Excel VBA Query Using Access Database Hangs on 2nd Execute

(I've also posted this problem on microsoft.public.excel.programming)

I have a MS Access 2003 Database named "AS400 Fields.mdb".  This
database contains links to tables on an AS400.

In MS Excel 2003, I have VBA code that creates and executes queries
using the Access database, and returns the results to an Excel sheet.

The first time the query is executed, results are returned to Excel in
usually less than 10 seconds.  However, if the query is executed a
second time (without closing the Excel workbook), the code hangs at
the line surrounded by "=",s in the code below (this was tested with
message boxes).  If the Excel file containing the VBA code is closed
and re-opened the code executes normally.

(Some statements may be unnecessary - they are attempts at resolving
the issue)

Private Sub Execute_Query()
    Dim Db As Database
    Dim Qd As QueryDef
    Dim Rs As Recordset
    Dim x As Integer
    Const strDatabaseName As String = "My Server Location Goes
Here\AS400 Fields.mdb"

    Set Db = Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(strDatabaseName)
        On Error Resume Next
        Db.QueryDefs.Delete ("TempQry")
        On Error GoTo 0

    Set Qd = Db.CreateQueryDef("TempQry", QryStr)
    Qd.ODBCTimeout = 0
    '========================================================
    Set Rs = Qd.OpenRecordset()
    '========================================================
    Rs.MoveLast
    Rs.MoveFirst

    'Read in the field names
    With ActiveSheet
        For x = 0 To Rs.Fields.Count - 1
            .Cells(ActiveCell.Row, x + 1).Value = Rs.Fields(x).Name
        Next
    End With
    Rs.MoveFirst

    'Copy the data
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    ActiveCell.CopyFromRecordset Rs
    Rs.Close
    Qd.Close
    Db.QueryDefs.Delete ("TempQry")

    Db.Close
    Set Qd = Nothing

    Set Rs = Nothing
    Set Db = Nothing

    DBEngine.Idle dbFreeLocks
    DBEngine.Workspaces(0).Close
End Sub

Several considerations are noted.

The database is compacted and has remained at 16,488KB - no data is
actually stored from Excel queries in the Access database - only
linked tables to the AS400 and the temporary query definition.

I have two computers side by side, both connected to the server.

On computer 1, I opened Excel and the file, ran the code getting
desired results.  Without closing Excel or the file, I re-ran the
program and no data or error was returned after an appropriate time -
the hour-glass was displayed.  I did not stop the code (this can't be
done with control break), but left Excel and the file "running" and
moved to computer 2.

On computer 2, I opened read-only the same file as on computer 1 from
the server location (only after computer 1 hung-up).  I ran the code
and received the same results as were received the first time the code
was run on computer 1, within seconds.  The code on computer 2 was
executed again and the computer "hung-up".

Note that both computers were executing the same code from the same
server file, and that both computers were using the same Access
Database on the server.  It doesn't appear that an AS400 connection
problem within Access exists - computer 2 was able to use the DB even
while Computer 1 was using it.  Both computers are Intel Pentium 4
2.66GH 248MB Windows XP SP1 Office 2003.

I wonder if this is a "memory leak" problem - somewhat similar to the
Microsoft article 319998 concerning Excel sheets?  I modified my code
to create a new instance of Excel as per article 246335, but the
problem still occurs.  If I manually close the instance of Excel that
ran the VBA, manually open another instance, and re-run the VBA, no
problem seems to occur.

Other MS KB articles discuss problems with linked tables (ID 208379),
but so far, nothing seems to help.

Thanks for your input - any suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

Excel database query does not work after securing an Access database
Hi all, I'd appreciate if someone could give me a hint to this little annoying problem: I have a simple database that I want to be able to query from Excel. When I use the "new database query" wizard on an unsecured version of my database, everything works fine. I am able to read the tables and queries, I can build customized queries in Excel from the Access tables/queries. Now, the moment I secure my database I loose all connectiviity between Excel and Access. The wizard won't even connect to the database. When I add permission to "open/read database" object through "Users and Groups Permission" in Access, I am able to connect to the database and see all the tables/queries, but it does not show the fields. I thought that in theory if I add permissions to "read design" and "read data" to my tables and queries for the regular users that should solve the problem, but it doesn't. I am obviously missing something somewhere, but what? I searched the web but could not find anyting. I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 and Access 2003 and Excel 2003. Any advice???? Michael I'm actually just facing this problem as well myself, and have no answer. I have a secure database that's split front and backend. I've had split secure databases before where I have been able to query via excel, but for some reason, this one won't let me. ...

how to access data iin a MS Excel file using database components?
Can we read data in columns from an MS Excel file? It is possible to use the usual database components in the Delphi palete to read data in an excel file? but how? ...

