Enabling an Access 97 database for use with Access 2003

We have an Access 97 database app that we'd like to enable (not convert) for
Access 2003. We still have users running 97 and are not prepared to upgrade
everyone who uses this database to the 2003 version yet. We're getting an
error message when we try to do this which reads as follows:

"There were compilation errors during the conversion or enabling of this
database. The database has not been saved in a compiled state. The
performance of this database will be impaired because Microsoft Access will
need to recompile the database for each session."

The MS Knowledgebase doesn't provide much guidance on this issue.

Because we cannot enable the database for 2003, the 2003 users cannot get
into the database while 97 users are logged into it (this is unacceptable).

Anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Terry Block

0
tblock (2)

"Terry Block" <tblock@ncia.net> wrote in message
> We have an Access 97 database app that we'd like to enable (not convert)
for
> Access 2003. We still have users running 97 and are not prepared to
upgrade
> everyone who uses this database to the 2003 version yet. We're getting an
> error message when we try to do this which reads as follows:
>
> "There were compilation errors during the conversion or enabling of this
> database. The database has not been saved in a compiled state. The
> performance of this database will be impaired because Microsoft Access
will
> need to recompile the database for each session."
>
> The MS Knowledgebase doesn't provide much guidance on this issue.
>
> Because we cannot enable the database for 2003, the 2003 users cannot get
> into the database while 97 users are logged into it (this is
unacceptable).

> Anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Terry Block

Starting with the A97 version:
Have you split it front end / back end?
Can you get the code to compile in A97?

Both of these things are pretty essential.  Multi-user databases should be
split so that each user has their own copy of the database front end with
forms, reports, code etc and a shared back end which contains the data.
You should also make sure that the code compiles - if not, you may have all
sorts of (horrendous) coding errors.

Once you have this sorted, you can provide different front ends to different
users depending on what version of Access they have, but the shared back end
data should be in A97 format.

Fletcher

0
fletch1886 (324)
3/1/2004 11:37:28 PM
Also,

Take a look at tools from FMS to help with this kind of thing.  They may
even have a white paper.

www.fmsinc.com

Seth B Spearman

"Terry Block" <tblock@ncia.net> wrote in message
> We have an Access 97 database app that we'd like to enable (not convert)
for
> Access 2003. We still have users running 97 and are not prepared to
upgrade
> everyone who uses this database to the 2003 version yet. We're getting an
> error message when we try to do this which reads as follows:
>
> "There were compilation errors during the conversion or enabling of this
> database. The database has not been saved in a compiled state. The
> performance of this database will be impaired because Microsoft Access
will
> need to recompile the database for each session."
>
> The MS Knowledgebase doesn't provide much guidance on this issue.
>
> Because we cannot enable the database for 2003, the 2003 users cannot get
> into the database while 97 users are logged into it (this is
unacceptable).

> Anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Terry Block

Thanks very much. The database does compile in 97, but I hadn't split it, so
I'll do that and develop a new front end for the 2003 users.

Terry

"Fletcher Arnold" <fletch@home.com> wrote in message
> "Terry Block" <tblock@ncia.net> wrote in message
> > We have an Access 97 database app that we'd like to enable (not convert)
> for
> > Access 2003. We still have users running 97 and are not prepared to
> upgrade
> > everyone who uses this database to the 2003 version yet. We're getting
an
> > error message when we try to do this which reads as follows:
> >
> > "There were compilation errors during the conversion or enabling of this
> > database. The database has not been saved in a compiled state. The
> > performance of this database will be impaired because Microsoft Access
> will
> > need to recompile the database for each session."
> >
> > The MS Knowledgebase doesn't provide much guidance on this issue.
> >
> > Because we cannot enable the database for 2003, the 2003 users cannot
get
> > into the database while 97 users are logged into it (this is
> unacceptable).
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > Terry Block
>

> Starting with the A97 version:
> Have you split it front end / back end?
> Can you get the code to compile in A97?
>
> Both of these things are pretty essential.  Multi-user databases should be
> split so that each user has their own copy of the database front end with
> forms, reports, code etc and a shared back end which contains the data.
> You should also make sure that the code compiles - if not, you may have
all
> sorts of (horrendous) coding errors.
>
> Once you have this sorted, you can provide different front ends to
different
> users depending on what version of Access they have, but the shared back
end
> data should be in A97 format.
>
> Fletcher

0
tblock (2)

Access 2003 database will not open using Access 2002
Hi everyone. I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the following error "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..." Could anyone please help to resolve this issue. Many thanks. Joe. Use Access 2003 to decompile the database. To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the quotes: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb" Then compact the database to get rid of this junk: Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version of Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's supposed to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open the database in A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In practice, this doesn't always work. The decompile explicitly discarding the binary, which usually solves the problem. This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling when switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, r...

