error message!

Hello again everyone,

Hope you can help.

I have a form with a lot of code going on in the background but I
can't find the route cause of the following error message.

Update or Cancel Update Without Add New or Edit.

I understand that when trying to update records you have to work
correctly with recordsets etc which I am ok with.  But this error
occurs seemingly on a random basis.  The error occurs when the users
click (not tab) into some of the fields on the form.
This error also doesn't allow me to look into the code (ie no debug
option in the error window and no response to Break).

It can't be the code in the fields because I don't have any on click
or on enter event handlers.  On any of the fields that the error has
occured on.

Does anyone have any ideas?
0
westmj (50)

Without your code, it's hard to tell, but here's a link to a Google
post that was about this subject ...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3bb011c9%241%40usenetgateway.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3D%2522Without%2520Add%2520New%2522%26safe%3Dimages%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26as_ugroup%3Dcomp.databases.ms-access%26lr%3D%26num%3D100%26hl%3Den
(watch for word wrap on this long, long link)

Basically, it says your recordset code should follow this pattern.

If Not rst.BOF Then rst.MoveFirst
Do Until rst.EOF
    rst.Edit
    rst!FieldName = "my text"
    rst.Update
    rst.MoveNext
Loop

Are you doing a MoveFirst to begin?  Are you calling the Edit method?
Maybe you should post your code.
--
Danny J. Lesandrini
dlesandrini@hotmail.com

"Michael" <westmj@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:aff51963.0312091719.685b4231@posting.google.com...
> Hello again everyone,
>
> Hope you can help.
>
> I have a form with a lot of code going on in the background but I
> can't find the route cause of the following error message.
>
> Update or Cancel Update Without Add New or Edit.
>
> I understand that when trying to update records you have to work
> correctly with recordsets etc which I am ok with.  But this error
> occurs seemingly on a random basis.  The error occurs when the users
> click (not tab) into some of the fields on the form.
> This error also doesn't allow me to look into the code (ie no debug
> option in the error window and no response to Break).
>
> It can't be the code in the fields because I don't have any on click
> or on enter event handlers.  On any of the fields that the error has
> occured on.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

0
dlesandrini (276)
12/10/2003 12:52:10 PM
Danny,
Thanks for your message.  The problem is finding out where the error
is occuring because the error doesn't seem to be occuring on any code
that I can detect.

I have wrapped all of my code with a error tracking script that writes
all the errors to a table, but this hasn't turned anything up.

One suggestion is to export all the database objects to another blank
database which might clear any niggly errors like this.  I might try
this if I don't get any joy.

Thanks again for your help.

:)

"Danny J. Lesandrini" <dlesandrini@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<br74vb$2996$1@ID-82595.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Without your code, it's hard to tell, but here's a link to a Google
> post that was about this subject ...
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3bb011c9%241%40usenetgateway.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3D%2522Without%2520Add%2520New%2522%26safe%3Dimages%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26as_ugroup%3Dcomp.databases.ms-access%26lr%3D%26num%3D100%26hl%3Den
> (watch for word wrap on this long, long link)
>
> Basically, it says your recordset code should follow this pattern.
>
> If Not rst.BOF Then rst.MoveFirst
> Do Until rst.EOF
>     rst.Edit
>     rst!FieldName = "my text"
>     rst.Update
>     rst.MoveNext
> Loop
>
> Are you doing a MoveFirst to begin?  Are you calling the Edit method?
> Maybe you should post your code.
> --
> Danny J. Lesandrini
> dlesandrini@hotmail.com
> http://amazecreations.com/datafast
>

> "Michael" <westmj@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:aff51963.0312091719.685b4231@posting.google.com...
> > Hello again everyone,
> >
> > Hope you can help.
> >
> > I have a form with a lot of code going on in the background but I
> > can't find the route cause of the following error message.
> >
> > Update or Cancel Update Without Add New or Edit.
> >
> > I understand that when trying to update records you have to work
> > correctly with recordsets etc which I am ok with.  But this error
> > occurs seemingly on a random basis.  The error occurs when the users
> > click (not tab) into some of the fields on the form.
> > This error also doesn't allow me to look into the code (ie no debug
> > option in the error window and no response to Break).
> >
> > It can't be the code in the fields because I don't have any on click
> > or on enter event handlers.  On any of the fields that the error has
> > occured on.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas?
0
westmj (50)
12/10/2003 11:44:39 PM
On 10 Dec 2003 15:44:39 -0800 in comp.databases.ms-access,
westmj@hotmail.com (Michael) wrote:

>Danny,
>Thanks for your message.  The problem is finding out where the error
>is occuring because the error doesn't seem to be occuring on any code
>that I can detect.
>
>I have wrapped all of my code with a error tracking script that writes
>all the errors to a table, but this hasn't turned anything up.
>
>One suggestion is to export all the database objects to another blank
>database which might clear any niggly errors like this.  I might try
>this if I don't get any joy.

