Designing key tracking DB

My wife is school secretary who inherited the job of tracking about
100 keys to about 150 school employees for thee next school year.
Their current system, comprised of 2 non connected spreadsheets, is a
totally useless inaccurate mess.

I thought I might be able to help out by making a simple access
database, but think I bit off just a little more than I can handle.

My idea was to create 2 tables:

TbleKeyInfo
KeyMarking        Text field         (Primary key)        ' contains
markings found on keys
OnHand             Number field    Quantity on hand
Out                    Number field   Quantity lent out

TblEmployees
FullName            Text field       (Primary key)         'contains
full name, including 1 digit suffix when required
KeyMarking         Text
field                                                ' contains
markings found on keys

The problem is that some employees can have as many as 25 different
keys and some keys can be lent out to almost 100 employees. This sort
of makes it many to many relationship. Maybe I need 3 tables?

I'm hoping to create a select query, which can be used to create a
form with a subform on which I can edit the data and also create new
records as required.

I know that this is a lot of help to ask for, but maybe someone can
help?

Thanks
Dee

comp.databases.ms-access 42611 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

if you're building a database in the year 2007; u should be using SQL
Server and not MS Access.

MS Access is only a front end to SQL Server.

if you don'[t know how to write SQL Server then ask one of your 4th
graders; because SQL Server is easier to use than MDB

On Jun 17, 9:00 pm, dee <promotions.market...@comcast.net> wrote:
> My wife is school secretary who inherited the job of tracking about
> 100 keys to about 150 school employees for thee next school year.
> Their current system, comprised of 2 non connected spreadsheets, is a
> totally useless inaccurate mess.
>
> I thought I might be able to help out by making a simple access
> database, but think I bit off just a little more than I can handle.
>
> My idea was to create 2 tables:
>
> TbleKeyInfo
> KeyMarking        Text field         (Primary key)        ' contains
> markings found on keys
> OnHand             Number field    Quantity on hand
> Out                    Number field   Quantity lent out
>
> TblEmployees
> FullName            Text field       (Primary key)         'contains
> full name, including 1 digit suffix when required
> KeyMarking         Text
> field                                                ' contains
> markings found on keys
>
> The problem is that some employees can have as many as 25 different
> keys and some keys can be lent out to almost 100 employees. This sort
> of makes it many to many relationship. Maybe I need 3 tables?
>
> I'm hoping to create a select query, which can be used to create a
> form with a subform on which I can edit the data and also create new
> records as required.
>
> I know that this is a lot of help to ask for, but maybe someone can
> help?
>
> Thanks
> Dee

0
aaron.kempf (199)
6/18/2007 5:07:22 PM
Something I need to do myself for Club Keys.

OK A few basic principals. I am assuming that every key has an
identification number - possibly 1 to 100 if there are a hundred keys

I would suggest 3 tables

TblLocks
LockID    Auto    Primary
LockName    Text    Indexed(NoDuplicates)        e.g. Broom Cupboard, Safe

TblEmployees
EmployeeID    Auto    Primary
EmployeeSurName    Text    Indexed
EmployeeFirstName    Text

TblKeys
KeyID    Auto    Primary
LockID    Number    Long            Refers to the lock it will open
EmployeeID    Number    Long            Refers to who has the key
KeyMarking    Text

Set up the relationships and enforce referential integrity.

Create a form to add your employees. You will need a dummy Employee for
unallocated keys.

Create a form to add your locks

Create a form based on the keys with combobox for the Lock and a combobox
for the employee.

With sort of structure you can have a subform on your employee form to show
all the keys they have and what locks they fit. Equally on the Lock Form,
you can have a subform showing the keys and the employee who holds them.

Have fun

HTH

Phil

"dee" <promotions.marketing@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My wife is school secretary who inherited the job of tracking about
> 100 keys to about 150 school employees for thee next school year.
> Their current system, comprised of 2 non connected spreadsheets, is a
> totally useless inaccurate mess.
>
> I thought I might be able to help out by making a simple access
> database, but think I bit off just a little more than I can handle.
>
> My idea was to create 2 tables:
>
> TbleKeyInfo
> KeyMarking        Text field         (Primary key)        ' contains
> markings found on keys
> OnHand             Number field    Quantity on hand
> Out                    Number field   Quantity lent out
>
> TblEmployees
> FullName            Text field       (Primary key)         'contains
> full name, including 1 digit suffix when required
> KeyMarking         Text
> field                                                ' contains
> markings found on keys
>
> The problem is that some employees can have as many as 25 different
> keys and some keys can be lent out to almost 100 employees. This sort
> of makes it many to many relationship. Maybe I need 3 tables?
>
> I'm hoping to create a select query, which can be used to create a
> form with a subform on which I can edit the data and also create new
> records as required.
>
> I know that this is a lot of help to ask for, but maybe someone can
> help?
>
> Thanks
> Dee

