Is it possible to create an MS/ACCESS database application and package
it for users who do not have MS/ACCESS loaded in their PCs?

I was told that this is possible, but I don't know what software is
needed.  Do you know?  If so, please answer this post.  Thanks.

SueB

sbrick (26)

Per Sue Bricker:
>Is it possible to create an MS/ACCESS database application and package
>it for users who do not have MS/ACCESS loaded in their PCs?
>
>I was told that this is possible, but I don't know what software is
>needed.  Do you know?  If so, please answer this post.  Thanks.

I think it comes down to semantics.

"Licensed" vs "Loaded".

No you can't create an app that will run on a PC with nothing loaded.

Yes you can create an app that will run on a PC where nobody's paid the fee to
run MS Access.

You still have to install something on that PC, however.   What it is is a
freebie version of MS Access that only runs applications - doesn't allow anybody
to develop an app.

You develop the app on your PC, which has MS Access installed.

Then somebody installs the freebie ("Runtime Access") on somebody's PC and they
can run the app you developed without having to pay any money to anybody.
--
PeteCresswell
0

"Sue Bricker" <sbrick@att.net> wrote in message

> Is it possible to create an MS/ACCESS database application and package
> it for users who do not have MS/ACCESS loaded in their PCs?
>
> I was told that this is possible, but I don't know what software is
> needed.  Do you know?  If so, please answer this post.  Thanks.
>
> SueB

knogeek (392)
3/10/2005 7:01:52 PM
"Alan Webb" <knogeek@hotmail.com> wrote in

> If Access isn't present, some version of it must be installed to
> run an Access database.  VB.NET, or VB6 or some other commercial
> IDE that will let you author code you own may initially be harder
> to learn and more work but is worth the extra effort.

You can't run an Access application with VB.

You could completely rewrite the application in VB and use the data
tables from the Access MDB, but that's a ridiculous alternative in
comparison to the runtime.

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
0
dXXXfenton (2542)
3/10/2005 9:14:07 PM
Sue,

The answer to your question is "yes" - you need the Package and Deployment
Wizard - depends on which version of Access you're using.  For Access 2003,
you'll need to purchase Visual Studio 2003, which include what you need to
package your application, and include the runtime version of Access.  For
Access 2000, there was a Developer's version of Office 2000, and also a
separate Developer's Tools package that included the runtime version of
Access.  Access XP I'm sure has something similar; a check on Microsoft's
site will tell you what you need.

Matt

> Is it possible to create an MS/ACCESS database application and package
> it for users who do not have MS/ACCESS loaded in their PCs?
>
> I was told that this is possible, but I don't know what software is
> needed.  Do you know?  If so, please answer this post.  Thanks.
>
> SueB

mattfurze (3)
3/11/2005 2:11:49 AM
Unless Microsoft has changed it's policy, the runtime version does not
have ALL the features of the full version (but it is still quite good).
For example in the past Query by Form was not available in the runtime
version.

0
mfs43 (54)