Excel database query does not work after securing an Access database

Hi all,

I'd appreciate if someone could give me a hint to this little annoying
problem:

I have a simple database that I want to be able to query from Excel.
When I use the "new database query" wizard on an unsecured version of
my database, everything works fine. I am able to read the tables and
queries, I can build customized queries in Excel from the Access
tables/queries.

Now, the moment I secure my database I loose all connectiviity between
Excel and Access. The wizard won't even connect to the database. When
I add permission to "open/read database" object through "Users and
Groups Permission" in Access, I am able to connect to the database and
see all the tables/queries, but it does not show the fields.

I thought that in theory if I add permissions to "read design" and
"read data" to my tables and queries for the regular users that should
solve the problem, but it doesn't.

I am obviously missing something somewhere, but what? I searched the
web but could not find anyting. I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 and
Access 2003 and Excel 2003.

Any advice????

Michael

I'm actually just facing this problem as well myself, and have no
answer.  I have a secure database that's split front and backend.
I've had split secure databases before where I have been able to query
via excel, but for some reason, this one won't let me.