That won't help, it's a PITA I have to live with, maybe some
triggering code that updates another bound control on the form and yes
it happens randomly (not in any recordset based operations so the help
and KB on it are useless).

Below is some trapping code I came up for it, works most of the time,
basically it runs around the form and collects all the values so far,
undoes the current record then goes around and pokes everything back
in.

in the form use:

Private Sub Form_Error(DataErr As Integer, Response As Integer)
    Dim lngError As Long

    lngError = DataErr
    Select Case lngError
        Case 7787, 7786, 0 ' can't remember what these were :-\
            Response = acDataErrContinue
        Case 3020
            Error3020 Me, Response
        Case Else
            MsgBox "Error #" & lngError & " - " &
AccessError(lngError), vbCritical, Me.Name & " Form Error Event"
            Response = acDataErrDisplay
    End Select
End Sub

An in the timer event:

Private Sub Form_Timer()
    Select Case Me.TimerInterval
        Case 302
            Me.TimerInterval = 301
            Error3020Timer
        Case Else
    End Select
End Sub

Now the module that does the bees knees:
(basSillyErrors)
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Dim mstrParentFormName3020 As String
Dim mstrFormName3020 As String
Dim mstrCtlName3020 As String
Dim mvarCtlValue3020 As Variant

Function Error3020(pfrm As Form, Response As Integer)
    ' Error Trapped: 06/05/2000 10:00:36 sa
    On Error GoTo Error3020_Err
    ' called from Form Error 3020 that hapens when Access gets
    ' it's knickers in a twist.
    Dim varCtl() As Variant
    Dim ctl As Control, i As Integer

    ' reset these
    mstrParentFormName3020 = Screen.ActiveForm.Name
    mstrFormName3020 = pfrm.Name
    mstrCtlName3020 = ""
    mvarCtlValue3020 = Null

    ReDim varCtl(0 To pfrm.Controls.Count - 1)
    For Each ctl In pfrm.Controls
        varCtl(i) = Null
        ' cannie do anything with the current
        ' control
        If ctl.Name <> pfrm.ActiveControl.Name Then
            varCtl(i) = ControlValue(ctl)
        Else
            ' plug these in in the timer event as it won't
            ' accept them until after this error event
            ' has completed.
            mstrCtlName3020 = pfrm.ActiveControl.Name
            mvarCtlValue3020 = ctl.Text
        End If
        Debug.Print varCtl(i)
        i = i + 1
    Next
    pfrm.Undo
    pfrm.Undo

    i = 0

    For Each ctl In pfrm.Controls
        Debug.Print ctl.Name
        If Not ctl.ControlSource Like "=*" Then
            If Left(varCtl(i), 7) <> "#Error " Then
                If "" & ctl.Value <> "" & varCtl(i) Then
                    If ctl.Name <> pfrm.ActiveControl.Name Then
                        ctl.Value = varCtl(i)
                    End If
                End If
            End If
        End If
        i = i + 1
    Next

    Response = acDataErrContinue
    ' set up the timer to plug the values into
    ' the current control but you must make sure that
    ' the form's timer event calls Error3020Timer if the
    ' TimerInterval property is set to 302 and also
    ' set it to a different value so it don't keep
    ' on calling the code every 302 milliseconds.
    pfrm.TimerInterval = 302 ' (3020/10)

Error3020_Exit:
    On Error Resume Next
    Exit Function
Error3020_Err:
    Select Case Err
        Case 438 ' object doesn't support this property or method
            ' who gives a rat's arse?
            Resume Next
        Case Else
            LogMsgBox Err, Err.Description, 16, "Error #" & Err & " In
Error3020()"
    End Select
    Resume Error3020_Exit
    Resume
End Function

Public Function Error3020Timer()
    ' Error Trapped: 07/11/2001 16:58:35 sa
    On Error GoTo Error3020Timer_Err

