Create a custom dialog

In VB6, a custom dialog can be easily created by adding a new form, adding
whatever controls you like, sizing it as you like, adding code and then just
Using Access 07, a form is a little different beast and it would appear a
custom dialog cannot be created in the same way.

How does one go about creating a custom dialog?

Note that I am not well experienced in programming but I have a couple of
books (including 'Access 2007 Inside Out') that I can refer too as well as
the online help that comes with Access.  I don't necessarily need a detailed
answer but at least some general idea of where to look to accomplish the
same effect as is in VB6.

Thanks,

Gord

0
x1gord1x (60)

Gord wrote:
> In VB6, a custom dialog can be easily created by adding a new form,
> adding whatever controls you like, sizing it as you like, adding code
> and then just loading/unloading it whenever you like.
> Using Access 07, a form is a little different beast and it would
> appear a custom dialog cannot be created in the same way.
>
> How does one go about creating a custom dialog?
>
> Note that I am not well experienced in programming but I have a
> couple of books (including 'Access 2007 Inside Out') that I can refer
> too as well as the online help that comes with Access.  I don't
> necessarily need a detailed answer but at least some general idea of
> where to look to accomplish the same effect as is in VB6.

If you open the form with the acDialog option is should work exactly as you
describe.  At least I assume that this would ignore that stupid tabbed form
interface in 2007.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
10/4/2008 6:35:20 PM
Rick,

I'm afraid that stupid tabbed form interface still persists.  Using acDialog
seems to open the form in 'Datasheet' view.

As a small aside, I must also be missing something basic here because no
matter what property settings I play around with in design view on the form,
the form always opens up full size.  In design view, I drag the corner to
make the form quite small, but is still goes full.  In the form properties,
I've played around with 'Auto Resize', 'Fit to screen', 'Auto Center',
'Allow DataSheet View', 'Border Style' (set that one to Dialog), 'Control
Box' etc. etc.  Nothing seems to have any effect.  The form always goes to
full size.

The help in Acces and the book on Access don't seem to have much to offer on
making a custom dialog.  Unless there is some completely different way of
doing it and I'm not searching with the right keywords.

If I can get the form to size the way I want, get rid of the tab, and have
the form 'free floating', then I'd have what I want.

Any other possibilities/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Gord

"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Gord wrote:
>> In VB6, a custom dialog can be easily created by adding a new form,
>> adding whatever controls you like, sizing it as you like, adding code
>> and then just loading/unloading it whenever you like.
>> Using Access 07, a form is a little different beast and it would
>> appear a custom dialog cannot be created in the same way.
>>
>> How does one go about creating a custom dialog?
>>
>> Note that I am not well experienced in programming but I have a
>> couple of books (including 'Access 2007 Inside Out') that I can refer
>> too as well as the online help that comes with Access.  I don't
>> necessarily need a detailed answer but at least some general idea of
>> where to look to accomplish the same effect as is in VB6.
>
> If you open the form with the acDialog option is should work exactly as
> you describe.  At least I assume that this would ignore that stupid tabbed
> form interface in 2007.
>
> --
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
x1gord1x (60)
10/4/2008 8:08:48 PM
Gord wrote:
> Rick,
>
> I'm afraid that stupid tabbed form interface still persists.  Using
> acDialog seems to open the form in 'Datasheet' view.
>
> As a small aside, I must also be missing something basic here because
> no matter what property settings I play around with in design view on
> the form, the form always opens up full size.  In design view, I drag
> the corner to make the form quite small, but is still goes full.  In
> the form properties, I've played around with 'Auto Resize', 'Fit to
> screen', 'Auto Center', 'Allow DataSheet View', 'Border Style' (set
> that one to Dialog), 'Control Box' etc. etc.  Nothing seems to have
> any effect.  The form always goes to full size.
>
> The help in Acces and the book on Access don't seem to have much to
> offer on making a custom dialog.  Unless there is some completely
> different way of doing it and I'm not searching with the right
> keywords.
> If I can get the form to size the way I want, get rid of the tab, and
> have the form 'free floating', then I'd have what I want.
>
> Any other possibilities/suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have messed *very little* with 2007, but somewhere in there is an option
to switch between the default "tabbed forms" interface and the traditional
forms.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
10/4/2008 8:13:04 PM
"Gord" <x1gord1x@telus.net> wrote in message
> In VB6, a custom dialog can be easily created by adding a new form, adding
> whatever controls you like, sizing it as you like, adding code and then
> just loading/unloading it whenever you like.
> Using Access 07, a form is a little different beast and it would appear a
> custom dialog cannot be created in the same way.

