, eng...@ridesoft.com wrote:
> On Mar 20, 3:52 pm, "Kev" <kevin.vaug...@nhw.hume.org.au> wrote:
>

> > > I think you want something like sum (iif (shift1, 1, 0).  This assumes
> > > shift1 is boolean of course.   Count won't work as you found out.
>
> > Hello All,
> > Unfortunately Eng, Shift1 through to Shift28 are all text, not
> > boolean.
> > I still do not understand how your solution would count or sum the
> > shifts for a record (datasheet row). Isn't your solution summing all
> > the non nulls for the shift1 field (the column).
> > Sorry if I'm missing something which I obviously am.
> > I was thinking of something like the function below in the afterUpdate
> > event procedure but it seems like a lot of code and processing each
> > time someone makes a change:
> > Does anyone know of a more efficient method? I've never used the
> > Select Case statement before, would this be appropriate or is there a
> > predefined function for doing this?
>
> > Regards
> > Kevin
>
> > Public Function ShiftCounter()
> >    Dim shiftCount As Long
> >     shiftCount = 0
> >     If (IsNull(Shift1)) Then
> >     Else
> >     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
> >     End If
> >     If (IsNull(Shift2)) Then
> >     Else
> >     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
> >     End If
> >     If (IsNull(Shift3)) Then
> >     Else
> >     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
> >     End If
> >     If (IsNull(Shift4)) Then
> >     Else
> >     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
> >     End If
> >     If (IsNull(Shift5)) Then
> >     Else
> >     shiftCount = shiftCount + 1
> >     End If
> >     Me![ShiftTotal] = shiftCount
>
> > End Function
>
> You can put that logic in a query.
>
> shiftCount: iif(isnull(shift1),0,1) + iif (isnull(Shift2), 0, 1) + ...
> + iif (isnull(Shift28),0,1)

Thanks Eng,
This works really well and its fast and simple.
Really appreciate it, Thank you
Kevin

How to link fields in MS word document to Access database
Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an access database? What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in an Access database. I also want to later select the document (from a file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields from the database. Of course if there are then any updates I want to put them back into the database. Workable? Anyone with sample code? Bob Alston On Jun 10, 6:21=A0pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an > access database? Hello Bob, Instead of Word documents I use RTF-documents. RTF-documents act just like Word documents in Word. The difference is that RFT-documents are plain text-files, and can easily be processed in Access to find - with the appropriate placeholders - the filled in information. HBInc. > > What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields > word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be > opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in > an Access database. =A0I also want to later select the document (from a > file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields > from the database. =A0Of course if there are then ...

HELP! Retriving field names and properties from MS Access database using ASP
Hi everyone! I have a really frustrating error and need help. I&#8217;m trying to do a function that gets the properties and names of the fields in a MS Access database using ASP. I haven&#8217;t programmed in a while so I&#8217;m quite lost. Once I have the my database structure I will insert the corresponding fields from a web form but the database is huge and I want to be able to change the database and form without changing the ASP code all the time. This is my function that is not working yet. I cant seem to connect properly to the database... Function InsertDataBase() ...

Counting Database Fields
I am trying to build a sortable list of rows pulled from MySQL. I need a programmatic header that would allow sorting of records. Because order in which the fields are displayed might change, I need to learn how to refer to field names programmatically. Thanks! TristaSD wrote: > I am trying to build a sortable list of rows pulled from MySQL. I need > a programmatic header that would allow sorting of records. Because > order in which the fields are displayed might change, I need to learn > how to refer to field names programmatically. > if you do mysql_fetch_assoc() you...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

Web resources about - Count fields that are not null - comp.databases.ms-access

Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Field (computer science) , a smaller piece of data from a larger collection (e.g., database fields) Text is available under the Creative Commons ...

Sally Field on Spider-Man films: Her hilarious frank admission
HOLLYWOOD legend Sally Field has never been afraid of speaking her mind.

Greg Inglis takes bizarre field goal attempt as Souths lose to Dragons
It was a bizarre end to a miserable afternoon for Souths fans.

Greg Inglis takes bizarre field goal attempt as Souths lose to Dragons
It was a bizarre end to a miserable afternoon for Souths fans.

Fox News Looks Forward to Having Michelle Fields Back, Just Not This Week
Michelle Fields has appeared on the Fox News weekend show Cashin’ In for the last couple of years, joining a panel of 3 other guests, moderated ...

Sally Field nailed the failure of the Spider-Man reboot movies in one brutal sentence
... of late as the superhero recently had a surprise appearance in the latest "Captain America: Civil War" trailer . But thanks to Sally Field's ...

St. Viator track and field will rely on depth
St. Viator track and field will rely on depth Chicago Tribune Senior Jacob Bonanotte is one of the area's top 800-meter runners, while seniors ...

Image of Asia: Walking through fields of gold in Kashmir
In this photo by Mukhtar Khan, a Kashmiri man walks through a mustard field during a rainy day on the outskirts of Srinagar in Indian-controlled ...

Sally Field: ‘Donald Trump’ Is Overrated
Sally Field: ‘Donald Trump’ Is Overrated

Insane Soccer Fans In The Congo Rush The Field, Stomp Out Referee
In case you were wondering if the kind of senseless violence against referees so commonly seen in South American and lower-level European soccer ...