detect if database was opened to database window view

Hi All,

Anyone have code to share that would detect if a database was opened
to database window view???  and since holding the 'you know which key'
down, no form is loaded, the autoexec marco does not run so, where
would one put such code that it would run?
thanks
bobh.
0
vulcaned (287)

bobh wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Anyone have code to share that would detect if a database was opened
> to database window view???  and since holding the 'you know which key'
> down, no form is loaded, the autoexec marco does not run so, where
> would one put such code that it would run?
> thanks
> bobh.

About all you can do is assume that a user that opens the database that way
will eventually open a form or report that does execute some code.  Your
normal startup could set a public variable or open a hidden form and other
code could test for that and be able to tell that normal startup was not
used.

There is no way to tell this immediately upon opening the file because as
you stated, there will be no code or macro executed.

The bypass key can be disabled by the way.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
3/12/2008 10:51:27 PM
bobh <vulcaned@yahoo.com> wrote in news:a66d41b0-8a4b-4ba0-8684-
a04061ddafe7@b64g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

> Hi All,
>
> Anyone have code to share that would detect if a database was opened
> to database window view???  and since holding the 'you know which key'
> down, no form is loaded, the autoexec marco does not run so, where
> would one put such code that it would run?
> thanks
> bobh.

Perhaps, you should tell us why you want to know? That might help us make
suggestions.
0
lylefa1r (282)
3/12/2008 11:59:03 PM
On Mar 12, 7:59=A0pm, lyle fairfield <lylef...@yah00.ca> wrote:
> bobh<vulca...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:a66d41b0-8a4b-4ba0-8684-
> a04061dda...@b64g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Hi All,
>
> > Anyone have code to share that would detect if a database was opened
> > to database window view??? =A0and since holding the 'you know which key'=

> > down, no form is loaded, the autoexec marco does not run so, where
> > would one put such code that it would run?
> > thanks
> >bobh.
>
> Perhaps, you should tell us why you want to know? That might help us make
> suggestions.

Ok, but I don't think it will make a difference............
I have an application front-end/back-end setup, both pieces sit out on
a server(please, don't tell me about the good/bad of that setup, it is
what it is). I think someone opened the application to database window
view and managed to screw up a table over the weekend. On monday
morning user could not use the application cause that table was not
right. I restored it from backup and the app then functioned as normal
so, I know it was that table and that it happened over the weekend and
the only way to get at that table to mess it up would be through
database window view.
So, I'm interested in capturing LAN ID's of anyone who opens the
database directly in database window view.
bobh.

0
vulcaned (287)
3/13/2008 3:08:44 PM
If you set a Startup Form and Properties on the Backend Database or create
an AutoExec macro, disable the Bypass Key, and include code in the Open
event of the Startup Form to require some action (like entering a password
or key code or ???), and if that fails, immediately execute a DoCmd.Quit,
that should eliminate the problem of someone opening the backend directly
and damaging a Table.

It is better to prevent opening in a mode that allows access to the Database
Window, but be sure to allow yourself a way in (e.g., entering that password
or key code) so that you can maintain the back end.

As you seem to know the drawbacks of having multiple users logged in to the
same front end copy, I'll spare you the lecture.  Of course, when you do
suffer the consequences, you should know that you are not going to receive
much sympathy here. :-)  No, not even if you have archvillains in IT who
exercise draconian control over the systems, and will chain you to the wall
and beat you three times a day if you violate their rules :-)

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Office Access MVP

"bobh" <vulcaned@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Mar 12, 7:59 pm, lyle fairfield <lylef...@yah00.ca> wrote:
> bobh<vulca...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:a66d41b0-8a4b-4ba0-8684-
> a04061dda...@b64g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Hi All,
>
> > Anyone have code to share that would detect if a database was opened
> > to database window view??? and since holding the 'you know which key'
> > down, no form is loaded, the autoexec marco does not run so, where
> > would one put such code that it would run?
> > thanks
> >bobh.
>
> Perhaps, you should tell us why you want to know? That might help us make
> suggestions.