Sure, it much can be.

> How does one go about creating a custom dialog?

You simply open the form in dialog mode. This ALSO WORKS if you using the
tabbed mode.

So, ignore the suggestions that you need to change or turn off the tabbed
mode. However, if you want separate forms, then simply turn off the tabbed
feature and you get old style windows. However this have NOTHING AT ALL to
do with making dialog forms. dialog forms work regardless of your tabbed
setting.

I explain how to open dialog forms, and I also explain how your code can
"halt/wait" for the dialog form, and I also then pull values out of the form
(and you can do this without having to use global vars to pull/pass values
from the form).

I explain this here:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/Dialog/Index.html

By the way, if you want to turn off tabbed forms, you can go:

office button->access options->current database->

        you will see an option for overlapping windows, or tabbed. However,
if you use dialog forms, they ignore this setting anyway.....

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> If you open the form with the acDialog option is should work exactly as
> you describe.  At least I assume that this would ignore that stupid tabbed
> form interface in 2007.

Hum, very good thought...and you are 100% correct in your assuming......

--

Albert D. Kallal wrote:
> "Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>> If you open the form with the acDialog option is should work exactly
>> as you describe.  At least I assume that this would ignore that
>> stupid tabbed form interface in 2007.
>
> Hum, very good thought...and you are 100% correct in your
> assuming......

A dialog form that followed the tabbed interface style certainly didn't
sound right to me.  Does one have to use acDialog to get a floating form or
does Popup also produce that effect?  Again, it seems obvious that it
should, but nothing surprises me any more.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
10/5/2008 12:26:01 PM
On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 20:08:48 GMT, "Gord" <x1gord1x@telus.net> wrote:

>Rick,
>
>I'm afraid that stupid tabbed form interface still persists.  Using acDialog
>seems to open the form in 'Datasheet' view.
>
>As a small aside, I must also be missing something basic here because no
>matter what property settings I play around with in design view on the form,
>the form always opens up full size.  In design view, I drag the corner to
>make the form quite small, but is still goes full.  In the form properties,
>I've played around with 'Auto Resize', 'Fit to screen', 'Auto Center',
>'Allow DataSheet View', 'Border Style' (set that one to Dialog), 'Control
>Box' etc. etc.  Nothing seems to have any effect.  The form always goes to
>full size.

Check to see if you have a macro that has Maximize in it.
Sometimes I put it as the last command in an autoexec macro.

Chuck
libbeyc (206)
10/5/2008 2:15:57 PM

>>> If you open the form with the acDialog option is should work exactly
>>> as you describe.  At least I assume that this would ignore that
>>> stupid tabbed form interface in 2007.
>>
>> Hum, very good thought...and you are 100% correct in your
>> assuming......
>
> A dialog form that followed the tabbed interface style certainly didn't
> sound right to me.  Does one have to use acDialog to get a floating form
> or does Popup also produce that effect?  Again, it seems obvious that it
> should, but nothing surprises me any more.

Once again, your "guess" is a good one, and you are 100% correct. So, both
dialog forms, and also forms with the popup = yes do float.

A model form does NOT float, but DOES auto-hide the navigation bar (since it
can't receive the focus).

