Environ("username") / Dev Ashish's "fOSUserName" function return '#Name?' on some clients

I am trying to retrieve the user name (network login) of clients
running a local Access DB. We use Access 2000 / 2003 and Windows XP SP
2.

I have used 2 different ways to access this information from within
Access:
OPTION 1: Use Environ("username")
OPTION 2: Use Dev Ashish's code (http://www.mvps.org/access/api/
api0008.htm)

Both options seem to behave exactly the same for me.

But this is my problem:
On some clients I correctly retrieve the network login name and on
some other clients I retrieve '#Name?'.
On ALL clients though, if you you open command prompt and execute
'echo %username%' you get the correct answer - even on the clients
that I get the '#Name?' answer.
I suspect I have some missing reference somewhere in the clients that
can't display the username correctly but I don't know how to go about
it.

Any assistance is appreciated.

0
max.vit (2)

There's "Unix", and then there's "UNIX(r)"
From TOW[1]: The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux is the most popular non-certified workalike. So, to summarize: "Unix" is a class of operating systems that is "UNIX-like", which includes Linux. "UNIX(r)" is a trademark of the Open group, who -- somewhat snootily -- have an issue with the term "UNIX-like". (They can take a flying fsck.) "Cult of Unix" spells "Unix" as "Unix", because otherwise, what would it have to do with Linux? This PSA brought to you by the letter "U" and the number "2". -v Unix minions, unite! On 2/9/14, 1:15 PM, in article ld8nlg$bu7$1@dont-email.me, "vallor" <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote: > From TOW[1]: > > The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX > trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems > compliant with its standard, the Single UN...

Why doesn't Python's "robotparser" like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file?
For some reason, Python's parser for "robots.txt" files doesn't like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file: >>> import robotparser >>> url = 'http://wikipedia.org/robots.txt' >>> chk = robotparser.RobotFileParser() >>> chk.set_url(url) >>> chk.read() >>> testurl = 'http://wikipedia.org' >>> chk.can_fetch('Mozilla', testurl) False >>> The Wikipedia robots.txt file passes robots.txt validation, and it doesn't disallow unknown browsers. But the Python pars...

Re: Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''')
Russell Nelson wrote: > If you need to put a single quote in, then you put > an arbitrary string in-between the single quotes which does NOT > appear in the string. For example, "Bill's house" becomes > 'x'Bill's house'x'. So possible examples might be: 'xx'somebody's mother'xx' 'xy'somebody's father'xy' 'wink'somebody's uncle'wink' 'quote'somebody's body'quote' not terrible easy on the eyes, and why use the single quote at all? Why no= t use a similar pattern li...

Another snappy turtle has entered into the COLA pond name 'owl'. That's "LiveAction"! "Come get you some"! <-- Turtle Man syaings
Owl is LiveAction! :) Big Steel <TheBigOnethe1111@thebigtwooneof111.com> wrote: > Owl is LiveAction! :) "LiveAction" sounds like some MS crapware. Did I get that right? Owl is LiveAction! On 9/2/2012 9:55 AM, Big Steel wrote: > Owl is LiveAction! Owls don't eat seeds. ...

[why are trailing '\n's missing in "$x"]: x="$(printf "hi\n\n")"; printf "$x"
Ex ~ $ printf "hi\n\n"|cat -A hi$ $ ~ $ x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" ~ $ printf "$x"|cat -A hi~ $ Why are the trailing '\n's not in "$x"? Is there any way to stop this, w/o using a tempfile? -- thanks! On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: > x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" x="$(printf "%s" "hi\n\n")" Best regards, Cyrus In article <bibnk6Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>, Cyrus Kriticos <cyrus.kriticos@googlemail.com> wrote: >On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: >> x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" > >x="$(printf "%s" "hi\n\n")" > >Best regards, >Cyrus Which is, at best, a pedantic nitpick, having nothing to do with OP's problem. In fact, ITYM: x="$(printf "%s\n\n" "hi")" (which still doesn't solve OP's problem, but at least demonstrates better pedantry) -- Watching ConservaLoons playing with statistics and facts is like watching a newborn play with a computer. Endlessly amusing, but totally unproductive. On 12/30/2013 12:00 AM, Kenny McCormack wrote: > In article <bibnk6Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>, > Cyrus Kriticos <cyrus.kriticos@googlemail.com> wrote: >> On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: >>> x="...