Ok, but I don't think it will make a difference............
I have an application front-end/back-end setup, both pieces sit out on
a server(please, don't tell me about the good/bad of that setup, it is
what it is). I think someone opened the application to database window
view and managed to screw up a table over the weekend. On monday
morning user could not use the application cause that table was not
right. I restored it from backup and the app then functioned as normal
so, I know it was that table and that it happened over the weekend and
the only way to get at that table to mess it up would be through
database window view.
So, I'm interested in capturing LAN ID's of anyone who opens the
database directly in database window view.
bobh.

0
bouncer (4168)
3/13/2008 7:48:05 PM
On Mar 13, 3:48=A0pm, "Larry Linson" <boun...@localhost.not> wrote:
> If you set a Startup Form and Properties on the Backend Database or create=

> an AutoExec macro, disable the Bypass Key, and include code in the Open
> event of the Startup Form to require some action (like entering a password=

> or key code or ???), and if that fails, immediately execute a DoCmd.Quit,
> that should eliminate the problem of someone opening the backend directly
> and damaging a Table.
>
> It is better to prevent opening in a mode that allows access to the Databa=
se
> Window, but be sure to allow yourself a way in (e.g., entering that passwo=
rd
> or key code) so that you can maintain the back end.
>
> As you seem to know the drawbacks of having multiple users logged in to th=
> same front end copy, I'll spare you the lecture. =A0Of course, when you do=

> suffer the consequences, you should know that you are not going to receive=

> much sympathy here. :-) =A0No, not even if you have archvillains in IT who=

> exercise draconian control over the systems, and will chain you to the wal=
> and beat you three times a day if you violate their rules :-)

So, I get no sympathy here and an IT beating.........  hmmmm, a double
whipping, of course some people like to get whipped   :)   <lol>
bobh.

> =A0Larry Linson
> =A0Microsoft Office Access MVP

0
vulcaned (287)

Open a database from a database
I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the code in a startup form of that database does work. Martin "Jim Devenish" schreef in bericht news:0b4510ac-d415-4c2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:37:41 -0700 (PDT), Jim Devenish <internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote: Have you tried the Shell command? If you weren't using the AutoExec macro but one with another name, you could use the /X command line switch for msaccess.exe -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an >already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but >does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening ...

open database from another database
I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like to automate the back-up of an Access application to a writeable CD drive. I've got the process of creating a folder on the CD with the back-up date done, and I can copy the database objects (there are four MDB files in total) to the CD. All of that works. Here's my problem: because Access databases cannot be copied when they are open, I need to have my CD writing code in a new MDB, and will need to launch the new CD writing MDB from within one of the existing databases. I've done this kind of thing before, but I don't have the slightest recollection on how I did it (used to be you had to do that kind of thing in order to compact/repair through automation). So, I give up. How do you launch Access from within Access??? Well this will do it: Dim i As Variant i = Shell("msaccess d:\persprop\CSCPP.mdb") Just put in your own db path. But this does come up with the warning that requires you to click to get into to the db (in 2003). If you know how to get by that I'd like to know. You could put the function in a macro and then close the db stat started the new one. Good luck Ira Solomon On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:17:10 -0500, Mike Easter <username@domain.com> wrote: >I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like >to automate the back-up of an Access application to a wri...

Opening databases with out MS access
Hi, I have an Access database file with all the switchboard commands and what I want to do is to try to access the switchboard command without opening microsoft access. Which means i want to access the database without opening access. I am seeing if I can make this file an executable file but i dont think this is the solution. If anybody have any ideas, please help. Thanks > I have an Access database file with all the switchboard commands and > what I want to do is to try to access the switchboard command without > opening microsoft access. Which means i want to access the database > without opening access. I am seeing if I can make this file an > executable file but i dont think this is the solution. If anybody have > any ideas, please help. Thanks You cannot use Access interface without having Access installed into your pc. -- PBsoft di Gabriele Bertolucci www.pbsoft.it skype: pbsoftsolution http://www.mvps.org/access/general/gen0001.htm *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** "Gabriele Bertolucci" <info@REMOVEpbsoft.it> wrote > You cannot use Access interface without > having Access installed into your pc. You can use (but not modify the design of) an Access database if you have the Access runtime, as packaged by the Office Developer Edition (pre-2003) or by the Visual Studio Tools for Office 2003 System. If, in your view, installing the Access runtime qualifies as "having Access install...