problem accessing access 97 database through odbc on windows 2003 sp1
Hello, We have a legacy application which relies on an Access 97 database (upgrading is nog an option atm). As we are setting up a new server (Windows 2003), we started experiencing problems running that application after installing all required updates (Windows, Office, ..) It did work before updating, with a basic OS + application installation. Somewhere an update dit break things, but we do not know which one. Now for the problem. When starting the application, following error is returned: --------------------------- ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed --------------------------- Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application. --------------------------- OK Cancel --------------------------- OK let's you choose another mdb (not an option) and CANCEL fails the app, which is the problem :-) Current versions: * JET version: 4.0.6305.00 - not sure which this is, it's more recent than JET 4 SP8 which is the lates I can download separately. * Office 2000 SR1 with latest updates * MDAC 2.8 SP2 ON WINDOWS SERVER 2003 SP1 (2.82)(ComponentChecker 2.0) What we tried so far, to no good: * http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q310804 * http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310937 * downgrading MDAC, which is seems useless (has no effects on file versions + no relation to odbc?) * downgrading JET 4 (by manually replacing odbcjt32.dll in system32 and system32/dllcache) * Googled to death on the matt...

Use Access 97 or Access 2003
I have an Access 97 runtime database in use with over 300 users scattered around the country. I'm planing on an upgrade to the front end in the next 2-3 months. I'd like to use Access 2003 and upgrade all users to Access runtime 2003 especially because of XML support which would be *very* useful in my app. However, many of my users are *not* on Win XP and I understand that my app in A2003 runtime won't run on less than Win XP. So, am I stuck with Access 97 while I wait for all users to upgrade to XP or later before I port Access 2003? - Mark "Mark G. King" <markgk...

Using Access 2003 package wizard to package a database for a Access 2000 client
I developed an access database in access 2003(keeping my database in the access 2000 format). It has been fully tested to be access 2000 compatible and works great. I am trying to package the final version however and when I tell it to create a shortcut it includeds the path to access 2003 in the shortcut C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ my client is running access 2000. I could not figure any way to change the access application folder loction in the access setup. it is assuming that since I have access 2003 the user of the appliaction does too. is there any way to fix this and still use the package wizard? This begs the question why would you need the runtime for this user if they already got a version of ms-access? Why not just email them the file, or perhaps use WinZip (it can remember the directory you zip to, and even create it for you.). In fact, you can create a self extracting zip file, and it will be a zillion times smaller then suing the package and deployment wizard to JUST TRANSFER a mdb file to that user. Unless the end user needs the a2003 runtime, then I see no reason at all to use the package wizard. Just zip and email the person the file!! You are not installing the runtime here, and obviously you don't need it...so I think you got the wrong tool here to just send a person a simple mdb file, and they already got ms-access installed (and, worse, a different version). You cannot effectually use, and install the a2003 runtime ...

Access 97 .mdws with Access XP databases
I'm working at a company that is upgrading from Access 97 to 2002. We have a number of '97 databases that are .mdw secured, but in no case has anyone saved the original PIDs and SIDs used to create the security files and accounts. I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97 .mdws with the converted 2002 databases. Are there side effects? I have heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access 2K databases. Any info would be appreciated. "brucedodds2" <bruce.dodds@fmglobal.com> wrote in news:1130179432.172463.288340@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com: > I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97 > .mdws with the converted 2002 databases. Are there side effects? > I have heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access > 2K databases. I haven't seen that, but I've only used that setup very occasionally. Keep in mind that A2K+ MDWs bloat a lot more than A97 ones, so it may be an issue that only looks significant on the surface. -- David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc brucedodds2 <bruce.dodds@fmglobal.com> typed: : I'm working at a company that is upgrading from Access 97 to 2002. We : have a number of '97 databases that are .mdw secured, but in no case : has anyone saved the original PIDs and SIDs used to create the : security file...

View Access 2003 database in Access 2000
How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? rahulghai12@gmail.com wrote: > How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? > look here http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HP051863711033.aspx ...

No access to .dbf files in access 97 after installing access 2003
Hello, I need to maintain an access97 database that is linked to dbf's, but after having installed access 2003, when I try to link a .dbf file to an access97 database, I only have access and odbc when the dialog box to choose the external table comes up. I tried going to control panel and change my office 97 setup. When I go to the data access option, dbf is grayed out with a checkmark in it and it states that dbf access is already installed. Yet, I don't have access to that option when trying to link my dbf table to the access97 database. Any way to get that option back on? Thanks! ...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Access 97 to Access 2003
Am about to upgrade several machines running access 97 to new boxes with access 2003. Got a massive access front end DB with a SQL back end. Guess I will have to "upgrade" that '97 front. Anyone have any advice or things to watch out for? Any VBA hasles? Horror stories?? Hope it goes seamlessly... Got enough headaches. Hi Tom. This link contains our experience with upgrading Access. It does not address the SQL Server aspects, but does describe Setup, Conversion, and Usability issues: Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003 at: http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/ser-48.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Tom" <harristomm@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:zSMYc.566$Ae.504@newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net... > Am about to upgrade several machines running access 97 to new boxes with > access 2003. Got a massive access front end DB with a SQL back end. > Guess > I will have to "upgrade" that '97 front. > > Anyone have any advice or things to watch out for? Any VBA hasles? > Horror > stories?? > > Hope it goes seamlessly... Got enough headaches. > > Slight differences between the Jet 3.5 and Jet 4 connections to MSSQL. Firstly, identity insert works seamlessly like in Access :~) And Unicode support :~). But transac...