'quote' to `quote'
Hi, what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally into `shocking', said Sally automatically as Tex read the author.txt file? Does this method also change "whatever happens," he said into ``whatever happens.'' he said. David R David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> wrote: > what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally > into `shocking', said Sally > automatically as Tex read the > author.txt file? It is possible (e.g. via an active '). But I suspect, this is a lot easier using a script language or similar. Also you should consider ['s] coming from genitive and other uses of the apostrophe. Yours sincerely Heiko <oberdiek@uni-freiburg.de> David R wrote: > what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally > into `shocking', said Sally > automatically as Tex read the > author.txt file? Tricky thing to do on the TeX level because you can't tell a quote from an apostrophe in a reliable and efficient way. This will probably require pre-processing of author.txt (it's no big deal with regular expressions). > Does this method also change "whatever happens," he said > into ``whatever happens.'' he said. Assuming you're using Latex: try the csquotes package. See \MakeOuterQuote{"} in the tutorial. -- Sender address blackholed; do not reply to From: address. You can still reach me by email at: plehman gmx net. On Wed, 10 Ja...

Re: Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''') #2
Russell Nelson notes: > = > Choose poor examples, and then criticize them as poor choices? > = true enough, but the suggested scheme introduces another variable into the = language syntax; I might always make good choices <wink> on what delimiter = I choose, but I might also end up working on code written by someone else w= ho makes less good choices. Or vice versa. = > Exactly. It really would be better to have one(1) string literal > which can quote anything without reverting to backslashing. Why one? > Simpler parsing, simpler learning of the language, fewe...

Dijkstra's "Enumeration" = "Metrics" his "Abstraction" = "Quality"
"Enumerative reasoning is only an adequate mental tool under the severe boundary condition that we only use it very moderately. We should appreciate abstraction as our main mental technique to reduce the demands made upon enumerative reasoning." ~ EW Dijkstra This is critically decisive because Dijkstra is saying that in most *software engineering" contexts, most of the time, abstraction is key relative to "metrics", the numerical, the quantitative. It is a TOWWWEEERRRING, grand slam "home run". It is of Doug William's 3-4 perfectly pitched Super Bowl touchdowns. It is growth in insight after Dijkstra one of THE very best ran into major impasses attempting to drive development with metrics. His insight is that ABSTRACTION should "lead" the way. While there is the dialectic: metrics<=>abstraction The predominant factor to engage and lead software engineering by is "abstraction". So notation wise better: metrics<=>abstraction* And to denote analyzing or summarizing the dialectic applied in whatever context, from point 'a' to 'b': a,b{ metrics<=>abstraction* Discrete points: a,b; l,q{ metrics<=>abstraction* Have at your own meaningful fun! Elliott -- Global Plans + IID = part of an optimal approach On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:36:17 -0500, "Universe" <universe@tAkEcovadOuT.net> wrote: >"Enumerative reasoning is only an adequate mental tool und...

expect script : "expect 'X', send 'Y'" until expect "Z".
Hi. I am having some difficulties with an expect script, and was hoping someone could help me out here. I am running a scripted telnet session to some 'black box' appliance, and would like to retrieve the output of a particular command. However, the output of the command is longer than a single screen full. Since it was designed for interactive use, you get the magic string "[=More (xx%)=]" after each screenfull of output, at which point the command expects you to hit the spacebar in order to get another screenfull of output. Of course, I could just "send <space>" a few times, but since I have no idea how long the output will be in advance, this does not appear to be such a good approach. It looks like I would have to do something were I keep sending a space as long as I keep getting/expecting the string "[=More (xx%)=]", and stop doing that after I have gotten/expected the prompt again. (which is "% "). Does anyone have any idea on how to do such a thing in expect ? Of course, other suggestions to tackle the same problem are welcome as well of course. Sincerely, John Smith. "J.Smith" <lbalbalba@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:737da4e2.0410200305.1f12696f@posting.google.com... > Hi. > > > I am having some difficulties with an expect script, and was hoping > someone could help me out here. > > > I am running a scripted telnet session to some 'black box' applianc...

Lisp's "some" and "every" functions
Dear Perl community, Recently I've been learning some Lisp on my own, and I've come across two Lisp functions that I wish Perl had: "some" and "every". They work somewhat like "grep" and "map" in that they operate on a list given a function, but they return only a boolean value. For example, in Lisp, to find out if at least one number in a list is an odd number, you could write: (some #'oddp '(1 2 3 4 5)) or even: (some (lambda (x) (= 1 (mod x 2))) '(1 2 3 4 5)) In Perl, you COULD write: if ( gre...

sed 's/"""//' foobar | more
Hello I am a total newbie to sed, and I am using sed on DOS, I guess from some kind of Unix-compatible toolset that is installed: >C:\tmp>which sed /usr/bin/sed Please tell me why is this (foobar is an empty file): C:\tmp>sed 's/"""//' foobar | more sed: can't read |: No such file or directory sed: can't read more: No such file or directory Normally, DOS | is a special character and is not included on the command line for commands (such as sed), instead, it is a pipe. But here, sed wants to think | is a file. Now, if I omit one quote, everything wo...