0
phil (1005)
6/18/2007 5:12:44 PM
you need A c c e s s D a t a P r o j e c t s

aaron.kempf@gmail.com wrote:
> if you're building a database in the year 2007; u should be using SQL
> Server and not MS Access.
bulls***

> MS Access is only a front end to SQL Server.

bulls***
> if you don'[t know how to write SQL Server then ask one of your 4th
> graders; because SQL Server is easier to use than MDB
>

> On Jun 17, 9:00 pm, dee <promotions.market...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> My wife is school secretary who inherited the job of tracking about
>> 100 keys to about 150 school employees for thee next school year.
>> Their current system, comprised of 2 non connected spreadsheets, is a
>> totally useless inaccurate mess.
>>
>> I thought I might be able to help out by making a simple access
>> database, but think I bit off just a little more than I can handle.
>>
>> My idea was to create 2 tables:
>>
>> TbleKeyInfo
>> KeyMarking        Text field         (Primary key)        ' contains
>> markings found on keys
>> OnHand             Number field    Quantity on hand
>> Out                    Number field   Quantity lent out
>>
>> TblEmployees
>> FullName            Text field       (Primary key)         'contains
>> full name, including 1 digit suffix when required
>> KeyMarking         Text
>> field                                                ' contains
>> markings found on keys
>>
>> The problem is that some employees can have as many as 25 different
>> keys and some keys can be lent out to almost 100 employees. This sort
>> of makes it many to many relationship. Maybe I need 3 tables?
>>
>> I'm hoping to create a select query, which can be used to create a
>> form with a subform on which I can edit the data and also create new
>> records as required.
>>
>> I know that this is a lot of help to ask for, but maybe someone can
>> help?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dee

0
bobalston9 (397)

How would you design this MS Access database:
I kind of get the idea of databases, how the fields and keys work, but Im not very sure about designing one... what should be a field, etc. I've read that the design of the database is the most important, so I thought Id get some inputs! The database I wish to create will contain dozens of "Message" types. These messages types will all have the same structure: Each message has a 32 word "data" payload (unsigned 16 bit), and for each of these data payloads, I would also like to associate a Description string. Each data word can be modified from a vb program, but initially I would like to set each of the 32 words for a message to a default value. Finally, I would like to make sure that there is a range check on the data itself so that it never inadvertently gets set to something out of range. So for example, Message 1: ---------------- Data Payload & Default Val: Description Range Data word 0: 0x1234 "Header Info" Valid (0x1200 - 0x1300) Data word 1: 0x4445 "Mailbox Source" Full Range .... Data word 31: 0x8274 "Checksum" Full Range So... Would the database have 32 Fields Named Data 0, Data 1.. Data31? And 32 more fields for description and 32 more fields for Range? This seems like too many fields.. perhaps, Would the 32 words of Data be just one field? In e...

how to design good normalizing database in ms access ?
sir, I have one real time project.This project maintain sales, purchase, sales return , purchase return, receipt , payment and debit note given and debit note receiving and more.. In a siuation how to design relational database with good normalized database ? Please help me.. thanking you n.Jaisankar, pnjaisan@yahoo.com ...

Track the User logged in the Shared MS Access Database
Hi, is there a way to know which user last logged in the shared Access database. My requirement is that I must be able to track the users that log in the database and incase its not working because one of the user has done something wrong that I must be able to track him/her. TIA -G. See: HOW TO: Check Who Logged into Database with Jet UserRoster in Access 2000 at: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=198755 You may find it easier to use your initialization code (e.g. AutoExec macro) to actually log the users in and out. Just Execute an Append query statement on a table set up for thi...

ODBC/OLE DB MS Access Question 10G Database Upgrade Issues?
Hi There We currently have the following setup: Server: Oracle Database on Unix @ 9.2 Client: Windows XP Pro (SP1) MS Access 2000 Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle pile of databases that connect to oracle via ODBC/OLE DB Oracle Client 8.1.7 (MSDTC keys are pointing at oracle 8 dll's) We will be upgrading our database to Oracle 10G, and are concerned that the connection between MS access and the database will fail, or we will have data issues. I have read some reports of this, but have seen no consistant data accross the board. Testing will be done of course, but sometimes its easy to ask first.... We will also (in time) look at upgrading the Oracle Client level (currently we only have done that for our developers/dba's), but I am concerned with Microsoft's ODBC/OLE DB drivers. Will I be forced to upgrade to the Oracle drivers? Will I be forced to upgrade the client (SQL*net) level? (I.e. oraclient10.dll) I also have a few other apps that require ODBC/OLE DB access including Powerbuilder and Crystal Reports. Thanks, Henry If your clients are at least 8.1.7 you should have no problem. We have servers and clients running from 8.0.4 to 10g. The only issue we now have is that the 10g folks can't talk to the 8.0 folks. Not quite true. Our parent Company still has some O7, and that is causing us problems with the 9i2 and 10g, but that is only a couple of dozen out of 5K users. In fact, I had MS tell me at one point that their ODBC/OLEDB is now base...