Opening Another Database from WITHIN a Database
I have a database (2000.mdb) which links to my data tables (Data2000.mdb). The database has a Main Menu screen (not a switchboard - a custom one). I need to import records from 5 text files into the 5 different Tables in Data2000.mdb. Here was my plan: Create various Import specs in Data2000.mdb Create a Macro (in Data2000.mdb) which calls each of the specs sequentially. Place a button on the Main Menu (2000.mdb), which closes the current database (optional), opens Data2000.mdb, runs the Macro (Import Reg), then returns the user to the original Menu in the original database (200...

Error on opening a database: MS JEt database says someone tries to modify the file #2
Hello, I've received a databasefile from a friend, which seems to be corrupted. When i try to open the file it gives the error: The Microsoft Jet Database Engine has stopped the proces, since you and another user are trying to modify the same data (translated from dutch). I can't do anythinh with this file. Even importing from another database or Compact and Repairing gives me the same message. Has anyone got a clue how to save the data in this .mdb file. Greetings, Remco ...

how to find total open database links in a database?
and open_links and open_links_per_instance seems doesn't work for my instance. The value is 4, but I can have open links more than 4, for each session or a instance. niy38@hotmail.com wrote: > and open_links and open_links_per_instance seems doesn't work > for my instance. The value is 4, but I can have open links more > than 4, for each session or a instance. No version number. No SQL so we can see what you are looking at. -- Daniel A. Morgan http://www.psoug.org damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) sorry, it's 8i. niy38@hotmail.com wrote: > sorry, it's 8i. Not a very informative reply, as '8i' covers releases from 8.1.5.0 through 8.1.7.4 (last I checked) and the functionality varies widely from the first release to the last. Post actual version numbers, and the SQL you're running, to get any sort of usable response. David Fitxjarrell niy38@hotmail.com wrote: > and open_links and open_links_per_instance seems doesn't work > for my instance. The value is 4, but I can have open links more > than 4, for each session or a instance. This may be useful, courtesy of Mark Bobak. -- Jared Select /*+ ORDERED */ substr(s.ksusemnm,1,10)||'-'|| substr(s.ksusepid,1,10) "ORIGIN", substr(g.K2GTITID_ORA,1,35) "GTXID", substr(s.indx,1,4)||'.'|| substr(s.ksuseser,1,5) "LSESSION" , s2.username, substr( decode(bitand(ksuseidl,11), 1...

UPDATE VALUE IN ACCESS DATABASE-CONNECTIVITY DATABASE?
Hi to all labviewers, I'm trying to update some values in my access database with sql and labview connectivity toolset but i got an error, what is the problem whit my code? note: when i try to update one colum it's work fine. &nbsp; regard's eyal. UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/152737/1/UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C5EE8B.DE98AE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I'm not sure if you can use comma's to se...

How to open Form in different database from the current database
I have to program the button that will open a specific form in the different database. This second database currently has a macro called Autoexec that opens this Form when the database opens. I tried this code, but get error ("You cancelled the previous operation") when it executes line that I marked as (!!!): ********************************************** Dim objACC As New Access.Application DoCmd.SetWarnings False '-----------Open different database------------ Set objACC = GetObject("K:\Greeley_Surveys\PRAssessment\PR Assessment v14. mdb") objACC.DoCmd.RunMacro ("Autoexec") (!!!) objACC.DoCmd.Close DoCmd.SetWarnings True objACC.Quit Set objACC = Nothing ********************************************** Could you please help with this code or suggest different? Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:14:46 GMT, JuliaM via AccessMonster.com wrote: > I have to program the button that will open a specific form in the different > database. This second database currently has a macro called Autoexec that > opens this Form when the database opens. > I tried this code, but get error ("You cancelled the previous operation") > when it executes line that I marked as (!!!): > ********************************************** > Dim objACC As New Access.Application > > DoCmd.SetWarnings False > '-----------Open different database------------ > Set objA...