Access 97 or Access 2003
Hi everybody I want to use an Access database in a Visual Basic 6 program. Question: -Should I use Access 97 or Access 2003? Thank's On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:28:20 -0400, "Sylmena" <sylmena1@hotmail.com> wrote: > I want to use an Access database in a Visual Basic 6 program. > >Question: >-Should I use Access 97 or Access 2003? If you use MS Access '97, more people will be able to access your data. Access '97 doesn't use Unicode - a space/speed advantage if you are not storing Russian or a language other than English. I can't think ...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soame active content has been disabled. Click for more details." then there is a button "Enable Content". Before and after I click the "Enable Button" the file tab only has print options available. Thank you for your help, jfcby jfcby <jamesfc30@gmail.com> wrote in news:f4dc9993-afa3-4fed-8180-22786eaa7f83@l14g2000yql.googlegroups.co m: > How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access > 2010 file format? > > According to Microsoft > (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ > convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? > queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is > possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the > print options only. > > How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to > display? ...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Using Access to 'access' an sql database on a webserver
Is this possible? I know about a bit about ODBC and found how to import an ODBC database stored on the computer, however I am after accessing an SQL database stored on a webserver. I'd like to keep it up to date, but that could probably be done with a macro. At the moment I'm just considoring possible options, so just need to know if it can be done, how easy and a rough idea of how. Any help would be much appreciated! Flic On 6 Oct 2006 03:59:25 -0700, "Flic" <FelicityP@gmail.com> wrote: I typically create an ADP, then connect to such db specifying the IP address and the u/pw I got from the ISP. -Tom. >Is this possible? > >I know about a bit about ODBC and found how to import an ODBC database >stored on the computer, however I am after accessing an SQL database >stored on a webserver. I'd like to keep it up to date, but that could >probably be done with a macro. > >At the moment I'm just considoring possible options, so just need to >know if it can be done, how easy and a rough idea of how. > >Any help would be much appreciated! > >Flic Yes, you can connect to the sql server. However, how that server is exposed to the wild wild internet is another matter!! Most (if not all) administrators of their web sites NEVER EVER allow their database server to be exposed to a wide open port on the internet. So, can you do this...sure. However, you need go to web server, and setup the permissions to a...

Using Iseries Access ODBC Driver with MS ACCESS 2003
When Trying attaching databases into MsAccess2003 using Iseries Access ODBC Driver (I'm in OS400 v5r2) I get an error message according to which the duration of connection is too long and so I can't attach the database although I got the list of the tables in the library I specified. Can anyone help me ? Thanks in advance. The timeout to dispay de data is small. You need to increase this timeout. The problem can occur when the tables are very very very (but very) big. "Bertrand Bard" <bbard@dehon.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:d01a5cc.0404280030.58f11d3e@posting.go...

Web resources about - Enabling an Access 97 database for use with Access 2003 - comp.databases.ms-access

Enabling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article discusses enabling in its counseling or psychological sense. For enabling in an empowerment sense, see empowerment . For enabling ...

Blueye Launches Loyalty Hub, Enabling Marketers To Identify, Segment Most Valuable Facebook Fans
Social commerce provider Blueye launched engagement platform Loyalty Hub , aimed at aiding brands in creating, managing, and monetizing multistage ...

Facebook Opens Status API, Enabling a New Class of “Real-Time” Facebook Applications
Tonight, Facebook announced the release of several new Facebook Platform APIs, all of which enable application developers to access and share ...

Enabling A Rush of Innovati
... and an ecosystem of innovation b...... Skip to main content Blog Have an account? Sign in Search form Search All Twitter Blogs &nbsp Enabling ...

Industrial Internet of Things by Honeywell… Enabling Digital Transformation - YouTube
There’s a lot of hype about the Industrial Internet of Things and how your business can benefit. An iiOT approach promises to help you maximize ...

Terror laws clear Senate, enabling entire Australian web to be monitored and whistleblowers to be jailed ...
Australian spies will soon have the power to monitor the entire Australian internet with just one warrant, and journalists and whistleblowers ...

Terror laws clear Senate, enabling entire Australian web to be monitored and whistleblowers to be jailed ...
Australian spies will soon have the power to monitor the entire Australian internet with just one warrant, and journalists and whistleblowers ...

Federal government embracing Apple Pay, enabling support for federal-payment cards
... AAPL Company Continue reading more about AAPL Company at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Federal government embracing Apple Pay, enabling ...

Barack Obama and his enabling opposition
The classic anti-murder talking point peddled by prophets and other long-haired purists has been that murder is wrong. Or, put another way: Murder ...

Turkey enabling Iraqi Kurdish forces to cross borders and defend Kobane
Move comes a day after US began airdropping arms to defenders of the besieged Syrian town