'Here's the thing about Apple's "recent"�success.'
'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the world, second most profitable company in the world, most profitable retail stores in the world, best-selling smart phone, second best-selling smart phone, best-selling tablet computer, etc. Other numbers have not changed: customer satisfaction, customer loyalty, consumer ratings, etc.' <http://granthuhn.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/heres-the-thing-about-apples-r ecent-success/> -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM) 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun) "Alan Baker" wrote in message news:alangbaker-70BC8E.10314523092011@news.shawcable.net... 'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the wor...

Dev C++ Err "expected `]' before ';' token" / source "DWORD rtec_Stack[XYZ_SIZE] __attribute__((aligned(4)));"
In Dev C++, we tried to compile a application, but it will throw some peculiar error. please find it below "path/main.cpp expected `]' before ';' token" and the source code is "DWORD rtec_Stack[XYZ_SIZE] __attribute__((aligned(4)));" is this problem of envirnment or else? nagaraj wrote: > In Dev C++, we tried to compile a application, but it will throw some > peculiar error. please find it below > > "path/main.cpp expected `]' before ';' token" and the source code is > "DWORD rtec_Stack[XYZ_SIZE] __attribute__((align...

Modem ping: "chat -v -s '' 'ATZ' < /dev/modem > /dev/modem" fails?
On machine-1 the command line: chat -v -s '' 'ATZ' < /dev/modem > /dev/modem returns: send (ATZ^M) and I get my command line back, but the same command on machine-2 fails, it doesn't give me back the command line it just hangs there with no output. There are also no chat processes running when I issue 'ps aux' on another terminal. Both machines successfully work at connecting to the internet with the default ppp/chat scripts, the only difference is machine-1 has /dev/modem->/dev/ttyS3 (internal modem) and machine-2 has /dev/modem->/dev/ttyS1 (exte...

Modem ping: "chat -v -s '' 'ATZ' < /dev/ttyS1 > /dev/ttyS1" fails?
On machine-1 the command line: chat -v -s '' 'ATZ' < /dev/modem > /dev/modem returns: send (ATZ^M) and I get my command line back, but the same command on machine-2 fails, it doesn't give me back the command line it just hangs there with no output. There are also no chat processes running when I issue 'ps aux' on another terminal. Both machines successfully work at connecting to the internet with the default ppp/chat scripts, the only difference is machine-1 has /dev/modem->/dev/ttyS3 (internal modem) and machine-2 has /dev/modem->/dev/ttyS...

"connect'" returns before server "accept"s
It seems even in a blocking socket world, "connect" can return immediately if the server has been set to "listen" but has not called "accept" yet. This is mentioned on the HPUX11 connect manpage, and I've seen the behaviour on Sun even though the manpage doesnt mention it. Is there a way to get "connect" to really block until accept() is called? If this is not possible, perhaps there is a more specific solution for my actual problem: (1) A connection was established between client (connect) and server (bind + listen + accept). After communication, a...

What's wrong with this: street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5
Hi, I wanted to remove the first zero from 0416 E. BAILEY 101, but not from 0 S 356 MADISON. I ran the following code and I have problem with the line: ------------------------ street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5; ---------------------- My desired output is something like this under one single variable "street_n": 416 E. BAILEY 101 0S356 MADISON Hope to get some help from out there. Thanks, Duckhye. data a; input street $1-19; cards; 0416 E. BAILEY 101 0 S 356 MADISON ; run; data b;set a; addr1=put(left(scan...

putty terminal, where's the "do" "select" "remove" key?
I want to start using putty, but I can't figure out where all the lk201 keys are. Any help??? On 2013-05-14 16:45:02 +0000, jon@jonathanleslie.com said: > I want to start using putty, but I can't figure out where all the lk201 > keys are. Any help??? Start reading here <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/function-keys.html> and here <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/faq.html#faq-keyboard> and particularly here <http://www.parsec.com/general/technical.php?i=2513&r=7K5K3H&d=OpenVMS>. qv: NumLock is PF1 in VT400 mode, and the editing keypad is listed there, too. In general, dependencies on function keys are full of fail in this era. It hurts, yes, but the faster you get rid of your dependences on this morass, the better off you'll be. -- Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:45:02 PM UTC-4, j...@jonathanleslie.com wrote: > I want to start using putty, but I can't figure out where all the lk201 keys are. Any help??? Forget about PuTTY. Tera Term is a much better free VT emulation. http://logmett.com/index.php?/products/teraterm.html Neil Rieck Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/OpenVMS.html In article <0327fda4-76e6-4197-ae6d-c8ffa7e172a1@googlegroups.com>, jon@jonathanleslie.com writes: > I want to start using putty, but I can'...