[News] Open Database License is Out, Topocad Uses Open Source FDO Database Connection

Open Source Database as an Alternative MS Access?
Is there any project team working on a PERSONAL database as an alternative to MS Access? TIA Dan <dan@nospam.com> writes: > Is there any project team working on a PERSONAL database as an > alternative to MS Access? http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Software/Applications/Databases/140/ In article <4YnOb.91694$fq1.71625@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Dan wrote: > Is there any project team working on a PERSONAL database as an > alternative to MS Access? http://www.rekallrevealed.org/ Dave Cook Dan wrote: > Is there any project team working on a PERS...

open a pasword proteccted ms access database
Hi, So far I am using no pasword protected ms access database, now my client ask me to use the password protected one. Does anyone know how to do that using connection string? have tried just give the password only and blank on ussername but error. TIA "yanto" <yanto2000@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7dd63a1c-da3b-4a11-886a-f9dd8912e1a0@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > So far I am using no pasword protected ms access database, now my > client ask me to use the password protected one. Does anyone know how > to do that using connection string? have tried ...

Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?
Hi all, We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7 datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the following: - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7 database - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8 database Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table. Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit database in this way? Jaap. yes "Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:7fm4b05a4mbbb4jub1urin1j163jjsc7vg@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a > new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 > datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has > to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application > db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do >...

Opening one database always restores a minimised database
Hi I have an Access database that I use to keep track of hours I work on development. The database is always open and minimised. An annoying problem is that whenever I open a database I am working on through a shortcut, the time tracking database window gets restored before the one I am opening actually opens. It does stay behind the one I am working on but I have to minimise it again if I want to keep the desktop uncluttered. Is there any way of stopping the minimised one restoring? Jeff When I set the target property of the shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\O...

Is there a way to update a web database from an desktop Access database?
Hi, I would like to be able to take records from an Access database (most likely 2010) and update them to whatever database is being used on a web server? For instance, I would like to extract someone's calendar from an Access application and let them sign in and see what their calendar is for a certain time period. I know how to extract the data from Access, but not how to post it onto someone's website (which could be using MySQL, SQL Server). -paulw ...

Access project database
Why isn't a database created on the MSDE?? Network: Two Win2K Pro machines connected as peers. (No domains.) MS Access is on X, MSDE2000A is on H. MS Access is run under: Windows Administrator. MSDE is set for Windows Authentication only. On using the Microsoft SQL Server Database Wizard to create an Access project, I don't specify a usename or password. After the wizard says it has the info it needs, it closes and a progress bar appears for a only a split second as the wizard tries to create the database. Indications are that the connections to the MSDE was dropped during creatio...

Database question, Vb6 SP5, DAO, Access database
I posted this message in a VB database newsgroup 5 days ago and have not received any answers. Since this newsgroup has been very supportive in VB, I am posting it here (with changes) in hopes of getting an answer. Jim Y Using a database is still new for me. I do not know all the terms, so I hope I can explain my question. I wrote a program in VB6 SP5 using DAO. It works with no known problems (yet), I had to add/modify the database and program to include an additional variable. This program has been installed on a friends PC with XP and I want to upgrade it with the new version. My que...

Opening access database for exclusive access
hi Folks, I am opening my access database file (Access 2003) from a C# application. The connection string specifies mode=Share Exclusive The intent is that the application have exclusive access to the database file. No other instance of MS Access or this particular C# application (or any other app) should be able to open the access database file concurrently. however it seems that this is not happening. A second instance of my program run from another computer under another LAN user id can successfully open a connection to the database using the same connection string, specifying Share E...

Web resources about - detect if database was opened to database window view - comp.databases.ms-access