Dr Watson Access violation error following conversion to Access 97 from A2k

I have a database developed fully in Access 2000 which I make
available to users of both Access 97 and Access 2000. I use a split
front end/back end arrangement; with the BE in Access 97. When I have
made developments I reissue the front end in both A97 and A2k formats.

The latest version of the front end works fine in Access 2000, however
when I convert it to A97, one object (a form), results in a Dr Watson
Access violation error when it is run, or if I try to open it in
design view, try to change its name or even just try to delete it.
However, it works fine if I run that (A97) FE using A2k.

This particular form was not touched in the last round of
developments; so it has not changed since I successfully issued it in
the previous version of the FE.

I have tried:
 - compact and repair
 - decompiling (both in A2k and A97)

I have now replaced the object from the previous version of the FE (in
A2k) and reconverted to A97 - this works OK. However, I am concerned
that this may happen again, and it would be far worse if it had been
an object I had worked on.

Can anyone help?
0
oliverjc (2)

I would be surprised if this, or something similar, did not happen again,
Oliver. In my opinion, the convert to previous version feature should be
treated only as an emergency measure to recover an MDB that has been
unintentionally converted to the later version. I do *not* recommend using
it on a regular basis in the way that you describe. If you want to develop
for both Access 97 users and Access 2000 users, then my advice is to develop
in Access 97 and then convert to Access 2000 for the Access 2000 users, not
the other way around.

--
Brendan Reynolds

"Oliver" <oliverjc@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> I have a database developed fully in Access 2000 which I make
> available to users of both Access 97 and Access 2000. I use a split
> front end/back end arrangement; with the BE in Access 97. When I have
> made developments I reissue the front end in both A97 and A2k formats.
>
> The latest version of the front end works fine in Access 2000, however
> when I convert it to A97, one object (a form), results in a Dr Watson
> Access violation error when it is run, or if I try to open it in
> design view, try to change its name or even just try to delete it.
> However, it works fine if I run that (A97) FE using A2k.
>
> This particular form was not touched in the last round of
> developments; so it has not changed since I successfully issued it in
> the previous version of the FE.
>
> I have tried:
>  - compact and repair
>  - decompiling (both in A2k and A97)
>
> I have now replaced the object from the previous version of the FE (in
> A2k) and reconverted to A97 - this works OK. However, I am concerned
> that this may happen again, and it would be far worse if it had been
> an object I had worked on.
>
> Can anyone help?

0
brenreyn1 (52)