    Dim frm As Form, ctl As Control

    If mstrFormName3020 = mstrParentFormName3020 Then
        Set frm = Forms(mstrFormName3020)
    Else
        Set frm =
Forms(mstrParentFormName3020).Controls(mstrFormName3020).Form
    End If
    Set ctl = frm(mstrCtlName3020)
    ctl.Value = mvarCtlValue3020
    Set ctl = Nothing
    Set frm = Nothing

Error3020Timer_Exit:
    On Error Resume Next
    Exit Function
Error3020Timer_Err:
    Select Case Err
        Case 3162 ' IOW Invalid use of Null
            ' happens if the mvarCtlValue3020 got null from the
handler and the ctl in
            ' question was a checkbox, as it's the current control it
had no text
            ' property in the handler so a null was returned. Not sure
what happens at
            ' this stage as it's difficult to see being as the error
occurs randomly
            ' and only occasionally. Hopefully the value of the
checkbox will be changed
            ' to what the user wants but if not then it should look
like the user is
            ' cack handed and didn't click on it properly... hehe.
            Resume Next
        Case Else
            LogMsgBox Err, Err.Description, 16, "Error #" & Err & " In
Error3020Timer() while trying to recover from Error 3020"
    End Select
    Resume Error3020Timer_Exit
    Resume
End Function
Function ControlValue(pctl As Control) As Variant
    ' TB 30/10/2001
    ' Returns the value of a control, if that control
    ' is something that doesn't have one then returns:
    ' #Error <num> - <errortext>
    '
    On Error Resume Next

    Dim varvalue As Variant
    varvalue = Null
    varvalue = pctl.Value
    If Err.Number Then
        varvalue = "#Error " & Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
    End If
    ControlValue = varvalue
End Function

--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.
0

MS Access 2.0 "reserved error -1302 There is no message for this error"
Hi, Folks! I am trying to resurrect a copy of MS Access 2.0 (MS Office 4.3) under WFW v3.11. I cannot start up Access because of a couple of error messages (paraphrased): 1. Opening Access: "Cannot open SYSTEM.MDA, file exclusively locked" 2. When I try to join SYSTEM.MDA in Workgroup Administrator it goes through okay but Access comes up with the same error message. 3. When trying to create a new SYSTEM.MDA file in Workgroup Administrator: "Reserved Error (-1302)..." What the Fudge!?! Does anyone know what's going on? Does anyone know how it can be fixed? Any feedback is appreciated. TIA Rename the file. Check Share.exe (david) <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote in message news:MY6dndjcvdjflQDdRVn2hA@giganews.com... > Hi, Folks! > > I am trying to resurrect a copy of MS Access 2.0 (MS Office 4.3) under WFW > v3.11. I cannot start up Access because of a couple of error messages > (paraphrased): > > 1. Opening Access: "Cannot open SYSTEM.MDA, file exclusively locked" > > 2. When I try to join SYSTEM.MDA in Workgroup Administrator it goes through > okay but Access comes up with the same error message. > > 3. When trying to create a new SYSTEM.MDA file in Workgroup Administrator: > "Reserved Error (-1302)..." > > What the Fudge!?! > > Does anyone know what's going on? > > Does anyone know how it can be fixed? > > Any feedback is appreciated. > TIA ...

Error Writing to MS Access Database with Replication
Greetings, I have a Microsoft Access database that is replicated accross several computers using the built-in Access replication technology. Access replication supports automatically synchronizing updates that have been applied separately to each copy of the database. When replication is enabled in MS Access, a number of "system" columns are added to every table in the database in order to facilitate the synchronization database. Note that these columns are not visible by default within MS Access. I would like to insert new rows into one of the tables in this database using PROC SQL. The statements that I am using to perform this function worked fine before replication was enabled on the database. After replication was enabled, I now receive an error which indicates that SAS is attempting to modify the contents of the replication system columns. SAS should NOT be doing this, as the contents of these columns are automatically maintained by MS Access, and are protected against modification by external applications. The code that I am using, and the error message that I receive are provided below. Can anyone advise of a simple solution to this problem? Perhaps some other option to the libname statement or connect string that I have overlooked...? Thanks, s/KAM 508 %let MJFile=\\Speedy\D\Program Files\MJ Systems \LogSleuth2\Database\LogSleuth.mdb; <snip> 525 libname MJ ODBC noprompt="uid=admin;pwd=&MJPW;dsn=MS Access Database;DBQ=&MJ...