In Metapost, What's the difference between "=" and ":="?
Hi, I don't see explanation about the difference between "=" and ":=" in Metapost? Do you know what's the difference? Thanks, Peng Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, > > I don't see explanation about the difference between "=" and ":=" in > Metapost? > > Do you know what's the difference? := is an assignment: "go put that value in there right now", = is just another constraint that will be solved: "go find a solution that satisfies this constraint." Of course, with "a=3cm", there's not many values that will work for a. Consider a = 3cm; a := 4cm; If the second assignment were just an equation, mpost would complain that 3cm does not equal 4cm, because you're saying you want a to be 3cm and 4cm at the same time. HTH Ulrich -- Getting lost in the \footnotes and \temporals? Talcum makes LaTeX more fun. Now with whole new bugs ;), and, of course, still with special Beamer support. http://talcum.sarovar.org/ (Current release: 0.4.3) Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> writes: > I don't see explanation about the difference between "=" and ":=" in > Metapost? > > Do you know what's the difference? The METAFONT-book (among others) explains this. := is just the ordinary assignment of most programming languages: it unbinds the variable at the left side, calculates the value at the right side and then ass...

Re: What's wrong with this: street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5
Dear Dyang, You have this street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5 ; But I think you want this street_n=addr1_1||" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5; HTH, Charles Patridge "Charles Patridge" <charles_s_patridge@PRODIGY.NET> wrote in message news:200403041919.i24JJEo15087@listserv.cc.uga.edu... > Dear Dyang, > > You have this > > street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5 ; > > B...

MS: "XP is End Of Life" Resellers(no fear): "F U MS, We're Still Sellin' It" Heh heh.
MS power is not waning. It is Dead. ONLY inertia inertia inertia inertia inertia inertia keeps them alive. ...

'Parse error' problem in "isset" and "empty"
I've been having some problems with a parse error that I can't figure out (PHP 4.3.11 on Solaris9). Sample code: <?php // getting strange parse errors on this class A { var $value; function A() { $this->value = 1; } function getValue() { return $this->value; } } $a = new A(); if (!empty($a->getValue())) { echo "success"; } else { echo "failure"; } ?> The result of this is: Parse error: parse error, unexpected '(', expecting ')' in /foo/public_html/parse_errors.php on line 15 I also get the same effect with "iss...

90's Game -- Spielberg's "Director's Chair"
This seems like a long shot (get it...long shot?) but is anybody reading this group familiar with a game called Steven Spielberg's Director's Chair from the mid-nineties? Actually, it's more of a movie- studio familiarizer than a game, per se, but it does have its strong points in terms of recreating a certain, Hollywood-y atmosphere. I'm curious because, when I run this program on a Windows 2000 box, I keep hitting an "Internal Error" during my first dip in The Lab. I can hear the first line of dialogue repeat about three times, then it shuts me down. Becau...

Re: What's wrong with this: street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5 #3
If you run Version 9, use the CATX function instead. On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:55:20 -0600, Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG> wrote: >Hi, >I wanted to remove the first zero from 0416 E. BAILEY 101, but not from >0 S 356 MADISON. >I ran the following code and I have problem with the line: >------------------------ >street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5; >---------------------- > >My desired output is something like this under one single variable "street_n": >416 E. BAILEY 101 >0S356 MADISON > >Hope to get some help from out there. >Thanks, >Duckhye. > > >data a; input street $1-19; >cards; >0416 E. BAILEY 101 >0 S 356 MADISON >; >run; > >data b;set a; >addr1=put(left(scan(street, 1, ' ')), 10.); >addr2=put(left(scan(street, 2, ' ')), 10.); >addr3=put(left(scan(street, 3, ' ')), 10.); >addr4=put(left(scan(street, 4, ' ')), 10.); >addr5=put(left(scan(street, 5, ' ')), 10.); >If addr1 =:'0 ' then do; >street_n=INPUT(compress(addr1||addr2||addr3)||" "||compress(addr4) ||" "||compress(addr5), $50.); >end; >else If addr1 ^=:'0 ' and addr1=:'0' then >do; >addr1_1=substr(addr1,2,length(addr1)); >street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5; >end; ...

Web resources about - Environ("username") / Dev Ashish's "fOSUserName" function return '#Name?' on some clients - comp.databases.ms-access