MS Access Database Query
Hi, first of all I have to say I'am new to MS Access, I'm used to database systems like Oracle or MySQL. I created a simple database consisting of a single table and a form to fill in new entrys and search for existing entrys. But the search function that Access generates as I created the proper button is way to simple, I need a function that enables to search in several columns. I saw a few quite simple examples where this was done by DAO, but this doesn't work with a .mdb database, does it? (Access allways replies 'Unknown user datatype' once it gets to the line: 'Dim...

Updating MS-Access Database query
hello i need to update my MS-Access database thru matlab. when using the following code using function "updates" it updates the database i.e .......whereClause = 'where month = ''Nov'''..... Here "Nov" is an entry in the database. Now when i assign a variable to the months..ie variable name "MNTH" could contain Jan /Feb etc,.....and i want to pass the variable "MNTH" ie .......whereClause = 'where month = ''MNTH'''..... it DOES NOT update the database and i receive the error .....error in horxcat......

query ms access database from the user
At college i have been given this piece of untidy code because it mixes a gui interface with the console, i prefare one or the other, but its not my code, i understand what it does. It opens the database CarDB by using the java odbc (Open Database Connectivity ) driver and searches for the row make with nissan and displays to the screen as text in a gui text box the columns Registration, Model, Year, Price in the same row as the nissan . I would like the programme to ask the user which car their want to search for . Unfortunately i do not learn at college or have taught myself sql. If i am understanding proberly the line ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery( "SELECT Registration, Model, Year, Price FROM Table1 where Make='nissan'"); is where the query starts, but its hardcoded in, i presume i need to have a line similar to ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery( "SELECT Registration, Model, Year, Price FROM Table1 request Make=' '") or something similar, am i along the correct lines? here is the code.. import java.sql.*; //import javax.swing.JOptionPane; //import javax.swing.JTextArea; import java.io.*; public class Car2 { public static void main(String args[]){ Connection connection; Statement st; String out=""; JTextArea display=new JTextArea(); try{ Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); connection= DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:odbc:CarDB","","");...

Access 2003 database will not open using Access 2002
Hi everyone. I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the following error "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..." Could anyone please help to resolve this issue. Many thanks. Joe. Use Access 2003 to decompile the database. To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the quotes: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb" Then compact the database to get rid of this junk: Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version of Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's supposed to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open the database in A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In practice, this doesn't always work. The decompile explicitly discarding the binary, which usually solves the problem. This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling when switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, r...

Using Access to 'access' an sql database on a webserver
Is this possible? I know about a bit about ODBC and found how to import an ODBC database stored on the computer, however I am after accessing an SQL database stored on a webserver. I'd like to keep it up to date, but that could probably be done with a macro. At the moment I'm just considoring possible options, so just need to know if it can be done, how easy and a rough idea of how. Any help would be much appreciated! Flic On 6 Oct 2006 03:59:25 -0700, "Flic" <FelicityP@gmail.com> wrote: I typically create an ADP, then connect to such db specifying the IP address and the u/pw I got from the ISP. -Tom. >Is this possible? > >I know about a bit about ODBC and found how to import an ODBC database >stored on the computer, however I am after accessing an SQL database >stored on a webserver. I'd like to keep it up to date, but that could >probably be done with a macro. > >At the moment I'm just considoring possible options, so just need to >know if it can be done, how easy and a rough idea of how. > >Any help would be much appreciated! > >Flic Yes, you can connect to the sql server. However, how that server is exposed to the wild wild internet is another matter!! Most (if not all) administrators of their web sites NEVER EVER allow their database server to be exposed to a wide open port on the internet. So, can you do this...sure. However, you need go to web server, and setup the permissions to a...

using a remote MySQL Database in MS Access
Hello Probably, this is a beginners question, but I am stuck on it. I am trying to use a MYSQL Database on a remote server from inside an MS Access program. Therefore I have to create an ODBC data source. Now is my question: Where can I do this. I suppose it is the Windows Start | Control Panel | Admin Tools | Data Sources menu, but there, I cannot find what selections I have to make for a remote MySQL Database. I don't have a "MySQL" driver or something. Thanks for any help. LR lucky wrote: > Hello > > Probably, this is a beginners question, but I am stuck on it. > I am trying to use a MYSQL Database on a remote server from > inside an MS Access program. > > Therefore I have to create an ODBC data source. > Now is my question: Where can I do this. > > I suppose it is the Windows Start | Control Panel | Admin Tools | Data Sources > menu, but there, I cannot find what selections I have to make for a remote > MySQL Database. I don't have a "MySQL" driver or something. Go to Google.com & enter the following as a search string: "mysql driver" You get thousands of references. -- MGFoster:::mgf00 <at> earthlink <decimal-point> net Oakland, CA (USA) ...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Web resources about - Excel VBA Query Using Access Database Hangs on 2nd Execute - comp.databases.ms-access