Forcing a New Line in a Text Field in MS Access using VB

Heya!

I feel I'm beating an old horse to death with this question but I
can't get around the problem.

I want to update a text field on a form with a string from a VB
module. I need enter/linefeeds in the string.

I've tried:
   Chr(10) & Chr(13)
   Chr(13) & Chr(10
   vbnewline
   vbcrlf
none of which seem to work.
I've set the properties for the text box to [Enter Key Behavior] =
'New Line In Field' and [Can Grow] = 'yes'.

At the moment, my code looks like this:
      celsql = celsql _
             & "Program: " & encname _
             & vbCrLf _
             & vbCrLf _
             & "Start Time: " & sttim _
             & vbCrLf _
             & "Participants: " & numpart _
             & vbCrLf _
             & "Confirmed by Curator: " & cbc _
             & vbCrLf _
             & "Client: " & clntnm _
             & vbCrLf _
             & "Contact: " & cntct _
             & vbCrLf _
             & vbCrLf
     Forms(frm)(bts) = celsql

If I toss this string into a [MsgBox], it comes out fine. It's just
something about the text field...

I'm working in MSAccess 2007, but need it backwards compatible to
2003.

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Cheers,
KG

I've seen this type of problem before, but I typically just use a
separate text box for each data field.  Is there a particular reason
why you're trying to fit this all into a single text box?
0
rdpacer (9)
11/19/2007 8:16:06 PM
Thanks for asking! It's a long story :)

I've used unbound Access forms backed by a fair bit of VB code to
generate interactive calendars. Each textbox is the cell for a given
date. The program updates information into the cell for one or more
[event]s occurring on that date. Each [event] is comprised of the text
string above. Users print off the calendars to post around the
workplace. Since there can be more than one [event] per text box
(day), I can't easily use multiple text boxes (although it would be
possible).

I know I'm pushing the edge of what Access can cope with and am likely
better off creating interactive calendars from scratch using VB. If
there's no easy patch or solution, I'll look for some other way to do
it. I was thinking maybe I had the wrong [References] selected?

Thanks for the help!

KG :)
On Nov 19, 11:52 am, Bubo.virginia...@gmail.com wrote:
> Heya!
>
> I feel I'm beating an old horse to death with this question but I
> can't get around the problem.
>
> I want to update a text field on a form with a string from a VB
> module. I need enter/linefeeds in the string.
>
> I've tried:
>    Chr(10) & Chr(13)
>    Chr(13) & Chr(10
>    vbnewline
>    vbcrlf
> none of which seem to work.
> I've set the properties for the text box to [Enter Key Behavior] =
> 'New Line In Field' and [Can Grow] = 'yes'.
>
> At the moment, my code looks like this:
>       celsql = celsql _
>              & "Program: " & encname _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & "Start Time: " & sttim _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & "Participants: " & numpart _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & "Confirmed by Curator: " & cbc _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & "Client: " & clntnm _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & "Contact: " & cntct _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & vbCrLf
>      Forms(frm)(bts) = celsql
>
> If I toss this string into a [MsgBox], it comes out fine. It's just
> something about the text field...
>
> I'm working in MSAccess 2007, but need it backwards compatible to
> 2003.
>
> I'd really appreciate any advice.
>
> Cheers,
> KG

This works for me in Access 2007 (that is the line breaks are shown):

Private Sub Command38_Click()
Me.Notes.Value = "Education includes a BA in psychology from Colorado
State University in 1970." _
& vbNewLine _
& "She also completed 'The Art of the Cold Call.'" _
& vbNewLine _
& "Nancy is a member of Toastmasters International."
End Sub

The textbox shows:

Bubo.virginianus@gmail.com wrote:

> Heya!
>
> I feel I'm beating an old horse to death with this question but I
> can't get around the problem.
>
> I want to update a text field on a form with a string from a VB
> module. I need enter/linefeeds in the string.
>
> I've tried:
>    Chr(10) & Chr(13)
>    Chr(13) & Chr(10
>    vbnewline
>    vbcrlf
> none of which seem to work.
> I've set the properties for the text box to [Enter Key Behavior] =
> 'New Line In Field' and [Can Grow] = 'yes'.
>
> At the moment, my code looks like this:
>       celsql = celsql _
>              & "Program: " & encname _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & "Start Time: " & sttim _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & "Participants: " & numpart _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & "Confirmed by Curator: " & cbc _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & "Client: " & clntnm _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & "Contact: " & cntct _
>              & vbCrLf _
>              & vbCrLf
>      Forms(frm)(bts) = celsql
>
> If I toss this string into a [MsgBox], it comes out fine. It's just
> something about the text field...
>
> I'm working in MSAccess 2007, but need it backwards compatible to
> 2003.
>
> I'd really appreciate any advice.
>
> Cheers,
> KG

I created a form in A97 (not 2007, I know) with a TextBox and Command
button.  The code below works just fine.  I didn't bother with setting
grow props and I kept the keystrokes as default (IOW, not the enter
key).  If it doesn't work, it might be an A2007 thing.

Now...I did not make this a bound field to a table.  I'd use a Memo
field if that were the case.  Are you using a Text field with a small
number of characters as its length?

Private Sub Command2_Click()
     MsgBox Me.Text0
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Current()
     s = "Program: " & "Is" _
              & vbCrLf _
              & vbCrLf _
              & "Start Time: " & Now() _
              & vbCrLf _
              & "Participants: " & 1 _
              & vbCrLf _
              & "Confirmed by Curator: " & "Yes" _
              & vbCrLf _
              & "Client: " & "Customer" _
              & vbCrLf _
              & "Contact: " & "Client" _
              & vbCrLf _
              & vbCrLf
     Forms("Form1")("Text0") = s
End Sub
0
oil (4047)
11/20/2007 5:45:13 PM
I use Access 2000, but unless it's been changed since, the "Can Grow"
property only works when the form is printed (or previewed), not when it's on
the screen as a form.  Check the help file for your version.

John

Bubo.virginianus@gmail.com wrote:
>Heya!
>
>I feel I'm beating an old horse to death with this question but I
>can't get around the problem.
>
>I want to update a text field on a form with a string from a VB
>module. I need enter/linefeeds in the string.
>
>I've tried:
>   Chr(10) & Chr(13)
>   Chr(13) & Chr(10
>   vbnewline
>   vbcrlf
>none of which seem to work.
>I've set the properties for the text box to [Enter Key Behavior] =
>'New Line In Field' and [Can Grow] = 'yes'.
>
>At the moment, my code looks like this:
>      celsql = celsql _
>             & "Program: " & encname _
>             & vbCrLf _
>             & vbCrLf _
>             & "Start Time: " & sttim _
>             & vbCrLf _
>             & "Participants: " & numpart _
>             & vbCrLf _
>             & "Confirmed by Curator: " & cbc _
>             & vbCrLf _
>             & "Client: " & clntnm _
>             & vbCrLf _
>             & "Contact: " & cntct _
>             & vbCrLf _
>             & vbCrLf
>     Forms(frm)(bts) = celsql
>
>If I toss this string into a [MsgBox], it comes out fine. It's just
>something about the text field...
>
>I'm working in MSAccess 2007, but need it backwards compatible to
>2003.
>
>I'd really appreciate any advice.
>
>Cheers,
>KG

J_Goddard

copying data from MS-SQL to MS-Access using VB.Net
Hi there, I'm trying to use MSAccess as a "container" to move data around from one MS-SQL server DB to another. This is basically already a design decision that has been made for a lot of reasons and can't be changed by me. What I was wondering is what is the bet way to populate the MS-Access DB. The DB will only contain 6 tables which will have a very small amount of data in them. I have tried to use ADO.Net to read the data from MS-SQL into a DataTable and then save it into the MS-Access DB using again using a DataTable populated from the first, but I can't seem to ge...