--

On Oct 4, 3:08=A0pm, "Gord" <x1gor...@telus.net> wrote:
> Rick,
>
> I'm afraid that stupid tabbed form interface still persists. =A0Using acD=
ialog
> seems to open the form in 'Datasheet' view.
>
> As a small aside, I must also be missing something basic here because no
> matter what property settings I play around with in design view on the fo=
rm,
> the form always opens up full size. =A0In design view, I drag the corner =
> make the form quite small, but is still goes full. =A0In the form propert=
ies,
> I've played around with 'Auto Resize', 'Fit to screen', 'Auto Center',
> 'Allow DataSheet View', 'Border Style' (set that one to Dialog), 'Control
> Box' etc. etc. =A0Nothing seems to have any effect. =A0The form always go=
es to
> full size.
>
> The help in Acces and the book on Access don't seem to have much to offer=
 on
> making a custom dialog. =A0Unless there is some completely different way =
of
> doing it and I'm not searching with the right keywords.
>
> If I can get the form to size the way I want, get rid of the tab, and hav=
> the form 'free floating', then I'd have what I want.
>
> Any other possibilities/suggestions would be much appreciated.
>
> Gord
>
> "Rick Brandt" <rickbran...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Gord wrote:
> >> In VB6, a custom dialog can be easily created by adding a new form,
> >> adding whatever controls you like, sizing it as you like, adding code
> >> and then just loading/unloading it whenever you like.
> >> Using Access 07, a form is a little different beast and it would
> >> appear a custom dialog cannot be created in the same way.
>
> >> How does one go about creating a custom dialog?
>
> >> Note that I am not well experienced in programming but I have a
> >> couple of books (including 'Access 2007 Inside Out') that I can refer
> >> too as well as the online help that comes with Access. =A0I don't
> >> necessarily need a detailed answer but at least some general idea of
> >> where to look to accomplish the same effect as is in VB6.
>
> > If you open the form with the acDialog option is should work exactly as
> > you describe. =A0At least I assume that this would ignore that stupid t=
abbed
> > form interface in 2007.
>
> > --
> > Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> > Email (as appropriate) to...
> > RBrandt =A0 at =A0 Hunter =A0 dot =A0 com

Make sure the Dialogue form is closed first (in tab mode close the
tab).
Then it will open as a Dialogue with the following code
DoCmd.OpenForm "FormName", , , , , acDialog
0
lgeastwood (106)

How to create custom logon screen in ms-access
Hi, I am creating a new application using ms-access database. I need help in making a custom logon screen and provide access to my users. Is there a way to create custom form and table with validation for users to provide access to the db application? Help me! Thanx Gary > Gary There is help at 2 web sites Tek-tips.com look at the faq. at robotparade (the site has changed so you will need to search) has a form that has login screen. it has a module that get the user name. you may also consider adding a screen if it is multi user to show who is in the database. Also see faq re audit trail on forms. It will track changes. You will also need to disable the shift key and database window. Hope this get you started. ...

Creating MS Access databases with VB (.net)
Hello, I am trying to create MS Access databases using VB .net. I can create MS Access 2000 databases OK but also want to create (using VB .net code) 97 format MS Access databases as well. Was using ADOX but the create statement has no parameters for access format and just creates database to whatever format of access you have installed. --- CODE START --- Dim cat As New ADOX.Catalog() Dim sCreateString As String sCreateString = _ "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Test.mdb" cat.Create(sCreateString) --- CODE END --- Cheers Paul M Let me steal from a regul...

Libname method to create MS ACCESS database?
Hi there, OK, I know that I can added tables into an exsiting MS ACCESS database: libname xx access "g:\xxx\xx.mdb"; data xx.junk; set sashelp.class; run; Where xx.mdb already there. What about if there is no database file yet, can I create a database using libname method? I tried the following but failed: libname xx access "g:\xxx\yy.mdb"; data xx.junk; set sashelp.class; run; ERROR: Connect: Could not find file 'g:\xxx\yy.mdb'. ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement. Thanks Ya ...

Re: Libname method to create MS ACCESS database?
Ya, I don't know of a direct way to get around the problem. A kind of indirect way is to simply create an empty ms access file (say, called empty.mdb), in access, and then copy it whenever you want to create a new access file. e.g., x "copy g:\xxx\empty.mdb g:\xxx\xx.mdb"; libname xx access "g:\xxx\xx.mdb"; data xx.junk; set sashelp.class; run; HTH, Art -------- On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 19:15:58 -0500, Ya Huang <ya.huang@AMYLIN.COM> wrote: >Hi there, > >OK, I know that I can added tables into an exsiting MS ACCESS database: > >libname xx access "g:\xxx\xx.mdb"; > >data xx.junk; > set sashelp.class; >run; > >Where xx.mdb already there. > >What about if there is no database file yet, can I create a database >using libname method? > >I tried the following but failed: > >libname xx access "g:\xxx\yy.mdb"; > >data xx.junk; > set sashelp.class; >run; > >ERROR: Connect: Could not find file 'g:\xxx\yy.mdb'. >ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement. > >Thanks > >Ya ...