Does MS Access db have problems with multiple users access it at once?
I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My questions are: Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at once? If yes, what is your solution to this problem? I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple users accessing it at once. Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. Will the users just be reading, or will multiple users be writing at the same time? I've seen data corruption in older (Access '97) databases with large numbers of users reading and writing. I haven't seen any corruption where...

Database Design Problem with Hibernate Primary Key and Foreign Key
hi, I am a newbie to Hibernate. It seems to me that Hibernate does not allow you to declare both id and composite-id in .hbm.xml mapping. That was why i have a triple primary key in my ENROLLED table as following: CREATE TABLE ENROLLED ( SID INTEGER NOT NULL, CID INTEGER NOT NULL, ENROLL_SINCE DATETIME NOT NULL, EID INTEGER NOT NULL auto_increment, COURSE_ROLE_ID INTEGER DEFAULT 0, LAST_LESSON_ID INTEGER, COMPLETE_BY_DATE DATETIME, GRADE VARCHAR(10), STATUS_ID MEDIUMINT(9), IS_AVAILABLE CHAR(1) DEFAULT 'Y', CREATION_DATE DATETIME NOT NULL, LAST_UPDATED DATETIME NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (SID, CID, ENROLL_SINCE), UNIQUE KEY (EID), FOREIGN KEY(SID) REFERENCES USERS ..... and my QUIZ_GRADES table need to reference the ENROLLED table. That was why I had EID as unique key. CREATE TABLE QUIZ_GRADES (QUIZ_ID INTEGER NOT NULL, EID INTEGER NOT NULL, PASS CHAR(1), CREATION_DATE DATETIME NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY(QUIZ_ID, EID), FOREIGN KEY (QUIZ_ID) REFERENCES QUIZES ON DELETE CASCADE, FOREIGN KEY (EID) REFERENCES ENROLLED(EID) ON DELETE CASCADE)TYPE=INNODB; However, Hibernate complained as following: "******Foreign key (QUIZ_GRADES [EID])) must have same number of columns as the r eferenced primary key (ENROLLED [SID,CID,ENROLL_SINCE]) net.sf.hibernate.MappingException: Foreign key (QUIZ_GRADES [EID])) must have sa me number of...

Permissions Issue when linking to MS SQL 2000 DB from MS Access XP
Hello, We have a database in MS SQL 2000 and I'm trying to link to it from MS Access XP. I've created a user with full access to one specific table in the MS SQL database, but Access won't write to it. I can open this table in MS Query Analyzer and log-in as the user, and I can do update, delete, and select queries just fine... but when I link to the table from MS Access using the same MS SQL username/password, I can only read the data... no write or delete. Since I can update data fine in MS Query Analyzer, I assume permissions are setup properly. Anyone know why I can not ed...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

Converting Access DB to SQL Server DB using LV Database Toolkit
Hello all: I am looking to convert an Access database to SQL Server database.&nbsp; The LV Database Toolkit was used to write to the Access database.&nbsp; I want to use the LV database toolkit to retrieve the data and write that data into a SQL server format.&nbsp; Has anybody done this before and are there any "surprises" I may run into? Found this on MS' website; hope you'll find it useful:&nbsp; &nbsp; <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/sql/accessmigration.mspx" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/sql/accessmigration.m...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

Web resources about - Designing key tracking DB - comp.databases.ms-access

Designing Women - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the television series. For the 1934 film, see Designing Women (film) . For the 1957 film, see Designing Woman . Designing ...

Designing for Accessibility: Q&A with Jeff Wieland - Facebook
Facebook Design hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Designing for Accessibility: Q&A with Jeff Wieland geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen Text ...

Designing the new Twitter profiles - Twitter Blogs
A peek into the process of redesigning profiles from the ground up.

Designing Around Little Minds
In designing user interfaces, we aim to empower the &ldquo;user&rdquo; to understand and control the system at hand. Output via screens and speakers, ...

Designing Obama for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Designing Obama on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Flickr: Designing Web Interfaces' Photostream
Figures and Screencasts for the O'Reilly Book: Designing Web Interfaces: Principles & Patterns for Rich Interaction. Designing Web Interfaces ...

YouTube - Designing Aquaponics for the Home by Daylight + Back to the Roots
Veröffentlicht am 06.02.2013 Back to the Roots is on a mission to inspire more people to grow their own food. Founded by two Berkeley graduates, ...

Designing The Perfect American
Brisbane Festival-goers may not know the name Dan Potra, but they will more than likely encounter his work.

Google's Android plans include manufacturing own chips and designing new Pixel phone
Google’s interest in mobile chipmaking can open new business opportunities, including a new Pixel phone line.

Designing a world that sells powerful dreams
The creator of Mad Men once preferred poetry to TV, writes Warwick McFadyen. - Sydney Morning Herald Online