HELP! Retriving field names and properties from MS Access database using ASP
Hi everyone! I have a really frustrating error and need help. I’m trying to do a function that gets the properties and names of the fields in a MS Access database using ASP. I haven’t programmed in a while so I’m quite lost. Once I have the my database structure I will insert the corresponding fields from a web form but the database is huge and I want to be able to change the database and form without changing the ASP code all the time. This is my function that is not working yet. I cant seem to connect properly to the database... Function InsertDataBase() ...

Accessing MS-Access from OpenRoad using ActiveX
Hi I'm wanting to conect to an MS-Access MDB file from an OpenRoad program using ActiveX. Can someone tell me the files I need to use/register for Windows XP? Any other help or suggestions would be most appreciated. Darren dharvey911@hotmail.com ...

Access needs to be installed for me to use MS Access
Hi, Is it required for MS Access to be installed on machines on which I need to deploy windows app which uses MS Access as its backend. If no then how do I access and wrie to access database? Thanks, Vikas. <vikassah@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166161668.556801.183030@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is it required for MS Access to be installed on machines on which I > need to deploy windows app which uses MS Access as its backend. If no > then how do I access and wrie to access database? If Access, or the Access runtime (from the developer extensio...

Fire-up MS Access Database from VB and Leave it Running When VB App is Closed?
Hiya, Anybody know how to do this please? I am opening Access from VB using the code below. However, I don't want Access to close when objAccess goes out of scope. I would like Access to remain open - like MS Excel does if you write similar code. I am trying to avoid using the Shell function because I don't want to have to search for MSAccess.exe first. If you step through the code and click on the Access session before continuing through the VB code, it seems to know that you have interacted with it and leaves Access open. I have tried throwing in an AppActivate "MsAccess"...

How to get Graphs from MS Access and use them in MS Powerpoint
Is there any easy way how to use graphs created in MS Access 2000 in Powerpoint?Especially when I need to use about 20 of them. Is there any development in Office 2003? Oskar *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! Instead of creating the graphs in Access, perhaps you should use vba either (a) to open Powerpoint from within Access and create the graph by pushing data into a Powerpoint template of your own design or (b) start Powerpoint and open the Access database in code and pull the data into a graph. Eith...

Using VBA to toggle from MS Word to MS Access?
Access 2003, Windows XP SP2 I have an application that generates a word document populated with a variety of fields from Access tables. The word document is generated when the user presses a button (cmdGenerateAgreement) on a form (frmTransaction). I want the process to work as follows: 1. User presses button 2. Word document is opened and populated 3. Access screen becomes visible with a message box 4. User presses Ok 5. Word screen becomes visible for finalization My question is how do I achieve steps 3 and 5? I've tried SetFocus, Access Web's API: Manipulate Window (fSetAccessWindow), and a lot of browsing in the newsgroups. Nothing seems to work. My guess is that this functionality will require a call to the Windows API. I've read all the relevant sections in my Access books, and nothing specific to this situation is mentioned. Can this functionality be accessed using VBA? If so, any help or direction would be appreciated. If not, can anyone think of a work around? Thank you, Kelii My super easy merge does all 5 steps...and you can "enable" ANY screen for merge with ONE line of code.... The sample I have can be found here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html What is nice/interesting about my sample is that is specially designed to enable ANY form with ONE LINE of code.... Thus, each time you build a new form, you can word merge enable it with great ease. Make sure you read the instructions from above, and y...

MS Access Database Replication from VB
Hello, Have any of you ever controlled MS Access Replication from a VB application? I have a VB6 application where I have to send copies of the underlying MS Access 2000 database in remote areas (no LAN or Internet connections), then get the databases back and synchronize them. Any suggestions, articles, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Bie I have done code in Access which replicates six copies of a database together as an automated process. The same method calls can be run in VB as well. (It is Access 97, but I don't think that makes a difference, s long as the versions of ADO, Jet, etc. are all compatible). In VB, you need to set a reference to the "Microsoft Jet and Replication Objects". You will also need the ADODB library. Then you declare a Replica object, set its ActiveConnection property, and call its Synchronize method. I am leaving out the details, of course, but you can track those down in the usual ways. It made sense in my case to do it in Access, in a file that acts like a hub, with all the other replicas as spokes. This is a fairly standard way of arranging replicated databases. You you will need to go around the circle of replicas twice, to be sure all the changes have a chance to get to all the other replicas. When you synchronize in code, you can go around once in ImportChanges mode, then go around again in ExportChanges mode, to cut down on the replication time a little. This was useful doing it over a LAN; in your case, it might ...