How to read MS Access Database Table Created Date
Hi, may need some help here. I am using Borland Delphi Dev 2006. I am able to read the list of tables names in MS Access 2003 database using ADOConnection1.GetTableNames, but I am trying to read the list of tables with their created/modified dates, appreciate some help here please. Thanks. Xan. ...

How to creat thumbnails of jpg images in MS-Access database
Hi there, This is my first time here,.....I am a Perl developer by trade but currently working on Access database. Anyway,...I use this artical from Microsoft knowldge base number (285820) to creat a database that contains few .jpg images. My question is; how can I create a thumbnail imges for those jpg images and, if how can I get the the original jpg image to be displayed once I click on the thumbnail? Thanks for yoyr help. Tim You can use an image control(s) then use the width and height propertie(s) of your control(s). Make sure that the size mode property of the image contorl (in t...

How to read MS Access Database Table Created Date
Hi, may need some help here. I am using Borland Delphi Dev 2006. I am able to read the list of tables names in MS Access 2003 database using ADOConnection1.GetTableNames, but I am trying to read the list of tables with their created/modified dates, appreciate some help here please. Thanks. Xan. ...

Access project database
Why isn't a database created on the MSDE?? Network: Two Win2K Pro machines connected as peers. (No domains.) MS Access is on X, MSDE2000A is on H. MS Access is run under: Windows Administrator. MSDE is set for Windows Authentication only. On using the Microsoft SQL Server Database Wizard to create an Access project, I don't specify a usename or password. After the wizard says it has the info it needs, it closes and a progress bar appears for a only a split second as the wizard tries to create the database. Indications are that the connections to the MSDE was dropped during creatio...

create an access database
It is possible to create a database Jet (ado) from within delphi code without Access? Nurax schrieb: > It is possible to create a database Jet (ado) from within delphi code > without Access? > > why don't you copy a rawdatabase into the directory? you can bind them as a resource file and handle them accordingly in the consequence there is no need to use access on the client. ...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

customize CREATE DATABASE
Hi, I was wondering if the CREATE DATABASE command uses scripts to create the catalog so that I can customize my database creation on DB2? Thanks Chris gruber wrote: > Hi, > > I was wondering if the CREATE DATABASE command uses scripts to create the > catalog so that I can customize my database creation on DB2? See the manual for the CREATE DATABASE command. There are a LOT of options. "gruber" <chris.gruber@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d77ct7$oo6$1@newswest.sybase.com... > Hi, > > I was wondering if the CREATE DATABAS...

create an access database
It is possible to create a database Jet (ado) from within delphi code without Access? Nurax schrieb: > It is possible to create a database Jet (ado) from within delphi code > without Access? > > why don't you copy a rawdatabase into the directory? you can bind them as a resource file and handle them accordingly in the consequence there is no need to use access on the client. ...

Web resources about - Create a custom dialog - comp.databases.ms-access

iRobot Create - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
iRobot Create is a hobbyist robot manufactured by iRobot that is based on the Roomba platform and was introduced in 2007. However, iRobot Create ...

The Knot Creates Facebook Page To Help Hurricane Sandy Victims Salvage Their Weddings
The damage in the wake of Hurricane Sandy included some 2,300 weddings that had to be postponed or rescheduled, according to wedding portal The ...

World's elite wisdom may no longer matter as new winners create losers
Millions are more likely to see an influx from Europe as a source of competition, for jobs, for houses, for everything.

World's elite wisdom may no longer matter as new winners create losers
Millions are more likely to see an influx from Europe as a source of competition, for jobs, for houses, for everything.

World's elite wisdom may no longer matter as new winners create losers
Millions are more likely to see an influx from Europe as a source of competition, for jobs, for houses, for everything.

Japanese university creates EV that gets power from the road
Filed under: Green , Japan , Emerging Technologies , Technology , Electric , Future A university in Japan has competed of test of an EV that ...

Create and search file lists with File List Maker
... programming, but it also means you can run it from a USB key on any PC where you’ve files to be searched. The core idea is that you create ...

MIT thinks it can create a world without traffic lights
In addition to increasing safety on the road, self-driving cars might help us achieve something else: speed up daily commutes by removing the ...

18 Ideas That Will Help Create Your Dream Bedroom
... Prints on Accent Pieces: A very common misconception amongst women is that prints are only best for bedcovers. The fact is that you can create ...

These 10 Windows group policy settings will create stronger security
Configure these 10 group policy settings carefully, and enjoy better Windows security across the office