error: linking mysql tables (odbc) from ms-access: "Could not find installable ISAM"

I have been connecting to mysql tables from ms-access vba through odbc
[MySQL]
[ODBC 3.51 Driver] connection string and everything is ok.

when I try to create a permanent link to mysql tables from ms-access
menu > file > get
external data > ODBC > user dsn, I get: =93ODBC call failed=94 error.

when I try to create a permanent link from ms-access VBA ADOX, I get:
"Could not find
installable ISAM".

when I search ISAM error I found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/209805/EN-=
US/
article
attributing error cause to unregistered dll, I have followed the 2
recipes mention there
but nothing happened.

The article above says: ISAM drivers are used by Access to update file
formats other than its own. If the path of the ISAM driver in your
Windows Registry is not valid, or if the ISAM driver does not exist,
the problem may occur.

my question is: what exactly dll name ms-access is asking for and
how to register it in order that ms-access can find it or any other
valuable information that help to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance
0
tele

It sounds to me like the ODBC driver is not properly registered. I
would do two things in this case.

1) Uninstall and re-install the driver
2) Edit the registry where the ODBC drivers are listed and delete the
(Default) value. I dont know why but sometimes when an ODBC driver is
installed it is unable to register properly with the system (sometimes
wont even list in the ODBC administrator). Deleteing whatever value is
listed in (Defualt), even if it looks blank, and then restarting the
machine seems to eliminate the problem.

The registry key is: My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC
\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers

You should see a list of all ODBC Drivers there on the pc, and it
seems that deleteing (Default)'s value causes some sort of reset. The
next time you try to use ODBC Administrator for example it will take a
moment longer to 'boot' because it seems to have to read them all
again, and their settings etc.....

I have had this issue with several ODBC drivers for various databases,
including MySQL, Oracle 10g, SQL Adaptive Server Anywhere, and SQL
Server. I dont think it is a bug in any of the ODBC drivers so much as
a bug in Windows. I am using XP.

Cheers

The Frog
0
The
12/10/2010 9:14:43 AM
On Dec 10, 5:14=A0am, The Frog <mr.frog.to....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> It sounds to me like the ODBC driver is not properly registered. I
> would do two things in this case.
>
> 1) Uninstall and re-install the driver
> 2) Edit the registry where the ODBC drivers are listed and delete the
> (Default) value. I dont know why but sometimes when an ODBC driver is
> installed it is unable to register properly with the system (sometimes
> wont even list in the ODBC administrator). Deleteing whatever value is
> listed in (Defualt), even if it looks blank, and then restarting the
> machine seems to eliminate the problem.
>
> The registry key is: My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC
> \ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers
>
> You should see a list of all ODBC Drivers there on the pc, and it
> seems that deleteing (Default)'s value causes some sort of reset. The
> next time you try to use ODBC Administrator for example it will take a
> moment longer to 'boot' because it seems to have to read them all
> again, and their settings etc.....
>
> I have had this issue with several ODBC drivers for various databases,
> including MySQL, Oracle 10g, SQL Adaptive Server Anywhere, and SQL
> Server. I dont think it is a bug in any of the ODBC drivers so much as
> a bug in Windows. I am using XP.
>
> Cheers
>
> The Frog

Hi the frog, thanks for your time and answer,

Later of review registries keys as you advise me I went to odbc admin
on windows xp and delete mysql odbc driver 3.51, installed a copy of
driver 5.1 available on my hard disk, defined 5.1 driver on odbc
admin, relinks mysql tables on ms-access and (voil=E1) linking worked
fine, :-)

you=92re right it must be a kind of installation bug at windows level
rather than a odbc driver problem,

Thanks for your time and advise you drove me to the solution, thanks
again.
0
tele
12/10/2010 12:03:50 PM
Glad to help. That bug drove me nuts for literally weeks before I
found a 'random' post on the internet that helped me solve it. Its now
one of those little 'golden nuggets' that I keep stored away in the
back of my mind for occasions just such as this :-)

Cheers

The Frog
0
The
12/10/2010 3:46:30 PM
wow.. why would anyone use mySQL with Access?

SQL Server is _SOOOOOO_ much better.. and it integrates with Access-- it's much easier to use Access Data Projects than linked tables.
0
aaron.kempf (199)