Excel database query does not work after securing an Access database

Hi all,

I'd appreciate if someone could give me a hint to this little annoying
problem:

I have a simple database that I want to be able to query from Excel.
When I use the "new database query" wizard on an unsecured version of
my database, everything works fine. I am able to read the tables and
queries, I can build customized queries in Excel from the Access
tables/queries.

Now, the moment I secure my database I loose all connectiviity between
Excel and Access. The wizard won't even connect to the database. When
I add permission to "open/read database" object through "Users and
Groups Permission" in Access, I am able to connect to the database and
see all the tables/queries, but it does not show the fields.

I thought that in theory if I add permissions to "read design" and
"read data" to my tables and queries for the regular users that should
solve the problem, but it doesn't.

I am obviously missing something somewhere, but what? I searched the
web but could not find anyting. I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 and
Access 2003 and Excel 2003.

Any advice????

Michael

I'm actually just facing this problem as well myself, and have no
answer.  I have a secure database that's split front and backend.
I've had split secure databases before where I have been able to query
via excel, but for some reason, this one won't let me.

MS Access Database Query
Hi, first of all I have to say I'am new to MS Access, I'm used to database systems like Oracle or MySQL. I created a simple database consisting of a single table and a form to fill in new entrys and search for existing entrys. But the search function that Access generates as I created the proper button is way to simple, I need a function that enables to search in several columns. I saw a few quite simple examples where this was done by DAO, but this doesn't work with a .mdb database, does it? (Access allways replies 'Unknown user datatype' once it gets to the line: 'Dim...

query ms access database from the user
At college i have been given this piece of untidy code because it mixes a gui interface with the console, i prefare one or the other, but its not my code, i understand what it does. It opens the database CarDB by using the java odbc (Open Database Connectivity ) driver and searches for the row make with nissan and displays to the screen as text in a gui text box the columns Registration, Model, Year, Price in the same row as the nissan . I would like the programme to ask the user which car their want to search for . Unfortunately i do not learn at college or have taught myself sql. If i am understanding proberly the line ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery( "SELECT Registration, Model, Year, Price FROM Table1 where Make='nissan'"); is where the query starts, but its hardcoded in, i presume i need to have a line similar to ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery( "SELECT Registration, Model, Year, Price FROM Table1 request Make=' '") or something similar, am i along the correct lines? here is the code.. import java.sql.*; //import javax.swing.JOptionPane; //import javax.swing.JTextArea; import java.io.*; public class Car2 { public static void main(String args[]){ Connection connection; Statement st; String out=""; JTextArea display=new JTextArea(); try{ Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); connection= DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:odbc:CarDB","","");...

Updating MS-Access Database query
hello i need to update my MS-Access database thru matlab. when using the following code using function "updates" it updates the database i.e .......whereClause = 'where month = ''Nov'''..... Here "Nov" is an entry in the database. Now when i assign a variable to the months..ie variable name "MNTH" could contain Jan /Feb etc,.....and i want to pass the variable "MNTH" ie .......whereClause = 'where month = ''MNTH'''..... it DOES NOT update the database and i receive the error .....error in horxcat......

UPDATE VALUE IN ACCESS DATABASE-CONNECTIVITY DATABASE?
Hi to all labviewers, I'm trying to update some values in my access database with sql and labview connectivity toolset but i got an error, what is the problem whit my code? note: when i try to update one colum it's work fine. &nbsp; regard's eyal. UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/152737/1/UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C5EE8B.DE98AE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I'm not sure if you can use comma's to se...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Database question, Vb6 SP5, DAO, Access database
I posted this message in a VB database newsgroup 5 days ago and have not received any answers. Since this newsgroup has been very supportive in VB, I am posting it here (with changes) in hopes of getting an answer. Jim Y Using a database is still new for me. I do not know all the terms, so I hope I can explain my question. I wrote a program in VB6 SP5 using DAO. It works with no known problems (yet), I had to add/modify the database and program to include an additional variable. This program has been installed on a friends PC with XP and I want to upgrade it with the new version. My que...

Access project database
Why isn't a database created on the MSDE?? Network: Two Win2K Pro machines connected as peers. (No domains.) MS Access is on X, MSDE2000A is on H. MS Access is run under: Windows Administrator. MSDE is set for Windows Authentication only. On using the Microsoft SQL Server Database Wizard to create an Access project, I don't specify a usename or password. After the wizard says it has the info it needs, it closes and a progress bar appears for a only a split second as the wizard tries to create the database. Indications are that the connections to the MSDE was dropped during creatio...

Is there a way to update a web database from an desktop Access database?
Hi, I would like to be able to take records from an Access database (most likely 2010) and update them to whatever database is being used on a web server? For instance, I would like to extract someone's calendar from an Access application and let them sign in and see what their calendar is for a certain time period. I know how to extract the data from Access, but not how to post it onto someone's website (which could be using MySQL, SQL Server). -paulw ...

Web resources about - Excel database query does not work after securing an Access database - comp.databases.ms-access