MS Access Database Replication from VB
Hello, Have any of you ever controlled MS Access Replication from a VB application? I have a VB6 application where I have to send copies of the underlying MS Access 2000 database in remote areas (no LAN or Internet connections), then get the databases back and synchronize them. Any suggestions, articles, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Bie ...

Using Iseries Access ODBC Driver with MS ACCESS 2003
When Trying attaching databases into MsAccess2003 using Iseries Access ODBC Driver (I'm in OS400 v5r2) I get an error message according to which the duration of connection is too long and so I can't attach the database although I got the list of the tables in the library I specified. Can anyone help me ? Thanks in advance. The timeout to dispay de data is small. You need to increase this timeout. The problem can occur when the tables are very very very (but very) big. "Bertrand Bard" <bbard@dehon.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:d01a5cc.0404280030.58f11d3e@posting.go...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon ...

Creating MS Access databases with VB (.net)
Hello, I am trying to create MS Access databases using VB .net. I can create MS Access 2000 databases OK but also want to create (using VB .net code) 97 format MS Access databases as well. Was using ADOX but the create statement has no parameters for access format and just creates database to whatever format of access you have installed. --- CODE START --- Dim cat As New ADOX.Catalog() Dim sCreateString As String sCreateString = _ "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Test.mdb" cat.Create(sCreateString) --- CODE END --- Cheers Paul M Let me steal from a regul...

Old ms-access file, showing wrong text in access xp
Dear sirs: I've one old .mdb file ( since 97). now when I open it, it converts most of text to strange unicode characters. can I stop this conversion and ask access to just show original non-unicode characters? Thanks Bijan ...

Web resources about - Forcing a New Line in a Text Field in MS Access using VB - comp.databases.ms-access

Forcing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Update to Facebook Messenger for iOS Prevents Scammers from Forcing iPhones to Place Calls
Facebook is rolling out an update to its Messenger application for iOS to protect users from a vulnerability in the operating system that allowed ...

Fascist Iran Forcing Afghan 'Shiia Hazaras' Into Syrian War
In a new escalation of its sectarian involvement in Syria, the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) is reportedly training and sending scores ...

Dubai landlord ‘forcing Discovery Gardens tenants to sign non-renewable contract’
Landlords demand they all vacate or pay a rental amount that is not in line with the Rera index. Mario Volpi is here to help.

German city says OpenOffice shortcomings are forcing it back to Microsoft
The city council in Freiburg, Germany, is planning to ditch an open source office suite and go back to using Microsoft Office.

Growing cyclist numbers forcing major rethink on city bike parking
Developers could be forced to build more bicycle parking spaces and showers for cyclists, under reforms to be considered by the state government. ...

Tax Commissioner Chris Jordan says tougher laws forcing multinationals to play ball
Tax Commissioner says multinationals are approaching&nbsp;the ATO to negotiate ahead of tougher anti-avoidance laws.

Gartner: 7 major trends forcing IT security pros to change
Enterprises are under heavy pressure to change their approach to IT security because of a "nexus of forces" that include big data, social networking, ...

Dangerous surf conditions as effects of Cyclone Winston come to NSW beaches, forcing closures - DailyTelegraph ...
ABOUT 80 per cent of NSW beaches are closed today because of dangerous surf conditions brought on by the effects of Cyclone Winston.

Perth’s hospital patient spending forcing massive health cuts
THE amount of money spent on pat&shy;ients in our southern suburbs hospitals is out of control – forcing the Government to cut the equivalent ...