MS Jet database engine error message
In Access'97, I am currently trying to run a Select query, which I normally run every week, without problem, until now. I am currently getting the following error message; The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time I'm not trying to change anything, nor do I believe that anyone else is, or should be in my database. Does anyone now what this means and how I can resolve it and continue with my normal process? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks Delete the LDB file when there's no-one using the MDB file (including you). Thanks for this, but unfortunately, there's no *.ldb file (have shown hidden file types etc). I'm currently running my SQ again, taking each tbl & qry out one at a time to see if I can pin-point the error. However, when viewing each tbl behind my SQ individual they're ok, as are the SQ's (there's two sub within the main one) when I run them seperately. Any more suggestions? Many thanks. ...

Intercepting error Access error messages
Is it possible to intercept an error message, generated by Access, and replace it with your own warning. For example entering a duplicate entry for a key field? Thanks Geoff Use the Before Update event of the control in the form to check for duplicate. Set Cancel = true, undo the edit and output a message if there is an error. There are example in Access help under beforeupdate. "Geoff" <gfriar@freenetname.co.uk> wrote in message news:PaKdnTzR1uc84HXYRVnyuAA@brightview.com... > Is it possible to intercept an error message, generated by Access, and > replace it with your own warning. For example entering a duplicate entry > for a key field? > > > > Thanks > > Geoff > > Check out the Form_OnError event. -Tom. Well, you can definitely write VBA code to intercept Access errors and do your own thing in response to them instead of, or in addition to, whatever Access was going to do. So sure, you could display your own message instead of Access'. In addition -- I've never done this, but I'm pretty sure I've read about it -- you can register your own error numbers and error descriptions. So I suppose once you've done that, you can intercept Access' error and Raise your own. But I repeat, I've never done it so I don't know what the problems might be. --- Bob Bridges, rhbridg@attglobal.net, cell 336 382-7313 (hotel) 612 869-7704 xt 118, fax 612 869-7383 /* A crooked politici...

Would like to somehow link specific eMails in my message store to MS Access database
Is it possible for me to open, read and display a specific eMail message from within an Access database? Perhaps I have received an eMail from a customer in the customers table that I wish to save in my mail client's message store. Maybe I don't want to cut 'n paste its contents into a memo field in the customers table. I just want to save a pointer to it so when flipping through customer records on a form, I can pull it up & view it inside the database. Any suggestions? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx MLH <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote: >Is it possible for me to open, read and display a specific eMail >message from within an Access database? Perhaps I have >received an eMail from a customer in the customers table that >I wish to save in my mail client's message store. Maybe I don't >want to cut 'n paste its contents into a memo field in the customers >table. I just want to save a pointer to it so when flipping through >customer records on a form, I can pull it up & view it inside the >database. Any suggestions? Microsoft Access Email FAQ http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/email.htm Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can read the entire thread of messages. Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm Thanks for the hint, Tony. Unfortunately the examples on the site you recommende...

ADO Connection Open fails with error -2147467259 when MS Access database under Source Safe
Immediately after generating the Access application from the Source Safe project I get: "-2147467259 Could not use ''; file already in use." If Access database closed and then reopened I get: "-2147467259 The database has been place in a state by user 'Admin' on machine ..... that prevents it from being opened or locked." This error will then persist - even past a machine reboot and compact and repair of both application db (without source safe removal) and 'server' db. If I remove the Access application from Source Safe the ADO connection opens fine. (Might have to close database and reopen it to get it working the first time after eliminating source safe.) I do not appear to be short on memory. Am using: Access 2003 with sp1 Source Safe 6.0d Windows XP Professional with sp2 Database in Access 2002-2003 format Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.7 Library I have isolated error in test database with just one table and one form. Test1 fails under source safe while Test2 - which avoids use of the offending open command -works regardless of use of source safe. Any illumination on this would be appreciated. I have found the Source Safe & Access combination hard going but I do not want to loose source code control. This issue has undermined my confidence in these tools yet again. Many thanks. GM Option Compare Database Option Explicit Private Sub cmdTest1_Click() On Error GoTo Error_Handler Dim cnn As ADODB.Conne...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide me with a list to start researching. Thanks, Joe There used to be other third-party report writers, but I don't know how many have survived over the years -- Crystal Reports appears to have been the most popular of these packages. (It is the only one that I have observed closely in use, and I saw some impressive work done with it on web applications against SQL Server.) Unless the magnitude of the distributable would be a problem, you can create your reports in Access, and distribute the Access application to run them with Access' runtime support. You'll get the Access runtime support in the Office Developer Edition for Access 97 - 2002, and in the Visual Studio.NET Tools for Office 2003 System for Access 2003. If you have difficulties with deployment using only the Packaging and Distribution Wizard, you can use a third-party installer such as Wise InstallMaster or Instal...

Error Message Help "Error Accessing File"
Hello, I don't understand this error message." Error accessing File. Network Connection may have been lost." I'm not using any network connection for the database. In the VBA editor is goes to "Private Sub Form_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)". I have been making a bunch of changes and I'm sure I have done something to corrupt this mdb but I don't know where to start of this one. I hope there is help for me... Thanks Norris x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD The best collection of information and links about corruption that I know about is at MVP Tony Toews' site, http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm. Take a look there and see if you find something useful. Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP "N. Graves" <ngraves@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9e4vuvgb6gn8a3hjs6dbg9ohjfhn9f6t7m@4ax.com... > Hello, > > I don't understand this error message." Error accessing File. Network > Connection may have been lost." I'm not using any network connection > for the database. In the VBA editor is goes to "Private Sub > Form_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)". I have been making a bunch of > changes and I'm sure I have done something to corrupt this mdb but I > don't know where to start of this one. > > I hope t...

Error Message: "Error accessing product object method"
We get the Error message "Error accessing product object method" when we execute the following Lotus Script instruction: Call outlineTW.Save() in an agent. Our developer uses the Notes 5 Designer and those who have problems use the Notes 6 clients. Could it be the cause of the prolem? Or else: any help please? Hi Lucky Luke, > We get the Error message "Error accessing product object method" when > we execute the following Lotus Script instruction: Call > outlineTW.Save() in an agent. What type of object is outlineTW? I'm writing a script lib...

Error when using Microsoft Data Access Objects (DAO) to interface with MS Access
MATLAB doesn't seem to like several of the methods available with some MIcrosoft Data Access Objects (DAO). >> DBName = 'C:\CourseTechnology\86092-1d\Access\Brief\Case1\Videos.mdb'; >> SQLServer = DBInitialize; >> TableName = 'Client'; >> Data = DB.OpenRecordset(['SELECT * FROM ' TableName ';']); >> DB.TableDefs(TableName) ??? Index exceeds matrix dimensions. >> td = DB.CreateTableDef td = Interface.Microsoft_DAO_3.6_Object_Library._TableDef >> dbstr = ';DATABASE=C:\CourseTechnology\86092...

Web resources about - error message! - comp.databases.ms-access

Message - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A message is a discrete unit of communication intended by the source for consumption by some recipient or group of recipients. A message may ...

How a Perth SAS soldier’s spiritual message from beyond the grave changed lives
SOMETHING was telling Charlotte she had to go. She didn’t want to. She never left her cousin’s farm in the northwest of NSW before enjoying a ...

How a Perth SAS soldier’s spiritual message from beyond the grave changed lives - PerthNow Search Search ...
SOMETHING was telling Charlotte she had to go. She didn’t want to. She never left her cousin’s farm in the northwest of NSW before enjoying a ...

OS X 10.11.4 is now available, Mac gains Live Photos on Messages + secure Notes & more
Apple has officially released the OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan update through the Mac App Store. The software update is available for all Macs capable ...

WhatsApp testing text formatting to include bold and italics in messages
The latest beta release of WhatsApp features some basic text formatting options including bold and italics. While features in beta versions of ...

The Fed's Hidden Message
Officials are strangely OK with low inflation. The U.S. Federal Reserve's latest economic projections contain an encoded message crucial to understanding ...

How 'deceptive' sponsored news articles could be tricking readers — even with a disclosure message
Most online publishers use some form of native advertising — ads that look like news stories — to grow revenue. It is accepted practice to declare ...

WATCH: Tom Izzo’s Emotional Message To Denzel Valentine After Michigan State’s Shocking Loss
"We just got beat," Izzo managed to croak out after a 90-81 loss to No. 15 seed Middle Tennessee State on Friday ended their pursuit far sooner ...

Duckworth: We sent a loud and clear message today
Duckworth: We sent a loud and clear message today. March 15, 2016. (WGN-TV)

What’s Taking So Long With that Email? Google Adds Smart Reply To Messages
Not sure how to reply to that email about your upcoming class reunion from Karen? Don’t worry your pretty little head, Google has apparently ...